News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
...admittedly, yeah. Aren't long lines a good indicator of an attraction's popularity?

I gotta ask, what other attractions are "underperforming"? What else do I have to be worried about?

Oh, it would. Modern Disney is too cheap/lazy to build rides full of animatronics. They'd probably replace each and every animatronic dinosaur with a screen. Maybe have one or two impressive-looking Nick and Judy animatronics and nothing more.

Most of the attractions that Disney builds nowadays have very little animatronics. Ratatouille? Zilch. Cosmic Rewind? Zero. TRON? I doubt it, seeing as there likely won't be any actual "show scenes". Chances are the Zootopia retheme of Dinosaur will be the same way.
Unless you're lucky enough to go to the overseas parks

DCLcruiser

@WondersOfLife's post is likely exactly how the Moana boat ride will be. They're SO going to have some sort of "celebration" plotline like with Frozen Ever After and Tiana's Totally Woke Food Co-op Adventure.

I can't picture Chapek's Disney doing a Zootopia retheme of Dinosaur that's actually an improvement over Dinosaur. For multiple reasons.
I meant fixing the Dinosaur pavilion issues. The strobes/animatronics are not at their best. Zooptopia will at least invest money in the pavilion.
I feel like a Zootopia re-theme of Dinosaur will be a mix of King Kong/Fast and Furious style with a mix of MMRR. Lots and lots of screens...

...And I really wouldn't be happy with that.
I haven't ridden either of those, but considering Uni is all screens, that would suck. Some screens are good, but it needs to enhance physical objects.

SpectreJordan

Simpsons really seems to fit with Universal, Disney should offer Universal some of the FOX IP's in exchange for the Marvel rights to use as they please. Or Disney could potentially use some of those FOX IP's to build a new park, it might work with a new park, but not the current Disney parks.
All of the Marvel rights would be too big of a win for Disney for Universal to give back, especially for smaller Fox IPs.

What I'm hoping is that Disney & Universal can make a deal over X-Men though. Universal can keep Simpsons (& maybe gain a Fox IP) & in return Disney gets X-Men.

The X-Men presence in IOA would be fairly easy to get rid of; they wouldn't have to get rid of two of their main attractions like with Spider-Man & Hulk nor would they have to retheme a restaurant like with Fantastic Four or Captain America.

UNCgolf

Of course, the Beauty and the Beast ride they built in Tokyo has a lot of animatronics and it's still mediocre at best.

Eh, I disagree. It definitely has some flaws (the outdoor scene especially), but it still looks like a good ride. I'd take it over most of what they've built at WDW this century.

EDIT: To clarify -- it looks better than Toy Story Mania, Slinky Dog Dash, Smuggler's Run, Alien Swirling Saucers, Little Mermaid, Soarin', Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, TRON, Frozen Ever After, Ratatouille, and Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. I don't think it looks as good as Rise, Flight of Passage, Expedition Everest, or NRJ (when considering what NRJ does as a C ticket vs. what BatB does as an E ticket; they can't really be compared straight up). I think that's everything, although I may be forgetting a couple of attractions.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Also it has a high capacity. Likely equal to Everest and I don’t think Kilimanjaro ever gets close to its operational capacity nowadays. So all three could be in the same ballpark. And clearly Dinosaur has the least appeal because it is not a) the parks statement attraction b) a family thrill coaster
I wouldn't say that. I think the ride & especially a dinosaur area fit the themes of Animal Kingdom well. Dinosaurs are the perfect example of what happens when a species goes extinct. People are obsessed with these creatures, but we'll sadly never get to see one. We have to take this example to ensure that we protect all of the creatures that still inhabit the Earth; especially because unlike the dinosaurs, we can control the outcome of endangered species.

cjkeating

I wouldn't say that. I think the ride & especially a dinosaur area fit the themes of Animal Kingdom well. Dinosaurs are the perfect example of what happens when a species goes extinct. People are obsessed with these creatures, but we'll sadly never get to see one. We have to take this example to ensure that we protect all of the creatures that still inhabit the Earth; especially because unlike the dinosaurs, we can control the outcome of endangered species.
Oh I completely agree and think you have misunderstood my intended point. I was just saying Dinosaur is the least popular of the three attractions because it isn't the parks statement attraction (Kilimanjaro) or a family thrill coaster (Everest) so will naturally have a lower demand as a high capacity intense/scary ride.

Losing Dinosaurs at DAK would be a huge loss for the park, I'm a huge Dinosaur fan (and prefer it to Indiana Jones Adventure by quite a margin, I know...) and would much rather they expanded the 'Dino Institute' aesthetic into Chester and Hesters if they don't want to replace/refurbish Chester and Hesters following the loss of Primeval Whirl.

celluloid

Eh, I disagree. It definitely has some flaws (the outdoor scene especially), but it still looks like a good ride. I'd take it over most of what they've built at WDW this century.

Agreed. Mediocre only because of what is all around it relative. It is still stronger than most of if not all of Fantasyland Expansion. It is definitely stronger DLR's latest efforts with cloning MRRR and the joke of a Spiderman attraction. Which is literally screen to screen with static scenery.

J4546

Agreed. Mediocre only because of what is all around it relative. It is still stronger than most of if not all of Fantasyland Expansion. It is definitely stronger DLR's latest efforts with cloning MRRR and the joke of a Spiderman attraction. Which is literally screen to screen with static scenery.
I think cloning mmrr along with the total refresh and update of the toontown is one of the best things to happen to dl in a very long time

UNCgolf

I would happily replace Be Our Guest with it; it would go in perfectly there. Would also be a good reason to fix the Beast's Castle and how nothing about it makes any sense.

EricsBiscuit

It’s not really panic. It’s been mentioned around these parts that Dinoland would see changes and that they’d eventually expand north of Big Thunder. Now you just know those of us saying that weren’t just blowing hot air.

I suspect they will be ready to announce official plans with artwork at Destination D23 next fall, which makes sense. That’s at WDW. Moana may be underway by then but it would still be early stages.
They can’t be waiting that long to start? Do they underestimate Universal that badly?

MagicHappens1971

They can’t be waiting that long to start? Do they underestimate Universal that badly?
They’re not super worried about Universal. And quite frankly there’s no reason for them to. Yes I am sure they will continue to build and expand to draw more people in, but Epic is still not targeted for young ones, as well as their rides are not typically super inclusive, if you’re too tall, too fat, etc, while Disney does not really share that same issue. Plus there are other factors at play.

I think Moana/Zootopia (in phases) will most likely start construction soon, with official artwork/announcement, as previously mentioned, at DestinationD next fall.

Beyond Big Thunder probably won’t break ground until 2025 at the earliest.

Rich Brownn

They’re not super worried about Universal. And quite frankly there’s no reason for them to. Yes I am sure they will continue to build and expand to draw more people in, but Epic is still not targeted for young ones, as well as their rides are not typically super inclusive, if you’re too tall, too fat, etc, while Disney does not really share that same issue. Plus there are other factors at play.

I think Moana/Zootopia (in phases) will most likely start construction soon, with official artwork/announcement, as previously mentioned, at DestinationD next fall.

Universal will never top Magic Kingdom, but thats not what they're gunning for. They know the other parks are vulnerable...

doctornick

It’s nice to know there are real plans but very unfortunate that the one park really expanding is the one with already highest capacity while DAK gets replacements when it really needs something additional and DHS is being ignored despite being massively under needed capacity. Are they at least going to put something in the Little Mermaid space sometime?

montyz81

It amazes me that Dinoland USA is getting attention while Figment sits dying a slow death. I would argue that the real estate Figment sits on is worth more than Dinoland USA in terms of potential, but I could be convinced otherwise. I only say that based on the path to World Showcase vs a path to Dinosaur

pdude81

It amazes me that Dinoland USA is getting attention while Figment sits dying a slow death. I would argue that the real estate Figment sits on is worth more than Dinoland USA in terms of potential, but I could be convinced otherwise. I only say that based on the path to World Showcase vs a path to Dinosaur
I think it's more that Epcot has 2 new rides and a nighttime show or 4 since Pandora opened. Dinosaur is a cool ride but it scares most kids and the rest is just a placeholder. I actually like the carnival games but a big flume ride would be cool. Now I wish they would have just rethemed Splash to Moana so they could do something else here, but that's an even tougher sell in Frontierland than PaTF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom