Your thoughts on Mama Melrose's

MillerPoppins

We ate there last October and really enjoyed our meal. Although my best friend has this as a Must Do every time she is down, we never ate there. We gave it a shot and were pleasantly surprised. Tim and I shared the Clams Oregantta which was fantastic. Then I had the Shrimp Pipette, which I really enjoyed, and Tim had the Wood Fired Tuna, which was fantastic! Our desserts were also nice but I'm not a huge dessert person. Would definitely go back!

EvilQueen-T

we booked a dinner there in december 09. we went with a mixed group of eaters and it seemed like one of those places that everybody could find something they could live with and it was a good meal. no one complained. the meal wasn't over the top but it was on par with most moderate chain places like applebees, chili's, carabbas those sort of places. for inside dhs it's one of the better places to eat. for us we prefer to head over to the boardwalk area or sometimes even dtd to eat dinner on our dhs day(s)

slappy magoo

I thought the food was on par with Olive Garden. Not to say that Olive Garden isn't good, in fact I quite like it, but I'd prefer something a little more unique when I'm on vacation.

Fair comparison, I think. I happen to live in area (and work in another area) where you can't whip your mouse ears off your head without hitting one or more really good "authentic" Italian restaurants. As a result, while MM certainly isn't inedible, it never rises above a chain Italian eatery like Olive Garden or even a Sbarro. You won't retch, and depending on your access to more traditional Eye-Tie eateries you may like it quite a bit.

Aurora&Phillip

I had seen so many negative reviews of MM before my last trip in April but was pleasantly surprised. The calamari was excellent! The breading was just right, they melted right in your mouth. BF who doesn't normally eat calamari, was devouring it! We had penne vodka and chicken parm, both were also delicious. Cannot wait to go back in October.

Also been to Sci-Fi, food is OK, it is more about the atmosphere and Hollywood and Vine, which is a great buffet option.

Iteachwood

Food not bad but several times we were there the service was sooooooo slowwwww!!!!!....Like 20 min just to being soup or what felt like hour waiting for check!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Completely reminiscent of The Olive Garden- the biggest issue I had is way too much salt.

It's a better dinner place than Sci-Fi, though (not that that's saying much).

lighteningqueen

What is Shrimp Pippette.. Do they just have plain old spaghetti??? Without meatballs??? I booked this but it is weird Italian food. usually places have lasagna, spaghetti, ravioli etc

Zummi Gummi

What is Shrimp Pippette.. Do they just have plain old spaghetti??? Without meatballs??? I booked this but it is weird Italian food. usually places have lasagna, spaghetti, ravioli etc

Here's the lunch/dinner menu. They have a penne with vodka and a ravioli.

I don't see plain old spaghetti and sauce on there, but I would bet my house that if you asked for it, they would make it for you. It's not exactly a tough dish to make, and it's on the children's menu.

CaptainJackNO

In my mind, Hollywood Studios as always been associated with low quality "Americanized" food. That was until I found Mama Melrose's...

We decided to give it a shot (considering the amount of negative or neutral reviews found on-line) during our may 2011 trip and we we're pleasantly surprise to say the least

I had the 4 cheese pasta, and the rest of my table had : margarita pizza, chicken flatbred and romanoff vodka and tomato pasta.

We tried a little bit of each other's meal and I gotta say everything was VERY good.

The décor/atmosphere is nice, the open kitchen is very cool, the staff is very friendly and the food is tremendous...

What do you guys think?

It is a nice, spacious restaurant with good food. It is nice to eat here because it is unlike every other restaurant in Hollywood Studios, spacious and not too crowded. I think the food is good, best in that particular theme park. The wood fired pizzas are nice. We love the un-theme park atmosphere. It looks like, on the interior, a restaurant you could visit in your town.

Testtrack321

The consistency of quality seems to vary wildly, I heard reports of "great" to "this is garbage" all the time, but when I've gone I've always had a fine meal. As long as you keep it simple and don't expect an Epcot quality food experience you end up happy.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Very very average. The Olive Garden of Disney (unless you love Olive Garden...then it's great)

How can you even compare the two? Olive gardens full out mush pasta and black lettuce leaves with preggo sauce vs everything cooked properly. LOL. Thanks for the laugh.

Mama Melrose just underwent a fairly big lead chef change a few months back. Several things on the menu have now changed as a result. We usually eat there 2-3 times on a 8-10 day trip. It is a must stop for us and has always been "hit" rather than "hit or miss" with a large portion of the restaurants.

WE eat at MM every trip pretty much. We try to eat in the park that we are in that day and MM or 50's iare the only places that really appeal to us. Never have a had a complaint with the food or service at MM. Always been an excellent atmosphere to eat in and the food is also delicious.

And yes, I did notice they changed around the menu a little. Every time I go I would get the Seafood diavallo or however you say it. Best dish ever and now sadly they don't have it.

Figments Friend

-

Thanks for starting this thread, as when i searched a month or so ago for some opinions on 'Mama's place i found a real mixed bag. I was considering trying it this time when next i am in town, but the really mixed reviews put me off a bit.

I am now more seriously considering it. I like trying a few new places each time i visit.

erasure fan1

How does it compare to the other table dining restaurants in DHS?

We have eaten at all of the studios sit down restaurants and I would say its top 2. I guess my order would be,

1. Brown Derby
2. Mama Melrose
3. 50s prime time
4. Hollywood & vine
5. sci-fi

The only place I really dont care for is the Sci-fi drive in, the food was just so meh. We really like MM, its been consistently good each time we have been. Is it the best Italian food ever? No. But I would say its well above average.

Zummi Gummi

The best way to think of Mama Melrose's is this...

It's not as good as the Italian food at either of the Epcot Italian eateries. However, it's much better than the food they peddle on you over at Tony's in the MK.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
-

Thanks for starting this thread, as when i searched a month or so ago for some opinions on 'Mama's place i found a real mixed bag. I was considering trying it this time when next i am in town, but the really mixed reviews put me off a bit.

I am now more seriously considering it. I like trying a few new places each time i visit.

Do it. It is a must eat at establishment anytime and every time we go. When we make our way to Central Florida and not doing any "days" at Disney we still go and eat MM once. We have had to same waiter there every time for ~8 years now. He makes the experience for us and has become a close friend.

Testtrack321

The best way to think of Mama Melrose's is this...

It's not as good as the Italian food at either of the Epcot Italian eateries. However, it's much better than the food they peddle on you over at Tony's in the MK.

You forgot to put quotes around "food" to describe what they have at Tony's at MK. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom