Trip Report "You're mean!" & "I'm scared!!" - The Theme of our 2018 Trip.

Well, we're back. Another Disney trip is in the books.
We just got back from Disney at 2am, and i'm getting this thing rolling now while it's all fresh in my mind.

Without further delay....

Thursday 9/6 - Departure Day
I had worked all day and left work promptly at 5pm. My mom had picked Harper up from Daycare, so all I needed to do was head home. The van was already packed and ready to go. Surprisingly after only 10- 15 minutes, we were buckling ourselves into the van and heading on our way right before 6pm!

IMG_20180906_172540.jpg

The drive was pretty uneventful. I had noticed pretty soon into the trip I was getting a pretty bad headache but I tried to ignore it. About 7:45-8pm, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for dinner. Harper was having a blast walking around looking at all the stuff in the lobby. When they called "Lucabaugh, Party of 4!" Harper piped up and said "Where's the party at??" I had to laugh. I looked at her and said "We ARE the party!"

Service was SLOWWWWW tonight. I ended up just getting breakfast and some pumpkin coffee that they had on the menu. It was a pretty long stop, but Harper was pretty good while we were there. She wanted a few things in the gift shop but we assured her she'd get much cooler stuff in Disney. Thus started the "You're MEAN!!!" comments that continued pretty much hourly after that for the remainder of the trip. Ah, 4 year olds!

IMG_20180906_195122_1.jpg

We got back on the road and were headed to our hotel in Hillsville, VA. It was only moments after being in the car after dinner that I started to feel pretty bad. My stomach wasn't feeling awesome and I was instantly transformed into a nervous wreck. I have a bit of a phobia of being sick. Being sick on a very very long car ride towards vacation would be even worse. Quickly I had worked myself into a full panic. We had to stop before we even got on the interstate, and then again about 10 minutes later where things were REALLY bad. It was so odd. I don't get car sick, but it was like the minute we got on the road in the dark, I started to feel extremely sick. After the second pit stop, I asked if I could drive the rest of the way. After some tums, ginger ale, and driving, I started to come around a bit.

We ended up stopping at the Hampton somewhat late and got in the room around 1 am, I believe. I was still very iffy stomach wise, and just a mess. I didn't sleep a wink that first night because the coffee had kicked in and coupled with my anxiety, I just couldn't get my brain to turn off. Not helping was that Harper and I had to share a bed. Eventually at some point I drifted off and got a few hours of sleep.

Up next: Will I feel any better tomorrow for the 2nd leg of our trip??

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Friday 9/7 - Second day of the trip. Hillsville, VA --- Daytona Beach, FL.
We woke up the next morning and I felt exhausted. My stomach was still not in good shape, but it was better than it was the night before. We all got showers and headed down for some free breakfast before we got back on the road. After grabbing some coffee, I tried to eat, but I couldn't. I was still nauseous and unsettled. Also not helping was I was having major anxiety about getting back in the car and was so worried I was going to have this odd car sickness that I had last night. I drive as a passenger in the car all the time and have never had issues, so it was just so odd for me! We got all packed and got back in the van, as we took off, I took a deep breath hoping that I wasn't going to have any issues in the car. Much to my relief, after 10 minutes I was feeling fine. Once the anxiety wore off, the ride went pretty smooth from there.
IMG_20180907_084703.jpg

We were taking a small detour today in Mooresville, NC at Lazy 5 Ranch to feed animals! We weren't sure how Harper would do with this because she is a very hesitant child. We figured we'd give it a shot and see how it went.

IMG_20180907_091223.jpg

We got to Lazy 5 around 12pm and used the bathrooms before we started our drive through. We bought 5 buckets of food before we started. I will admit I was a little unsure about huge animal heads coming in the window at me, and Harper ended up doing better than I did!

IMG_20180907_105622.jpg

IMG_20180907_111337.jpg

We saw: deer, baby pigs, emu's (or Ostrich's), alpaca, goats, buffalo, and zebras! All kind of animals! They come right up to the car and know that you have food. Sometimes some of the bigger ones will literally try to rip the buckets of food from your hands so you have to be careful!
They also have giraffes! You can't feed them, but we did drive up and see them!
IMG_20180907_114619.jpg

IMG_20180907_120313.jpg

IMG_20180907_112726.jpg

All in all, we spent about an hour driving around this place and Harper ended up having a blast. A lot of the animals ate right out of your hand. You also had to be super careful not to run over the baby pigs! They would walk right under the car and they were TINY!

From there, we traversed the 30 minutes of back roads to get back on the roads!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Day 2 - Continued!
From Lazy 5, the drive was pretty uneventful. I think Harper took a small nap in the car, and eventually were in South Carolina! We decided to stop for lunch and I was little apprehensive about my stomach, but was started to get hungry. We stopped at this little sports place called Pippa's and I got the cobb salad. The place, however, was FULL, so we ended up sitting outside and got our first real dose of heat. Sitting at the table, sweat was just running off of me. I didn't even really want to eat, but did manage to test out my stomach with half the salad. It was really really good!
IMG_20180907_133547.jpg

Back into the car we went, and continued on our drive. We caught some really pretty skies going into GA!
IMG_20180907_193349.jpg

We finally were in Florida!!! I don't remember what time it was, but I remember driving through Jacksonville in the dark, so it was after 8pm. We were starting to get hungry, and decided to stop at a Steak and Shake for dinner. I've never been to one!

This was a quick stop, which we were all glad for. We were just ready to be in for the night. We did really stretch the drive down out really really long, but I was super excited about seeing Daytona Beach, as i've never been!

My step dad and Harper shared a banana shake that was AWESOME. Harper loved it.
IMG_20180907_210800_695.jpg

IMG_20180907_201724.jpg

Back on the road, it didn't take long before we were pulling into our hotel at Daytona! We walked out on our balcony to listen to the waves, but we were all beat and it was time for bed. I slept much much better this evening and woke up excited to see the beach. The beach is one of my favorite places, and I hadn't been in a long time.

Up Next: A hot morning in the pool in Daytona!

winstongator

Friday 9/7 - Second day of the trip. Hillsville, VA --- Daytona Beach, FL.
We woke up the next morning and I felt exhausted. My stomach was still not in good shape, but it was better than it was the night before. We all got showers and headed down for some free breakfast before we got back on the road. After grabbing some coffee, I tried to eat, but I couldn't. I was still nauseous and unsettled. Also not helping was I was having major anxiety about getting back in the car and was so worried I was going to have this odd car sickness that I had last night. I drive as a passenger in the car all the time and have never had issues, so it was just so odd for me! We got all packed and got back in the van, as we took off, I took a deep breath hoping that I wasn't going to have any issues in the car. Much to my relief, after 10 minutes I was feeling fine. Once the anxiety wore off, the ride went pretty smooth from there.
View attachment 314029

We were taking a small detour today in Mooresville, NC at Lazy 5 Ranch to feed animals! We weren't sure how Harper would do with this because she is a very hesitant child. We figured we'd give it a shot and see how it went.

View attachment 314030

We got to Lazy 5 around 12pm and used the bathrooms before we started our drive through. We bought 5 buckets of food before we started. I will admit I was a little unsure about huge animal heads coming in the window at me, and Harper ended up doing better than I did!

View attachment 314033
View attachment 314034

We saw: deer, baby pigs, emu's (or Ostrich's), alpaca, goats, buffalo, and zebras! All kind of animals! They come right up to the car and know that you have food. Sometimes some of the bigger ones will literally try to rip the buckets of food from your hands so you have to be careful!
They also have giraffes! You can't feed them, but we did drive up and see them!
View attachment 314038
View attachment 314042
View attachment 314043

All in all, we spent about an hour driving around this place and Harper ended up having a blast. A lot of the animals ate right out of your hand. You also had to be super careful not to run over the baby pigs! They would walk right under the car and they were TINY!

From there, we traversed the 30 minutes of back roads to get back on the roads!
My kids did lazy 5 when we lived in NC. They loved it! Glad you enjoyed it.

PacNWTigger

I hope your tummy troubles get better. I get the same kind of anxiety about getting sick (especially in the car), so I always take a Dramamine before travelling. Chewing gum also seems to help for some reason or another.
Definitely following along!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom