Your Best Disney Etiquette Tips

I_heart_Tigger

I'm heading to a conference in June and will be with some travel agents who have never been to WDW before. I was going to post a few Disney Etiquette tips for them so our agency is represented well while we explore the world.

I will mention no flash photos on rides and no saving spots for a large group for rides or parades but if you have any other suggestions you think are worthwhile to list I'd appreciate it.

SulleyanBoo

If ONLY everyone I encountered at wdw followed all of these good tips!
My largest pet peeves at the world are as follows:
1.Line saving..if you all are going on a ride GO IN THE LINE TOGETHER PLEASE.
2.Stroller and Wheelchairs being used as bumper cars
3.gum chewing- weird pet peeve to some..but I can't stand when it's being popped or chewed loudly right behind me
4.flash photography when they specifically say "no flash photography."
5.restaurant seat saving. During some of the more crowded months I have seen cast members only let guests with food find a table but honestly to be fair it should be this way all of the time.
6.just plain rude people- there are plenty there!

But, just try to enjoy yourselves. I try to block all of these things out so I can enjoy the most happiest place on earth to it's fullest! If you focus on all of the negative things that annoy you, you won't have a good time!

Upvote 0

Maryssa*

SOOO echoing the "move all the way down the row" thing! The CMs say it multiple times and there's always some "foreign" family pretending to not understand english that insists on plopping down in the middle forcing you to climb over them. Many times these people are often the ones with the children that won't be quiet during the show. Please always be respectful to those around you and to the CMs!

Upvote 0

Tinkerfan4ever

When you are done eating (especially at a quick service) please get up and make room for those people who are just getting their food. There is nothing worse than having a child in a stroller, a tray of food, a tray of drinks and having to walk around to find a table when there are lots of people sitting at tables with no food.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

Big one: If you are waiting for your Fastpasses to be good, step away from the line. Don't block it! It's highly annoying. Also, don't argue with the Cast Member about using a Fastpass early either. It ain't gonna work.

I see a lot of business people who look down on guests, especially if they're dressed nicely and the rest of us are wearing shorts and t shirts. They especially do this to teens. Please remind them to smile. It makes you guys look so much better if you look as relaxed as we are. If you guys talk to the little girls in princess dresses, it makes you look like superman.

For the women, wear flats in the parks. There is nothing more annoying than seeing a businesswoman in heels and then hearing her complain about her feet. Or having her walk slowly. Wear flats and keep up. I know you all will be dressing more professionally, but try to wear something cool if at all possible. This minimizes sweating, which then minimizes stench.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

No smoking except in designated areas and watch out for small children running about
The smoking is a big thing. There are asthmatics who can't handle if you randomly light up next to them. Also, limit the use of perfumes. I know you're trying to cover up any sweaty smell, but there are lots of people who can't handle being around the fragrances. That being said, if you must wear perfume, don't spray it in a bathroom. Do it outside near the smokers or in a perfume shop. That should be general common sense, but unfortunately, it's not. Absolutely don't spray it in enclosed spaces, such as monorails and elevators. You never know who you might be sharing the space with, and it causes issues for those with breathing problems, and it makes other uncomfortable in general.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm heading to a conference in June and will be with some travel agents who have never been to WDW before. I was going to post a few Disney Etiquette tips for them so our agency is represented well while we explore the world.

I will mention no flash photos on rides and no saving spots for a large group for rides or parades but if you have any other suggestions you think are worthwhile to list I'd appreciate it.

Youknow, I love the idea of this thread, and reading it...

But if you are going with adult travel agents who need to be told not to use flash photography where it says not to, and not to line jump...I question if I'd want them planning out my vacation for me.

Just a thought...

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

Oh, umbrellas! You should bring one, but make sure you know where it is in relation to other people at all times! Have your tickets ready at the gate before you get in line to minimize the wait time. Travel lightly if possible to minimize waits at security (I understand it isn't possible for parents with kids, but it's entirely possible for the rest of us to only have a small purse or bag). If any of them are using a wheelchair or scooter, be considerate of other guests. Make room so they can go around you. Don't push just because you're in a scooter. Watch out for people taking photos. Basically, follow the rules.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

But if you are going with adult travel agents who need to be told not to use flash photography where it says not to, and not to line jump...I question if I'd want them planning out my vacation for me.

Just a thought...
You never know...I've seen business people do it. A little instruction never hurt anyone

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster

Just a thought...

I'm going with travel agents who are new and have never been to Disney World before. I thought it would be nice to have a list of things for them to remember so they are represented well in the parks. On more than one occasion (actually dozens of times per day) people say (or claim) they didn't hear a warning of no flash photography. I don't think this has any bearing on whether they are capable of booking a vacation for someone.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm going with travel agents who are new and have never been to Disney World before. I thought it would be nice to have a list of things for them to remember so they are represented well in the parks. On more than one occasion (actually dozens of times per day) people say (or claim) they didn't hear a warning of no flash photography. I don't think this has any bearing on whether they are capable of booking a vacation for someone.

New as in new to being a travel agent, or just new to WDW?

I'm not trying to be critical or negative, for the record. Far from it. It's just something that occurred to me as I was reading through some of the posts on the thread...

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
New as in new to being a travel agent, or just new to WDW?

I'm not trying to be critical or negative, for the record. Far from it. It's just something that occurred to me as I was reading through some of the posts on the thread...

New to both. I'm sending the list to agents who have signed with the agency within the last year and have never been to WDW. This will be their first experience there and I have recommended things they should do (such as a resort hopping tour) and thought I would include some etiquette tips as well.

EDIT: for many of them this is their first major conference. I don't want our agency to look bad at the parks or in the conference sessions. That's the only reason I was doing this.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
New to both. I'm sending the list to agents who have signed with the agency within the last year and have never been to WDW. This will be their first experience there and I have recommended things they should do (such as a resort hopping tour) and thought I would include some etiquette tips as well.

EDIT: for many of them this is their first major conference. I don't want our agency to look bad at the parks or in the conference sessions. That's the only reason I was doing this.

Totally get that! Just was curious why grown people would need to be told not to pass gas in the pre-show area or cut lines (seems rather common etiquette to me, not that it doesn't happen)...

I don't want to derail the thread, so back on topic...as far as etiquette...

I really don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but I have a few ideas that would help them plan better trips for their future customers.

1) DO take time to tour the resorts
2) Take a tour or two for background of the parks and upsell opportunities (assuming you make commission on those, also this was already mentioned, but a great idea)
3) Check out Pop hotel windows at night, and maybe even scour the web to find templates and ideas to help families plan their own Pop hotel decorations
4) Learn the ADR system...learn it well...

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Original Poster
Totally get that! Just was curious why grown people would need to be told not to pass gas in the pre-show area or cut lines (seems rather common etiquette to me, not that it doesn't happen)...

I don't want to derail the thread, so back on topic...as far as etiquette...

I really don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but I have a few ideas that would help them plan better trips for their future customers.

1) DO take time to tour the resorts
2) Take a tour or two for background of the parks and upsell opportunities (assuming you make commission on those, also this was already mentioned, but a great idea)
3) Check out Pop hotel windows at night, and maybe even scour the web to find templates and ideas to help families plan their own Pop hotel decorations
4) Learn the ADR system...learn it well...

I have actually made a Resort Hopping Plan for them (example when they visit AK it must include a visit to AKL, a visit to DTD must include the boat ride to POR & POFQ and of course the MK and Epcot resorts)

The Pop windows idea is cool and I have already given a seminar on the DDP including ADR's. Myself and another agent are the resident "Disney Experts" so we take turns recording webinars on Disney topics...seems never ending. I can understand why people find it overwhelming.

I haven't told any of them that I'm going to be there for 4 days before any of them arrive. I need some time in the parks to myself before I get nailed with 137 questions a day :)

Upvote 0

bluejasmine

My pet peeves are:
Ppl using flash on rides..
Ppl who bring half their family in line in front of you.
Ppl who stop in the middle of the walk way to look at a map and discuss what to do next
PPl who don't realize you can use both sides of the register at QS restaurants.

A lot of times when I notice a child waiting to play a game or look at what Im looking at or see fireworks, show, or parade I will move out the way. Nothing gives more joy than to see the happiness on kids faces at WDW!

Upvote 0

PrincessMia

@PUSH,
- Scoot all the way down the row in shows/attractions

Why does it drive me crazy to hear a CM say, "please move all the way to the end," and then watch the lady in front of me plop right in the middle of the row? Uhhh, yeah, I'd like to primo middle seat too. And the 1000 other people waiting for you to move.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

My pet peeves:
  • people who walk backwards without looking in the middle of a walkway to get that crappy picture they are taking (Imagine how these people drive a car)
  • people who stop in the middle of a crowded walkway to talk of look at a map. (Move to the side people)
  • people that think they should be able to stop in the middle of a theater because they are special and cause instant chaos in whatever row they are in.
  • people that park strollers in the middle of walkways or ride entrances
  • people at the end of the night in there scooters that pull up to a bus stop when the buss arrives when the standing line is a mile long and yell at the bus driver because they are supposed to be the first on the bus
  • people that stand in line and when you finally get ready to load then 20 family and friends push their way through in front of you
  • people that run into you from behind with a scooter or stroller and then proceed to yell at you for getting in the way
  • people that let there kids swing on the railings and chains in the queues that say do not sit or stand on railings
  • people that purposely deface Disney property
  • people that throw garbage on the ground
  • people that leave beer cups, soda cups, popcorn buckets and all other kinds of garbage behind in theaters
  • people that buy there kids those swirly light up gadgets and other lighted items to be swung by their kids and hit the person that they sit the kid next too and to also ruin the show for the people behind that are there to actually enjoy the nighttime show and not Jr trying to look like the Statue of Liberty.
  • people that literally push in front of you 5 minutes before Illuminations when you have been reserving your spot on the railing for the past hour and they get ed when you try to hold you ground
  • People using flash or video lighting in dark rides
  • people using flash for fireworks pics
  • people talking on rides and shows
  • people with kids who keep kicking the back of your seat
  • people that try to get out of rides while moving and shut down the systems
  • cheerleaders that decide it is time to chant throughout the entire queue
  • people that get way to drunk @ Epcot and get on your bus to SSR and scare you kids all so they can get to PI to get more drunk
  • people that check into your room and have you stuff removed

Wow, I must be angry? I could keep typing dozens of these.

The simplest answer with Disney etiquette is is that treat everyone around you as you would like them to treat you and be respectful.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom