News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

Who is spreading these rumors?
Good sources. I don’t know why you’re being so adamant that this won’t happen and the persistence on “Blue Sky”. We’re all aware it was Blue Sky, however, immediately after the announcement it was heavily rumored that the Moana expansion is being seriously considered. It was also believed that this “Blue Sky” was kind of a “throw it at the wall and see what sticks”. They were looking to stir up some buzz, see what the fans were interested in, without committing to anything. Something will be coming to Dinoland within the next 5 years. Will it be Moana? Zootopia? Both? Neither? Who knows?

MagicHappens1971

Because they were made under Bob Chapek's rule at Disney. Things have changed now, with Bob Iger back.
Bob Iger is not a King, neither was Chapek. Parks, Experiences & Products presented this Blue Sky under their chairman, Josh D’Amaro. He is still the chairman. The CEO of the company does not approve/deny every single theme park expansion. Not to say they aren’t involved, but it is not as black and white as you’re trying to imply.

KingMickey13

Because they were made under Bob Chapek's rule at Disney. Things have changed now, with Bob Iger back.
Bob Iger is not a King, neither was Chapek. Parks, Experiences & Products presented this Blue Sky under their chairman, Josh D’Amaro. He is still the chairman. The CEO of the company does not approve/deny every single theme park expansion. Not to say they aren’t involved, but it is not as black and white as you’re trying to imply.
@MagicHappens1971 is correct. Josh and his closest are still here, and Iger has no reason to get rid of these plans.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Iger has no reason to get rid of these plans.
We don't know what Iger is thinking. I think it would be ridiculous to have a human girl and anthro furries (with human modern-day technology/lifestyle) in a nonmorphic animal-themed park. The park should be more about said nonmorphic animals and preserving them.

KingMickey13

We don't know what Iger is thinking. I think it would be ridiculous to have a human girl and anthro furries (with human modern-day technology/lifestyle) in a nonmorphic animal-themed park. The park should be more about said nonmorphic animals and preserving them.
Recent Disney seems to care very little if things “fit” where it’s put. Look at Hollywood Studios and EPCOT. Both are hodgepodges of old and new thrown together with barely any coherency or general park theme. Does the alien world of Pandora really make sense in a park about animals around the world? Not really, but Disney made it fit well. The real question is, will Disney manage to make this fit, or not?

ToTBellHop

Correct. The confounder here is that Iger is deeply proud of acquiring Avatar (via the larger purchase) and building Pandora. He cares about his legacy and Avatar 2 was a rare win among recent films. He could certainly divert funds from Dinoland to a new Pandora ride. But this is entirely speculative at this point. DAK is next for a capital project so I expect we will know what they are building by Destination D23 this fall.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
At this point, I think it’s really between a Pandora expansion or the Moana/perhaps Zootopia Dinoland Refurb. Or maybe both?
I think they should scrap the DinoLand change and expand Pandora instead if Way of Water made over $2 billion. I’d love to see the village of Awa'atlu and the eastern sea of Pandora come to life.

Last edited:

KingMickey13

I think they should scrap the DinoLand change and expand Pandora instead if Way of Water made over $2 billion.
Dinoland will need something to replace Primeval Whirl regardless. But it could be something cheap if funds go to Pandora.
If Pandora gets it, Dinoland needs something. It’s practically rotting away.

doctornick

I think they should scrap the DinoLand change and expand Pandora instead if Way of Water made over $2 billion.
Why not both?

But more to the point, they closed Primeval Whirl and something should be built there. We can make arguments pro and con Moana but it seems like a reasonable option that can fit into that space and probably is far enough along development that it could be started and completed relatively quickly (on a Disney scale, so maybe like 3 years if they “work fast”).

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Dinoland will need something to replace Primeval Whirl regardless. But it could be something cheap if funds go to Pandora.
If Pandora gets it, Dinoland needs something. It’s practically rotting away.
Concept art for the Moana land did show a log flume/shoot-the-chute-type ride, but that would be expensive like Splash Mountain and too big for Primeval Whirl's space.

doctornick

Concept art for the Moana land did show a log flume/shoot-the-chute-type ride, but that would be expensive like Splash Mountain and too big for Primeval Whirl's space.
The Moana art specifically was designed for the Dinorama space. It would fit. Surely the flume ride would be a bigger footprint than PW but there’s space around there to use.

Not saying it will happen, but it could it they want to build it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom