Trip Report "You're mean!" & "I'm scared!!" - The Theme of our 2018 Trip.

Well, we're back. Another Disney trip is in the books.
We just got back from Disney at 2am, and i'm getting this thing rolling now while it's all fresh in my mind.

Without further delay....

Thursday 9/6 - Departure Day
I had worked all day and left work promptly at 5pm. My mom had picked Harper up from Daycare, so all I needed to do was head home. The van was already packed and ready to go. Surprisingly after only 10- 15 minutes, we were buckling ourselves into the van and heading on our way right before 6pm!

IMG_20180906_172540.jpg

The drive was pretty uneventful. I had noticed pretty soon into the trip I was getting a pretty bad headache but I tried to ignore it. About 7:45-8pm, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for dinner. Harper was having a blast walking around looking at all the stuff in the lobby. When they called "Lucabaugh, Party of 4!" Harper piped up and said "Where's the party at??" I had to laugh. I looked at her and said "We ARE the party!"

Service was SLOWWWWW tonight. I ended up just getting breakfast and some pumpkin coffee that they had on the menu. It was a pretty long stop, but Harper was pretty good while we were there. She wanted a few things in the gift shop but we assured her she'd get much cooler stuff in Disney. Thus started the "You're MEAN!!!" comments that continued pretty much hourly after that for the remainder of the trip. Ah, 4 year olds!

IMG_20180906_195122_1.jpg

We got back on the road and were headed to our hotel in Hillsville, VA. It was only moments after being in the car after dinner that I started to feel pretty bad. My stomach wasn't feeling awesome and I was instantly transformed into a nervous wreck. I have a bit of a phobia of being sick. Being sick on a very very long car ride towards vacation would be even worse. Quickly I had worked myself into a full panic. We had to stop before we even got on the interstate, and then again about 10 minutes later where things were REALLY bad. It was so odd. I don't get car sick, but it was like the minute we got on the road in the dark, I started to feel extremely sick. After the second pit stop, I asked if I could drive the rest of the way. After some tums, ginger ale, and driving, I started to come around a bit.

We ended up stopping at the Hampton somewhat late and got in the room around 1 am, I believe. I was still very iffy stomach wise, and just a mess. I didn't sleep a wink that first night because the coffee had kicked in and coupled with my anxiety, I just couldn't get my brain to turn off. Not helping was that Harper and I had to share a bed. Eventually at some point I drifted off and got a few hours of sleep.

Up next: Will I feel any better tomorrow for the 2nd leg of our trip??

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
9/10 Rest Day – Evening in Magic Kingdom!

Getting to the castle for the Fireworks was tricky as always. The hub area was literally swarming with people and it was unreal. We ended up watching just in front of the Sleepy Hollow treats place and it’s fine, but you’re really just looking at the side of the castle. I felt like we missed a lot the fireworks and stuff, but at least we weren’t crammed in like sardines.

IMG_20180910_203828.jpg

IMG_20180910_203453.jpg

IMG_20180910_204749.jpg

Guess who was scared? You got it! She isn’t a fan of fireworks, but Pappy was holding her, so she managed to make it through the show. I took a MILLION shots of the castle, because I just couldn’t help myself!

After that was over, was the projection show so we moved front and center for that. Half way through I realized I was leaning on the trash can and the stench coming from it was pretty gross. Right at the end, someone proposed and the whole crowd was clapping.

IMG_20180910_211414.jpg

IMG_20180910_211525.jpg

On the way out of the park we tried several times to get Harper to go to the bathroom and she refused. We told her the bus lines were long and there would be no bathrooms.

IMG_20180910_211606.jpg

IMG_20180910_212838.jpg

When we got to our bus stop, It was obvious it was taking probably 3 buses until we were headed back. After the first 20 minutes, guess who had to use the bathroom? Yep. *sigh*. We had to trek all the way out of the bus line and allllll the way over to the bathroom. We got back and looked like we missed two buses, but did get on one shortly after.
Back to the room and I’m pretty sure we went right to bed.

Next up: Will threatening storms keep us from riding Slinky Dog??

MySmallWorldof4

Well, we're back. Another Disney trip is in the books.
We just got back from Disney at 2am, and i'm getting this thing rolling now while it's all fresh in my mind.

Without further delay....

Thursday 9/6 - Departure Day
I had worked all day and left work promptly at 5pm. My mom had picked Harper up from Daycare, so all I needed to do was head home. The van was already packed and ready to go. Surprisingly after only 10- 15 minutes, we were buckling ourselves into the van and heading on our way right before 6pm!

View attachment 314027

The drive was pretty uneventful. I had noticed pretty soon into the trip I was getting a pretty bad headache but I tried to ignore it. About 7:45-8pm, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for dinner. Harper was having a blast walking around looking at all the stuff in the lobby. When they called "Lucabaugh, Party of 4!" Harper piped up and said "Where's the party at??" I had to laugh. I looked at her and said "We ARE the party!"

Service was SLOWWWWW tonight. I ended up just getting breakfast and some pumpkin coffee that they had on the menu. It was a pretty long stop, but Harper was pretty good while we were there. She wanted a few things in the gift shop but we assured her she'd get much cooler stuff in Disney. Thus started the "You're MEAN!!!" comments that continued pretty much hourly after that for the remainder of the trip. Ah, 4 year olds!

View attachment 314028

We got back on the road and were headed to our hotel in Hillsville, VA. It was only moments after being in the car after dinner that I started to feel pretty bad. My stomach wasn't feeling awesome and I was instantly transformed into a nervous wreck. I have a bit of a phobia of being sick. Being sick on a very very long car ride towards vacation would be even worse. Quickly I had worked myself into a full panic. We had to stop before we even got on the interstate, and then again about 10 minutes later where things were REALLY bad. It was so odd. I don't get car sick, but it was like the minute we got on the road in the dark, I started to feel extremely sick. After the second pit stop, I asked if I could drive the rest of the way. After some tums, ginger ale, and driving, I started to come around a bit.

We ended up stopping at the Hampton somewhat late and got in the room around 1 am, I believe. I was still very iffy stomach wise, and just a mess. I didn't sleep a wink that first night because the coffee had kicked in and coupled with my anxiety, I just couldn't get my brain to turn off. Not helping was that Harper and I had to share a bed. Eventually at some point I drifted off and got a few hours of sleep.

Up next: Will I feel any better tomorrow for the 2nd leg of our trip??
Sorry about the rough start of your trip. You were going to Disney, so I will assume it got better. Looking forward to reading the rest.:)

MySmallWorldof4

Day 2 - Continued!
From Lazy 5, the drive was pretty uneventful. I think Harper took a small nap in the car, and eventually were in South Carolina! We decided to stop for lunch and I was little apprehensive about my stomach, but was started to get hungry. We stopped at this little sports place called Pippa's and I got the cobb salad. The place, however, was FULL, so we ended up sitting outside and got our first real dose of heat. Sitting at the table, sweat was just running off of me. I didn't even really want to eat, but did manage to test out my stomach with half the salad. It was really really good!
View attachment 314044

Back into the car we went, and continued on our drive. We caught some really pretty skies going into GA!
View attachment 314045

We finally were in Florida!!! I don't remember what time it was, but I remember driving through Jacksonville in the dark, so it was after 8pm. We were starting to get hungry, and decided to stop at a Steak and Shake for dinner. I've never been to one!

This was a quick stop, which we were all glad for. We were just ready to be in for the night. We did really stretch the drive down out really really long, but I was super excited about seeing Daytona Beach, as i've never been!

My step dad and Harper shared a banana shake that was AWESOME. Harper loved it.
View attachment 314046

View attachment 314047

Back on the road, it didn't take long before we were pulling into our hotel at Daytona! We walked out on our balcony to listen to the waves, but we were all beat and it was time for bed. I slept much much better this evening and woke up excited to see the beach. The beach is one of my favorite places, and I hadn't been in a long time.

Up Next: A hot morning in the pool in Daytona!
Harper is so cute! Beautiful pic of her with your step-dad.:)

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
9/11- DHS Day!
We got to sleep in a little this morning, but I did set an alarm to make sure I was up and ready to go. Getting Harper up and ready every morning was a bit of a challenge. She doesn’t wake up well.

Once parked and in the park, my step dad and I decided to stop in Starbucks since we weren’t in a rush and needed more coffee. Holy. Cow. This place was slammed! I really wanted something cold, but almost considered just a regular cup so that I didn’t have to stand there with 30 other people and wait for my drink. I ended up waiting but not too long, and we got back out on the way to TSL!
IMG_20180911_103823.jpg

My mom and Harper had a FP for Aliens and we were all anxious to see the new park. Our Slinky Dog FP wasn’t until 6 PM! (that was the only time we could get) and I was nervous that we wouldn’t make it that long in DHS as it’s not really (to me) an all day park. Slinky dog was my really ONLY big interest.

Off we went! It was very very hot this day, and I remember being in TSL, and the lack of shade is concerning. They did have a few umbrellas propped up but of course they were mobbed already. Mom and Harps headed towards aliens, and I sipped my coffee in the blistering sun. I thought I’d see them get on, but completely missed them.
IMG_20180911_105448.jpg

IMG_20180911_105514.jpg

IMG_20180911_105611.jpg

IMG_20180911_110101.jpg

After they were done, we left the land of no shade for our next FP but we were early, so we stopped in One Man’s Dream to enjoy some time in the AC before we headed to the Frozen singalong.

IMG_20180911_111757.jpg

IMG_20180911_120024.jpg

IMG_20180911_125807.jpg

Harper had a blast!! I thought it was really cute too as I’ve actually never seen it before. At the end when the “snow” came down, harper was in heaven and I snapped the greatest picture. How freakin’ sweet!

IMG_20180911_125810.jpg

Next: Lunch at a place i've never been!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Lunch next, and I was excited! I’ve never been to 50’s Prime Time and couldn’t wait to see it. I loved it! The theming was top notch in my opinion! Our waitress was OK. The table next to us seemed to have a better one. I got the gluten free meatloaf, and ate every bite, but I didn’t get my clean plate sticker that the other waitress was giving out. For dessert, I got the cheesecake and it was WONDERFUL, but it was so rich there was no way I’d be able to eat it all, so I gave up halfway through.

IMG_20180911_140541.jpg

We did the Little Mermaid show next, which is another thing I’ve never done. Harper of course was scared through almost the entire thing, but did have a nice laugh at the oversize Max (dog) at the end!

IMG_20180911_144551_1.jpg

We had a FP next for star tours, but not for awhile, and Harper had spotted Sofia so we went and got in line. We met Sofia, Jake, Pluto and Doc McStuffins. These characters are kind of weird because Harper knows they talk on the shows. She seemed kind of weirded out that they weren’t talking and she just kind of stood there. haha.

IMG_20180911_145911.jpg

IMG_20180911_150714.jpg

IMG_20180911_151538.jpg

IMG_20180911_152126.jpg

Star tours was next. Harper had a FP for this, but given the fact that the kid was scared of the little mermaid show, we decided to just have her skip it. Instead, she enjoyed the Jedi show outside while we went.

IMG_20180911_154921.jpg

After that we did the Muppet 3D show which I think Harper liked as well!

IMG_20180911_160743.jpg

IMG_20180911_161425.jpg

Next: ToT, Beauty and the Beast, and and awesome popcorn bucket!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
9/11- DHS Day!
From Star Tours, we tracked back through the park to see the Beauty and the Beast show at 5pm! BaTB is my favorite, so I was really glad we were going to see it. Believe it or not, it’s another thing I’ve never done before! I was blown away how big the seating area was! I ended up loving it. It was one of my favorite things in the week.

IMG_20180911_172327.jpg

The only FP we had left was Slinky dog at 6:25, so we had some time. The stand by for ToT was only 10 minutes, so I asked my parents if they’d watch Harper so I could get on it. I walked right on. I always forget how much I love it until I get on it again. Unfortunately, no picture showed up in my account. Boo!

IMG_20180911_172944.jpg

I tried to ride again, but it had broken down so I got out of line. It was now time for Slinky Dog, but the skies were ominous. We hurried over and found that the ride was DOWN! I was very upset. We had been in the park the entire day and this was the ONE thing I was excited about above all else. It wasn’t raining, or doing anything that we could see but the CM’s said it was because of lightening up to 6 miles away. My mom was ready to leave, but I was not giving up on this ride just yet. I asked to wait a few more minutes, and I ended up taking Harper to the bathroom. While washing our hands, my mom came in and told me it was back up, so I ran off leaving them in the dust. I’m so glad we waited it out and didn’t just leave.

We got in the FP line and the skies looked a bit worse. I was nervous the entire walk that they were going to shut it down again while we were in line, but luckily we found ourselves getting on, and I knew we were safe! We got the very last seat in the back! let me just say, I LOVED IT. Very smooth, fast, and longer ( I think) than 7DMT. It was definitely worth the wait! However, again, no picture showed up in our account for this either.

IMG_20180911_183917.jpg

IMG_20180911_184805.jpg

After riding Slinky Dog, I was happy and ready to go. But first, I had two things I had to have:

IMG_20180911_185909.jpg

IMG_20180911_190234.jpg

What is it about Disney popcorn that it just tastes better than popcorn ANYWHERE else? My parents actually bought this for me, and Harper, John (my step dad) and I started devouring this popcorn and kept eating all the way to the car. Harper and I had a nightly routine of snacking on this popcorn in bed every night after this. I meant to take it back to the parks to refill it, but just couldn't bear the idea of dragging it back into the park with us. Just one more thing to keep track of.

Snagged this shot leaving the park:

IMG_20180911_190127.jpg

We decided since Harper was somehow STILL awake, we'd just drive from DHS over to Disney Springs for dinner at Cookes of Dublin.

Disney Springs has REALLY changed since I've been there. WOW!

IMG_20180911_193350.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180911_172944.jpg
    IMG_20180911_172944.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 32

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Dinner was okay. We sat outside and rain was threatening again and frankly, Harper was being a bear. Everyone was mean. She wasn't listening and wasn't really eating. I ate maybe half of my dinner. Something about the heat was just killing my appetite.

We wondered around a bit and then stumbled upon Erin Mckenna's bakery. I wasn't prepared for what I found inside:

IMG_20180911_202443.jpg

Everything in this bakery was gluten free. Everything! I was dying of excitement. As soon as I laid eyes on that Samoa donut, I knew that I needed it. My mom got a chocolate muffin of some kind.

IMG_20180911_202722.jpg

It was so good! All I can say is that i'm so glad that I don't have one of these near me!

We did some shopping and drove back to SSR. Harper and I enjoyed some more popcorn and then we got in our respective beds and went to sleep.

IMG_20180911_222915.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom