Your Best Disney Etiquette Tips

I_heart_Tigger

I'm heading to a conference in June and will be with some travel agents who have never been to WDW before. I was going to post a few Disney Etiquette tips for them so our agency is represented well while we explore the world.

I will mention no flash photos on rides and no saving spots for a large group for rides or parades but if you have any other suggestions you think are worthwhile to list I'd appreciate it.

Weather_Lady

Another one (a good tip in ANY public place), is not to engage in loud personal telephone conversations while walking around the park. If they need to have a conversation, find a secluded spot and speak quietly...

I think most of Disney etiquette (other than the items you mentioned) is standard manners that are expected nearly everywhere (e.g., don't show up for a parade and stand in front of people who arrived before you did, don't swear or use other foul language because you're surrounded by children, don't punch old ladies in the face or kick puppies, etc.). I'm sure your group will represent itself well!

Oh, and if dining at a table service restaurant, leave your server a respectable tip!

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
Oh, yes...the drinking one is a very valid point. My god travel agents can pound back the booze! I have to watch that myself since I sometimes have a potty mouth. It's funny though, it's like I have a different mindset when at WDW. I think if I stubbed my toe badly there there would be a string of "gosh darnit jeepers creeprs that hurts like a thistle!" Must be the pixie dust I enhaled at the gates.

Upvote 0

jmorri26

Like others have said, be respectful and polite. The drinking and smoking are biggies for me. In moderation, sure- but in the right places and times. Nothing makes me grate my teeth like waiting in line with some guy puffing away on his cigarette and blowing it all over dozens of kids and babies or the EPCOT drunk stumbling over kids waiting for Illuminations.
Be nice to CM's! I can't tell you how many people I've seen shove past the greeters or Photopass CM's. not to mention the ones doing surveys, pretending they don't hear them and don't want to be bothered. Some times you never know who's day you'll make with a smile and a nice response. Might make your day better too:)

Oh, this one is for the gents in your group- give up monorail and bus seats to women, elderly and children. Always. It's just manners but I can't tell you how many courteous people offered me spots when I had my son in my arms and vice versa- I saw too many exhausted elderly I offered my seat when everyone else was slack-jawed pretending to ignore them.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

Those hotel room doors can really get away from you...i.e....don't let them slam shut! When my nieces were small and we had them running from one room to another between relatives, we would put a wash cloth on each of the door guards which would dramatically cut down on the noise of the door closing on the guard.

Upvote 0

Unomas

If you are in line. Be in line. Move up when the line moves. If you are with multiple people in a group - that group should stick together in line.

We ran into a family of Brazilians on Rocking Rollercoaster who decided the women in their party needed simply sit on the interior flowerbed railing (I don't know how else to describe it), while their two male figures snaked about the line. The point is I think everyone would have wanted a few moments to take a load off in a 90 minute long line. But they seemed suited to just sit there and let everyone go in front of them - only to cut back in line when their men were no longer at the point of sitting space. I'm not bitter! :mad:

Upvote 0

PUSH

- No saving spots for people in line (parades are okay, if they are coming back soon... example: bathroom for kids)
- Wear deodorant
- Don't yell at the CMs
- People paid the same as you did to get it (pretty much), you don't own the parks. In other words, be respectful to those around you.
- Don't litter/vandalize the place.
- Don't get angry when you have to wait in lines
- Wear appropriate clothing
- No running, while Disney is faster paced than most vacations, you shouldn't have to run to get short lines
- Don't try to get free things, you're not any more special than the others around you
- Drive scooters/strollers with caution
- Keep track of the kiddies
- Scoot all the way down the row in shows/attractions
- No flash photography
- No talking during attractions, including pre-shows
- No chanting/yelling/being obnoxious in line
- Don't take up the entire walkway so you can take a photo. If you have to get back farther, it should be a quick snap and done.
- Don't reuse resort mugs
- No pool hopping, please

That's just off the top of my head. Am I too picky? :p

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

If you are in line. Be in line. Move up when the line moves. If you are with multiple people in a group - that group should stick together in line.

We ran into a family of Brazilians on Rocking Rollercoaster who decided the women in their party needed simply sit on the interior flowerbed railing (I don't know how else to describe it), while their two male figures snaked about the line. The point is I think everyone would have wanted a few moments to take a load off in a 90 minute long line. But they seemed suited to just sit there and let everyone go in front of them - only to cut back in line when their men were no longer at the point of sitting space. I'm not bitter! :mad:
Good point! It's actually against the rules at Disney to cut in line. You are to stay with your party or join the end of the line. I don't mind making an exception for a young child that needs a potty break while in a long line, but the teenagers that travel in groups and then text the rest of their group when to join them...ridiculous!!!

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
1. Deodorant.
2. Be patient and follow Wheaton's Law.
3. Deodorant.
4. No talking during attractions....even the pre-show.
5. Did I mention deodorant?

I will absolutely mention #4 as a must. People don't realize how many first timers are there and while the people I'm traveling with may stay quiet during pre-shows I hate to think that they can't hear anything in the stretching room at HM or the library at ToT because other people who have been on it a hundred times think it's OK to ruin it for others.

Seems like the Disney fanatics stay quiet and listen and the newbies do as well but the other (estimated 75%) find it a good time to chit chat.

Also, I think you forgot to mention deoderant

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom