News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

celluloid

Why would they? People keep complaining about the intentionally tacky parts of Dinoland USA aka Dinorama. But then why not fix that to further the point properly of the theme or something conversvation and Dino related?

Getting rid of the part that works for yet another retheme that hurts capacity for two to three years and ruins the park's core theme is another dumb move.

Dinosaur and the idea of Dinosaurs are well liked. It just needs to be maintained.

It would behoove Disney and be a win for anyone if they fixed what is not well liked while keeping what was, instead of yet another retheme, and adding no capacity.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
It would behoove Disney and be a win for anyone if they fixed what is not well liked while keeping what was, instead of yet another retheme, and adding no capacity.
It would. But they don't think that way.

It's IP or bust. And what's weird... they had IP staring them in the face, properties that with a little finessing could have supported the dino theme. S.E.A. story integration, Ducktales, Gravity Falls, Mickey Mouse shorts and Disney Jr. properties all featured dinosaurs, same for Pixar's UP among other properties. There's was/is enough for WDI to keep the land's focus on dinosaurs.

If not IP, they also had the Excavator coaster idea to fall back on. To squander the dino theme just because Dinorama was a dud is kind of stupid. It's also admitting defeat. I get that the quintessential dino property is the Universal-owned behemoth but it's not like Disney can't have dinosaurs too.

Honestly they'd be better off retooling Dinosaur, dropping in the Excavator coaster and doing a DisneyNature/NatGEO Dinosaur show in the current Nemo space.

But then where would they put the Moana?!

Last edited:

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Can't see them backing down on Zootopia. They'll no doubt use the D+ series to bookend the attraction overhaul. I just hope it's less "cop car chase" and more of an exploration of animal biomes, maybe asking our help in recovering a missing macguffin or lost animal. How that relates to DAK is beyond me, but I'd rather not see skyscrapers and city life. For that there's always the Secret Life of Pets ride at Universal.

celluloid

Can't see them backing down on Zootopia. They'll no doubt use the D+ series to bookend the attraction overhaul. I just hope it's less "cop car chase" and more of an exploration of animal biomes, maybe asking our help in recovering a missing macguffin or lost animal. How that relates to DAK is beyond me, but I'd rather not see skyscrapers and city life. For that there's always the Secret Life of Pets ride at Universal.

Zootopia is very Anthropamorphic. Unless Judy is somehow helping with Fish and Game I don't see that being a thing.

They will likely shoehorn us with her busting pollution. If they even bother.

drnilescrane

I get that the quintessential dino property is the Universal-owned behemoth but it's not like Disney can't have dinosaurs too.
Right, but I think we're also forgetting that Countdown to Extension was another 90s Disney attempt at beating Universal to the punch.

It's 1998, IoA is going to open the next year with a clone of USH's Jurassic Park. They created a ride that as closely mimicked the JP aesthetic without infringing on copyright.

UNCgolf

I mean, you can dislike it (and I'm not a fan of it either), but it's actually a very well-themed area. It absolutely nails the look and feel of the kind of roadside tourist traps that used to dot highways around the country.

The problem is that the theme just doesn't fit well into Animal Kingdom (or WDW at all, really). I'd happily see it replaced. It's at least a well-executed concept, though, as opposed to some of the other things Disney has built recently.

Last edited:

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
It would. But they don't think that way.

It's IP or bust. And what's weird... they had IP staring them in the face, properties that with a little finessing could have supported the dino theme. S.E.A. story integration, Ducktales, Gravity Falls, Mickey Mouse shorts and Disney Jr. properties all featured dinosaurs, same for Pixar's UP among other properties. There's was/is enough for WDI to keep the land's focus on dinosaurs.

If not IP, they also had the Excavator coaster idea to fall back on. To squander the dino theme just because Dinorama was a dud is kind of stupid. It's also admitting defeat. I get that the quintessential dino property is the Universal-owned behemoth but it's not like Disney can't have dinosaurs too.

Honestly they'd be better off retooling Dinosaur, dropping in the Excavator coaster and doing a DisneyNature/NatGEO Dinosaur show in the current Nemo space.

But then where would they put the Moana?!
My most controversial take of all time is that Gravity Falls would be an amazing IP for Animal Kingdom. A cryptozoology centered land with dinosaur elements introduced the same way they are in the tv show, while still having a more backwater American Northwest town represented geographically in the park. I've drawn sketches and armchair imagineered so many ideas for this hypothetical land, but alas, Disney TVA projects never have the same swing as a movie properties so it would never get off the ground. One can dream though.

ToTBellHop

Right, but I think we're also forgetting that Countdown to Extension was another 90s Disney attempt at beating Universal to the punch.

It's 1998, IoA is going to open the next year with a clone of USH's Jurassic Park. They created a ride that as closely mimicked the JP aesthetic without infringing on copyright.
I still wish we had just gotten Indy at DHS...

celluloid

Imagine a fleshed out indy land with temple of eye, mine cart coaster, water ride, amd a massive rope course like camp discovery but instead of mountain it's a massive archeological site

Nice rides, but Indy's stories are more social than environmental. You are either forgetting major parts of the property or are ok with something just as much out of the theme of the park. In one of the most famous scenes to get out of a problem, Indiana pumps gasoline all over snakes and lights them on fire. It works in the story, but not a fit for Animal Kingdom.

His dig sites were for Anthropology and religious items.

Dinosaur works better still.

Indy for DHS or Adventureland where his 1930s-40s era belongs.
I would love to see them tie it into a facade of old Hollywood with a secret at DHS. That enhances the Indy brand and Hollywood Studios park theme that takes you on an unexpected temple or other adventure.

Last edited:

celluloid

Anyone know if there are still some Indy ideas floating around that have any chance of seeing the light of day within the next 5-10y?

I think the boat on anything major has sailed. The movie is to make what is already in operation more relevant, it would have to be a massive reneweal of interest to build anything new and not "Indy" as we know it.

ToTBellHop

Imagine a fleshed out indy land with temple of eye, mine cart coaster, water ride, amd a massive rope course like camp discovery but instead of mountain it's a massive archeological site

Nice rides, but Indy's stories are more social than environmental. You are either forgetting major parts of the property or are ok with something just as much out of the theme of the park. In one of the most famous scenes to get out of a problem, Indiana pumps gasoline all over snakes and lights them on fire. It works in the story, but not a fit for Animal Kingdom.

His dig sites were for Anthropology and religious items.

Dinosaur works better still.

Indy for DHS or Adventureland where his 1930s-40s era belongs.
I would love to see them tie it into a facade of old Hollywood with a secret at DHS. That enhances the Indy brand and Hollywood Studios park theme that takes you on an unexpected temple or other adventure.
I’m referring to the fact that, in the ‘90s, there were competing proposals for this ride system to be brought to MGM as Indy or DAK as CTX. The CTX proposal won. I wish we had gotten Indy and something else at DAK. Instead we got Dino and RnRC. I’m not certain RnRC was added because Indy wasn’t, but I would imagine so.

celluloid

I’m referring to the fact that, in the ‘90s, there were competing proposals for this ride system to be brought to MGM as Indy or DAK as CTX. The CTX proposal won. I wish we had gotten Indy and something else at DAK. Instead we got Dino and RnRC. I’m not certain RnRC was added because Indy wasn’t, but I would imagine so.
I figured what you meant. I quoted the user in my post because of the fact that it came across with the context of this thread that it would be a Dinoland pitch.
RnR was added because MGM needed more thrills as ToT was a huge hit and IOA had the Hulk and dragons on the way.
Aerosmith was under Disney's Hollywood Records and Armageddon's ballad was smashing.

One thing is for sure, I would never in a hundred years thought this ride system would be great for Zootopia, let alone getting a major E Ticket of that to retheme, over anything for the dynamic.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Wasn't the EMV ride system at MGM supposed to be Dick Tracy's Crime Stoppers on the RnRC plot? Or did an Indy proposal replace Dick Tracy?

UNCgolf

Wasn't the EMV ride system at MGM supposed to be Dick Tracy's Crime Stoppers on the RnRC plot? Or did an Indy proposal replace Dick Tracy?

The Dick Tracy thing at MGM would have been late 80s/early 90s since that film came out in 1990. I'm guessing that idea was already killed by the time they were building Indy at DL, much less Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom.

rle4lunch

Indy needs to be in DHS. While it would be way too costly to dig up all the gas lines for the stunt show, they could yank ST and crap Muppet vision area out and add a great mini indy land.

There was a time when I thought that Dinosaur could do the DL INDY overlay, but that ride system and animatronics (in both parks) are aging badly. I'd liketo see major plus ups on Indy at DL and then build something unique in DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom