Your Family's Personal WDW 'Slang'

PolynesianPrincess

We call Spaceship Earth "God's Golf Ball"
We still sometimes refer to Downtown Disney as Disney Village and DHS will ALWAYS be MGM to us.
We used to call the former Tortuga Tavern "Pirate and Parrot" (the English translation of the old name Pirata y el Perico)
Starring Rolls is the Cupcake Place

SSE_King

My family still calls Hollywood Studios "MGM". Hollywood Studios to me still sounds weird. :hammer:

Also when I was growing up, I used the love the Peoplemover ride and I used to love going through the dark tunnels. I used to call them "darks" for short so I would always call that ride the "Three Darks". Ever since then that's what my family has always called the Peoplemover.

Doombuggy13

My son was very young when we first took him on Big Thunder Mountain. At that time, he was totally engrossed in Thomas The Tank Engine, so he began calling the train "Thomas' Crazy Brother". The name has stuck with the family ever since then we go on Splash and then "Thomas' Crazy Brother'!
We also have a name for Small World:"Nah, not agiain". Also, through our years of park travels, we have devised a way for all of us to know there are slow people ahead. We simply call out "Left Blinker" and the whole family moves to the left to pass. Funny thing is we only do that at Disney, not at local malls or festivals, only on hallowed Disney ground.

Phonedave

My kids first started going during the Happiest Celebration on Earth celebration.

A random times we still refer to anything WDW as HCOE

My 13 y/o insists on calling TTA the People Mover (my fault)

My youngest LOVES ToT, my oldest DESPISES it. When I was a single dad with two young kids it was a case of either bribing my oldest to suck it up for the team and go, or to console my youngest that we would not ride. As we walked around the park, anytime she would catch a glimpse of the tower, she would sadly say, in her small voice "Towa of Tewwor" (she was 4 or 5, just big enough to ride). Sometimes we still refer to it as the "Towa of Tewwor"

They also know The Grande Fiesta Tour as "EL Rio De Queso"

-dave

mep517

Chicken strips are rated in our family based on if they are "Disney Issue." Nothing quite measures up in the *real world* so we're continually on a quest to find Disney Issue Chicken Strips

Dole Whip = Dole Whuup (thanks to a guest with a very prominent accent when I was a CM)

Colugino

It's not really "slang," but I still use old names
- MGM Studios instead of Hollywood Studios
- Alien instead of Stitch's Escape
- Wedway instead of Tomorrowland Transit
- Electric Parade instead of Spectromagic

What was funny was a friend of mine had never been there and I told her about the Electric Parade and Alien and when she got back she was like "I tried finding them, but I guess maybe they aren't there anymore??" I was like "Whoops! Now they are called..."

Weather_Lady

DH and I hated "Stitch's Great Escape" the first and only time we went on it, and we don't want our children to even know of its existence, lest they beg us to take them there. Hence, we refer to it simply as, "The Thing That Shall Not Be Mentioned." I also refer to Cinderella's Castle as "my summer home." ;)

Disneydreamer23

i remembered one not like it matters any more but Snow white we used to call the poop place bc when we went to get into our car there was poop all over the seat and a diaper a parent didnt tell any one so thats what we called it

JiminyandTink

Journey Into Imagination - Figment Ride
Lights, Motors, Action - Car Show
Tomorrowland Speedway - Race Cars
it's tough to be a bug - Bug's Life
Honey I shrunk the Audience - Honey I shrunk the Kids

Misson Space (Orange) - Clausterphobic death trap :)

tl77

My parents are always telling me that when I was little I used to call Mickey Mouse "no nose" but I have absolutely no idea why... and neither do they

And we call anything that changed names by the original name only because we can never remember the new names, so our conversations go like "Hey you want to go to MGM, ....or whatever it is they call it now?" or "You want ride the Weed way? oh wait they don't call it that anymore... what do they it called now? Tomorrow? Transit? ...ohh you know what I mean the Weed Way People Mover" and for about 30 years we thought it was pronounced Weed Way instead of Wed Way, because we're a bunch of nitwits ...and we still say Weed way

And the best one is "oh that's right Horizons is gone now... but what's that thing call that they put in its place? you know that damn thing that spins, what's that thing called?" so Mission Space is "that damn thing that spins"

Chrononymous

A lot of our terms are similar to what others use here. We shorten everything just to make it easier...Pirates, Splash, Treehouse, Carpets, Tikis, Mansion, Thunder...etc...

SSE is always The Ball.

EE is the Yeti.

And we are also so used to referring to the old names of things, that it's sometimes hard to adjust to the new ones. It's still MGM, and Dixie Landings (although Riverside is quietly taking over)

My mom still confuses Great Movie Ride with Star Tours, and uses the latter to refer to the former, which is always frustrating.

My spouse and I refer to all the garbage cans as "Waste Piggies"
because they used to all say "Waste Please" and once, when he read that aloud, I totally misunderstood him. It's become our stupid private joke(even though he hasn't been there since '94)

ellie-badge

Hmm... This is a pretty interesting question!

1. Magic Kingdom

It's not a drastic difference, but my folks and I would call the Swiss Family Treehouse the "Swiss Family Robinson" instead. We simplify The Magic Carpets of Aladdin to just "Aladdin," and we call Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room the "Tiki Birds." The same thing applied while it was Under New Management.

We refer to the Walt Disney Railroad as just simply "the train," Country Bear Jamboree to "Country Bears," and Liberty Square Riverboat as "the boat."

My parents goof often with names, and would call Mickey's PhilharMagic "Mickey's Philharmonic." We also greatly shorten Prince Charming Regal Carrousel to just "the carrousel."

Tomorrowland Speedway to "race cars," Astro Orbiter to "rockets," and we have always referred to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority as "The PeopleMover." You can thank my mother for engraining that name into my head ever since I began visiting.

My parents would also sometimes call Stitch's Great Escape! as just "Lilo & Stitch."

2. Epcot

Spaceship Earth as "The Globe," Universe of Energy as "Ellen, The Circle of Life as "Timon & Pumbaa," Journey Into Imagination as "Figment," and my parents might refer to Captain EO as just "Michael Jackson." I'll likely wind up calling Agent P's World Showcase Adventure as just "Perry the Platypus."

3. Hollywood Studios

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! as "Indy," Star Tours as "Star Wars," Voyage of The Little Mermaid as "Ariel," Disney Junior: Live on Stage! as "Playhouse Disney," and The Magic of Disney Animation as "You wanna draw some characters?" :p

4. Animal Kingdom

We don't go to the park much, but: It's Tough to Be a Bug! as "A Bug's Life," Festival of The Lion King as, "The Lion King," and sometimes Expedition Everest as, "Mt. Everest."

NutsForFlorida

Hollywood Studios = MGM
Pirates of the Caribbean = Pirates of the Beans
Tommorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover = The Weed Whacker
Downtown Disney = Disney Marketplace
Rockin' Rollercoaster = Aerosmith

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Funfy

When my now 21-yr old DD was about 2 1/2 she had on a pair of tights with Ariel-the Little Mermaid. My sister asked her who was on her tights and she said Meme. Well, it stuck to the point where I went into a Kmart and asked if they had Meme sunglasses. Yes, I got quite the look! LOL.

From then on everyone in the family calls Ariel-Meme.

We also call it the big ball. I have no sense of direction in EPCOT-I always get turned around. So, my kids and husband are always asking me where's the big ball.

Mickey is also Mick-Mick sometimes.

wdwmomof3

Some of these are really funny, and some I use myself such as the tea cups & TTA to shorten the name of the attractions. The only one that we have actually tweaked a little is Kali River Rapids. When my son was young he couldn't say it right and he would call it Kali Ripper Rapids and it stuck with us. So now years later we still call it Kali Ripper Rapids. :D

Marco226

When I was really young, I used to call Horizons "oranges" because my favorite part of that ride was smelling all of the oranges at that one farm scene. Now, whenever we talk about going on Mission: Space, I always say, "I wanna go on oranges!" My friends are like, "whuuut?" I'm referring to the orange side of that ride but also remembering what used to be there. My family gets it but everyone else doesn't. *Sigh*... memories...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom