News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

FigmentFan82

The double down on Moana with the live action announcement definitely makes these blue sky ideas a little more possible for sure. Obv plans change all the time, but I'll def be watching this space

celluloid

Cool Runnings
Blank Check
The Santa Clause

For sure those are good. And there are even others that came from that time. We can really thank Eisner for undesrtanding that not everything had to be a tent pole. I mentioned 2 that did not get recognized and were not huge performers.

Santa Clause and Cool Runnings were not underrated hits. They are critically and commercially well received. I saw both in theaters.

I saw Blank Check in theaters and it was written by one of the most successful spec script sellers of all time.

Rocketman I actually saw with friends when AMC had a birthday party program my dad paid for. I got to take like six friends and then I got a film reel of the original Air Bud Trailer, which funny enough my dog chewed up part of.

Marc Davis Fan

Honestly, my biggest concern about this expansion is the apparent plan to retain Triceratop Spin’s ride mechanism. If the land is intended m to be immersive, that’s going to break it for sure…

Stupido

Honestly, my biggest concern about this expansion is the apparent plan to retain Triceratop Spin’s ride mechanism. If the land is intended m to be immersive, that’s going to break it for sure…

I don’t think it would be too immersion breaking. Every park needs a flat ride for families with young children (looking at you, Epcot), and with the theorized flume/boat ride being less intense than Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, I’d imagine this Moana area will be much more family focused. I just hope they bring more animals in to really round this out. I’d be pretty bummed if all we get are a FEA esque ride and a spinner.

BlakeW39

Eh, they’ve been doing quite a bit of brand new ideas with animated films - Strange World, Turning Red, Raya, Encanto, Soul, Luca have all come out just since the pandemic began. Elemental is on the way. Wish and Lightyear have elements of other films but are new ideas.

It’s true that for live action Disney, they have bailed on new ideas but that’s because they have been awful at trying. At some point they simply determined they weren’t successful at it and it was just wasting money.

Animated films are the only place Disney is making new content. Everywhere else, including the parks, is just repeats of the same tacky corporate brand ****.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
The double down on Moana with the live action announcement definitely makes these blue sky ideas a little more possible for sure. Obv plans change all the time, but I'll def be watching this space
The concept art we’ve seen would be impossible to make happen in reality though, unless they decide to tear down the Nemo theatre. Heck, I think that, in the concept art, the water ride is placed where Primeval Whirl and the theatre were/are. I do think though that the Moana water ride should have animal exhibits in the queue like an aquarium for sea life in the South Pacific and Hawaii.

ToTBellHop

The concept art we’ve seen would be impossible to make happen in reality though, unless they decide to tear down the Nemo theatre. Heck, I think that, in the concept art, the water ride is placed where Primeval Whirl and the theatre were/are.
I’ve already shown Frozen Ever After could fit in without removing Nemo. I’m not expecting Splash Mountain scale.

J4546

The concept art we’ve seen would be impossible to make happen in reality though, unless they decide to tear down the Nemo theatre. Heck, I think that, in the concept art, the water ride is placed where Primeval Whirl and the theatre were/are. I do think though that the Moana water ride should have animal exhibits in the queue like an aquarium for sea life in the South Pacific and Hawaii.
if they made the que like an aquarium that would be really cool imo. Or just a massive new aquarium exhibit...but I love aquariums.I wish the Epcot Seas pavilion would be torn down and completely redone, its way to small and dated and get rid of the dolphins.

yensidtlaw1969

It really isn't - presumably some of the space behind the Primeval Whirl lot could be reclaimed in the name of Moana, but even if not there's space for something sizeable without impacting the Nemo Theater:

40F24D28-6732-4A25-9326-46D2E104F91B-1.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 7.19.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 7.20.23 PM.png

Marc Davis Fan

I don’t think it would be too immersion breaking. Every park needs a flat ride for families with young children (looking at you, Epcot), and with the theorized flume/boat ride being less intense than Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, I’d imagine this Moana area will be much more family focused. I just hope they bring more animals in to really round this out. I’d be pretty bummed if all we get are a FEA esque ride and a spinner.

It could certainly be worse, but what I meant is...

At their best, Disney theme park lands transport us to other times and places in ways that allow us to suspend our disbelief. One of the ways they've accomplished this is to avoid "non-diagetic" elements such as exposed steel roller coasters and carnival flat rides (apart from areas that don't attempt transport us to specific times/places, such as Tomorrowland and the original versions of Fantasyland). When they diligently recreate a time/place - such as Pandora or Liberty Square (America during the time of the Revolution) for instance - adding a flat ride would destroy the carefully-crafted illusion that permits the experience of "immersion."

So, if this new land is more like the early versions of Fantasyland, where it's a semi-abstract representation of things, in that case amusement park rides could fit even if they're not optimal (since immersion is in large part what makes Disney Disney). But if it claims to transport us to, say, the world of Moana, then an amusement park ride would contradict ("break") that.

I also think there are a lot of attraction types that are wonderful for families with young children (e.g., boat rides, dark rides, etc.) that aren't amusement park flat rides.

KingMickey13

It could certainly be worse, but what I meant is...

At their best, Disney theme park lands transport us to other times and places in ways that allow us to suspend our disbelief. One of the ways they've accomplished this is to avoid "non-diagetic" elements such as exposed steel roller coasters and carnival flat rides (apart from areas that don't attempt transport us to specific times/places, such as Tomorrowland and the original versions of Fantasyland). When they diligently recreate a time/place - such as Pandora or Liberty Square (America during the time of the Revolution) for instance - adding a flat ride would destroy the carefully-crafted illusion that permits the experience of "immersion."

So, if this new land is more like the early versions of Fantasyland, where it's a semi-abstract representation of things, in that case amusement park rides could fit even if they're not optimal (since immersion is in large part what makes Disney Disney). But if it claims to transport us to, say, the world of Moana, then an amusement park ride would contradict ("break") that.

I also think there are a lot of attraction types that are wonderful for families with young children (e.g., boat rides, dark rides, etc.) that aren't amusement park flat rides.
I think it’s going to be more “general” like Fantasyland. Look at Dumbo and the Mad Tea Party…

James Alucobond

Kakamora constructs are absurd enough in the film that, if disguised as shown in the concept art, it's pretty indistinguishable from elements shown to be part of Moana's world.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
No they don't.... In fact... Epcot THRIVED without one since its opening day into the early 90s.
To be fair, when EPCOT opened, I don't think ANY ride had a height requirement (someone can correct me if I'm wrong)... in fact I think the first ride with a height requirement wasn't added until 7 years after EPCOT opened when Body Wars opened. EPCOT was an entire park that was accessible to everyone and every attraction could be enjoyed by every person. It's honestly what DAK and DHS severely lack right now... more rides that can be enjoyed by every height requirement.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

To be fair, when EPCOT opened, I don't think ANY ride had a height requirement (someone can correct me if I'm wrong)... in fact I don't think the first ride with a height requirement came about until 7 years after EPCOT opened when Body Wars opened. EPCOT was an entire park was accessible to everyone and every attraction could be enjoyed by every person. It's honestly what DAK and DHS severely lack right now... more rides that can be enjoyed by every height requirement.

Tbh I think Animal Kingdom just lacks rides in general. DHS too but to a lesser extent. DAK is my favorite theme park and it has like, what, 3 major E-tickets? I'm sorry but for what Disney charges that's just unacceptable, especially since one of those three is Everest, which has been broken for more than 15 years.

ToTBellHop

Tbh I think Animal Kingdom just lacks rides in general. DHS too but to a lesser extent. DAK is my favorite theme park and it has like, what, 3 major E-tickets? I'm sorry but for what Disney charges that's just unacceptable, especially since one of those three is Everest, which has been broken for more than 15 years.
Doesn’t seem they are interested in adding an E-ticket with the Dinoland project…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom