News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

I don’t know how well the retheme will go, but if they execute well, this will be one of the best rides in the world.

The problem is that it’s already one of the best rides in the world. Disney is devoting a significant amount of money to a change that, even in the best case, is unlikely to improve the overall park experience for the vast majority of guests. At the same time, they’ve canceled projects that actually could have meaningfully improved the parks. And if not those projects, there are countless other better ways they could have spent this money.
You are right. What Bob and Bob cared about though are:
Low cost vs a new ride
Lower operation cost with changes(and you are not operating two rides instead of just one)
Lower maintenance cost with less figures

Income of more plush and merch sales at least for awhile.

cranbiz

The common belief is that they're currently prefabricating all of the elements for both Splash Mountains offsite, so that the transition will be a lot quicker once they decide to close it.
Doesn't matter what's fabricated off site, it could be the entire set of changes. It will take Disney a minimum of 2 years to install them. The only thing that moves fast is the speed of price increases and how fast the deposits are made.

celluloid

You'd think so, but I don't have a ton of faith in Disney right now. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just designed the DL version then told WDW to make it fit into their ride without any additional design work or elements to account for the differences.

Just a lot of empty space and music as you flume on by the dead spots.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Just a lot of empty space and music as you flume on by the dead spots.
That's why I'm worried. Even when there's no scenes going on in current Splash, particularly outside, between the Rope Trap and Dip Drop, ect.. there's still so much to look at. Now it's likely they'll just kill the lights and call it it day

dman1373

Majority of people loved the Dragon Challenge attraction over in IOA but majority of people stopped whining about it when an entirely new attraction replaced it. I trust major theme parks to produce good attractions. I see lots of complaints but in the past few years what attraction built in WDW has had bad quality and everyone mutually agreed to dislike it ? No really, tell me.

I get not wanting a re-theme but hating an attraction that doesn't even exist and then calling other people silly for being excited over said non-existent attraction is the pure definition of hypocrisy. You have your opinion based on minimal information, I have my opinion based on minimal information. That's the way it is 👍🏾
You are comparing a ride that while maybe liked and appreciated, the dragon challenge is not comparable to splash mountain in popularity. Splash mountain is one of the most famous and loved rides in all of the world, and its change isnt based off of any reason other than political. Thats where the problem lies. Its not a situation where like the dragon challenge that they had a massive expansion of one of the most popular ips on the planet where they had an idea to co op the ride to retheme it to said ip. Its we have a vocal minority that are upset about this and that will try to destroy us so were just gonna give the baby there bottle and slap something together.

dman1373

I don’t know how well the retheme will go, but if they execute well, this will be one of the best rides in the world.

The problem is that it’s already one of the best rides in the world. Disney is devoting a significant amount of money to a change that, even in the best case, is unlikely to improve the overall park experience for the vast majority of guests. At the same time, they’ve canceled projects that actually could have meaningfully improved the parks. And if not those projects, there are countless other better ways they could have spent this money.
this is it right here......this is my sentiment 100%. Its like do this in tomorrowland where it needs it.

erasure fan1

Surely they realize this?
Of course they do. But the real question is, do they care? And that answer is a big fat not at all. If Disney slaps in some Peter Pan quality AAs, has a few screens to play clips from the movie, with a few of the songs in the background from the movie, it will still have lines. I highly doubt we see an effect on attendance if the redo is garbage, and Disney knows it. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't put money on it.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
3d Br'er Bear.png

So I was thinking, if Disney just used the Kinect game models, added some details/textures and animated them they could bang out new Br'er stuff with relative ease. Wishful thinking of course, since they obviously would never.

Dear Prudence

View attachment 597316
So I was thinking, if Disney just used the Kinect game models, added some details/textures and animated them they could bang out new Br'er stuff with relative ease. Wishful thinking of course, since they obviously would never.
I will never be not bitter and how badly they messed this up from the beginning, kept messing it up, doubled down on it, and then have rendered beyond use, even for Black and Native people ever again. This SUCKS, man.

Also, that Kinnect game's Splash Mountain section is so cute. 😭💖

Phil12

Of course they do. But the real question is, do they care? And that answer is a big fat not at all. If Disney slaps in some Peter Pan quality AAs, has a few screens to play clips from the movie, with a few of the songs in the background from the movie, it will still have lines. I highly doubt we see an effect on attendance if the redo is garbage, and Disney knows it. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't put money on it.
You're right. But that wouldn't be a bad thing for many guests. Frankly, on a log flume ride, the theming is not all that important. No one really cares about the predicable outcome on Splash Mountain. We know that the clever little bunny is going to outsmart the stupid bear and fox. And it's really not a good idea to use a trickster rabbit as a good example for children. The reason why folks ride the attraction is because of the 55 foot drop as the crescendo. They could theme the ride to Home on the Range with cardboard cutouts and still get huge crowds.

ImperfectPixie

You're right. But that wouldn't be a bad thing for many guests. Frankly, on a log flume ride, the theming is not all that important. No one really cares about the predicable outcome on Splash Mountain. We know that the clever little bunny is going to outsmart the stupid bear and fox. And it's really not a good idea to use a trickster rabbit as a good example for children. The reason why folks ride the attraction is because of the 55 foot drop as the crescendo. They could theme the ride to Home on the Range with cardboard cutouts and still get huge crowds.
In your opinion.

celluloid

It would not be a bad thing for SOME guests. But that is the point of a quality theme park. Aim for the highest you can get away with and have things that if they were not there, people would miss it, even if they do not notice.

I love Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls, it is more of a wet water ride with some punny cartoon fun. The mission of that log flume is different, but Splash Mountain is the best of the best for the reasons people do know and some that people are not aware of. Otherwise, why even have a mountain? Just a structure would have been fine.

Also. 52*

UNCgolf

I've seen multiple people say this and I don't think the data backs it up, although I could be mistaken.

The drop is definitely part of the appeal, but I don't think it would get the wait times it gets if it was just a log flume with bare minimum theming. Last time I was at the Magic Kingdom, Splash had the second longest wait in the park behind 7DMT, and this was in January when it wasn't even hot. The last time I was at Universal, neither of the log flume rides were among the busiest rides at Islands of Adventure. Jurassic Park did have a longer wait than Ripsaw Falls, though, and I'm guessing the more elaborate theming is a big part of that.

celluloid

I've seen multiple people say this and I don't think the data backs it up, although I could be mistaken.

The drop is definitely part of the appeal, but I don't think it would get the wait times it gets if it was just a log flume with bare minimum theming. Last time I was at the Magic Kingdom, Splash had the second longest wait in the park behind 7DMT, and this was in January when it wasn't even hot. The last time I was at Universal, neither of the log flume rides were among the busiest rides at Islands of Adventure. Jurassic Park did have a longer wait than Ripsaw Falls, though, and I'm guessing the more elaborate theming is a big part of that.

Exactly. If theming, design and content did not matter, then the figures and scenary would not have gone in, in the first place and would have been ripped put long ago to save cost.

celluloid

If theming, design and content didn't matter, they would just go to Six Flags and save some money.

Well put. And there is a great example because the first few Six Flags parks were theme parks, they chose not to maintain many of their standards and go with the poster Phil's satirical posting of the theme does not matter at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom