Your suggestions for a first-time DisneyLand Guest

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Hi Everyone!

I am excited, as i have recently booked my FIRST ever trip to CA and will be visiting DisneyLand while out there. I will be visiting May 18th thru the 23rd, and staying off-site on DisneyLand Drive.

As a first-timer to the "original" Disney Park...i would like to hear from the Fan Communtiy about what to expect, and your suggestions for attracions and resturants.

I am a long time regular visitor to WDW, and i am already very aware of how much "smaller" DisneyLand is in comparison. I am more interested in hearing the real fan-tested and favored highlights of both DL and DCA. I will be there for only 2 1/2 days, and already have an idea of what i would like to see there....but am open to hearing from YOU what is regarded by yourself as a "must see" or " must do" from a fan perspective, not nessesarily the "average tourist" view.

I will definately see the Parade of Dreams, "Remember", Toad and all other Dark rides at DL, plus MSEP ( the Disney Electrical Parade as it is called now), Monsters Inc. dark ride and the Block Party bash street party at DCA.

I have also heard excellent things about the "Aladdin" show. Is this still running, or has it closed? Last i heard it was a dinner show....but then i think recently i heard it closed. Can anyone clarify this for me?

A few questions:

I'm not a huge 'thrill ride" fan ( Splash Mountain and WDW's Big Thunder is was "thrilling" as i can get...) so i am curious: Is the Matterhorn very much like Big Thunder? I'd like to try it...but don;'t want to freak myself out!

Is the "Pirates 3" Premiere event at DL that weekend ( May 26/27) or the weekend afte? I don't want to be in town when the massses arrive for that big bash.

Dole Whips: Do they have them at DL? Oh i so hope so.......:slurp:

POTC: Can the regulars to DL describe for me the main differences between the WDW version, and the DL version? Many consider the DL version far superior ( in both layout, multi level rooms, and the recent POTC Movie makeover). My concern is: the drops. I have heard they are much steeper then the WDW version. Drops make me nervous!

Fantasmic: Is it really better then WDW's version? I'm not overly keen on the one i have seen there, so maybe the DL version can redeem the show in my mind.

Roger Rabbit: True or False: He still appears ( as a walkaround character) in the Park.....meet and greets..? I have heard rumours...but would like confirmation. I LOVE Roger and really miss him in FL BADLY! I know his attraction is still there in Toontown at DL, but i would really love to see "him" in person again.

Pin Trading: Any tips on where to go at DL for Pin Trading? I am a serious "Pin Freak" and know the hotspots at WDW, but i'm clueless when it comes to the other coast. Any insight would be awesome!

Okay...that's all the questions i can think of at the moment.

HUGE thanks in advance to those that take the time to respond! Your feedback will help a serious enthusiest of the Parks to make the most of there first trip out to "Walt's Park".

:wave:

Rufus T Firefly

Hi Everyone!

I am excited, as i have recently booked my FIRST ever trip to CA and will be visiting DisneyLand while out there. I will be visiting May 18th thru the 23rd, and staying off-site on DisneyLand Drive.

As a first-timer to the "original" Disney Park...i would like to hear from the Fan Communtiy about what to expect, and your suggestions for attracions and resturants.

I am a long time regular visitor to WDW, and i am already very aware of how much "smaller" DisneyLand is in comparison. I am more interested in hearing the real fan-tested and favored highlights of both DL and DCA. I will be there for only 2 1/2 days, and already have an idea of what i would like to see there....but am open to hearing from YOU what is regarded by yourself as a "must see" or " must do" from a fan perspective, not nessesarily the "average tourist" view.

I will definately see the Parade of Dreams, "Remember", Toad and all other Dark rides at DL, plus MSEP ( the Disney Electrical Parade as it is called now), Monsters Inc. dark ride and the Block Party bash street party at DCA.

I have also heard excellent things about the "Aladdin" show. Is this still running, or has it closed? Last i heard it was a dinner show....but then i think recently i heard it closed. Can anyone clarify this for me?

A few questions:

I'm not a huge 'thrill ride" fan ( Splash Mountain and WDW's Big Thunder is was "thrilling" as i can get...) so i am curious: Is the Matterhorn very much like Big Thunder? I'd like to try it...but don;'t want to freak myself out!

Is the "Pirates 3" Premiere event at DL that weekend ( May 26/27) or the weekend afte? I don't want to be in town when the massses arrive for that big bash.

Dole Whips: Do they have them at DL? Oh i so hope so.......:slurp:

POTC: Can the regulars to DL describe for me the main differences between the WDW version, and the DL version? Many consider the DL version far superior ( in both layout, multi level rooms, and the recent POTC Movie makeover). My concern is: the drops. I have heard they are much steeper then the WDW version. Drops make me nervous!

Fantasmic: Is it really better then WDW's version? I'm not overly keen on the one i have seen there, so maybe the DL version can redeem the show in my mind.

Roger Rabbit: True or False: He still appears ( as a walkaround character) in the Park.....meet and greets..? I have heard rumours...but would like confirmation. I LOVE Roger and really miss him in FL BADLY! I know his attraction is still there in Toontown at DL, but i would really love to see "him" in person again.

Pin Trading: Any tips on where to go at DL for Pin Trading? I am a serious "Pin Freak" and know the hotspots at WDW, but i'm clueless when it comes to the other coast. Any insight would be awesome!

Okay...that's all the questions i can think of at the moment.

HUGE thanks in advance to those that take the time to respond! Your feedback will help a serious enthusiest of the Parks to make the most of there first trip out to "Walt's Park".

:wave:
You are going to have a great time. The Matterhorn is not quite as thrilling as BTMRR (IMO) and very much worth your time.
You have heard correctly about Aladdin, it is a definate must see.
They do have Dole Whips at DL right next to the Tiki Room.
POTC is longer and IMO superior to the MK version.
You may want to splurge and make a reservation for dinner at the Blue Bayou.
I would also suggest trying the DL version of the HM. Many people prefer it over the MK version.
I'm not sure if I should suggest that you try Indy. But, if you can handle BTMRR, you just might enjoy Indy.

Oh, one last suggestion. Enjoy yourself.

Nicole220

Hi! :wave: You're going to have a great time at DL!

Aladdin is still running and is amazing! The genie is hillarious!

The Matterhorn is much more tame than Thunder. It's slower and a lot rougher/bumpier.

POTC is much better at DL. There are more scenes, there's the Bayou, and the sound is better. The drops are not large at all, nothing like Splash Mountain. There's two of them and one is really small. You'll be perfectly fine!

Fantasmic is also much better. The Peter Pan segment blows the Pocahntas one away. I also like the feel of it better because of it's location. EDIT: They are closing TSI down soon, so Fantasmic will stop for a while. So I'm sorry to say that you're going to miss it.

The POTC premiere will be on April 22, so you will miss the crowds that come with that. You are going over the weekend though, and it can get pretty crowded on those days, so try and hit the big things right away in the morning when the lines are shorter.

Yes there are Dole Whips at DL. I just tried one on Wednesday for the first time and fell in love!!

I've never seen Roger Rabbit in DL. He might show up in Toon Town, but I never make it over there. I'd ask when you get there.

Must sees: Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain (some say WDW's is better, but I think otherwise), Haunted Mansion, POTC, Soarin', Matterhorn, Remember, Fantasmic, Parade of Dreams, and the other things that aren't at WDW, or are different there.

I'm not sure, but Finding Nemo might be doing soft openings, and you may catch them if they happen because it opens June 11th.

That's all I can think of right now. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I go to DL all the time! Have a great vacation be open to everything, and enjoy yourself!

svickersart

Aladdin, dont miss it, great show, not a dinner show. About 45 mins, inside comfey air conditioned, no bad seats in the house. I'm with everyone else on Indy, great ride, 1st thing I do when I get there and POTC is right there. Get there at opening, head to Adventureland do Indy, POTC, HM, Splash, and Jungle Cruise within a couple of hours. If you have kids with you I love Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel, its a character dining experience buffet, lots of fun. Matterhorn is the first steel tube roller coaster ever built so its very mellow by todays standards, if you ride BTMRR you will be fine. They did a refurb of Space Mountian and did a great job, nice and smooth, great effects, now they need to do the SM at WDW, rode it in August and I wont ride it again until they update it. Ride the train all the way arouund the park at least once, there are four stations so make sure you make the "Grand Circle Tour" all the way around. I have never seen Roger Rabbit but that doesnt mean hes not out and about, I dont have small kids so we dont hang around toon town much, its worth poking your head in and seeing it but not much for you unless you have smaller kids. POTC is a longer ride, the movie scenes added in are almost the same for both parks, the drops are not bad at all, smaller than splash mountian, I have noticed lately that the back row on some of the boats can have a bit of standing water on the seat, a couple of inch's on a couple of them but I have never considered these drops large, the first ones the biggest and its not that bad at all. I never miss it myself. Blue Bayou I havent eaten at for a few years but its much different than other Disney resteraunts and worth it, We also like the Storyteller cafe at The Grand Californian, more adult oriented, they have a small buffet, adult type food or you can order off the menue, no characters though but nice place. For burgers I always eat at Taste Pilots Grill at Cal Adventure, I love the milk shakes and Country Bear at MK is a good burger place also. As with WDW, get there early and take your time and have fun.
Steve

Nicole220

Oh! I forgot to add: if you get a chance, eat at Napa Rose at the Grand Californian Hotel. The food is a bit pricy, but it is amazing and totally worth every penny! I went for my 16th birthday and in my opinion, it is the best resturant on property!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Great thread, I'm going to be a frist timer there this summer (july), my questions are....is the Snow White Show still there and what are your favorite quick service restaurants and why?

Nicole220

Great thread, I'm going to be a frist timer there this summer (july), my questions are....is the Snow White Show still there and what are your favorite quick service restaurants and why?
No, Snow White is no longer there. The Princess Fantasy Faire is in its place.

My favorite quick service restaurants? I really like Pizza Port's pizza and the chicken sandwich at the Tommorland Terrace. Honestly, I havn't eaten at very many of the restaurants in DL. I like to eat before I get there and save my money for all the wonderful desserts they have!

wbt06, a Dole Whip is a soft serve frozen pineapple dessert. They are amazing! Everyone should try one.
100_1403.JPG

Rufus T Firefly

Bengal BBQ--In Adventureland across from Indy. Decent BBQ, reasonably priced.

Corn Dog Wagon--End of Main St. Best corn dogs I have ever had.

Turkey Leg Carts--Tomorrowland & Frontierland. IMO the best fast food in DL.

Nicole220

Bengal BBQ--In Adventureland across from Indy. Decent BBQ, reasonably priced.

Corn Dog Wagon--End of Main St. Best corn dogs I have ever had.

Turkey Leg Carts--Tomorrowland & Frontierland. IMO the best fast food in DL.
I'll second the corn dogs.:slurp:

Are the turky legs really that good? I can't see why people eat them. It looks like they are eating a person's arm or leg! :hurl:

Captain Hank

Cool thread. I'm also planning my first trip to DL, tentatively for mid to late August. My current plans are 1 day at DL, 1 at DCA and 1 for park-hopping to re-ride favorites. However, depending on various other plans working out, I may add an additional day at DL. I really want to check out all of the "original" attractions and those that are significantly different or non-existant at WDW. My current plans are:

POTC
HM
Indana Jones Adventure
Space Mountain
Matterhorn
IASW
Tiki Room
Jungle Cruise
Nemo Subs
Parade of Dreams
Remember

California Screamin'
Tower of Terror
Monsters Inc.
Block Party Bash & Disney Electrical Parade
Aladdin Musical
Golden Dream
Soarin' (I know WDW's is mainly a direct lift, but after working closely with WDW's Soarin', I'd be interested in the differences)

Of course, this is a non-exclusive list. If time allows, I'd be more than happy to ride just about anything there.

I'm also planning on eating at the Blue Bayou--gotta try this Monte Cristo I've heard so much about.

Have I missed anything? Are there any uniquely "Disneyland" experiences that I really shouldn't miss out on, especially after being so well acquainted with WDW?

mickster

Cool thread. I'm also planning my first trip to DL, tentatively for mid to late August. My current plans are 1 day at DL, 1 at DCA and 1 for park-hopping to re-ride favorites. However, depending on various other plans working out, I may add an additional day at DL. I really want to check out all of the "original" attractions and those that are significantly different or non-existant at WDW. My current plans are:

POTC
HM
Indana Jones Adventure
Space Mountain
Matterhorn
IASW
Tiki Room
Jungle Cruise
Nemo Subs
Parade of Dreams
Remember

California Screamin'
Tower of Terror
Monsters Inc.
Aladdin Musical
Golden Dream
Soarin' (I know WDW's is mainly a direct lift, but after working closely with WDW's Soarin', I'd be interested in the differences)

Of course, this is a non-exclusive list. If time allows, I'd be more than happy to ride just about anything there.

I'm also planning on eating at the Blue Bayou--gotta try this Monte Cristo I've heard so much about.

Have I missed anything? Are there any uniquely "Disneyland" experiences that I really shouldn't miss out on, especially after being so well acquainted with WDW?

Don't expect any differences between the WDW versus DCA version of Soarin'. If anything, the queue is better in the WDW version. The DCA version really has no queue to speak of. Otherwise, they are identical. I personally think you'd be wasting valuable time if you ride Soarin' while you're there, especially if your primary objective is just to make a comparison.

The advice that I always give people who have never been to DL is to spend most, if not all, of your time at that park versus DCA. This is even more the case if you have been to WDW a lot because many of the attractions are ones that already exist at WDW. However, if you just have to go to DCA, here are my recommendations:

See Aladdin if you see nothing else. It is Broadway caliber and well worth it.

Visit A Bug's Land just to take pictures. None of the attractions here are really worth your time, especially if you've already experienced It's Tough to be a Bug at AK. But the look of the place is pretty cool. Make sure you check out the symbols for "men" and "ladies" on the restroom doors and also see if you can find the four-leafed clover.

Do the Monsters, Inc ride.

Don't waste your time with Tower of Terror as it is a very scaled back version of the original.

Don't waste your time at Paradise Pier. All the rides there are like cheesy carnival rides that are probably still making Walt turn over in his grave. The only thing worthwhile in that section is California Screamin' and since you don't like thrill rides it's not worth your time.

Here are some not to be missed things I'd suggest at Disneyland:

Space Mountain - Far, far, far superior to the MK version. There is no contest. Where the one at MK is old, rickety and kind of an embarassment, the DL version is smooth and sleek and still seems "futuristic". Plus the soundtrack adds to it immensely. A definite must!

Indiana Jones - I suppose some would describe this as a "thrill ride" but it's not a roller coaster. It is more like Dinosaur at AK. But there is much more to see and the effects are more elaborate. The queue is amazing!

Disney Gallery - This is an often overlooked spot that is unique to DL. It is just above the POTC and includes drawings and models of DL attractions over the years.

Fantasmic! - Vastly superior to the MGM version. For one thing, you're a lot closer to the "stage" than most people get to be at the MGM version. Plus, it incorporates both ships and is much grander in scope than the MGM one.

POTC - There are two "drops" but those are virtually nothing. They scared me when I was a kid, but now I barely notice them. Everything about this attraction is much better at DL than at WDW, with one exception...the queue. The queue at the DL attraction is pretty much nonexistant. But the attraction itself more than makes up for that.

New Orleans Square - To this day, the best "land" in either of the US MK parks. It's fun to walk around and notice the attention to detail.

Mint Julep Bar - This is in New Orleans Square near the train station. As far as I know, this is the only place in any Disney park where you can get this refreshing, minty soft drink.

One more thing...a few people have recommended the Blue Bayou but I have to be honest and tell you that the food there is nothing to write home about, especially at the prices they charge. The one thing this restaurant has going for it is the ambience. It is set alongside the beginning of the POTC, so you get to watch the boats go by as you eat. That aspect is very cool, but it's not worth paying for a meal there in my opinion.

Have a great time!!

Nicole220

I think you should really check out DCA. You only need a half day to do it, and I really enjoy the park. It's a beautiful park and you can have a lot of fun if you forget about all the bashing it gets.

Go on all the thrill rides: Screamin' is a lot of fun, Soarin' is identical to WDW but still great, ToT is better at DCA in my opinion, Grizzly is fun and you get soaked as opposed to Kali River Rapids, Monsters Inc is ok, the Sun Wheel scares me to death, Maliboomer also scares me but is fun, and Aladdin is an amazing show and the Gene is funny!

Just go and enjoy the park, rides, and short lines!

Skip

Oh, you'll have a great time! I went to Disneyland for 2 and a half days as well... it's just the perfect amount of time to see everything worth-while. Here are a list of some of the attractions you should definately see... :)

Disneyland Park
Adventureland:
  • Indiana Jones Adventure (If you can handle Big Thunder and Splash Mountain, you should be fine on this. It's very similar to Dinosaur at AK.)
  • Jungle Cruise (Unless you hate corny jokes.)
Frontierland:
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (If you can do it at WDW, you should be fine at DLR.)
New Orleans Square:
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (Longer and more elaborate than the WDW version. Don't worry about the drops, you hardly notice them.)
  • Haunted Mansion (More updated and better kept than the WDW version. Different new scenes, too!)
Critter Country:
  • Splash Mountain (In my opinion this beats the one at WDW.)
Fantasyland:
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Just a heck of a lot of fun.)
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds (If you can do Big Thunder, you should be okay on Matterhorn.)
  • it's a small world (Bring earplugs!)
Mickey's Toontown:
  • Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (Wonderfully unique and well-themed.)
Tomorrowland:
  • Space Mountain (To be honest, if you can, try to do this. It's an abseloute blast, and a smooth ride all the way.
  • Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters (Basically an improved version of Space Ranger Spin at WDW.)
  • Star Tours (Identical to the version @ WDW)
Disney's California Adventure
Hollywood Picture's Backlot:
  • Tower of Terror (Slightly scaled back version of the one at WDW, but it does have a few unique surprises.)
  • Monsters Inc. (A nice new dark ride, I enjoyed it.)
  • Muppets (Same as version @ WDW)
The Golden State:
  • Grizzly River Run (Fun ride, much better than Kali at AK.)
  • Soarin` Over California (Identical to the version in WDW.)
a bug's land:
  • it's tough to be a bug! (Identical to version @ WDW)
Paradise Pier:
  • California Screamin` (Except that you aren't much of a thrill ride fan...)
Hope this helped. :)

PS: Blue Bayou is excellent, if you can, try to dine there.

-Skip

mickster

I think you should really check out DCA. You only need a half day to do it, and I really enjoy the park. It's a beautiful park and you can have a lot of fun if you forget about all the bashing it gets.

The fact that this park gets so much bashing should tell you something. It's because it's a lame park. :snore:

Nicole220

The fact that this park gets so much bashing should tell you something. It's because it's a lame park. :snore:
I don't think it's lame, and I know many other people who think the same way. It is a much better park than MGM, and really helped transform the Disneyland Resort into what it is today. My dad's friend is an imagineer and said the reason for putting DCA in is to make the surrounding area better and more resort friendly-I think it did just that. The changes that are proposed to come to DCA sound wonderful and will really help shape it into a better park.

Nicole220

Oh, you'll have a great time! I went to Disneyland for 2 and a half days as well... it's just the perfect amount of time to see everything worth-while. Here are a list of some of the attractions you should definately see... :)

Disneyland Park
Adventureland:
  • Indiana Jones Adventure (If you can handle Big Thunder and Splash Mountain, you should be fine on this. It's very similar to Dinosaur at AK.)
  • Jungle Cruise (Unless you hate corny jokes.)
Frontierland:
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (If you can do it at WDW, you should be fine at DLR.)
New Orleans Square:
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (Longer and more elaborate than the WDW version. Don't worry about the drops, you hardly notice them.)
  • Haunted Mansion (More updated and better kept than the WDW version. Different new scenes, too!)
Critter Country:
  • Splash Mountain (In my opinion this beats the one at WDW.)
Fantasyland:
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Just a heck of a lot of fun.)
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds (If you can do Big Thunder, you should be okay on Matterhorn.)
  • it's a small world (Bring earplugs!)
Mickey's Toontown:
  • Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (Wonderfully unique and well-themed.)
Tomorrowland:
  • Space Mountain (To be honest, if you can, try to do this. It's an abseloute blast, and a smooth ride all the way.
  • Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters (Basically an improved version of Space Ranger Spin at WDW.)
  • Star Tours (Identical to the version @ WDW)
Disney's California Adventure
Hollywood Picture's Backlot:
  • Tower of Terror (Slightly scaled back version of the one at WDW, but it does have a few unique surprises.)
  • Monsters Inc. (A nice new dark ride, I enjoyed it.)
  • Muppets (Same as version @ WDW)
The Golden State:
  • Grizzly River Run (Fun ride, much better than Kali at AK.)
  • Soarin` Over California (Identical to the version in WDW.)
a bug's land:
  • it's tough to be a bug! (Identical to version @ WDW)
Paradise Pier:
  • California Screamin` (Except that you aren't much of a thrill ride fan...)
Hope this helped. :)

PS: Blue Bayou is excellent, if you can, try to dine there.

-Skip
Yay! :sohappy: Someone who thinks that also! I was very bored on the one at WDW...

mickster

I don't think it's lame, and I know many other people who think the same way. It is a much better park than MGM, and really helped transform the Disneyland Resort into what it is today. My dad's friend is an imagineer and said the reason for putting DCA in is to make the surrounding area better and more resort friendly-I think it did just that. The changes that are proposed to come to DCA sound wonderful and will really help shape it into a better park.

I agree with you that the changes in store for DCA do sound great! But I'm not rating this park on what it may someday be. I'm rating it based on what it is now. And unfortunately, right now it's a pretty sad excuse for a theme park. I think that's an almost universal opinion of the park too. Outside of loyal hardcore Disney fans (many of whom also think it's a terrible park) most of the general public has certainly not embraced it the way they have the other Disney parks.

Rufus T Firefly

POTC
HM
Indana Jones Adventure
Space Mountain
Matterhorn
IASW
Tiki Room
Jungle Cruise
Nemo Subs
Parade of Dreams
Remember

California Screamin'
Tower of Terror
Monsters Inc.
Aladdin Musical
Golden Dream

If you are looking for attractions tha are non-existant in WDW you may want to check out:

Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
Alice in Wonderland
Mr Toad (Where else in Disney can you be run over by a train and be sent directly to Hell?)

sponono88

And of course, this is your opinion :wave:

DCA is a fun park. I think everyone should visit and make their own opinion, instead of always listening to the DCA-bashers on the message boards. And btw, you can easily spend a whole day at DCA. I know I did back when it opened in 2001. Just go and have fun, that's the most important thing ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom