Zootopia Coming To Shanghai

Supersnow84

I know that western audiences aren’t the target demographic for Shanghai but does anyone else feel like this expansion isn’t really what the park needs and is kinda just gonna end up being there

Or am I just showing my anti Shanghai bias

Supersnow84

Zootopia did extremely well at the box office in China.
Not so much was zootopia the right theme of the expansion more so was it the right plot and the right ride composition for Shanghai

Unlike the other 5 parks who are roughly circular (though HK is wider on one side and DL has the he GE protrusion) Shanghai is shaped like a butterfly, this is exasperated by Shanghai’s weird fantasyland shape and leaves a lot of spare lands directly north of the castle, while lands like TSL feel kinda shoved in a space they don’t really belong

But zootopia doesn’t really fix this strange shape that stresses out the parks design (the areas north and south of the castle where the “wings” join are often overcrowded messes) because it’s positioned almost behind fantasyland and isn’t terribly large, plus it’s main attraction is set to be a not very high capacity e ticket, another thing Shanghai has in spades

Wouldn’t a full sized land that opens up more space between fantasyland and pirates cove be better rather than a land behind the choke point which will make it worse because it doesn’t have an exit on the pirates side because it’s behind the show building, and it will also hem in that open area that doesn’t regularly get used and kinda make it wasted space

It’s a similar problem that HK has, arendelle (or at least the current collective expansion) should have filled the plot between TSL and arendelle because right now it’s just creating choke points and unbalanced land design

Timothy_Q

Wouldn’t a full sized land that opens up more space between fantasyland and pirates cove be better rather than a land behind the choke point which will make it worse because it doesn’t have an exit on the pirates side because it’s behind the show building, and it will also hem in that open area that doesn’t regularly get used and kinda make it wasted space
The area between Zootopia and Pirates will eventually get another mini land, that could get a path to Pirates if they so choose
In the meantime, Zootopia will also connect to the parade route so it won't be a dead end like Toontown

And in terms of park symmetry, now each side of the park has mini land

Last edited:

Supersnow84

The area between Zootopia and Pirates will eventually get another mini land, that could get a path to Pirates if they so choose
In the meantime, Zootopia will also connect to the parade route so it won't be a dead end like Toontown

And in terms of park symmetry, now each side of the park has mini land
That will fix the symmetry in the longer term but in the short term you create a massive crush at the crux of the path to zootopia, fantasyland and pirates cove at the back of the castle

Wouldn’t it be easier to build the southern land first

Advisable Joseph

The train station is just a facade to the left of the ride
The ride entrance is at the police station
IMG-3430.png

From the Shanghai Disneyland Expansion thread on the themeparx website.

The train façade has nothing behind it!

But, as for entrances, could there be other doors than the police station, especially for the building with the dome?

EDIT: Had to fix the image.

Last edited:

Supersnow84

Besides Disneyland forward where would they fit it

DCA is probably the only second gate that has functionally no expansion pads left

Advisable Joseph

Besides Disneyland forward where would they fit it

DCA is probably the only second gate that has functionally no expansion pads left
Disney hasn't committed to anything, but they suggested it could come to the Disneyland Forward addition to California Adventure.

Supersnow84

Disney hasn't committed to anything, but they suggested it could come to the Disneyland Forward addition to California Adventure.

I truly do dislike Disneyland forward, plans for 6 seperate areas and literally none of them are unique

Frozen - HK, Paris and Tokyo
Tangled - Tokyo
Peter Pan - Tokyo
Zootopia - Shanghai
Toy Story land - Hong Kong, Paris, Hollywood studios and Shanghai
Tron - Shanghai already copied to MK

I know a good chunk of it is just basically business talk to change zoning laws but damn can Disney please have an original idea once in a while, the current international expansions are already too clone heavy leaving the smaller parks like HK still struggling with originality

Last edited:

Advisable Joseph

Does this project seem rather tall?

Here is a comparison between the Great Movie Ride (Now Runaway Railway) and the Zootopia concept art:
1684717531026.png

I pasted two people from the photo over to the concept art for scale.
Also, I believe the show building for the Great Movie Ride was about the height of this facade.

Thing is, isn't the main show building for Zootopia much taller than the police station shown here?

Any ideas what else could be in there?

Timothy_Q

Does this project seem rather tall?

Here is a comparison between the Great Movie Ride (Now Runaway Railway) and the Zootopia concept art:
View attachment 717851
I pasted two people from the photo over to the concept art for scale.
Also, I believe the show building for the Great Movie Ride was about the height of this facade.

Thing is, isn't the main show building for Zootopia much taller than the police station shown here?

Any ideas what else could be in there?
You're comparing a photo to concept art

But either way, show buildings nowadays are usually bigger than those from 30 years ago

Zootopia looks to be similar in size to BatB and RotR

Supersnow84

You also have to remember that Shanghai has a propensity for being larger than average by design so that may also factor into their decision

Supersnow84

Are they building a second park?
It’s in the plan and right now Shanghai is the only park with both the space and attendance to build another gate

Hong Kong is short on attendance, Paris needs to fix WDS, Tokyo and DLR can’t fit it and WDW likely won’t get a 5th gate because most studies show that it will just cut into the attendance of the existing 4 gates

I’m assuming Shanghai has at least one more large expansion pad besides zootopia but the park is already so stressed because of its low capacity e ticket heavy lineup so they may just skip on expanding and build the second gate then fill out the main park later

Timothy_Q

I agree that Shanghai's 2nd gate is likely the next park Disney will build, but I don't see it happening this decade

SDL still has a ton of expansion space, and only 2 hotels
There's still a lot of other ways to build out the resort that make more financial sense right now than a new park

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom