Zip-a-dee-doo-BLAH, let's track its progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

zooey

I think TDO is holding back on major maintenance or rehabs until FLE nears opening when they expect a surge of people to come see the parks. They're going to want the parks looking their best with all the people coming in to see what's new. If they spend that money now, there is a good chance they will have to spend it again in a year or so, and they figure they can just wait it out.

erasure fan1

I think TDO is holding back on major maintenance or rehabs until FLE nears opening when they expect a surge of people to come see the parks. They're going to want the parks looking their best with all the people coming in to see what's new. If they spend that money now, there is a good chance they will have to spend it again in a year or so, and they figure they can just wait it out.

The sad part is if they would just do the regular maintenance/refurbs on a regular schedule, like they have done, you wouldnt have this avalanche of problems to worry about.

tirian

Original Poster
No offense to you, but that would be one of the most ridiculous business plans for anyone, anywhere. I doubt Disney, Six Flags, or a local carnival would let things fall apart with plans to fix it in eight months.

They make plenty of money; FLE has nothing to do with it.

zooey

No offense to you, but that would be one of the most ridiculous business plans for anyone, anywhere. I doubt Disney, Six Flags, or a local carnival would let things fall apart with plans to fix it in eight months.

They make plenty of money; FLE has nothing to do with it.

I'm not saying that this would affect safety. They will always maintain the ride tracks and safety systems. I'm just saying that show is suffering, and they can afford to put that off until later when it counts in the case of something like Splash, where the average guest considers it up and running as usual if the drop works. And yeah, they make plenty of money but that doesn't mean they want to spend it.

awalkinthepark

I popped into the MK on Thursday afternoon and they were draining Splash so I didn't get a chance to check it out. As far as maintenance goes..I know some people that spent more time laid off than working and finally gave up on Disney and moved on to other opportunities.

Loved the new changes to the Haunted Mansion though...very pleasantly surprised...(I haven't been stalking the Disney boards lately).

nemofinder22

This is just sad... even more so since MK's Splash is far better than DL(story-wise at least)

WDW just needs to suck it up and close things for an extended period of time and refurbish these things(with proper budgets) and the ones who's "vacations are ruined" need to suck it up as well. Sadly both will probably not happen.

The Duck

After 9/11, management laid off a lot of maintenancd workers. I'm not sure if it affected Frontierland, but in Animal Kingdom, the layoffs are at least partially responsible for the poor state of Everest and Dinosaur, where maintenance is spread so thin that they can't fix broken effects.

If Splash has really been this bad for so long, why hasn't anyone bothered to make a stink about it before Kevin did? Either way, I'm glad this is getting some press. Pirates and Jungle Cruise reportedly have had recent upticks in maintenance, while Big Thunder and Splash are in terrible shape. Let's hope Disney gets it together.

Was 9/11 actually a factor or an excuse? They couldn't have redirected THAT much money towards security.

SeaCastle

Was 9/11 actually a factor or an excuse? They couldn't have redirected THAT much money towards security.

I don't believe any money was redirected. I was under the impression that it was more related to the fact that they felt the need to batten down the financial hatches after tourism dropped off precipitously. Once tourism rebounded, they never went back to their previous employment levels, which is why maintenance is spread so thin (supposedly).

Tom

Beta Return

An excuse...but in their defense, the travel/tourism suffered greatly in the months/years following 9/11. I can't quote facts and figures, but Disney did indeed suffer.

Did they suffer enough to justify laying off the bottom rung of staff (the ones who keep things going)? Perhaps not, but they sure took advantage of it.

BigThunderMatt

I think TDO is holding back on major maintenance or rehabs until FLE nears opening when they expect a surge of people to come see the parks.

Unfortunately, this is a trend that's been going on LONG before the FLE was even being seriously considered. Try immediately post-9/11, therefore this has been going on for nearly 10 years.

Ransom

Unfortunately, this is a trend that's been going on LONG before the FLE was even being seriously considered. Try immediately post-9/11, therefore this has been going on for nearly 10 years.

I don't know how it is at Disney, but at the typical corp that would just make it all the more difficult to spend the money. MK's VP needs to show improved profits every quarter, and his boss needs to show the same, and so on up. If they spend the money needed to catch up on maintenance (esp. if they hire more people...employees are a long-term, ongoing expense), then there's gonna be some splainin' to do.

It would take someone with some real cojones and excellent political skills to sell that up the food chain. Most middle managers would look at the risk/reward for that and decide it's not worth it.

tirian

Original Poster
I don't know how it is at Disney, but at the typical corp that would just make it all the more difficult to spend the money. MK's VP needs to show improved profits every quarter, and his boss needs to show the same, and so on up. If they spend the money needed to catch up on maintenance (esp. if they hire more people...employees are a long-term, ongoing expense), then there's gonna be some splainin' to do.

It would take someone with some real cojones and excellent political skills to sell that up the food chain. Most middle managers would look at the risk/reward for that and decide it's not worth it.

We're talking about the same company that publicly announced DCA was a failure and is pouring over a billion dollars into it. Plenty of people at corporate know the parks division has suffered; the MK's FLE was basically forced onto TDO, as were the Star Tours and general maintenance updates. No one would be surprised if the MK "suddenly" needed more maintenance. For example, MS has been getting it for years.

I'm frankly amazed that certain people have been able to keep their jobs despite being overruled to bring quality back to the American and Parisian parks. I guess that's politics.

From a business perspective—and this is where I'm personally qualified to speak—the stale mantra of "increase profits no matter what!" needs to bow out to the old model of "decent profits combined with quality." Until the late 90s, things were run the "old" way and operated better than they do now. The mandate to constantly increase has given us ridiculously cheap travel packages, ridiculously inflated hotel and food rack rates, and ridiculously poor maintenance for being one of the most-visited tourist destinations on earth.

It's entertainment. It's not a Wall Street investment firm, it's not a core business, it's not solely a retail company. It's ultimately expendable, and only constant investments will keep it fresh and exciting.

Compared to the DL Resort makeover and TLC operations, TDO (and DLP) look like textbook examples of how NOT to operate an entertainment complex: from a textbook.

EDIT: To get back to Splash Mt: Everything could be conceivably fixed over the course of a month during third shift. The attraction wouldn't even need significant down time.

ANOTHER EDIT: Don't think I'm all doom-and-gloom. TDO does have some excellent managers and execs who do care, who do get it, who do maintain. There's still plenty of good stuff in Florida. The problem is that with the exception of the Yeti on EE, Splash Mountain is the first headliner attraction to be in truly horrible condition, yet be allowed to operate anyway.

devoy1701

We're talking about the same company that publicly announced DCA was a failure and is pouring over a billion dollars into it. Plenty of people at corporate know the parks division has suffered; the MK's FLE was basically forced onto TDO, as were the Star Tours and general maintenance updates. No one would be surprised if the MK "suddenly" needed more maintenance. For example, MS has been getting it for years.

I'm frankly amazed that certain people have been able to keep their jobs despite being overruled to bring quality back to the American and Parisian parks. I guess that's politics.

From a business perspective—and this is where I'm personally qualified to speak—the stale mantra of "increase profits no matter what!" needs to bow out to the old model of "decent profits combined with quality." Until the late 90s, things were run the "old" way and operated better than they do now. The mandate to constantly increase has given us ridiculously cheap travel packages, ridiculously inflated hotel and food rack rates, and ridiculously poor maintenance for being one of the most-visited tourist destinations on earth.

It's entertainment. It's not a Wall Street investment firm, it's not a core business, it's not solely a retail company. It's ultimately expendable, and only constant investments will keep it fresh and exciting.

Compared to the DL Resort makeover and TLC operations, TDO (and DLP) look like textbook examples of how NOT to operate an entertainment complex: from a textbook.

EDIT: To get back to Splash Mt: Everything could be conceivably fixed over the course of a month during third shift. The attraction wouldn't even need significant down time.

ANOTHER EDIT: Don't think I'm all doom-and-gloom. TDO does have some excellent managers and execs who do care, who do get it, who do maintain. There's still plenty of good stuff in Florida. The problem is that with the exception of the Yeti on EE, Splash Mountain is the first headliner attraction to be in truly horrible condition, yet be allowed to operate anyway.

Tirian, I think we should start a blog specific to TDO lack of maintenance...I'm sure lots of us on here would be willing to contribute to topics and many locals on here would be willing to do first hand visits/analysis, and updates. Posting this stuff on web forums is great for fans to keep track of, but we need more articles like Kevin's more often to stand out more...most of these topics on this website and others are gone within a week or two...

mimitchi33

When I rode in March I did notice that it was kinda run down, but the Hopping Brer Rabbit was hopping along, of course I could see his stick that he is attached to. First time the kids rode it was fun still.
When I rode Splash Mountain in March, I thought everything was fine with the ride, but I wasn't paying attention.:fork:

Ransom

Good point.

And they can always point to the success of the money poured into DL leading up to the 50th. That earned a good return.

Oh, I agree. It's insane. Nothing grows forever.

To an outsider, it would appear that TDO did the easier, less risky things needed to boost profits post-9/11. Lots of cost cutting, lots of discounts. Concerns about product quality seems to have taken a back seat to that.

But it's just so much easier to slip into mediocrity...

That's good to know. I'd been wondering.

What will it take to get them to spend the money? Complaints on the Internet? Complaints in the park? Or only diminished attendance?

tirian

Original Poster
Tirian, I think we should start a blog specific to TDO lack of maintenance...I'm sure lots of us on here would be willing to contribute to topics and many locals on here would be willing to do first hand visits/analysis, and updates. Posting this stuff on web forums is great for fans to keep track of, but we need more articles like Kevin's more often to stand out more...most of these topics on this website and others are gone within a week or two...
True, and a "week or two" of constant bashing is really all that most people can handle. ;)

It's a great idea to be sure, but you'd have to use an established site to assure readership. Maybe Kevin would be interested?

I'd be no help here. Although I'm furious about Splash Mt., I'm generally not nitpicky enough to be part of the project. :lol:

tirian

Original Poster
What will it take to get them to spend the money? Complaints on the Internet? Complaints in the park? Or only diminished attendance?

Bad mainstream press that the PR machine can't negate. Al Lutz did it for California. Newspapers did it for Europe. If we could get someone with Lutz's influence in Florida, things would be better.

I can already hear the PR response: "We constantly look at our resort to see where we can grow and improve the legacy...blah blah blah blah blah... and are proud to offer the finest in family entertainment...blah blah blah." :D

devoy1701

True, and a "week or two" of constant bashing is really all that most people can handle. ;)

It's a great idea to be sure, but you'd have to use an established site to assure readership. Maybe Kevin would be interested?

I'd be no help here. Although I'm furious about Splash Mt., I'm generally not nitpicky enough to be part of the project. :lol:

I'm willing and definitely nit-picky enough, but I don't have the knowledge of the actual personnel incharge at WDW to know where to direct critism or blame.

And I was hoping that if we could get organized enough that Steve would be willing to put articles on the home page...unless he prefers to steer clear of the blatent attacks on TDO. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom