News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Kirby86

I really want to know the time table. They announced it last June and since then we had 2 pieces of concept art and a video talking about how New Orleans has history in Disneyland. Now Toontown is getting a makeover. Now maybe I'm a little cynical but I'm going to guess Disney has no idea of a time frame.

Dear Prudence

I really want to know the time table. They announced it last June and since then we had 2 pieces of concept art and a video talking about how New Orleans has history in Disneyland. Now Toontown is getting a makeover. Now maybe I'm a little cynical but I'm going to guess Disney has no idea of a time frame.
They also tried to frame five hours of drinking on Bourbon Street as "research."....After they but honey on Beignets in the film the first time around. I am just not optimistic.

CJR

For something that was in development for years before the announcement, they certainly are doing a lot of "last minute" R&D.

My guess is that, truthfully, they had no serious plans to modify Splash Mountain prior to summer 2020 and pretty much started everything just prior to the announcement. Even Magic Happens, which debuted just prior to Disneyland’s closure, had a "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" portion in it. But, yeah, in development for years.

Dear Prudence

I am so tired of "inclusion" being touted when we all know Disney has no moral ground to stand on. PATF also sugar coats and yt washes Jim Crow. The La Bouff fortune comes from where, exactly, again? Facillier is evil because he practices "evil" magic (we all know why Haiti is demonized) and....doesn't want to work. Black cast members and guests alike have raised concerns about the racial profiling and harassment they received at the parks. The parks are pricing out families, and I am sure this especially affects non-yt families. So can we stop pretending it's something that it's not?

Is representation important? Absolutely. Is inclusion a must to move towards a better and more just and cohesive world? Yes. Is this it? No. There's a reason most of the BIPOC and POC on this thread stopped commenting, because people who present themselves as allies do nothing but talk down to and over us. Because God forbid anyone interject reality.

So, anyway, back to talking about how badly Disney is handling this. Splash Mountain, amirite?

peter11435

We'll see. Huge expense, not needed, would shut down a headliner attraction for at least 2 years.

Not a lot going for it actually happening in WDW, but we'll see.

I lump this in with all the other cancelled / greatly reduced projects over the past 5-10 years.
In the grand scheme of things the expense here is not that huge.

Many within the company consider it very much needed for multiple reasons.

There’s more going for it than you think

This is unlikely to get cancelled

Dan Deesnee

In the grand scheme of things the expense here is not that huge.

Many within the company consider it very much needed for multiple reasons.

There’s more going for it than you think

This is unlikely to get cancelled

Some people think it's needed, many more don't.

Like I said, nobody but the top brass at Disney knows if this is actually going to happen in WDW.

Considering that they've been bleeding money, I highly doubt it. The ride is still incredibly popular and the vast majority of guests have no idea that there's some loose affiliation to a problematic movie that most of them have never heard of. Again, not needed in WDW.

peter11435

Some people think it's needed, many more don't.

Like I said, nobody but the top brass at Disney knows if this is actually going to happen in WDW.

Considering that they've been bleeding money, I highly doubt it. The ride is still incredibly popular and the vast majority of guests have no idea that there's some loose affiliation to a problematic movie that most of them have never heard of. Again, not needed in WDW.
The people who matter and make the decisions think it’s needed.

Its going to happen

They announced the project while most of the company was still shut done. If money was going to stop it that would have been the the time. They aren’t bleeding money.

It’s happening. You should prepare yourself

UNCgolf

The people who matter and make the decisions think it’s needed.

Its going to happen

They announced the project while most of the company was still shut done. If money was going to stop it that would have been the the time. They aren’t bleeding money.

It’s happening. You should prepare yourself

Let's not forget they've also been quite active in removing any references to the characters outside of the ride itself, even going so far as to repaint artwork for sale to remove the Brer characters.

There is no way they would make that effort for such relatively small things while leaving the main, gigantic thing untouched. It's absolutely happening.

UNCgolf

People are in denial thinking it won't happen, mostly because they have a nostalgic connection to an IP that has been a mess since it was released 75 years ago.

Call it a *lost cause*

I don't think it's entirely that.

Some people just don't have faith that Disney will build something even remotely comparable in overall quality and so they're wary about a change. I'm among that group -- I think Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is one of Disney's absolute best songs, but outside of that, there's no real loss from changing the IP and I don't care about that aspect of it. I just don't want it to become a lesser ride, and I think that's what we are likely to get.

Regardless, it's definitely happening.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Lots of people just assume it will be *less*

It's currently a damp, matted fur pit with barely functioning scenes.

That's because of poor maintenance, which is a completely separate issue from the underlying design of the ride.

It's natural to be worried it will be diminished because it's one of the best rides Disney has ever built. Regardless of how anyone feels about the quality of rides Disney has built in recent years, it's always going to be difficult to maintain the overall quality level of this particular attraction because they're replacing something that is one of the best in existence -- the IP is essentially irrelevant to that concern.

I have no problem with the retheme and completely understand why it's happening. I just don't want them to screw up the ride.

Last edited:

celluloid

Let's not forget they've also been quite active in removing any references to the characters outside of the ride itself, even going so far as to repaint artwork for sale to remove the Brer characters.

There is no way they would make that effort for such relatively small things while leaving the main, gigantic thing untouched. It's absolutely happening.

I don't think we can count that as it is so inconsistent. They painetd Brer Bear on the wall of Disney Springs, sell the merch with those characters in the parks and resort and Disneyland just two weeks ago brought back The Brer Characters for sale on Main Street. I am not saying that it is not happening, but I would not look to those as sole reasons as there are just as many counter examples.

UNCgolf

I don't think we can count that as it is so inconsistent. They painetd Brer Bear on the wall of Disney Springs, sell the merch with those characters in the parks and resort and Disneyland just two weeks ago brought back The Brer Characters for sale on Main Street. I am not saying that it is not happening, but I would not look to those as sole reasons as there are just as many counter examples.

Where did they paint Brer Bear at Disney Springs?

As for the merch, I'm guessing they're going to sell everything they have. I'm not sure there's any indication they're producing new merch that features those characters at this point.

celluloid

Where did they paint Brer Bear at Disney Springs?

As for the merch, I'm guessing they're going to sell everything they have. I'm not sure there's any indication they're producing new merch that features those characters at this point.

He is on the huge wall mural in the MarketPlace Co Op with the Walt Disney World 50th merch.

This is the same art that is on the brand new merch. I bought the shirt with him on it. The shirt, Magic Bands etc. was produced just recently at the end of September.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom