You know your youth is long gone when...

...a 3 night Disney cruise without the kids takes 12 hours of solid sleep to begin the recovery! LOL! Poor old Tracey!

Hello again and welcome to the next SweetPee adventure! If you don't already know me go check out some of our other adventures down there in my signature. You'll learn things you never wanted to! For those of y'all that do, HIIIIII!!!! ((waving like a fool))

Two big things are missing in this trip that you'll notice right away: Chandler and Brian. This trip was my "surprise" anniversary present from my sweetness. Even though our anniversary wasn't until September, I got the call from Mickey (SURPRISE!) on July 4th weekend. I was so excited! My old man totally stinks at surprises so it amazed me he had been able to get with Tammy (disneyfalcon) to book the cruise, airfare, and pre-cruise hotel. Woot! I had the next 2+ months to pour over the details, daydream, and diet! September came before I knew what hit me!

You know your youth is long gone when...

...you've officially been married for half of your entire life! Yep, I was just 19 years old when we got married in September 1993. See where that number in my username comes from? :D Half of my life. That's a long time. And what an adventure it's been!

Wednesday, Sept. 26
Tracey worked half the day. I packed and got my toes did.

file.jpg

I know. Right? Who takes a pic of THAT?! I do. LOL!

Chandler & Tracey's mom drove with us to the airport (HOU) so Chandler could drive the Tahoe back home. No paying to park. Niiiiice. Gawd, I'm old! My KID is taking us to the airport now! Ugh!

We had a few hours to kill so we had dinner at Pappadeaux on Mustang Engineering's kindness. We used the nice gift card Tracey got at work for stepping up as a project lead even though he really didn't want to. Nice little folio the gift card came in:

file-2.jpg

I Instagram'd this one! I had a yummy sangria-ish something (can't remember the name) and Tracey had a double Crown & diet Coke.

file-3.jpg

I had this really good tomato & mozzarella w/blue cheese crumbles and balsamic. It was delish! I also had a cheesy baked potato. I got my cheesecake dessert to go.

file-1.jpg

We had a pretty uneventful flight. Good luck to the baseball team from Oklahoma who were going to the WWoS to play in a tournament. They were pretty funny. Had a whole game of catch (someone brought a football?) waiting at the baggage claim in MCO. I was sooooo tempted to get in on that. I love to play football!

Gathered our bags and got checked in at the Hyatt right there in the airport. Had a king room overlooking the runway. It was a nice room. I'd love to say "perfect" but the bed was pretty uncomfortable. Everything else was quite nice...especially the fantastic price I got: $106 total!

file-4.jpg

file-5.jpg

Yeah, I know you're all thinking, "Why didn't you go out to a WDW resort?" Cruising is a different animal, people. There's a method to my madness here. Plus, WDW so grossly overprices their rooms just so they can discount 'em. It's the principal. I can smile knowing this once I didn't wear the "sucker" cap. :D

In bed asleep at midnight. Big day tomorrow!

obrienIII

Great report like always little Sis! We need to start planning our excursions for May. I'm not against a short cruise between now and then either! Love you.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I can't wait for the girls' cruise!! It's going to be sooooo much fun, and I can't wait to meet you all :)

Me, tooooo!!!!

sounds like a blast, can a single dude get in on this?;)

Sorry, no icky boys in our girls group! LOL!

If a bunch of fellas decide to get together and form a group o' pirates to pilage-n-plunder our girl-party.... :p

I have been contemplating this very thought.

No you haven't! You want to get my husband to go down to Venice/Grand Isle where the dock...entertainment girls...can put on scary shows and spread their...friendly...diseases...er... nevermind. LOL!

Great report like always little Sis! We need to start planning our excursions for May. I'm not against a short cruise between now and then either! Love you.

Yes we do! And I'll be keepin' my eyes peeled for a cheapy special before May. It'd be great to hit Gold by the first week of February.

Gavman

I see your ladies cruise is the Sept 8 sailing, we're also on the same sailing. 1 question, Are we gonna have to compete against all of you for the Supervisor's Desk for upgrades? Save us a one bedroom suite, thanks.;)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I see your ladies cruise is the Sept 8 sailing, we're also on the same sailing. 1 question, Are we gonna have to compete against all of you for the Supervisor's Desk for upgrades? Save us a one bedroom suite, thanks.;)

Oooooh...1-bedroom are mighty sweet! Personally, unless they have 3 concierge rooms in a row and everyone in all 3 of the staterooms that I'm part of want to upgrade, I don't see it happening. We're in big verandah rooms (the 299 sq. ft.). Those are already pretty high up there in category. LOL!

Wuh oh. You're going down, Gavman. :D

Well, okay, if we arrived at the same time it would be difficult for me to keep control of my competitive nerve. I'd be running just to beat you to the desk. But that's not gonna happen! Right?!

Were coming from a week at the WDW(BLT) and were coming over on the ME so I'm sure they'll be gone by the time we get there...

Oh yeah! You're doomed! Your biggest problem is the week at BLT. You're gonna be pooped from the week at WDW. You won't be moving as fast as the fresh off the plane folks. LOL! Just kidding! If we end up renting out a bus charter or something maybe you can hook up with the group and arrange an earlier arrival. Keep watching the availability as it gets closer on the DCL website. We were not the first to the supervisor's desk by a long shot and got a 1-bedroom. The people behind us got one as well because we saw them later inside the steerage gate and high-fived each other! LOL!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Looks like you guys had so much fun!! Loved the pics, cannot wait until the day I am able to do a Disney cruise!

We really did have an amazing time! Thanks so much for reading it all. It was a LOT for just a little ol' 3-night cruise, huh? I can't wait for EVERYONE to try cruising with the main mouse. It's not an obvious thing to parks fans but there's so much more to be discovered besides beaches and eating. LOL!

angieandtrevor

How did I miss this report, girl you are some quick at getting this done.....I am still going through the gazillion pictures I took. It looks like you guys had a fantastic trip which is so nice to see.

I wish I would have known that you could do sit down at Cabanas, I just kinda assumed it was still the buffet. Meal times were our biggest struggle, we found they were way too long for our 2-year old, definitely no fault of the servers (they were awesome) just too long for our busy boy. We could normally get him to sit for 60-90 minutes but after that he was done. Most evening we had to just get up and leave because we never wanted him to disrupt anyone else. We love the sit down meals however they aren't always the best with a little boy who doesn't want to sit still that long. Good to know for next time.

We have been to Nassau several times (been there done that) however we have never done Atlantis and that is most definitely on my list for next time. Oh that and the cabanas.....I am SO sold on that one. I know they are crazy expensive but worth every penny. When we were in Castaway Cay we spent the morning in the water with Oliver (pure heaven) but when it was his nap time we took him to the nursery so he could sleep and we headed to Serenity Bay, where we were drooling over the cabanas. Something else on my list for next time !!

Thanks for posting such a fun and detailed report; I love all the little videos. Oh and don't ya just love the IPhone 5? I went from a 3 to a 5 so it was a big jump for me but I love it. I used it to take tons of videos during our trip and the clarity and quality is really good for a phone, I was really impressed.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
How did I miss this report, girl you are some quick at getting this done.....I am still going through the gazillion pictures I took. It looks like you guys had a fantastic trip which is so nice to see.

I wish I would have known that you could do sit down at Cabanas, I just kinda assumed it was still the buffet. Meal times were our biggest struggle, we found they were way too long for our 2-year old, definitely no fault of the servers (they were awesome) just too long for our busy boy. We could normally get him to sit for 60-90 minutes but after that he was done. Most evening we had to just get up and leave because we never wanted him to disrupt anyone else. We love the sit down meals however they aren't always the best with a little boy who doesn't want to sit still that long. Good to know for next time.

We have been to Nassau several times (been there done that) however we have never done Atlantis and that is most definitely on my list for next time. Oh that and the cabanas.....I am SO sold on that one. I know they are crazy expensive but worth every penny. When we were in Castaway Cay we spent the morning in the water with Oliver (pure heaven) but when it was his nap time we took him to the nursery so he could sleep and we headed to Serenity Bay, where we were drooling over the cabanas. Something else on my list for next time !!

Thanks for posting such a fun and detailed report; I love all the little videos. Oh and don't ya just love the IPhone 5? I went from a 3 to a 5 so it was a big jump for me but I love it. I used it to take tons of videos during our trip and the clarity and quality is really good for a phone, I was really impressed.

I burned thru the report so fast because I wasn't ready be done with the trip! I was staying immersed! LOL!

Cabanas does the sit-down every night except the first & last nights of the cruise. I think if you have main dining they also have the dine-n-play or something like that. You sign up for it then the nursery & kids club folks will come to the dining room like an hour after the meal starts to fetch all the kiddos so the parents can enjoy the rest of their meal. Maybe that would help with your little wiggly man. I know I never would've attempted that long of a meal with the boys when they were Oliver's age. And they were both typically pretty good with restaurants.

Atlantis is such a blast! I know we would like to go again, too. And the cabanas...ooohhh...I'm so hooked. Gonna be hard to go back to CC without one!

Thanks for reading, Angie! I can't wait to go on the next cruise so I can bring everyone on another adventure with us!!!

Kristia

Boy I am late to the party! I am having a heck of a time getting all caught up on all the great trip reports! I know that there was a lot I was going to comment on but I didn't write anything down of course... Looks like you guys had an awesome time!

The Mixology course looked really neat even though we aren't big drinkers. The Mudslide look soooo yummy. My hubbie has been sloshed more than once on Alabama Slammers. They are not a cheap drink to make at home as they need about 6 different kinds of alcohol! :eek: Believe me, he looked into it. They are like drinking fruit punch.

You sound like I felt at Palo when we went in April. I felt so out of place and it was so difficult to understand the waiter. Where I come from we don't have hillbillies, we have pineys. My family as a lot of pineys lol! You can take the girl out of the pines but not the pines out of the girl! The longer dinner went on. the more comfortable I felt but it still felt odd. Hell, even in the regular dining rooms it seemed fancy lol! Your descriptions on the cheeses cracked me up!

The Cabanas look heavenly. I don't know if we will ever be able to pony up the money for them unless we go on a cruise with friends and can split the cost. Or we can hope we meet totally awesome, generous people like you guys who invite us to join them in their cabana! Now that you put that on a public forum you may have a lot of cruise stalkers trying to buddy up with you to get some cabana time! ;)

meganw1985

Ok. I havent read the whole thing yet. Im waaaay behind and going to take me a while.
First things first, I <3 your husband! How wonderful for him to surprise you with this trip!! (And even consider buying you 2 Dooney's!) My husband is the same way. He works his tail off day in and day out, and I stay home with the kids, and he would give me the moon and let himself starve if that's what I wanted. I just love your relationship. So much love, I can feel it! Lol.
So awesome you guys got "away". I guess that is definitely a perk of your kids being older. Not as much "mommy guilt" maybe? I'm sure you missed them though. I can't get away for a stinkin night!
Girls cruise. I wanna go so badly! Not sure if i could get someone to come with me though. And don't get me wrong. I know all you ladies are probably a blast, but travelling with strangers may beslightly awkward? Idk. Im dying to get on this ship!
Now to continue reading.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Boy I am late to the party! I am having a heck of a time getting all caught up on all the great trip reports! I know that there was a lot I was going to comment on but I didn't write anything down of course... Looks like you guys had an awesome time!

The Mixology course looked really neat even though we aren't big drinkers. The Mudslide look soooo yummy. My hubbie has been sloshed more than once on Alabama Slammers. They are not a cheap drink to make at home as they need about 6 different kinds of alcohol! :eek: Believe me, he looked into it. They are like drinking fruit punch.

You sound like I felt at Palo when we went in April. I felt so out of place and it was so difficult to understand the waiter. Where I come from we don't have hillbillies, we have pineys. My family as a lot of pineys lol! You can take the girl out of the pines but not the pines out of the girl! The longer dinner went on. the more comfortable I felt but it still felt odd. Hell, even in the regular dining rooms it seemed fancy lol! Your descriptions on the cheeses cracked me up!

The Cabanas look heavenly. I don't know if we will ever be able to pony up the money for them unless we go on a cruise with friends and can split the cost. Or we can hope we meet totally awesome, generous people like you guys who invite us to join them in their cabana! Now that you put that on a public forum you may have a lot of cruise stalkers trying to buddy up with you to get some cabana time! ;)

I know the feeling! I see so many TRs going up and I want to read them all but there's no way I can. Ugh!

We did have an awesome time! I knew it was going to be great..how could it not be? But it ended up being so much better than I ever thought it could be!

Mixology was so cool. It was a LOT for a lightweight like me but I managed like a champ, I think. I've been totally obsessed with the Lemon Drop Martini since the cruise. We were at Twin Peaks (do NOT ask, it was NOT my choice!) last week and I couldn't help but order 2. As good as they were, they weren't as good as the one Suelen made. I found a recipe online for them. Just need to get up to the package store to buy the ingredients. Then again, every time I sit in a restaurant and start eyeballing the drinky-drinks since the cruise Tracey gives me this sideways look.... hhmmmm....

There wasn't a lot of middle ground with those cheeses at Remy. They were either really good or totally awful. I'm happy I tried them, tho. I generally love cheese!

The cabana was beyond description. Just amazing! This Friday night our booking window opens for the January cruise we have booked. I'm gonna be online trying to score another one. This time will be the family beach. I was actually dreaming about it this morning. LOL! I'm a little shell-shocked at the thought of that price which is $100 more than the Serenity Bay cabanas. I'm kinda laying low in the cruise group waiting to see if another family with teenagers jumps in. We *may* see if another family wants to split with us to make it less expensive for everyone. That is such a funny thought: people stalking us to be our friends to score a cabana invite! That's hilarious! I suppose if someone can tolerate us then they've earned it! LOL!

Thanks for reading!

Ok. I havent read the whole thing yet. Im waaaay behind and going to take me a while.
First things first, I <3 your husband! How wonderful for him to surprise you with this trip!! (And even consider buying you 2 Dooney's!) My husband is the same way. He works his tail off day in and day out, and I stay home with the kids, and he would give me the moon and let himself starve if that's what I wanted. I just love your relationship. So much love, I can feel it! Lol.
So awesome you guys got "away". I guess that is definitely a perk of your kids being older. Not as much "mommy guilt" maybe? I'm sure you missed them though. I can't get away for a stinkin night!
Girls cruise. I wanna go so badly! Not sure if i could get someone to come with me though. And don't get me wrong. I know all you ladies are probably a blast, but travelling with strangers may beslightly awkward? Idk. Im dying to get on this ship!
Now to continue reading.

Awwww...yeah...my old man is adorable! He just sent me a text that screams of his sweetness (<--that's what I call him): "Was just listening to Pixar soundtrack and seems like yesterday we saw nemo in the theater and the kids were small then. Chandler 5. Brian 3. Choked me up." He's too sweet! I told him he should spend all day with them a few days listening to their bickering nd he'll be over that. LOL!

When the boys were in middle school we "escaped" for a 10 day trip to WDW. My mom stayed with the boys for us. They were a little more shell-shocked at the thought of us going on a Disney adventure without them then but I explained to them that moms & dads need to have the time together for the benefit of their relationship and for the family overall. They weren't mad then and seemed much more settled with it once I explained it. This trip neither of them even hesitated. They were extremely excited for us to spend the time together. It definitely gets easier as they get older. Plus, getting away is a great motivation to raise/teach them to be responsible and be able to take care of themselves. We told them they could stay home alone while we were gone because we're confident they would be fine overnight with my in-laws checking-in on them. The oldest refused! Shocked us! At his age I would've been like, "Yeeeeesssss!!!!!" LOL! He said he wasn't quite ready for that so Tracey's mom came to stay with them during the nights. So cute!

Eh, we have so much going on to "get to know" each other prior to the girls cruise I feel like when we all embark on our cruise we'll be old friends. To me, it's all part of the adventure. I see where you're coming from. In 2009 I traveled to a Cabbage Patch collector's event and roomed with an online "friend" who I had never met before in person. Imagine trying to find someone you've never seen before in Atlanta's airport! We split a rental car and hotel room for 5 nights. Ended up being incredible. We had so much in common it was like finding a long-lost twin. We had the best time ever. Loved it. I guess that makes me feel a lot less unsure about traveling with strangers. It's all part of the adventure of it. If my roomies end up being a little flaky it's okay. It's a big ship. I'll can ditch 'em. Somehow, I don't think that will be a problem. :D Give it some thought. Tammy has a list of people who are still looking for roomies and she's done a bang-up job of puting people together. It's definitely an affordable way to try cruising with Mickey!

javy2004

very awesome TR! i hadn't read one for a cruise yet so this was cool to see what a Disney cruise would be like (especially the stuff geared towards adults). you guys crammed so much in 3 days. no wonder you were so tired after. i've only done one cruise through Carnaval back in 2005 (family reunion type of occasion, we were about 60 deep. so much fun), but this pretty much let me know for sure that i want to do a Disney cruise next (especially since you can bring in your own alcohol. i imagine its nice when you want a drink and don't want to leave your room). it was all very magical, fun, funny and sweet :D

Dizdutch

We went straight up to the concierge lounge. We walked in and ran smack into Andreia, the concierge CM who was assigned to us on the Magic in May! She made such a fuss, kisses on the cheeks & hugs. She was so excited to see us. Asked about the boys then laughed when we told her we left them at home. She said, "It feels like only yesterday you were here....." Right about then I noticed the rest of the room had gone dead silent and all the other guests were looking at us like, "Wow. Who are those people?" Not to worry, folks. It's just us. Nothing special. LOL! So we had a seat and ordered some (free!) cocktails. Woot! The lounge is so pretty! I had to be un-couth to the utmost and snap a pic of the skylight in the center of the room. It's so gorgeous!

file-29.jpg

Andreia came back over to explain all the concierge offerings on the Dream. She brought over Olivier from Remy to discuss the details for our upcoming dinner reservation there. He offered to hold a nice window table for us. So sweet! We also booked a Mixology class for tomorrow, Nassau day, at 4:00.

We didn't hang around too long. We were so eager to explore! Even tho we were on this ship just a year ago there seemed like so much we didn't see. There was no way we were going to stay nailed down to our chairs...not even for all the free drinky-drinks the bartenders were willing to fix us. Our first thought was to find some lunch but I was too excited to eat so we kept moving.

At some point we bumped into another familiar friend:

file.jpg

I was dying to see the inside of the Oceaneer's Club during open house. No, we had no kids with us and even if we did they were way too old for these spaces. But, it's open house so anyone can go check it out...even big kids like us! This was my goal: Tracey and his favorite character to channel...

file-1.jpg

And a nice CM was onhand to snap a pic of both of us with Rex:

file-2.jpg

Hey! It's Mike Wazowski! With ONE EYE!!!

file-3.jpg

Oh and there's a Nemo's submarine room! Yes, ladies. This one is....

...wait for iiiiiit...

Mine! Mine! MINE!

file-4.jpg

LOL! I couldn't not do it. Sorry. :p

Oh! Can ya see anything in there, Tracey?

file-5.jpg

It's actually a live webcam view off the bridge!

file-6.jpg

I bet if Tracey could get in here when we're docking at port he'd be the big kid hogging the periscope. Ha!

Then we went up to the Outlook Lounge. This is the top-most spot you can go on the ship. It's midship, deck 14. The space is used for weddings, receptions, and the Friends of Bill W. meetings every morning. I jacked with the color on this one so you could see the room decor and not just the bright sunlight outside:

file-7.jpg

Looks like they were all set for the morning meeting because there was a copy of this book on each table.

file-8.jpg

How do I know the significance of all this? My Grampa was a veeeery long-time friend of Bill W. & Dr. Bob. He had over 40 years with them when he passed. I have been to many meetings with my Grampa and on my own in my younger years. Bill W. & Dr. Bob are important fellows in our family, for sure.

We did stop long enough to eat a light lunch at Flo's V8 Cafe but I didn't take a picture. Wish I had. I loved my Greek wraps and panini. Mmmmm!!!!

Then, it was time for the staterooms to be READY! Here we goooooo....stateroom 11006 on deck 11 (behind the gate)...

file-9.jpg

We scanned our key and the door swung open all by itself! Whaaaaa???? Here's the video tour I took a few minutes later:

I know I sound awful. Took the video mostly because when we called to tell Chandler we got the upgrade he demanded we bring him a video of it. LOL!

What an amazing room! I have been on a dozen cruises and always get the room with a balcony. I have to try this, if only for the larger shower.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
What an amazing room! I have been on a dozen cruises and always get the room with a balcony. I have to try this, if only for the larger shower.

Remember, it was a handicap accessible room so that's why that shower was so ginormous. I wanted the big tub so bad but having a shower that big didn't make it feel like quite as much of a loss. The verandah was the best part of the room. Looooved the bump-out!

Nothing like reading a trip report while listening to Disney music.

Amen!

One of the greatest trip reports I've ever read. I should send you $ because I felt I was with you.

Awwww...so glad you enjoyed it. If you felt like you were with us then my job is done. That's what I'm always shooting for! Thanks so much for coming along with us!

erstwo

Sweetpee - I had to resurrect this thread because I read this entire trip report on my phone (thank goodness for the WDWmagic app!) one day while waiting for one of my children to finish sports/ballet/art/music/whateveritwas. And it was fantastic!

I'm so sorry that it has been so long I can't comment on many specifics, but I loved your room and your story about how you got your upgrade! Every once in a while I think about gifting the hubster with a cruise (he loves them I do not) and I'll remember that tip if I ever do! Great upgrade!

I also really enjoyed reading about Remy. My husband is a foodie, but I am not so I'm always tucking away suggestions like that for places to take him to eat! On a non trip report note - Have you ever done Victoria and Alberts? We will be at WDW near our 10 year anniversary and I thought of booking this for him (and while I'd rather he go alone.... I guess at this point, 10 years in, I'll have to go with him - even if I'd rather be eating a burger and fries :D ) Does it compare to Remy? Thoughts?

And Atlantis! I do love me some Atlantis. If you really like it, you should get on their email list and go! They send out specials all the time. Except for that bridge suite. Pretty sure there are no discounts on that place. :D

So glad you had a great trip!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Sweetpee - I had to resurrect this thread because I read this entire trip report on my phone (thank goodness for the WDWmagic app!) one day while waiting for one of my children to finish sports/ballet/art/music/whateveritwas. And it was fantastic!

I'm so sorry that it has been so long I can't comment on many specifics, but I loved your room and your story about how you got your upgrade! Every once in a while I think about gifting the hubster with a cruise (he loves them I do not) and I'll remember that tip if I ever do! Great upgrade!

I also really enjoyed reading about Remy. My husband is a foodie, but I am not so I'm always tucking away suggestions like that for places to take him to eat! On a non trip report note - Have you ever done Victoria and Alberts? We will be at WDW near our 10 year anniversary and I thought of booking this for him (and while I'd rather he go alone.... I guess at this point, 10 years in, I'll have to go with him - even if I'd rather be eating a burger and fries :D ) Does it compare to Remy? Thoughts?

And Atlantis! I do love me some Atlantis. If you really like it, you should get on their email list and go! They send out specials all the time. Except for that bridge suite. Pretty sure there are no discounts on that place. :D

So glad you had a great trip!

Well thanks for reading!

Port upgrades are so awesome. We've cruised 3 times and hit the port upgrades twice. :p

We've never done V&A's. There's lots of people who have and they say the overall experience is comparable. Plus, the main chef person from V&A's (Chef Hunnel) is one of the two chefs who creates the menus at Remy. So, yes, I do believe it's comparable. Definitely go. It's something worth trying for sure. I like to think my visit at Remy made the evening a little more entertaining for our server (at the very least) once I relaxed and was more myself in all my un-classy glory. LOL!

I didn't know Atlantis had a mailing list but it makes sense. Everyone has mailing lists these days. I'll have to go check that out. Love it there. Yeah, prob'ly not likely to score the MJ Suite/bridge suite with a discount. Sure would be cool if it could be done. LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom