Zip-a-dee-doo-BLAH, let's track its progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinTheGoat

Whether a smart thing to do or not, i'd be in favor of a front page column for the maintenance issues plaguing the parks. Something with a title akin to "Broken At WDW" or whatever, a feed dedicated to listing and detailing what's broken or in need of maintenance in specific rides, attractions, or places/etc. When (or more like IF) it's fixed, it can be either taken off or listed as "fixed" in green.

It would be a shame if they had to steer clear of some "TDO hate", just for the sake of keeping the peace. I'm sure that's what TDO wants, for people to keep their mouths shut and not have this sort of stuff on any front pages. They thrive on people not speaking out against it.

Nitpicking is always good in cases like this. It's your money that is being spent on the parks and you always have a right to be critical of valid issues. It's a shame some people tr to paint it as a negative thing (which ironically doesn't help ANY park goer but definitely helps a company like TDO continue doing whatever they want without consequence).

devoy1701

Whether a smart thing to do or not, i'd be in favor of a front page column for the maintenance issues plaguing the parks. Something with a title akin to "Broken At WDW" or whatever, a feed dedicated to listing and detailing what's broken or in need of maintenance in specific rides, attractions, or places/etc. When (or more like IF) it's fixed, it can be either taken off or listed as "fixed" in green.

It would be a shame if they had to steer clear of some "TDO hate", just for the sake of keeping the peace. I'm sure that's what TDO wants, for people to keep their mouths shut and not have this sort of stuff on any front pages. They thrive on people not speaking out against it.

Nitpicking is always good in cases like this. It's your money that is being spent on the parks and you always have a right to be critical of valid issues. It's a shame some people tr to paint it as a negative thing (which ironically doesn't help ANY park goer but definitely helps a company like TDO continue doing whatever they want without consequence).

I agree. The bolded statement and the general consensus that maintenance issues don't ruin my vacation so it's not worth complaining about is the biggest downfall of the WDW Fan Community right now. No kidding Maintenance Issues probably won't ruin your vacation, but not having these Maintenance Issues would definitely add to your vacation!

I haven't approached Steve directly yet to see if he is opposed to the idea or not. Again, I figured we need to get organized better first. I can write articles and blog as good as anybody but I lack the specific knowledge of management of WDW besides knowing the names of Meg and a few of the VPs. Those who do have the in-depth knowledge don't seem to be coming forward though...

Perhaps I should start reading up!

MaryJaneP

My $.02 is to restart WDWBLUES.com. It was a great "this is broken in WDW" website. All vitriol and finger-pointing. I would completely understand if this site chooses to encourage postive posts and leave the completely negative stuff to others.

devoy1701

My $.02 is to restart WDWBLUES.com. It was a great "this is broken in WDW" website. All vitriol and finger-pointing. I would completely understand if this site chooses to encourage postive posts and leave the completely negative stuff to others.

I definitely think a Blog style would work better than an open forum. That way the criticism can be creative and in good taste versus purely TDO Hate Threads.

tirian

Original Poster
Good points all around. Again, the key word is "influence"; Disney doesn't care about a single thread in a forum because the Internet is notorious for fanboy rants about everything. But if a legitimate outlet started offering concerned, well informed criticism as well as praise, the media *might* pick up on it, and then Disney would have to acknowledge it.

Al Lutz did it for California. He's the first person the LA Times and other outlets cite for DL.

WDW Magic would be perfect for it as long as it were controlled. A simple blog tracking both problems and improvements shouldn't affect Steve's amiable relationship with Disney, as long as comments were disabled. He probably doesn't want to get too involved, however, since that's not this site's purpose.

Buried20KLeague

WDW Magic would be perfect for it as long as it were controlled. A simple blog tracking both problems and improvements shouldn't affect Steve's amiable relationship with Disney, as long as comments were disabled. He probably doesn't want to get too involved, however, since that's not this site's purpose.

Ain't gonna happen on this site. I would bet Steve doesn't have any interest in getting involved.

He could prove me incorrect... :drevil: But I doubt it.

tirian

Original Poster
Ain't gonna happen on this site. I would bet Steve doesn't have any interest in getting involved.

I wouldn't really expect him to get involved; that's not the purpose of this site.

Tom

Beta Return

Agreed. I don't think Steve wants to dedicate a part of his forum solely to bashing Disney. The occasional thread is fine, but if people want to do this, it needs to be a separate site.

To look at it from another angle, we're all mad about this stuff because we CARE. We're not Disney haters, or we wouldn't be on here. We complain because we want our beloved parks to be nice again, and stay nice.

I, for one, would be a happy contributor to a site that focuses on constructive criticism and helpful suggestions, but not to one whose goal it is simply to bash Disney, bash the managers, bash TDO and drag their name through the mud.

This topic can be handled two completely different ways - one positive, one negative. Negativity doesn't get anyone anywhere.

tirian

Original Poster
Agreed. I don't think Steve wants to dedicate a part of his forum solely to bashing Disney. The occasional thread is fine, but if people want to do this, it needs to be a separate site.

To look at it from another angle, we're all mad about this stuff because we CARE. We're not Disney haters, or we wouldn't be on here. We complain because we want our beloved parks to be nice again, and stay nice.

I, for one, would be a happy contributor to a site that focuses on constructive criticism and helpful suggestions, but not to one whose goal it is simply to bash Disney, bash the managers, bash TDO and drag their name through the mud.

This topic can be handled two completely different ways - one positive, one negative. Negativity doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Precisely. :D

RSoxNo1

I have something in the works that may allow for a spot to track the "Status of Effects". I agree this can be a very useful tool.

devoy1701

Would it be prudent at this point to start a general discussion thread to see who would be interested in participating/organizing a blog for this purpose and to find out who has the necessary detailed knowledge of the TDO machine to help make this happen?

I mean face it...the WDW fan community has been talking about TDO and park maintenance since I've joined this site 4 years ago and this whole time we've kept saying we're missing an Al Lutz voice to make any progress...I feel like the ball has started rolling on this recently (atleast it seems like a higher amount of threads than normal have been servicing lately on the issue) and Kevin's article definitely helps, but if we sit too long then the tide will just rollout and it'll be another missed opportunity.

Whatcha guys think?

njDizFan

Yes, you should start the thread. I would love to participate, but I have little knowledge of TDO hierarchy, little to no technical prowess, a scant amount of free time available, and have less that 10 WDW trips in my pocket. Besides that I'm your man...

Tom

Beta Return
Would it be prudent at this point to start a general discussion thread to see who would be interested in participating/organizing a blog for this purpose and to find out who has the necessary detailed knowledge of the TDO machine to help make this happen?

I mean face it...the WDW fan community has been talking about TDO and park maintenance since I've joined this site 4 years ago and this whole time we've kept saying we're missing an Al Lutz voice to make any progress...I feel like the ball has started rolling on this recently (atleast it seems like a higher amount of threads than normal have been servicing lately on the issue) and Kevin's article definitely helps, but if we sit too long then the tide will just rollout and it'll be another missed opportunity.

Whatcha guys think?

Heck, I'd be happy to get the domain and point it to a Wordpress or other blog and skin it up. But being in Indiana, my only contributions would be on a technical side, and to provide input from a construction/maintenance/facilities point of view.

Unless RSoxNo1 has something in place that's more suited for this.

Tom

Beta Return

Would have to contact this person to get wdwblues.com, which has expired. It will be available on June 30 if not renewed:
Sergei Ivanov
Jarvekula tee 67A
Kohtla-Jarve
Järvamaa,30395
EE
Tel. +372.397850

RandySavage

Here's a good template, a Details & Effects Checklist for the Paris park...

http://www.photosmagiques.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5607

They've been doing it for years. The first post lists every relevant effect/detail in the park (something becomes relevant when it stops working) and is regularly updated with the color-coded status by the originators of the thread (based on info reported by regular posters).

There is no bashing/discussion in constantly-updated first post - just a yea/nay on effects&detail status.

pumpkin7

this is sad to hear. i do like splash moutain a whole bunch and go on it every visit.
we last went in august last year, and from what i can remember, the only things that weren't working was brer frog on the climb; saying that, he was moving and talking, but one of his eyes had broken and he looked a bit drunk lol, and one of the geese during the final scene was leaning backward and just moving side to side. oh, and also that fishy thing that jumps out the water wasn't working on one ride, but on the next was fine.
it may have just been an unlucky day, and like a previous poster said, something had tripped making none of the animatronics work properly, because that's one hell of a list of broken AAs.

Spike-in-Berlin

the MK's FLE was basically forced onto TDO, as were the Star Tours and general maintenance updates.

That's interesting. What do you mean by that, TDO didn't want any expansion in the park in the next years at all?
I didn't know it was that bad and TDO was that terrible.

fireworkz

I didn't see it mentioned, but Splash went down at least two times for extended periods on Monday. First at around 11:30 and again around 3:00 less than a hour after it was restarted. Both times I was about a boat or two away from boarding and it shut down. Finally rode it around 11pm and the CM on FassPass seemed to imply it went down at least a third time before it finally stayed open for the evening. Did notice some AAs out, but was more keeping fingers crossed I would make it though without ride stop and evac.

A little off topic - Monday was almost disastrous, only had a one day to spend at WDW after a cruise and in addition to Splash, Space Mtn was down several times, first in the morning, then again in the evening. On top of that Peter Pan went down for the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom