You know your on a WDW road trip when...

sbkline

This thread is to discuss the classic sites that make a road trip to "the World" memorable.

For me, coming down from Central Illinois, one of the things that is a classic part of a trip to WDW is the site of a Waffle House at nearly every exit past Kentucky. We only have one or two in Illinois, so it isn't something that I see very often. But once you hit that first Waffle House at exit 86 on I-24 through Kentucky, you know you're on your way. :lol:

Another site, although we would never ever stop in and visit this den of iniquity, is Cafe Risque in Georgia. You see signs for that place about 50 miles out, and once you get past that first billboard, you see them frequently until you pass the exit.

Then, there are the beautiful sites of the mountains as you head towards Chattanooga.

So what about everyone else. What sites do you associate with a road trip to WDW?

Migs31091

• When you see Cracker Barrel and Waffle House signs at every other exit.
  • When you see South Of The Border.
  • When you see Universal Studios.
  • When you see the billboards for WDW and Universal.
-Migs

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

I know that I am on the way once I get south of Macon Georgia. The real excitment builds once we hit I-4 in Orlando.
that and the Big Chicken in Marietta, GA.
The big chicken is located off of US 41, you can't see it from I-75. Its a local Atlanta landmark, such as go two miles past the big chicken, and its on the right.
big_chicken_sm.jpg

Upvote 0

sambahat

I know that I am on the way once I get south of Macon Georgia. The real excitment builds once we hit I-4 in Orlando.

The big chicken is located off of US 41, you can't see it from I-75. Its a local Atlanta landmark, such as go two miles past the big chicken, and its on the right.
big_chicken_sm.jpg

Nice shot! Actually, you can see it from I-75, but only going South and in daylight. I'll see if I can find the mile marker and post.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
you're thinking of the cafe risque between ocala and gainesville right?

I don't recall two of them, so I must be thinking of the one you're talking about. I could have sworn it was by Valdosta, GA. But it's been a couple years since my last trip, so I must just be remembering wrong. I guess I'll find out in a couple months.

Upvote 0

POOHKILLEDTOAD

I don't recall two of them, so I must be thinking of the one you're talking about. I could have sworn it was by Valdosta, GA. But it's been a couple years since my last trip, so I must just be remembering wrong. I guess I'll find out in a couple months.

i believe it's a chain. i know for a fact theres one outside gainesville cause eveytime we pass it on the way to my parents, my wife asks, "why would someone want to stop there? it looks so dirty!"

Upvote 0

pescador1f

from north jersey...
never stop but seeing cracker barrel signs...
bad drivers all the way from home through maryland.....
cheaper cigarettes......
mostly pleasant driving conditions and especially roads,(better than n.j. & n.y.)
phillip morris...
south of the border signs........
the palm trees.......
bill murrays caddyshack joing & finally the big harley store..... by this time i know i will be in a park within a couple hours.......

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
i believe it's a chain. i know for a fact theres one outside gainesville cause eveytime we pass it on the way to my parents, my wife asks, "why would someone want to stop there? it looks so dirty!"

It could be a chain, but like I said, I must be remembering wrong, because I have no memory of driving by two of them. I just remember seeing the signs for the joint all the way into Georgia, then finally driving by the place. I'm sure I would remember seeing two of them if there were two. And since I take 75 all the way from Chattanooga to the Florida Turnpike, I know that I drive by Ocala and Gainseville and I know I drive by a Cafe Risque, so it must be the one you're talking about.

Upvote 0

Dangeresque

It could be a chain, but like I said, I must be remembering wrong, because I have no memory of driving by two of them. I just remember seeing the signs for the joint all the way into Georgia, then finally driving by the place. I'm sure I would remember seeing two of them if there were two. And since I take 75 all the way from Chattanooga to the Florida Turnpike, I know that I drive by Ocala and Gainseville and I know I drive by a Cafe Risque, so it must be the one you're talking about.

Cafe Risques are in Warner Robbins GA and Micanopy FL

"We Bare All"

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
Cafe Risques are in Warner Robbins GA and Micanopy FL

"We Bare All"

And are both of those right off of I-75 and visible from the interstate?

I really need to keep my eye out for both of them on this next trip. NOT because we want to stop, mind you. But I honestly just don't remember seeing two of them.

Upvote 0

POOHKILLEDTOAD

And are both of those right off of I-75 and visible from the interstate?

I really need to keep my eye out for both of them on this next trip. NOT because we want to stop, mind you. But I honestly just don't remember seeing two of them.

i know the one outside of ocala is, it's on the left if your are heading south towards the turnpike.

Upvote 0

Mia319

We too drive all the way from Illinois (chicago suburbs)... here is how we know we are getting close:

1. the weather goes from freezing to sweltering hot
2. "best shakes in town" as said by a McDonalds worker in the middle of rural kentucky.
3. "rocks falling" signs in tennesse
4. pecans, peaches, and orange juice
5. hearing nothing but country music on the radio
6. and of course...
Dsc00301.jpg

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

For all of you who like seeing the Ron John billboards for Cocoa Beach, do you actually stop? I live near "the origianal" Ron John in Long Beach Island NJ, and ours closes at 7 in the winter. I've read that the one in FL is open 24 hours, and i just wanted to know if it was true. I'd love to stop in at 3am one morning! Ron John is just the greatest!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom