News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

UNCgolf

So a new map has been put up at Guest Relations and Cosmic Rewind has a coming soon label next to it, meanwhile there's nothing for Play. That's... a little concerning.

Not if they end up using that space for something that's not so terrible.

I'd rather have it sit empty for another 3 or 4 years before eventually getting something decent than getting the Play Pavilion, because once it's there it'll be there for a long time. 10-15 years at least and likely longer.

@marni1971 I know you said you've basically lost interest in Disney World (completely understandable), but do you know if this is still supposed to happen or if they've maybe cancelled it considering it's no longer mentioned anywhere? Or @Magic Feather?

EDIT: Considering the Play flag is now up at EPCOT, I think it's safe to say this isn't cancelled.

Last edited:

Magic Feather

Not if they end up using that space for something that's not so terrible.

I'd rather have it sit empty for another 3 or 4 years before eventually getting something decent than getting the Play Pavilion, because once it's there it'll be there for a long time. 10-15 years at least and likely longer.

@marni1971 I know you said you've basically lost interest in Disney World (completely understandable), but do you know if this is still supposed to happen or if they've maybe cancelled it considering it's no longer mentioned anywhere? Or @Magic Feather?

EDIT: Considering the Play flag is now up at EPCOT, I think it's safe to say this isn't cancelled.
Play is happening. Note that Moana isn’t on the map either. Should tell you something about the timeline for those additions.

James Alucobond

Before today, I really would have thought that at least Play would open before Cosmic Rewind, but the updated maps and apparent media "previews" for the ride today have me thinking otherwise!
Cosmic Rewind is much more critical to the flow and function of World Discovery, so it doesn’t surprise me. Wonders of Life was basically a non-entity for years prior to this construction, so just cordoning it off again is probably very easy for them.

ToTBellHop

Before today, I really would have thought that at least Play would open before Cosmic Rewind, but the updated maps and apparent media "previews" for the ride today have me thinking otherwise!
It will be ready in anywhere between 6 and 12 months. For Disney, that’s like “tomorrow.”

doctornick

Play is happening. Note that Moana isn’t on the map either. Should tell you something about the timeline for those additions.
Ultimately though it seems like the big thing about opening Play is they want to wait until after the pandemic (or at the very least until a vaccine for children is approved and widespread).

Considering that pavilion has been closed for eons, I don’t think they are in any rush to open it at a time when they could get criticism about it.

doctornick

Too bad. That means we're going to be stuck with that half baked idea for years.
It wasn’t like the main floor of WoL was anything all that special anyway. If they had Play as planned but actually added a ride in the Body Wars space and a show in the Cranium Command theater, this would probably be a pretty nice addition. As is, it’s just an IP version the stuff they had in Innoventions (Where’s the fire, Piggy Bank Adventure,the video game consoles, etc)

UNCgolf

It wasn’t like the main floor of WoL was anything all that special anyway. If they had Play as planned but actually added a ride in the Body Wars space and a show in the Cranium Command theater, this would probably be a pretty nice addition. As is, it’s just an IP version the stuff they had in Innoventions (Where’s the fire, Piggy Bank Adventure,the video game consoles, etc)

There was some interesting stuff there, but I agree it wasn't anything amazing.

Regardless, they could have left the other half of Communicore up, put all of this there, and then actually used this for a new, interesting pavilion instead of an arcade. Now it's going to be mostly wasted space for decades.

Phicinfan

So, as we now have a date of 2022 for Cosmic Rewind, and its on the map, and no map for Moana and Play - we are talking no earlier than 2023 for them?

muddyrivers

There was some interesting stuff there, but I agree it wasn't anything amazing.

Regardless, they could have left the other half of Communicore up, put all of this there, and then actually used this for a new, interesting pavilion instead of an arcade. Now it's going to be mostly wasted space for decades.

I'm still surprised in today's world it wasn't kept as a health pavilion. There's initiatives to get kids outside to play for at least an hour a day, everyone has some sort of health tracker technology they wear (pedometer, heart rate tracker, blood glucose monitor, etc.). It seems now there is even more of a focus on one's health than there was before. Maybe it's not as "flashy" as glowing screens in a glorified arcade, but getting your tennis swing evaluated by Naomi Osaka or the Williams sisters would be pretty cool.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'm still surprised in today's world it wasn't kept as a health pavilion. There's initiatives to get kids outside to play for at least an hour a day, everyone has some sort of health tracker technology they wear (pedometer, heart rate tracker, blood glucose monitor, etc.). It seems now there is even more of a focus on one's health than there was before. Maybe it's not as "flashy" as glowing screens in a glorified arcade, but getting your tennis swing evaluated by Naomi Osaka or the Williams sisters would be pretty cool.
The play pavilion. Celebrating the addictions that negatively impact our society.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom