Wild Tiki Room Rumor

WDWFigment

Wasn't started by a couple of disgruntled posters on this board who had no real connections (I may be thinking of a different site--sorry, if that's the case)? I wouldn't get too excited about this "rumor" if that's the case.

yankspy

I sure hope Disneyland gets something out of this whole WDW 40th anniversary shindig. If you got attractions and nearly overshadowed our birthday, we deserve something in return. And I don't mean shows, I want something where the Motor Boat Cruise and Big Thunder Ranch are now. I still can't forgive marketing for the promo that had Walt giving his opening day speech in front of Cinderella Castle. Honestly, the shouldn't have overtaken something that shouldn't have been theirs in the first place.

Ours is the original Tiki Room version, from 1958. Ours never had characters integrated into the show and received a top-to-bottom refurbishment as part of the 50th anniversary celebration.
I know the history of it, I was wondering if it draws more of a crowd than the new WDW version?

EPCOT Explorer

Wasn't started by a couple of disgruntled posters on this board who had no real connections (I may be thinking of a different site--sorry, if that's the case)? I wouldn't get too excited about this "rumor" if that's the case.

Yeah, but that was a while ago...and besides..This is exciting!:lol::lookaroun

Yeah, the posters got banned from this forum and started instead. I do think they have a little inside information, but I don't think there is any substance to the Tomorrowland-being-themed-to-Wall-E rumor.

nuttyskadork

From the sounds of it seems like they're getting rid of the Stitch idea. (I thought they already did the Stitch Tiki room in one of the foreign parks?). Either way, the Iago/Zazu one sucks imo. I loved the original. As for Stitch, he deserves a better attraction than SGE. It would certainly be unprecedented for a non fab-five character to have more than one attraction in the world; especially in the same park. (Come to think of it, aside from the mouse himself; none of the other fab fivers have more than one attraction really; and they're all in toontown).

WDWFigment

Yeah, the posters got banned from this forum and started instead. I do think they have a little inside information, but I don't think there is any substance to the Tomorrowland-being-themed-to-Wall-E rumor.

Yeah, but that was a while ago...and besides..This is exciting!:lol::lookaroun

I thought that was it! The only reason I was hesitant is because the site looks radically different from what it did when they opened it (sometime last summer). The original posters must've found someone who is good at web design (as well as someone who is good at writing...they were a mess).

That said, without having any knowledge of their inner-workings whatsoever, I'll hazard a guess that they have absolutely no connections. Perhaps they read things on other internet forums/websites, but I seriously doubt they have any connections. But then again, I'm absolutely shocked they still have a live website. So, I guess I could be wrong. :shrug:

jt04

If they do the retro classic Disney attractions I hope they add Diamond Horeshoe Revue back for a year. The canoes would also be a nice touch. Over at Epcot, perhaps they could add the original 3-D movie at JII and Symbiosis to The Land. Anyone else have some suggestions?

I thought that was it! The only reason I was hesitant is because the site looks radically different from what it did when they opened it (sometime last summer). The original posters must've found someone who is good at web design (as well as someone who is good at writing...they were a mess).

That said, without having any knowledge of their inner-workings whatsoever, I'll hazard a guess that they have absolutely no connections. Perhaps they read things on other internet forums/websites, but I seriously doubt they have any connections. But then again, I'm absolutely shocked they still have a live website. So, I guess I could be wrong. :shrug:
I have no real connections, and my site has been online for over four years, though my site isn't based around just providing the latest news either. Mine focuses more on information on the parks and television shows, though I do provide some of the biggest news and rumors circulating the web.

If they do the retro classic Disney attractions I hope they add Diamond Horeshoe Revue back for a year. The canoes would also be a nice touch. Over at Epcot, perhaps they could add the original 3-D movie at JII and Symbiosis to The Land. Anyone else have some suggestions?
What about the swan boat rides over at the Magic Kingdom?

jedimaster1227

What two would those be, Jedimaster?

The previous refurbishment of Imageworks (which was WDI's chance to survey the attraction space, and look at the remaining pieces of the original attraction that lay beneath the current queue and the What If? Labs' floors. Also, the closure of Figment's Place is a part of the equation.

Wasn't one of them the sprucing up of the Imageworks?

And one more question to Jedimaster... Are you saying there are big plans for Tokyo's Tomorrowland, or our Tomorrowland?
And do they involve Wall-E?

Yes, the sprucing of Imageworks was essentially a part of the plan. As for Tomorrowland, the plans are meant for ours (and likely Shanghai's as well). As for our BNL buddy... I won't say anything just yet.

Hey, Adam...Is there any validity to the OP statement about the 40th?

For current plans I can say yes. For Tropical Serenade, the show would essentially be reinstalled using the current setup of the room (though leaving the exit-Iago and main Iago and Zazu characters unused. Polynesia (I believe that is her name) would be removed and her character's space would be filled temporarily to fit in with the original show's essential atmosphere. Mind you, that is only if they decide that Tropical Serenade will return. Afterwards, Polynesia's spot would be filled by a sizable Stitch animatronic when the Enchanted Stitch Room show would be installed later on (pending the expected success of its Tokyo counterpart).

I've received confirmations on Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress, but nothing for Hall of Presidents (aside from assurance that George W. Bush will most likely be the last president to receive a personalized spiel to be included in an updated show).

Journey into Imagination (as far as I have been informed) is still set to procede by 2009 at the latest. Illuminations is also set to be updated in 2009. The Great Movie Ride and Star Tours will both receive fantastic updates (pending the approved timeframes) around that time as well.

A new, Stitch-less (!) Tomorrowland...can we get any more elaboration on that one?

As for the two steps to the JII refurb...could closing the Figgy meet and greet be one? And does this refurb include the return of Dreamfinder?

Stitch would be moving to Adventureland to invade the Tiki Room, if-and-only-if the Tokyo version of the show is successful in the eyes of WDI and Walt Disney World management.

There was a wall put up a few months ago...and the Imageworks were refurbed.Right?

As for DF returning...I think it's been hinted at by our illustrious members who have teh rumorz...!1!;)

The wall was for some work on the rotating topiary base. That work is currently on hold until the place-filler is successfully created. As of this post, I have yet to hear if there has been any luck sculpting the new filler of this feature.

I think I remember hearing something about the upstairs Imageworks getting some work, I don't recall any walls downstairs...but I could be wrong.

Good to know I wasn't the only one reading into those hints from those in the loop though!

Imageworks has been given some work (I've heard mixed accounts on how much is still intact up there since I last visited during the Team Possible Challenge). As of right now, I can confirm that Figment's Coloring Book structure is still intact and visible from the entrance to the pavilion itself. I've also been told that the Rainbow Corridor (while still frozen on the red-orange color) is still in decent condition since my last close encounter.

What about the swan boat rides over at the Magic Kingdom?

The infrastructure of the attraction itself was removed years ago (as it was technically a tracked ride). The only remaining piece of the Swan Boats attraction is the dock at the edge of the Castle plaza/Tomorrowland entrance.

Slowjack

The infrastructure of the [swan boats] itself was removed years ago (as it was technically a tracked ride). The only remaining piece of the Swan Boats attraction is the dock at the edge of the Castle plaza/Tomorrowland entrance.
Okay, since you bring that up...I'd read for years that the boats were free-floating, steered by two water jets, one fore and one aft, which led to some boats getting a little out of control. Then Kevin Yee (Miceage) ran article earlier this year in which he mentioned a rail for the boats, a la 20K or Jungle Cruise. So which is it?

jedimaster1227

Okay, since you bring that up...I'd read for years that the boats were free-floating, steered by two water jets, one fore and one aft, which led to some boats getting a little out of control. Then Kevin Yee (Miceage) ran article earlier this year in which he mentioned a rail for the boats, a la 20K or Jungle Cruise. So which is it?

Kevin is right in saying that there was a rail. Its referred to by many of us that are into the tech aspect of these rides as a "guide rail." This one was submerged beneath the murky green water (so it was almost never visible) with a small tow cable/hitch riding along the rail to prevent the boat from going off course or stopping along the side of the "river." There was a small motor/jet propelling the boat along, but it was used only for motion, while the guide hitch was used for direction. The station was able to accomodate for the loading and unloading of up to two boats at a time (if my memory serves me correctly at this late of an hour), with all other boats waiting until the next boat left the station and a spot was filled. These backups occurred frequently and wait times for the short but sweet attraction soared to higher times daily. Eventually, these backups would be the major downfall of the attraction, as it was deemed too short of an attraction to maintain such a queue; and too small of a capacity to support such a popular park's stresses (at least with the station in its then-current setup). The Swan Boats' ride system and guide track were removed after management determined that the attraction would never be reopened (in any form).

Ok. Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear MK is getting some reworking!

Always a pleasure! Magic Kingdom's main focus (aside from one or two additions in the future) will be about refreshing their attractions, bringing new life to the classics (like we have seen with Haunted Mansion and Pirates) while preserving all that makes the park so classic. Tomorrowland will receive alot of the focus in regards to touch-ups, but Adventureland has a nice set of projects in store, as does Fantasyland.

yankspy

Kevin is right in saying that there was a rail. Its referred to by many of us that are into the tech aspect of these rides as a "guide rail." This one was submerged beneath the murky green water (so it was almost never visible) with a small tow cable/hitch riding along the rail to prevent the boat from going off course or stopping along the side of the "river." There was a small motor/jet propelling the boat along, but it was used only for motion, while the guide hitch was used for direction. The station was able to accomodate for the loading and unloading of up to two boats at a time (if my memory serves me correctly at this late of an hour), with all other boats waiting until the next boat left the station and a spot was filled. These backups occurred frequently and wait times for the short but sweet attraction soared to higher times daily. Eventually, these backups would be the major downfall of the attraction, as it was deemed too short of an attraction to maintain such a queue; and too small of a capacity to support such a popular park's stresses (at least with the station in its then-current setup). The Swan Boats' ride system and guide track were removed after management determined that the attraction would never be reopened (in any form).

Always a pleasure! Magic Kingdom's main focus (aside from one or two additions in the future) will be about refreshing their attractions, bringing new life to the classics (like we have seen with Haunted Mansion and Pirates) while preserving all that makes the park so classic. Tomorrowland will receive alot of the focus in regards to touch-ups, but Adventureland has a nice set of projects in store, as does Fantasyland.
Any word on anything retro for main street? Oh, thanks for all the info as well.

aladdin2007

If stitch does move to the tiki room, what happens to stitchs great escape in tomorrowland? We certainly dont need two stitch things going on lol. I just cant see them closing the one in Tomorrowland for many years to come, but it does seem like that animatronic they could implement in the tiki room easily and save some money at the same time. I still prefer tropical serenade though with no annoying stitch but hes way better than the demon that pops up in there now!

jt04

I have never been a Stitch fan but I really like the Tiki idea. It could still have elements of the original Tiki Room show but of course Stitch could then add quite a bit of chaos and comedy after that. I've only seen the current show once and while it does have some decent humor, the whole storyline just does not fit the attraction well imo. Whereas Stitch actually fits in with the theme. It really will depend on the script and the way the show is executed. I absolutely think it could work.

As for two Stitch shows at the MK, I think Jedi was pretty clear that if Stitch goes to Adventureland he will be vacating Tomorrowland. That alone makes it worthwhile if you ask me. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom