Your Family's Personal WDW 'Slang'

DisneySaint

Original Poster
Not everyone calls attractions by their name. Families will often come up with their own slang for rides, restaurants, or anything really. Sometimes it’s way off the wall and it might make no sense to anyone outside that family, sometimes it’s just a knowing mispronunciation (if I had a nickel for every time I heard “Space Mountain” or “Space Mission” for Mission:Space…), or sometimes it might be an old name for an attraction (i.e. “The Peoplemover” instead of the “Tomorrowland Transit Authority”).

What are your family’s ‘slang’ terms for things at WDW and, if you remember, where did the term start and how?

Now, I don’t mean shortened names like calling “Big Thunder Mountain Railroad” as “Thunder Mountain” or “Pirates of the Caribbean” as “Pirates” and I also don’t mean using variations such as “The Land” for the “Living with the Land” boat ride. I’m looking for things that would have little of the real name in it such as “The Big Ball” for “Spaceship Earth.”

Here are just a few of my family’s:

Backlot Express = “The Warehouse”
Grand Fiesta Tour = “Mexico boat”
Maelstrom = “Norway”
Sounds Dangerous = “Drew Carey” (when it was around)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Good idea for a thread...

We call Splash Mountain "The Brer Rabbit Boat Ride" because a family friend's daughter was too scared to go on Splash Mountain after seeing the drop, so we around the corner and got on a nice little boat ride instead...:animwink:

We call POR "Dixie Landings", because that's what it should still be called.

We call Triceratops Spin "DinoDumbo" for obvious reasons.

We say "Soarin'" even when we're at DCA, thereby annoying my SoCal based sister-in-law who insists on correcting us to "Soarin' over California"

Of course, Kilalmanjaro Safaris is just "The Safari", but I think everybody says that.

crispy

DH calls Spacship Earth "The Giant Golfball."

On a funny note, my oldest daughter has always loved Donald Duck. We took her to Disney on her 3rd birthday and told her she was going to get to meet THE Donald Duck. For whatever reason she thought we said D. Donald Duck and started calling him that so now Donald Duck is called D. Donald Duck by all of us.

bethymouse

Cool idea!

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin= BUZZ
Tomorrowland Transit Authority= TTA or Peoplemover
Carousel of Progress= great big beautiful tomorrow moving thing!:lol:
Tomorrowland Speedway =Cars
Mad Tea Party= Teacups
Stitch's Great Escape=STITCH
Splash Mountain=Splash Down
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad= THUNDER
Walt Disney World Railroad =train
Enchanted Tiki Room= Tiki birds
Liberty Square Riverboat= The Boat
Spaceship Earth= Big Golf Ball:)
Expedition Everest= The Yeti!
Kali River Rapids= Big Tube Ride

Tuvalu

Premium Member
My family always enjoys stopping by the Main Street Bakery for an ice cream cookie sandwich. On one visit we abbreviated cookie sandwich to C.S. To which my then 11-year-old son proclaimed, "Oh, you mean Lewis!" (He was reading The Chronicles of Narnia at the time.)

So for the last 10+ years (and likely for every future visit), an ice cream cookie sandwich is always referred to as "a Lewis."

rodserling27

My sister and I have some stupid ones....most come from our deliberate mispronunciation of words.
REAL NAME....OUR NAME
Fantasmic = Mountain Mick
Mickey = Mippy, or, Mip (something stupid I made up :lol:)
Park Guests = Mippers
People Watching, just relaxin = Mippin'
World Showcase = Hapone (mispronunciation of "Japan")
Space Mountain = Pace
Tower of Terror = Rod (duh!)
Imagination! = Figment (or on occasion Migfent)
Casey's Corner = Jim named after the Pianist who plays outside there (we sometimes call this "Mark" too, since he plays as well)
Waiting in line that has many turnstiles = Weaving.
Waiting in line with even more turnstiles = Mega-weave

Yup, it's official. I am insane.

Can't wait to see what stupid names my fianceé and I make up next week on her first trip! :lol:

Raven66

When our daughter was little and we were discussing when we should take a Disney trip and we were showing her some characters she came up with these

Pluto-ploodle
Brer Rabbit-prayer rabbit.

We still call them that even tho she is 15 now. She likes to tell us that she was a kid then and that she knows how to say them now, but I think she secretly likes to still call them that. :)

bluewings

Hoop-De-Doo Revue= The Hoop De Doo Show with a weird emphasis on "Doo" and elongated "Show". The short story behind this is my sister and I overheard a group talking about how they were going to the Hoop De Doo Shoooow that night.

It's one of those things that needs to be heard to understand it because it was such a funny way to say it and we just laughed about it the whole time...still do.

It's a Small World= Matt's favorite ride. This is a joke that's stuck since 1990 when I asked to ride Small World over and over and over again.

We also called Imagination Figment

Have an uncle who STILL refers to Cinderella's Castle as the Magic Kingdom

I constantly notice myself calling Innoventions Innovations and occasionally Interventions:shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
A while back I told my young niece about a place in Florida that had a big, white, ball. She quickly became obsessed with the idea of the place with the big, white ball, and the name has stuck ever since. I was happy to get the chance to take her into "the big white ball" for the first time this past November.

When my kids were younger, we called Haunted Mansion "the ghost ride". Journey Into Imagination is always "the Figment ride". That's all I can think of at the moment.

Annielkd

DH calls Spacship Earth "The Giant Golfball."

On a funny note, my oldest daughter has always loved Donald Duck. We took her to Disney on her 3rd birthday and told her she was going to get to meet THE Donald Duck. For whatever reason she thought we said D. Donald Duck and started calling him that so now Donald Duck is called D. Donald Duck by all of us.

We call it the giant silver golf ball!
We also say "man down" when we are going to walk quickly in single file trying to navigate through a crowd. It started five years ago when my son was young and we would practice trying to stay safe. We didn't want a man down.

DizneyPryncess

Fun thread!

Journey Into Imagination = Figment
Splash Mountain = Splash
Earl of Sandwich = Earls, as in "When are we eating at Earls?"
Pirates of the Caribbean = Pirates
Polynesian = The Poly (thanks to these boards!)

And my personal favorite. Cruella de Ville = Michael Jackson.
There's a big picture of her in DTD, and while walking by it years ago, my dad asked in all seriousness "Why is Michael Jackson's picture here?"

He isn't really a Disney person - doesn't know who Cruella is. To this day, we call her Michael Jackson. :D

Disney61

When our family hears a little kid going into meltdown mode we use the word H-POE (Happiest Place on Earth) to describe the situation :animwink:

dizneykev

When my son was little he did not know the names of the parks, so we referred to them as the following:

Magic Kingdom = Mickey's Castle
Hollywood Studios = Mickey's Hat
EPCOT = Mickey's Ball
Animal Kingdom = Mickey's Tree.

Of course we made up two sayings we say a LOT when at the parks and they have made it to our everyday life. If something awesome happens you give each other a high five in the front and yell "Slamma-Jamma". You can also call something "Walt-a-licious".

Dizneykev

Minnie1976

I can't say it's my family's slang, but it is mine.

Haunted Mansion - Haunted House
Disney's Hollywood Studios - MGM
The Great Movie Ride - Movie Ride
Pirates of the Caribbean - Pirates
EnchantedTikki Birds - Tikki Birds
Tomorrowland Transportation Authoity - Wedway
Maelstrom - Norway
Expedition Everest - Mt. Everest
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway - Race cars
20,000 Leagues - The submarines

I am sure there are more, but I hope no one out there is screaming too loudly at me.

koryadams

haha well, I get mad when my mom says the wrong name lol. My brother and I like to be technical, so I don't think I call anything other than it's real name, but here is what my parents say:

Dino Dig "Dinosaur"
Mission to Mars "mission Space"
Fast Lane, Test run "test Track"
Pirates "pirates of the caribbean"
Peter pan "peter pan's flight"
Snow White "snow white's scary adventures" R.I.P
Mt. Everest "expedition everest"
Living seas "the seas with Nemo and Friends"
Ellen's dream "universe of Energy"
stinky bugs "it's tough to be a bug"

thats most of them...sometimes it's funny. even when they get resorts wrong and we correct them and they just say "whatever!" haha Disney memories!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom