News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Animaniac93-98

Are the people geeking out over Six Flags' new coasters really the same people who drop thousands of dollars on a Walt Disney World vacation?

Obviously there's bound to be *some* overlap in their audiences, but WDW has never been a thrill junkie haven. Any market share Six Flags is picking up is not automatically at the expense of Walt Disney World. Respectfully, people who've been traveling to WDW their whole lives are not suddenly getting their needs met by Cedar Fair.

EPCOT went 40 years without a roller coaster, and the big brand-spanking new one they opened hasn't meaningfully moved the needle. Magic Kingdom just opened the fastest, most intense roller coaster in its history and the story is the same.

There really isn't evidence to suggest the Walt Disney World audience hangs in the balance over a type of offering its guests have never been primed to expect of it.

Disney World opened its 2nd roller coaster in 1980. It's third came in 1996...and that was The Barnstormer.

WDW has opened the same number of roller coasters in the last 10 years as it did its first 30+.

scottieRoss

I think most younglings also are swaying to like Despicable Me's continuation of Minions(overkill or not) and Dreamworks(more finally on the way) and Jurassic Park(thanks to parents and Jurassic World) than really care about Encanto, Strange World or anything from Pixar in the last ten years. That helps the final choice too.

People that liked Frozen a lot as kids, are now grown on their own in their early career jobs and for sure pass some of that down once their kids are born. Tangled and Princess and the Frog are an entire generation ago.

Kids watch far more Dreamworks thru Netflix like the modern Saturday Morning Cartoon mindless fun than they do much on Disney Plus.

All of these things combined mixed with what you said and new attractions, mostly being major the last four and a half years and you have the reasons for a bigger shift.
sorry, but every statement is false.
box office, merch sales and theme park attendance counter all of those statements about DesicMe and Dreamworks
Frozen was released just under 10 years ago and the audience was primarily under 8, so they are now late teens, not career girls. And very few would be having children now.
Among under 12 audience, Disney+ shows higher hours viewed than Netflix as well as Higher subscriber rates.

Cliff

I think most of us fear that without that person to stick up for the integrity of the park. It will just end up like Epcot and the studios, a hodge podge of whatever they need to find a spot for.
You said this perfectly well!

I know this is a "negative" opinion and this kind of thought might not be allowed here...but I'll say it anyway....

I really feel like Disney management is running this company into the ground in MULTIPLE areas. To me, ever since the Fox merger, Disney has been on a terrible slide....especially the parks. I could list 50 reasons but it all boils down to extremely bad decisions from people that are completely disconnected from their customers...and fully disconnected from Disney's own HERRITAGE and history and past culture! Even worse...I suspect that many decision makers dont even like the history of the company!

Anyway....yes, I miss Joe Rode and Animal Kingdom's ORIGINAL concepts: Animals,...present, past and mythical. No animals with pants please! No Zootopia!

If you MUST build either Zootopia or Moana...ugg...Ok, build Moana and tie it into the "ecology" idea of DAK. But, I I'd rather see something new and original instead.

I'm not trying to anger or trigger anybody here. I know this is supposed to be a positive forum and this is considered wrong-think by many. There are also many people that believe Disney is fine and nothing is going wrong with it and want negative talk to stop. Sorry...but this is just what my eyes see today.

(Im expecting this post to get zapped any minute)

Last edited:

scottieRoss

I know this is a "negative" opinion and this kind of thought might not be allowed here...but I'll say it anyway....

I really feel like Disney management is running this company into the ground in MULTIPLE areas. To me, ever since the Fox merger, Disney has been on a terrible slide....especially the parks. I could list 50 reasons but it all boils down to extremely bad decisions from people that are completely disconnected from their customers...and fully disconnected from Disney's own HERRITAGE and history and past culture! Even worse...I suspect that many decision makers dont even like the history of the company!

Anyway....yes, I miss Joe Rode and Animal Kingdom's ORIGINAL concepts: Animals,...present, past and mythical. No animals with pants please! No Zootopia!

If you MUST build either Zootopia or Moana...ugg...Ok, build Moana and tie it into the "ecology" idea of DAK. But, I I'd rather see something new and original instead.

I'm not trying to anger or trigger anybody here. I know this is supposed to be a positive forum and this is considered wrong-think by many. There are also many people that believe Disney is fine and nothing is going wrong with it and want negative talk to stop. Sorry...but this is just what my eyes see today.

And once again, this is just an agenda with nothing to support it.
"I could list" but then not even one example.
They are disconnected from their customers, yet attendance levels are exceeding 2019.
"disconnected from Disney's own HERRITAGE" (sic) yet you have no examples or understanding of Disney's own history and past culture.
All you have is your agenda you have posted again and again, and again nothing to back it up.

tl77

Dinoland "could" be awesome, but WDI has to hire me first
11-AK-dinoland.jpg
12-t-rex-body-compared-with-human.jpg
13AK-dinoland-energy-bt.jpg

14-AK everest dinoland.jpg

SpectreJordan

When it works as intended. Yes. That is the one. But that was four years ago with no new dark ride from ground up of its caliber on the horizon. It should be the standard, not the exception.
To be fair, they only have one ride in development at WDW right now..... Yeeeeeah. :/

This far from the most negative post I've seen on here, you atleast tried to word it nicely lmao
The cliffs they park the forced perspective house on in the "distance" would be the perfect hiding place for a dark ride, wouldn't it?
100%. It'd be an "Instagramable" spot too which I'm sure is something they actively want in the parks nowadays.

& like I said Up has some themes that would fit DAK pretty well. The conservation themes aren't the main point of the film, but they're still there & I'm sure that would make for a good ride.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I occasionally like to return to this thread to repeat the saying...

Removing Dinosaurs from Animal Kingdom is an incredibly STUPID idea.
I agree there really needs to be a section dedicated to dinosaurs. Should be be Chester and Hester’s. Uh no. But keep the boneyard, dinosaur and spinner ride, and the quick service restaurant. Modify the dinosaur ride. Move the spinner. Expand and retheme Chester and Hester's I’m ok with.

Bocabear

The whole entire reason for having discussion boards is to talk about everything...the good, the bad, the ugly... Disney seems to be going through a dark time in both management and creative decisions... It is good to talk about that too.
If we wanted all positive discussion only, we could go on the official Disney boards have have positive, curated statements made by glowing fans and Disney Marketing professionals to talk about how wonderful they are.... lol
I think a lot of us here are disturbed by what we see going on in the parks these days. It is hard to witness the changes and say nothing.

mousekedoc

So, shoot me for never liking the mythical creatures idea thingy. Granted, the Yeti is great. I guess if they went with Nessie and a Kraken. Despite the obvious loss of intellect, Zootopia makes sense in a Disney theme park. Why not put it in what the general public views as Disney’s zoo? But if push came to shove and I was a Disney Exec, I would double down on dinosaurs. The ”fad” still grips young boys at the very least. And having had my daughter “grow up” in Disney parks, the boneyard is an incredible place for the kiddos. Soo very wish washy, but I’m a big fan that has made a twice yearly pilgrimage for 15 years now. That said, reading my own post says to me there will never be a perfect answer to how to expand AK.

LSLS

So, shoot me for never liking the mythical creatures idea thingy. Granted, the Yeti is great. I guess if they went with Nessie and a Kraken. Despite the obvious loss of intellect, Zootopia makes sense in a Disney theme park. Why not put it in what the general public views as Disney’s zoo? But if push came to shove and I was a Disney Exec, I would double down on dinosaurs. The ”fad” still grips young boys at the very least. And having had my daughter “grow up” in Disney parks, the boneyard is an incredible place for the kiddos. Soo very wish washy, but I’m a big fan that has made a twice yearly pilgrimage for 15 years now. That said, reading my own post says to me there will never be a perfect answer to how to expand AK.

The problem is Disney is all in on IP only now. And while I agree with what you are saying, they don't have a Jurassic Park to tie it to, so I can't imagine there is a large desire to keep it around. Also why I don't think there's much of a shot at any sort of a mythical creatures thing.

Cliff

The whole entire reason for having discussion boards is to talk about everything...the good, the bad, the ugly... Disney seems to be going through a dark time in both management and creative decisions... It is good to talk about that too.
If we wanted all positive discussion only, we could go on the official Disney boards have have positive, curated statements made by glowing fans and Disney Marketing professionals to talk about how wonderful they are.... lol
I think a lot of us here are disturbed by what we see going on in the parks these days. It is hard to witness the changes and say nothing.
Very well said!

I think that what Disney needs right now is NOT the "Pixie Duster" crowd. Foe a while, I feel that Disney themselves, internaly, have become their own "Pixie Dusters". They kept looking into a mirror and seeing their own reflection and telling themselves "You look great...everything is fine!"

Its not fine....Disney, stop believing your own Pixie Dust! What they need is a top to bottom hard and HONEST look at themselves and return back to the ROOTS of this company. It took Disney 100 years to grow as a TRUSTED brand by everybody. Today...from what I can see..that public trust is crumbling fast. Disney is no longer a TRUSTED brand and that dis-trust is growing fast.

As for the parks...I feel that they need new leadership and Disney needs to stop sucking up parks profits to prop up other failing areas of the company! Disney could have built THREE new parks for the money they have dumped into D+. Those would have at least been profitable whereas D+ is still gushing blood and losing money every day that goes by. Even if D+ can get to a break even point. How many decades will it take to make back the original billions that were dumped into it to start it? Maybe never?

D+ is killing the parks because Disney thinks their parks are "bullet proof". No...Disney...they are NOT bullet proof!!. If parks demand continues to drop...Disney is in big..BIG..trouble! Yes...it's already started. (Hopefully it's only temporary)

Get Joe Rode back. Whatever happened between Disney and Joe Rohde needs to be repaired. Beg this man to come back and then give him the keys to the creative car and let HIM drive it!

Sorry if my opinion is disturbing or offensive to anybody. I know that many prople only want to hear that everything with Disney is fine and OK.

Last edited:

rd805

I think Joe Rhode is still heading up Virgin Galactic, which seems like a pretty amazing job opportunity for him ( I may be out of touch on that). With that being said -- he had all the integrity and vision of Walt and many of our other favorite 'imaginers.' Disney is still a magical place, but we need more 'new' and it has to be built faster. The years it takes to add on attractions is the biggest problem I have. 4-5 years from announcements in many cases is atrocious.

Many on these boards don't think EU will take away crowds -- I whole heartedly disagree. Universal will soon have 3 theme parks, one of which with entirely new technology and offerings and will absolutely be sole reasons families start vacationing to Florida. At two theme parks and a water park, it is hard to design a 'week's long vacation' around that portfolio, but you add a completely immersive 3rd park? Universal may have just become a 4-5 day vacation for families while Animal Kingdom is still very much a HALF DAY PARK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom