Wild Tiki Room Rumor

WDWGoof07

Original Poster
After months of hearing rumors that the Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management will be closing sometime in the near future to make way for a Stitch-involved makeover, a new wild rumor has hit the streets of the Magic Kingdom and has cast members in De-Nile (Attempt at a Jungle Cruise joke). Strong rumors now indicate that the original budget for the postponed major Jungle Cruise attraction refurbishment maybe heading across the way to fund the restoration of the talking audio-animatronics bird show to its original splendor. In short, the original Tropical Serenade show may return to the Magic Kingdom as part of a huge marketing campaign for the 40th anniversary of the Walt Disney World Resort in 2011.
The planned campaign is going to promote the idea of guests experiencing renewed classic attractions and entertainment inspired by the resort’s past. Among the planned updates for the celebration are updates to Space Mountain, Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress, The Hall of Presidents, and the Enchanted Tiki Room at the Magic Kingdom; Journey Into Imagination and Illuminations at Epcot; and The Great Movie Ride and Star Tours at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Also rumored at this time are a new firework show and updated Spectromagic parade at the Magic Kingdom.
While most of these changes are likely to not take place (as is the nature with rumors), a few of them will make the line-up in time for October 1, 2011. Be sure to stay tuned to as more info on these rumored changes becomes available.

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt. But, you know, it would be strange to add Stitch to the Tiki Room when they already have a Stitch attraction in Tomorrowland...so bringing back Tropical Serenade does make some sense...or would they add Stitch anyway since he's a popular character now?...then what would that spell for SGE?...or will Disney even bother putting any money into the Tiki Room? They do talk about a "celebration of the classics" for WDW's 40th...

And what about the rest of this? We've heard about Star Tours and Space Mountain refurbs, but now Carousel of Progress, Hall Of Presidents, Journey into Imagination, Illuminations, and Great Movie Ride?

Will our heroes Jose, Michael, Pierre, and Fritz give Zazu and Iago the boot? Or will Stitch throw out the terrible toony twosome and make his own show? What will happen to that most polarizing of attractions, Stitch's Great Escape? Will Disney do anything at all, or are we just making a big deal out of nothing? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Stay tuned for more on WDWMagic Rumor Theater...

Spike-in-Berlin

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt. But, you know, it would be strange to add Stitch to the Tiki Room when they already have a Stitch attraction in Tomorrowland...so bringing back Tropical Serenade does make some sense...or would they add Stitch anyway since he's a popular character now?...then what would that spell for SGE?...or will Disney even bother putting any money into the Tiki Room? They do talk about a "celebration of the classics" for WDW's 40th...
Will our heroes Jose, Michael, Pierre, and Fritz give Zazu and Iago the boot? Or will Stitch throw out the terrible toony twosome and make his own show? What will happen to that most polarizing of attractions, Stitch's Great Escape? Will Disney do anything at all, or are we just making a big deal out of nothing? :confused: :confused: :confused:

As I am a BIG, really BIG fan of the original Tiki-Room and hate the new management with every fabric of my existence (actually I have sadistic fantasies about the future fate of Iago:fork:) I hope at least the rumors about the Tiki-Room coming back (whats there at the moment IS no Tiki-Room) are true. And the JC begs for a major refurbishment. I would appreciate it to become more serious in its tone as I am growing tired of the corny jokes of the increasingly aggressive sounding skippers. Make it a real adventure with more dangers and thrills.

darthjohnny

It's interesting about the entire 40th Anniversary rumor. Kind of like they're taking a page from Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebration where they revived the classics and such.

Expo_Seeker40

Obviously, take this with a grain of salt. But, you know, it would be strange to add Stitch to the Tiki Room when they already have a Stitch attraction in Tomorrowland....

Of course not! With the company's currenty mentality: "if they like it, give them more because thats the safe and easy profitable way", I'm suprised there isn't an entire section of the Magic Kingdom dedicated to Lilo and Stitch

"so bringing back Tropical Serenade does make some sense."

Yes because many people will think it is a new show and will want to see it anyway, let alone the disney fans, many of which who no longer see the current version, would easily go back and see the old/new version

"or would they add Stitch anyway since he's a popular character now?...then what would that spell for SGE? "

They probably wouldn't add stitch into a old/new version of the show, but come on now, they removed the fastpasses from SGE because well.....it wasn't the most amazing new, unique, and fresh thing was it?

"And what about the rest of this? We've heard about Star Tours and Space Mountain refurbs, but now Carousel of Progress, Hall Of Presidents, Journey into Imagination, Illuminations, and Great Movie Ride?"

Space Mountain if it closes this January would easily be ready in 2011, and its not that hard to spruce up the CoP, and since the Hall of Presidents uses much of its original footage on the movie screens, all you would need is a digitalized copy of the original master audio, and someone to do a new hail to the chiefs when they announce all the current presidents, including whoever wins in 2008

Imagination and Movie Ride are up in the air for me, if anything is done, I bet most of it will be concentrated at the MK, but Disney loves suckering guests into visiting every nook and cranny of the resort when it comes to celebrations these days

hpyhnt 1000

Hm. Well, well! That certainly is quite a bit to ponder. I don't think Stitch will be making his way in. All the other things listed could very well happen, but its unlikely they will occur. Still, looks as though something big is being planned for WDW upcoming 40th birthday. :)

danv3

The only thing that could make the current iteration of the Tiki Room worse would be the introduction of Stitch. :hurl:

WDW Monorail

The Tiki Room at TDL has a Stitch over-lay. I don't see why it can't be implemented at MK.

JII can go down for refurb as early as October 1, 2008.

Jungle Cruise should get its refurb by 2011.

RoE should be out by 2011.

And Wishes will be out by then as well replaced with an 'E-Ticket in the sky" show.

dxwwf3

It would certainly be amazing if that rumor did come true. I still don't see it happening though. It would be nice, but things that sound that good never seem to come true.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I really hope some of this comes to pass. My dream for changes to the parks is exactly what is described in that rumor. Return old attractions to their former glory, with some updates for new technology and capability. I would love a return of the original Tiki's (although I like the new as well), a new show for the Bears (or just alternative between the Jamboree and Vacation Hoedown versions), rehabs of Space, Thunder, and or JC, a return of Dreamfinder, and an upgrade/change-out of a few scenes in the GMR. I'd also go for some showings of Magic Journeys, Captain EO, and the Making Memories pre-show, amongst other things.

Again, I hope this is true.

JWG

It's interesting about the entire 40th Anniversary rumor. Kind of like they're taking a page from Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebration where they revived the classics and such.

Which was a big success, at least in Disneyland, I won't speak to California Adventure...

JWG

This would potentially align with some updating to our bear friends in Frontierland that has been rumored.

olmec26

If the original Tiki Room comes back, I will be the happiest person alive.

I'm really not opposed to anything on that list, actually...although it's all stuff that I've heard before for the 40th (except the Tiki Room bit). As long as some core GMR scenes stay (gangster, Wizard of Oz, and Indy - just PLEASE get a new Harrison Ford AA!) and the new Star Tours doesn't focus too much on the prequels, I'll be very happy.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Well, public outcry scaled back the "Imagination" refurb. Maybe Disney realized that they went to far and will bring it back a few notches.

[And what about the rest of this? We've heard about Star Tours and Space Mountain refurbs, but now Carousel of Progress, Hall Of Presidents, Journey into Imagination, Illuminations, and Great Movie Ride?[/quote]

well, hall of presidents is getting a refurb no matter what, because you know why? There will be a new president come January of 2009 and that means the Hall of Presidents will be out of date sadly.

Raychul

I would hate to see the Tiki Room get even more destroyed by adding Stitch, I am not a fan of the movie and still hold a grudge from his overtaking Alien Encounter.

Why not focus on rides that desperately need the refurb first, such as Star Tours...that ride has needed a makeover for years now. The rumor of this getting refurbished has been spinning for a long time as well with no official word behind it.

And didn't Space Mountain just get a face lift less than 2 or 3 years ago? Why another?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom