News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
With all of the time that has passed since the project announcement, technology has evolved, and the pandemic has brought to life some hurdles that WDI wasn't planning for. Fabrication is one thing for sets, but digital assets can continue to be updated and changed. At this point I doubt PLAY! will be exactly as WDI had originally envisioned it.
Wasn’t that exactly what they envisioned though? A series of black box mini-attractions that could be updated in the blink of an eye?

lazyboy97o

With all of the time that has passed since the project announcement, technology has evolved, and the pandemic has brought to life some hurdles that WDI wasn't planning for. Fabrication is one thing for sets, but digital assets can continue to be updated and changed. At this point I doubt PLAY! will be exactly as WDI had originally envisioned it.
Even updating digital assets means incurring the cost to decide what the update and to update it as well. When they’re trying to contain costs as much as possible it seems hard to believe they would make this project more expensive.

HauntedMansionFLA

What ARE they going to do for Food and Wine when it opens this fall? They no longer have a place for the classes and programs for Food and Wine with PLAY! under construction....and they tore down the other location they used to use (Communicore West)... They need World Showplace tent pre-set for the Saturday night parties that run throughout the festival....
There will not be any food and wine pairing demonstrations, celebrity brunches and possibly no party for the senses. Another bare bones F&W this year, sadly.

DoleWhipDrea

I wouldn't expect PLAY! to open until all children were able to be vaccinated.

Exactly. It's something that we all just have to wait for. It would look really bad on Disney to open a children's play area right now. It also just makes sense to open it around the same time as GotG.

In the meantime, WDI can continue to tinker with the tech.

Bocabear

Play will not be open byr the 50th, GOTG will not be open by the 50th, Moana's Journey of fountain splash pad will not be open by the 50th...Mary Poppins was cancelled, The Spaceship Earth refurbishment was cancelled, The Giant Barstool party venue was cancelled...So now for the 50th the sum of the Anniversary offerings are a replacement Fireworks show, Ratatouille, and a completely destroyed central core of the park. Wow that is some amazing work by the world leader in theme entertainment....
oh and I am sure cupcakes and lots of merchandise....

CaptainAmerica

Play will not be open byr the 50th, GOTG will not be open by the 50th, Moana's Journey of fountain splash pad will not be open by the 50th...Mary Poppins was cancelled, The Spaceship Earth refurbishment was cancelled, The Giant Barstool party venue was cancelled...So now for the 50th the sum of the Anniversary offerings are a replacement Fireworks show, Ratatouille, and a completely destroyed central core of the park. Wow that is some amazing work by the world leader in theme entertainment....
There's a global pandemic on. You may have heard something about it. It's been in all the papers.

J4546

rename/rethem the play pavilion into the imagination pavilion, thats what it is already it seems. Put a new figment dark ride in it.
Then rename/retheme the imaginiation pavilion into the sky pavilion and make it all about flight and have a cool science museum vibe with a lot of interactive stuff. Then you have the organic land, sea, sky pavilion on one side, and the techy GotG, Imaginiation, Mission Space and Space 220, and TT on the other

Little Green Men

The 50th lasts til 2023. GOTG will be open during it, Journey of not a splash pad will be open. Innoventions East will open with Creations and club cool. SSE was delayed not cancelled. Oh and Space 220 opens before it.

Phicinfan

For the record SSE refurbishment is not cancelled, only delayed. You can't have Play until kids can safely participate. Yes by all reports Giant table and Mary Poppins has been cancelled. But rest have just been delayed. Personally they need to be ready for the 40th Epcot anniversary more than MK's 50th... IMO.

As for what they have added to WDW for the 50th, you list is a bit short. They are doing quite a bit of polishing and painting in MK, updating Jungle Cruise, redoing the bakery, updated the castle and redid the night time show. There's more than that, but no they won't have a Tron to really blow it out.

Bocabear

For the record SSE refurbishment is not cancelled, only delayed. You can't have Play until kids can safely participate. Yes by all reports Giant table and Mary Poppins has been cancelled. But rest have just been delayed. Personally they need to be ready for the 40th Epcot anniversary more than MK's 50th... IMO.

As for what they have added to WDW for the 50th, you list is a bit short. They are doing quite a bit of polishing and painting in MK, updating Jungle Cruise, redoing the bakery, updated the castle and redid the night time show. There's more than that, but no they won't have a Tron to really blow it out.
but wasn't a lot of this necessary maintenance and necessary expansion to meet the capacity of guests?
Yes, painting the castle pink and decorating it is purely for the 50th, but most of the other stuff is just necessary expansion tp deal with the increasing number of guests that visit the park... They need more Capacity in all the parks to match the crowds they are bringing in...

Phicinfan

but wasn't a lot of this necessary maintenance and necessary expansion to meet the capacity of guests?
Yes, painting the castle pink and decorating it is purely for the 50th, but most of the other stuff is just necessary expansion tp deal with the increasing number of guests that visit the park... They need more Capacity in all the parks to match the crowds they are bringing in...
No, I don't think so. They have to add, to increase draw, but I don't think anyone expects these adds to add capacity as they are all short rides for the most part. I agree, I am sure they wanted most of these for the 50th, unfortunately with Covid and work pauses that went out the window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom