Your Best Disney Etiquette Tips

I_heart_Tigger

I'm heading to a conference in June and will be with some travel agents who have never been to WDW before. I was going to post a few Disney Etiquette tips for them so our agency is represented well while we explore the world.

I will mention no flash photos on rides and no saving spots for a large group for rides or parades but if you have any other suggestions you think are worthwhile to list I'd appreciate it.

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
- No saving spots for people in line (parades are okay, if they are coming back soon... example: bathroom for kids)
- Wear deodorant
- Don't yell at the CMs
- People paid the same as you did to get it (pretty much), you don't own the parks. In other words, be respectful to those around you.
- Don't litter/vandalize the place.
- Don't get angry when you have to wait in lines
- Wear appropriate clothing
- No running, while Disney is faster paced than most vacations, you shouldn't have to run to get short lines
- Don't try to get free things, you're not any more special than the others around you
- Drive scooters/strollers with caution
- Keep track of the kiddies
- Scoot all the way down the row in shows/attractions
- No flash photography
- No talking during attractions, including pre-shows
- No chanting/yelling/being obnoxious in line
- Don't take up the entire walkway so you can take a photo. If you have to get back farther, it should be a quick snap and done.
- Don't reuse resort mugs
- No pool hopping, please

That's just off the top of my head. Am I too picky? :p

Travel agents are notorious for trying to get freebies because they're Travel Agents! Some of them use it as a threat as if they can bring down the entire hotel chain or car rental place if they are not satisfied. It's been drilled into our heads by our owners that we are to act courteous and grateful for any perks we get but we are not to expect special service.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Not exactly etiquette but useful if they are going to service potential future WDW travellers:
Take lots of notes of things they experienced to bring back home to their newbie WDW travellers.
Grab some interesting souvenirs to place around strategically on their desks for clients to see.
Take in a Disney tour to see whats really going on at Disney
Talk to many CM's to get a feel of how to interact properly with clients.
Read some Disney books on guest relations/ services.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

Your walking along...don't stop and have a meeting on what ride to go on next or where to have lunch. It blocks the way for others who have to work their way around you. Simply step to the side.

Don't wait til 5 minutes before the parade begins to decide to squeeze your way to the rope upsetting folks who have been waiting as long as an hour for that spot. And don't push your two kids thru to the front of the rope either because you want them to SEE better. Again, if youf family wanted to see the parade, you need to arrive early and get Your spot staked out.

No singing, chanting or whatever while waiting in line. Very annoying to others.

Pay attention. When the lines move, move with them.

Have your bags ready to be checked at security lines. Don't wait to be told to open your purse or bag.

Upvote 0

princessmommy

Like others have said, be respectful and polite. The drinking and smoking are biggies for me. In moderation, sure- but in the right places and times. Nothing makes me grate my teeth like waiting in line with some guy puffing away on his cigarette and blowing it all over dozens of kids and babies or the EPCOT drunk stumbling over kids waiting for Illuminations.
Be nice to CM's! I can't tell you how many people I've seen shove past the greeters or Photopass CM's. not to mention the ones doing surveys, pretending they don't hear them and don't want to be bothered. Some times you never know who's day you'll make with a smile and a nice response. Might make your day better too:)

Oh, this one is for the gents in your group- give up monorail and bus seats to women, elderly and children. Always. It's just manners but I can't tell you how many courteous people offered me spots when I had my son in my arms and vice versa- I saw too many exhausted elderly I offered my seat when everyone else was slack-jawed pretending to ignore them.
totally agree wirh this!

Upvote 0

KCheatle

Just a quick suggestion, and one I didn't think to do until I came on these boards - It's nice to leave your maid a little tip every day. She does, after all, have to pick up all of our crap and make our beds and it's just the proper thing to do. We leave $5-$10/day depending on what we have in our pockets and how messy the room is when we leave (my DH and I look at each other and you can see it in our eyes if it's a $10 day). Some people make the envelopes with the tips in them before they leave for the trip and decorate them and leave cute notes in them. We didn't do the notes thing, but we did put it in an envelope every day in an obvious place so that she knew this was not just $5 (or $10 :oops:) laying around - that it was for her.

Upvote 0

danpam1024

Like others have said, be respectful and polite. The drinking and smoking are biggies for me. In moderation, sure- but in the right places and times. Nothing makes me grate my teeth like waiting in line with some guy puffing away on his cigarette and blowing it all over dozens of kids and babies or the EPCOT drunk stumbling over kids waiting for Illuminations.
Be nice to CM's! I can't tell you how many people I've seen shove past the greeters or Photopass CM's. not to mention the ones doing surveys, pretending they don't hear them and don't want to be bothered. Some times you never know who's day you'll make with a smile and a nice response. Might make your day better too:)

Oh, this one is for the gents in your group- give up monorail and bus seats to women, elderly and children. Always. It's just manners but I can't tell you how many courteous people offered me spots when I had my son in my arms and vice versa- I saw too many exhausted elderly I offered my seat when everyone else was slack-jawed pretending to ignore them.
I HATE it when people refuse to give their seats up to the elderly on buses, boats, or monorails. Conversely, after waiting for a parade on a bench with my family for over an hour, 2 elderly women came up to us 2 minutes before the parade and told us we should give them our seats because they were elderly! I kindly said in my most pleasant voice "HE#L NO!"

Upvote 0

wdwstateofmind

It's sad, but don't wear sweatpants...do you know how many middle-aged adults I see there in grey sweatpants...seriously, look the next time you're there, it's like 33% of the park...

most importantly...NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY ON DARK RIDES!!!!!!

Conversely, after waiting for a parade on a bench with my family for over an hour, 2 elderly women came up to us 2 minutes before the parade and told us we should give them our seats because they were elderly! I kindly said in my most pleasant voice "HE#L NO!"
I feel your pain, we had an indian couple to this to us with their kids saying they deserve it...i had just proposed so I was having none of it...

Upvote 0

danpam1024

Just a quick suggestion, and one I didn't think to do until I came on these boards - It's nice to leave your maid a little tip every day. She does, after all, have to pick up all of our crap and make our beds and it's just the proper thing to do. We leave $5-$10/day depending on what we have in our pockets and how messy the room is when we leave (my DH and I look at each other and you can see it in our eyes if it's a $10 day). Some people make the envelopes with the tips in them before they leave for the trip and decorate them and leave cute notes in them. We didn't do the notes thing, but we did put it in an envelope every day in an obvious place so that she knew this was not just $5 (or $10 :oops:) laying around - that it was for her.
we make money origami- also leave hershy kisses :). It really blows my mind that people DON'T tip the maids! I HATE making the bed and cleaning up after myself!

Upvote 0

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Please don't break wind in a pre-ride video area once the doors have been closed. I've had it happen and looked around to see if there was a baby that perhaps needed a diaper change, but nope,...only adults, lol. Also, please wash your hands after using the restroom. Ive seen grown men come out of the stall and just walk out, gross. We all touch the same hand rails, safety bars, seat fasteners, etc. I would prefer not to have any fecal matter on my hands. DW keeps wipes in the bag for this very reason. lol

Upvote 0

wdwstateofmind

we make money origami- also leave hershy kisses :). It really blows my mind that people DON'T tip the maids! I HATE making the bed and cleaning up after myself!
I'm generous and in the restaurants it shows, but when I'm leaving Disney it's the last thing on my mind and I'll admit I've forgotten 3 times...

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I'm heading to a conference in June and will be with some travel agents who have never been to WDW before. I was going to post a few Disney Etiquette tips for them so our agency is represented well while we explore the world.

I will mention no flash photos on rides and no saving spots for a large group for rides or parades but if you have any other suggestions you think are worthwhile to list I'd appreciate it.

Have fun! I think the general common sense and manners is the biggest tip. But I would also agree, no loud talking on rides is key. :) And patience! :)

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

Agree with previous posts, especially the deodorant and sweatpants ones. Also, no asking when the 3 o'clock parade is scheduled. It is verboten!

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

Please do not conduct a phone conversation while in the restroom, I am sure the other person on the phone does not want to hear you pee or otherwise. I certainly do not want to hear your conversation while I am in the restroom. Yes, yes, yes, handwashing please!

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
This is more advice than etiquette, but you may want to remind your party not to stand up if for any reason an attraction stops in the middle of the ride. You never know when it will start up again.

On my last trip I was stuck in the same scene of CoP 5 times because people kept leaving. It actaully traumatized me so much I think I may have to skip it this trip. I just can't sit through another "Woo boy! Hottest 4th of July we've had in years..."

go to your happy place...go to your happy place...:confused:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom