Trip Report "You're mean!" & "I'm scared!!" - The Theme of our 2018 Trip.

Well, we're back. Another Disney trip is in the books.
We just got back from Disney at 2am, and i'm getting this thing rolling now while it's all fresh in my mind.

Without further delay....

Thursday 9/6 - Departure Day
I had worked all day and left work promptly at 5pm. My mom had picked Harper up from Daycare, so all I needed to do was head home. The van was already packed and ready to go. Surprisingly after only 10- 15 minutes, we were buckling ourselves into the van and heading on our way right before 6pm!

IMG_20180906_172540.jpg

The drive was pretty uneventful. I had noticed pretty soon into the trip I was getting a pretty bad headache but I tried to ignore it. About 7:45-8pm, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for dinner. Harper was having a blast walking around looking at all the stuff in the lobby. When they called "Lucabaugh, Party of 4!" Harper piped up and said "Where's the party at??" I had to laugh. I looked at her and said "We ARE the party!"

Service was SLOWWWWW tonight. I ended up just getting breakfast and some pumpkin coffee that they had on the menu. It was a pretty long stop, but Harper was pretty good while we were there. She wanted a few things in the gift shop but we assured her she'd get much cooler stuff in Disney. Thus started the "You're MEAN!!!" comments that continued pretty much hourly after that for the remainder of the trip. Ah, 4 year olds!

IMG_20180906_195122_1.jpg

We got back on the road and were headed to our hotel in Hillsville, VA. It was only moments after being in the car after dinner that I started to feel pretty bad. My stomach wasn't feeling awesome and I was instantly transformed into a nervous wreck. I have a bit of a phobia of being sick. Being sick on a very very long car ride towards vacation would be even worse. Quickly I had worked myself into a full panic. We had to stop before we even got on the interstate, and then again about 10 minutes later where things were REALLY bad. It was so odd. I don't get car sick, but it was like the minute we got on the road in the dark, I started to feel extremely sick. After the second pit stop, I asked if I could drive the rest of the way. After some tums, ginger ale, and driving, I started to come around a bit.

We ended up stopping at the Hampton somewhat late and got in the room around 1 am, I believe. I was still very iffy stomach wise, and just a mess. I didn't sleep a wink that first night because the coffee had kicked in and coupled with my anxiety, I just couldn't get my brain to turn off. Not helping was that Harper and I had to share a bed. Eventually at some point I drifted off and got a few hours of sleep.

Up next: Will I feel any better tomorrow for the 2nd leg of our trip??

John Dulmage

Dinner was okay. We sat outside and rain was threatening again and frankly, Harper was being a bear. Everyone was mean. She wasn't listening and wasn't really eating. I ate maybe half of my dinner. Something about the heat was just killing my appetite.

We wondered around a bit and then stumbled upon Erin Mckenna's bakery. I wasn't prepared for what I found inside:

View attachment 315381

Everything in this bakery was gluten free. Everything! I was dying of excitement. As soon as I laid eyes on that Samoa donut, I knew that I needed it. My mom got a chocolate muffin of some kind.

View attachment 315382

It was so good! All I can say is that i'm so glad that I don't have one of these near me!

We did some shopping and drove back to SSR. Harper and I enjoyed some more popcorn and then we got in our respective beds and went to sleep.

View attachment 315383
OMG, We're gluten free, too, and I was literally just CRAVING a donut, and then saw this. They look soooo delicious. It might be worth a trip just for that!! Loving your report!!

Spash007

I can't blame Harper for the Little Mermaid show - some 20+ years ago I was absolutely terrified of it. I think it had something to do with how big Ursula appeared. Before that show I was fine with Ursula. Afterwards, anything with Ursula on it became my worst nightmare. Including a very odd window cling-on for Easter that showed Ursula holding Easter Eggs (the 90's right?)

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
OMG, We're gluten free, too, and I was literally just CRAVING a donut, and then saw this. They look soooo delicious. It might be worth a trip just for that!! Loving your report!!

It was delicious! There was SO much that I wanted that it was hard to pick. There was another woman in there that had celiac and we were geeking out over being able to buy GF baked goods!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I can't blame Harper for the Little Mermaid show - some 20+ years ago I was absolutely terrified of it. I think it had something to do with how big Ursula appeared. Before that show I was fine with Ursula. Afterwards, anything with Ursula on it became my worst nightmare. Including a very odd window cling-on for Easter that showed Ursula holding Easter Eggs (the 90's right?)

hahaha awww! Harper is pretty much scared of all the villians, but she really hates Ursula! She fretted about seeing her the entire show!

Dinner was okay. We sat outside and rain was threatening again and frankly, Harper was being a bear. Everyone was mean. She wasn't listening and wasn't really eating. I ate maybe half of my dinner. Something about the heat was just killing my appetite.

We wondered around a bit and then stumbled upon Erin Mckenna's bakery. I wasn't prepared for what I found inside:

View attachment 315381

Everything in this bakery was gluten free. Everything! I was dying of excitement. As soon as I laid eyes on that Samoa donut, I knew that I needed it. My mom got a chocolate muffin of some kind.

View attachment 315382

It was so good! All I can say is that i'm so glad that I don't have one of these near me!

We did some shopping and drove back to SSR. Harper and I enjoyed some more popcorn and then we got in our respective beds and went to sleep.

View attachment 315383

Those donuts look good. How was the gluten free food at WDW? I am considering it for my upcoming trip along with dairy free. ... Harper is still a cutie :inlove:

epcotisbest

Finally getting the chance to read along. This is a great trip report. I think trip reports that feature lots of photos of the people in the trip report make for the most fun reads. I will admit I panicked a bit when I saw that pic on the first page when it looked like a giraffe had stuck its head in the car and swallowed your little girls arm till I looked closer and realized it was a puppet on her arm and not a giraffe's mouth. Again I plead old age.

riverside

Premium Member
Harper had a blast!! I thought it was really cute too as I’ve actually never seen it before. At the end when the “snow” came down, harper was in heaven and I snapped the greatest picture. How freakin’ sweet!
Love it!!
I got the gluten free meatloaf,
My mom had a gluten free chicken pot pie there. She said it was one of the best gluten free meals she has ever had anywhere!!
Everything in this bakery was gluten free.
My mom said anything she has had there has been great. If I go to Disney Springs I try to go at the end of my trip so I can bring her something back while it's still fresh. I've tried a few things there & have enjoyed it also!!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Those donuts look good. How was the gluten free food at WDW? I am considering it for my upcoming trip along with dairy free. ... Harper is still a cutie :inlove:

I think the food is fine. Nothing extremely over the top awesome, but the sandwich I got at our resort with the gluten free bread was so good I got it a second time while we were there!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Finally getting the chance to read along. This is a great trip report. I think trip reports that feature lots of photos of the people in the trip report make for the most fun reads. I will admit I panicked a bit when I saw that pic on the first page when it looked like a giraffe had stuck its head in the car and swallowed your little girls arm till I looked closer and realized it was a puppet on her arm and not a giraffe's mouth. Again I plead old age.

Thank you so much!! I sometimes feel like I write far too much detail, and post too many pictures of ourselves, but a lot of times these trip reports are for me as much as every one else! When I get the disney depression, I go back and read my reports again, so that's why I put so much detail into them!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
9/12 Animal Kingdom!
This was the first morning that we had a little time to play with in the morning before heading to Animal kingdom. I offered to take Harper to the pool, but only and ONLY if she promised to leave when I told her we had to go. She assured she she’d listen to me, so I suited her up and we headed down to the kiddie splash pad, which seemed to be open a good bit earlier than the pool. First order of business was to get some coffee in my cup, and then I was a happy girl. It was a gorgeous morning. Harper had just about an hour to play. We had to be in that car at 10:40, so I planned on leaving the pool at 10:15.

IMG_20180912_095148 (1).jpg

She played and swam her little heart out. Ran all around the splash pad and I happily sipped on my coffee (even if I was already sweating!!). When they opened the big pool, Harper wanted to go over there, so I told her we could, but she needed to stay in the shallow end because I was not in my bathing suit. She listened very well, and when the time came for us to leave, she gave no fight. I was so glad that she listened well and I didn’t have to fight with her!

IMG_20180912_094817.jpg

IMG_20180912_094833.jpg

IMG_20180912_100243.jpg

IMG_20180912_100439.jpg

We drove over to AK with zero issues. It was HOT and sunny today. I tried to find a hat outside of the park, but didn’t find anything so we kept moving. After a bathroom break, and filling our hydroflasks, we were set off to PANDORA!

IMG_20180912_113059.jpg

IMG_20180912_120018.jpg

I was pretty excited about seeing this land and it was pretty amazing. Everything was just so well done. Again, the theming here was just out of this world.

IMG_20180912_120955.jpg

My mom and Harper had a FP for the Navi river while my step dad and I waited in the shade. Harper didn’t seem super phased when she got off. I guess it was cool ?

IMG_20180912_121031.jpg

IMG_20180912_121050.jpg

gobstoper27

9/9 MK Cont’d

Before making our way over to 7DMT, the ride I was so anxious to see if Harper would ride, I stopped at a Joffrey’s stand for an iced pumpkin coffee while the rest of the party when to Auntie Gravities for some ice cream. The pumpkin coffee was not that good. While at Aunite’s, Harper managed to drop TWO cups of ice cream on the ground and I could see the sleepiness taking over but no! We still need to get to 7DMT! We had watched countless online POV videos of 7DMT so that Harper would be prepared, but everyone was pretty sure that she wouldn’t do it.

View attachment 314786

We made our way through the line, and as it got darker inside, the “I’m scared!” started. I desperately wanted her to get on this with me, so I just kept telling her that she was fine, and it wasn’t scary. I was prepared to bail if absolutely necessary. We were next and one more “I’m scared!” came out, but she got in and we buckled in without a problem. Luckily the train took off very quickly and there wasn’t much time to sit and fret. She held my hand the entire ride, and never made a peep.
What do you think? What she scared?
View attachment 314787

The ride ended and she was very quiet and then piped up with "That wasn't scary!!!!" :)

She really wanted to go to Dumbo after that and we ended up walking on 3 times in a row.

View attachment 314788

View attachment 314789

After the 2nd time, I was done, so she convinced her Pappy to get on with her!

View attachment 314790

From there, I told her we could check out the store in the big circus tent and she could get a toy for being so brave and riding mine train. However, after 20 minutes of being in there and still being empty handed, I told her it was time to go and to pick a toy. "YOU'RE MEAN!!!!" she yelled at me walking out of the store ahead of me. She didn't even try to pick anything else. haha.

From here we decided that we were done for the day. Being all the way at the back of the park, we decided to take the train to the front of the park. Harper and I enjoyed some left over muffins from breakfast while we waited for the train.

View attachment 314791

Next: A relaxing afternoon/evening at SSR.
Harper is so precious..I mean I can't get over how photogenic she is!! Your pictures are really good!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom