Your 1st Disney Trip

cdunbar

It had to be 88 or 89 I couldn't tell you for sure. But there is a pic floating around my house somewhere and it's me in front of the contemporary...:eek:

Harveyholt

My first trip was in 1995 before I was unmarried. I went with a bunch of teachers, and had a blast; however, when my wife and I took cousin in 1997, it was so much more fun. Of course there was so much more to see and do in '92 with the addition of Epcot.

Long ago for me,loved it...also visited the Poly.At that time there was only the Contemp & the Poly!! Poly cost $80(if I remember correctly).That to me was a HUGE amount of $$ for one night!! Since then ,I have stayed at the Poly & other WDW hotels many times!!Never will forget the first time.....I remember it everytime I set foot on MAINSTREET!
Jim

DisneyCanuck

My 1st trip to DL was in '72 or '73 - 4 or 5 at the time. The reason I remember it is b/c I punched the "the big bad wolf" in the nose for trying to eat the 3 little pigs. Mom and dad actually got it on film.

Ilovewishes

My first trip was for my 9th bday with my Aunt, Uncle, Uncle's dad, 2 cousins and a cousin's boyfriend. We went for 3 weeks and stayed off site.

I only remember bits and pieces, like the wave at Typhoon Lagoon knocking me off my feet and spending the rest of the day in the lazy river and making my feet raw so I had to have a piggy back to the car.

And being too shy to interact with any of the characters. In all of the photos, my older cousins are having a great time and I'm stood at the other side a safe distance away like a little mouse.:eek:

Oh and we had a hurricane one night that knocked the house next door down and when I banged on my Aunt & Uncle's door to tell them, they told me to go back to bed cos it was just a bad dream!:eek:

montyz81

My first trip was in 1981. We left from the old Eastern Terminal at Boston's Logan Airport on Eastern Airlines (the official airline of Walt Disney World). We went for a week. Stayed at the Vistana Resort (it was almost brand new). We went to MK, the Walt Disney World Village Now Downtown Disney) and we went to River Country. I remember the drive to the MK showed the unfinished Monorail line to Epcot Center. We saw the preview for Epcot Center. I also remember my brothers and I were given a entire afternoon/night in the park just the 3 of us. We went on everything.

Courtney1188

I would have to look up the exact year, but I was in second or third grade (yeah, I don't have a great memory with numbers...haha). The castle was decorated as a birthday cake, which I thought was the coolest thing ever. I remember being scared of SM and HM, but pretending I liked them because I didn't want to be a wimp. I remember the glass ballerina souvenir I bought somewhere in the Magic Kingdom - it broke years later and I almost cried. I also remember having "ice fights" with my brother and cousins...which consisted of chasing eachother down the hallways and lobbing ice at eachother (and occasionally having one go over the balcony and hit someone...oops!) and having contests to see who could eat the most salt packets in the food court without drinking anything.

Of course, those last two quickly stopped when my parents caught us. They hate that I still remember the salt contests..."We spent thousands of dollars taking all you kids to Disney World, and what you remember most is EATING SALT. Great use of money, you definitely couldn't of done that at home." Haha

DonaldDuck

My first trip to WDW was in June 1988 when I was 5. My parents actually pulled me out of kindergarten for a week (it was the only time I ever missed school for a vacation). I don't remember a lot of the trip, mostly because we went again 2 years later - which dominates my Disney childhood memories.

We went to the parks that were around back then - MK, EPCOT, Sea World, and Cypress Gardens. My parents put together a photo album for me of that trip (complete in a souvenir Disney album), so that helps jog my memory a bit. I do recall sitting in the back seat of the car while driving on the property and seeing the Earful Tower near the road (it was still a year before MGM opened).

tiaragirl

I would have to look up the exact year, but I was in second or third grade (yeah, I don't have a great memory with numbers...haha). The castle was decorated as a birthday cake, which I thought was the coolest thing ever. I remember being scared of SM and HM, but pretending I liked them because I didn't want to be a wimp. I remember the glass ballerina souvenir I bought somewhere in the Magic Kingdom - it broke years later and I almost cried. I also remember having "ice fights" with my brother and cousins...which consisted of chasing eachother down the hallways and lobbing ice at eachother (and occasionally having one go over the balcony and hit someone...oops!) and having contests to see who could eat the most salt packets in the food court without drinking anything.

Of course, those last two quickly stopped when my parents caught us. They hate that I still remember the salt contests..."We spent thousands of dollars taking all you kids to Disney World, and what you remember most is EATING SALT. Great use of money, you definitely couldn't of done that at home." Haha

I definitely agree with you there. At the time, it was sweet (no pun intended). However, I think it had something to do with our age.. :p

lighteningqueen

16 years old in 1971. Disneyland. Teenager and couldn't believe we were going somewhere first off. Seemed like we couldn't afford things like that but daddy somehow did it. Went to Vegas first and pouted myself to death over having to go see Elvis and eat dinner while doing so. So bored at the time. Then on to Disneyland. Had to buy ticket books $5.95. and ran out immediately of the E tickets. had to buy more. Loved the place but tried not to show it. You know being a teen and with your parents back in the 70's was the worst thing. But I still remember lots about it. Took our daughters back in 1979 and had a great time. POTC and Peter Pan and Sub rides were my favorites. IASW is also better there and when I ride at WDW all I can think of is those rides in California and how much better they are. But love WDW... going back to DCA in June we shall see what I think then...

WDW_Emily

I don't remember my first trip to the world but it was when I wasaround 8 months old and it was my parents first trip as well. My mom basically told me that during the trip I loved Mr. Toad and we went on about 3 times, IASW and Peter pan were also favorites.

2010 I'm going on my 11th trip to the world and IASW and Peter Pan are still must sees

UrbanDonovan

It wasn't my first trip, but my wife's first trip. It was the Saturday night after 9/11. I was ed beyond belief because a day that I should've spent drinking, tailgaiting, drinking, watching college football, drinking, witnessing an epic beatdown of the University of Tennessee by my beloved Gators and then drinking some more was instead replaced by an endless loop of the planes smashing into the twin towers. So, about 8 or 9 that evening, I just threw my hands up in disgust and told my wife, "We're going to Epcot tomorrow." The next morning, we woke early, made the drive down from Gainesville and enjoyed an awesome day. I swear there were only like 50 people in the whole park that day. But, it was so nice to just be able to escape reality for a few brief moments. To end the story, my wife loved it and she's been a Disney-addict since.

Disney05

My first trip was in 1991. Went with my wife and her family. Then we went alone the next year. Didn't go back until 2005! My parents had no interest in taking us as kids. Even now they say about Epcot, "I did the Worlds Fair in 64, it's the same thing". :hammer:

draybook

It wasn't my first trip, but my wife's first trip. It was the Saturday night after 9/11. I was ed beyond belief because a day that I should've spent drinking, tailgaiting, drinking, watching college football, drinking, witnessing an epic beatdown of the University of Tennessee by my beloved Gators and then drinking some more was instead replaced by an endless loop of the planes smashing into the twin towers. So, about 8 or 9 that evening, I just threw my hands up in disgust and told my wife, "We're going to Epcot tomorrow." The next morning, we woke early, made the drive down from Gainesville and enjoyed an awesome day. I swear there were only like 50 people in the whole park that day. But, it was so nice to just be able to escape reality for a few brief moments. To end the story, my wife loved it and she's been a Disney-addict since.

Wow.......

Mikester71

March 2005 for me and I was 34 at the time. Before our first trip, I never really thought much about WDW. I had a buddy that started going with his family every year and that was all he seemed to talk about when they would get back. So after seeing all his pictures and hearing all of his stories, I thought it sounded like a nice family trip. My wife had been as a child, but not me or the kids. So we decided to give it a try during the kids March Break in 2005.

OVERWHELMING best describes that first trip! You can see other peoples pictures and hear their stories, but until you actually set foot in the place yourself, you have no idea how truly magnificent and enormous WDW actually is!!! As soon as we got home from that first trip, I knew I was hooked and would be back again. We have been every second March Break since and my wife and I even changed our 20th anniversary plans for the 2 of us to get away in March 2011 to ANOTHER family WDW vacation instead!!!! Crazy or what!!!:hammer:

Disneybird

Final score: Tennessee 34-Florida 32

wdwwdeagle

Final score: Tennessee 34-Florida 32
Cracking UP! Not that I'm a fan of either team; I'm a fan of another SEC school, but, 'booyah' what a great post; doesn't really matter who the teams are.

However, urbandonovan, even though I'm laughing right now, I'm truly rooting for you guys to win it all this year!

Laura

Premium Member
Love reading the reports from those who were adults in the 70's.

My first trip was May 1982. I was 7 months old, and don't remember a bit of it. :lol:

maggiegrace1

Mine was in 1974..I was 2...first memory I have is when I was 3..almost 4 and being in Fantasyland and Mickey Mouse was standing there and ran up to him to take a picture..:D..

So weird because then you could just see characters walking around and no lines or anything..:D

I also remember when we wore our passes pinned to our shirts..:D

I am old...:)

countrygrl4

My first trip was in August to celebrate my 21st bday the month before. I went with my 2 girlfriends and cried the minute I walked into MK. I couldnt believe I finally got to WDW! I was sooo excited and we immediately took a picture with Chip and Dale bc they were right there. We stayed at PC which was fine bc we just needed a clean place to sleep plus we're college students and we were sooo on a budget! It was amazing! So much that I am going back in either March or May (most likely May and this time celebrate my college graduation) Disney is soo magical at any age! I remember seeing the castle and I felt like I was 5 if only I had my princess nightgown made of silk that I wore all the time when I was little. Ahhh Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom