News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

I'd be shocked if the Moana concept isn't based on the patent we saw a year ago:
View attachment 698226
Interestingly, Mack Rides had a working concept of something similar in testing and pitched a
trailer mock up version at IAAPA. (since been scrubbed from the website for reasons unknown)

I could see a Moana Attraction being something like this:

I wonder if they’ll use that boat tech for Tangled @ Tokyo DisneySea but I believe the concept art for Moana was more like a flume ride

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
The flume art is weird. The boats in Moana are essentially a raft with a sail. Neither ride type, boat or flume really fits that aesthetic. I wonder if the concept art was more a case of artistic interpretation than actual ride concept. Interesting to see what comes of it regardless. It is clearly a flume in the concept art though.

yensidtlaw1969

The flume art is weird. The boats in Moana are essentially a raft with a sail. Neither ride type, boat or flume really fits that aesthetic. I wonder if the concept art was more a case of artistic interpretation than actual ride concept. Interesting to see what comes of it regardless. It is clearly a flume in the concept art though.
In fairness, the Bateaux in Pirates of the Caribbean don't really suit that story either. Sometimes it does just come down to function.

It would be interesting to see what could be done with a boat ride with a full sail down the middle, but it might just end up blocking out half the show no matter which side you're seated on.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
So this article came out on The Wrap talking about Moana climbing to the Top 10 chart for streaming, and I wanna know what the full article says, since it’s paywalled. Just wanna know if they mention the Animal Kingdom concept.

DCBaker

Premium Member
So this article came out on The Wrap talking about Moana climbing to the Top 10 chart for streaming, and I wanna know what the full article says, since it’s paywalled. Just wanna know if they mention the Animal Kingdom concept.

There is no mention of it in that article.

Animaniac93-98

I don't have much interest in visiting Universal compared to Disney, but I would DEFINITELY book a trip to Universal if they made a Middle Earth land!

There's a 21 acre expansion pad (50% bigger than Galaxy's Edge) in Epic Universe that would be ideal for Middle Earth.

I want it to happen, but have no idea if they could use the IP.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
It’s not really relevant. It would be one thing if Disney had officially announced it, but unless you’re a Disney fan news site, there’s no reason to highlight a hypothetical expansion in your article about movies streaming
To me, it feels like discussing about the expansion on this website doesn’t make it "hypothetical". Couple that with Zootopia 2 becoming a reality.

MagicHappens1971

To me, it feels like discussing about the expansion on this website doesn’t make it "hypothetical". Couple that with Zootopia 2 becoming a reality.
I’m not disputing that the Moana/Zootopia expansions are more than hypothetical, to those who read and follow these forums. To the general public, they may have heard some rumblings of a Moana expansion after D23, but that’s it. No reason to discuss anything like that in a mainstream article

Tha Realest

I literally could not disagree more. Zootopia is such a horrible match for a ride vehicle that is far too intense to represent a franchise with the target audience being children. And if they're just going to tone down the motion than what's the point. This isn't even considering how an urban setting will never fit in Animal Kingdom.
Wait until you hear about the plans to subject a bunch of four-year-old girls to a 50-foot plunge if they want to experience one of the few Disney Princess attractions

MagicHappens1971

Wait until you hear about the plans to subject a bunch of four-year-old girls to a 50-foot plunge if they want to experience one of the few Disney Princess attractions
Frozen Ever After, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Enchanted Tales with Belle, the castle show that features Tiana, Rapunzel, Elsa & Anna, Fantasmic that features most if not all of the princesses in some way. Enchantment, Happily Ever After, Harmonious, Festival of Fantasy, etc. There’s no shortage of Disney Princess exposure in the parks, and I’m sure the 4 year olds and up will be just fine riding Splash Mountain, as they have for decades

MadderAdder

Frozen Ever After, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Enchanted Tales with Belle, the castle show that features Tiana, Rapunzel, Elsa & Anna, Fantasmic that features most if not all of the princesses in some way. Enchantment, Happily Ever After, Harmonious, Festival of Fantasy, etc. There’s no shortage of Disney Princess exposure in the parks, and I’m sure the 4 year olds and up will be just fine riding Splash Mountain, as they have for decades
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, too!

999th Happy Haunt

The plot of the ride in Shanghai is that Bellwether escapes and it's a Runaway Railway style chase through Zootopia to catch her and bring her in again. I assume the plan is to try and copy what they have and adapt for the Dinosaur motion vehicles - it's not inconceivable, which is probably why the idea presented itself in the first place.

I do wonder what the sequel will be like. I suspect they might try and find a story to tell that doesn't heavily involve Judy's employer.
C8AB018D-C341-4B9E-96EF-FB30B50616D9.gif

A cop car chase sounds like a great fit for a park dedicated to man’s relationship with nature.

drnilescrane

Idk where that's coming from, I have not seen them post anything about the ride plot yet.

They officially announced at D23 expo that:

Guests will be recruited to help Nick Wilde and Judy Hopps as they race around Zootopia. The attraction ride vehicle will be trackless and move through both physical and digital sets. Imagineers described the ride as having similar traits to that of Rise of the Resistance and the new Beauty and the Beast attraction in Tokyo Disneyland, but with domed screen displays like Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure. While the concept art depicts a wild chase, we’re told that the ride isn’t “intense” and will be enjoyable for guests of all ages.
(per https://blogmickey.com/2022/09/imag...pia-attraction-coming-to-shanghai-disneyland/)

We also know that the attraction title is "Zootopia: Hot Pursuit" per the WDAS creative legacy team.

Who they are in pursuit of hasn't been formally announced but you hear things talking to people. Similar traits to "Rise of the Resistance" is quite literal in that both plots involve prisoners.

UNCgolf

I don't think they can come close to recreating that at Animal Kingdom. Not sure how they could add domed screen displays to the Dinosaur ride system.

I guess they could gut the building like GMR and then use trackless to actually clone the Shanghai attraction, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom