You know your on a WDW road trip when...

sbkline

This thread is to discuss the classic sites that make a road trip to "the World" memorable.

For me, coming down from Central Illinois, one of the things that is a classic part of a trip to WDW is the site of a Waffle House at nearly every exit past Kentucky. We only have one or two in Illinois, so it isn't something that I see very often. But once you hit that first Waffle House at exit 86 on I-24 through Kentucky, you know you're on your way. :lol:

Another site, although we would never ever stop in and visit this den of iniquity, is Cafe Risque in Georgia. You see signs for that place about 50 miles out, and once you get past that first billboard, you see them frequently until you pass the exit.

Then, there are the beautiful sites of the mountains as you head towards Chattanooga.

So what about everyone else. What sites do you associate with a road trip to WDW?

WDWRLD

We live and travel down I-95 from Virginia. The ones I always look for are....

-The billboards for South Of The Border
-The Log Cabin House building place
-The big Airforce plane that was added a few years ago
-The first palm trees at the South Carolina line
-Florida Welcome Center and the "fresh" reconstituted Orange Juice and the Disney Brochures
-The Palm Coast exit (stayed there many times)
-The I-4 and Daytona Beach exit.
-The Disney billboards and traffic on I-4
-And the best one.....the casting building and then the Walt Disney World archway.

Upvote 0

Dagger

I flew the last 3 trips, but I was a Floridian for the first decade of my life so I recall the tourist shops that sell shell items, orange perfume and of course the candied nuts... also, when you cross over the border to Florida when driving, it's instantly and amazingly about 20 degrees hotter

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

Having driven I-95 so many times from VA we look for...

- The South of the Border billboards
- The billboards for GA peaches in SC and FL oranges in GA
- The FL state line, then realizing that once we hit Jacksonville, we still have a little while to go
- The exit for I-4
- The billboards for Daytona Beach stuff (Ron Jon Surf Shop!!)
- Finally getting to Orlando then realizing there's still about a half-hour or so left
- All of the WDW and Universal billboards (these are what I can't wait to see on I-4!)
- The exits for WDW, then the archway
- And finally, those wonderful purple directional signs as you find your resort :D

Upvote 0

jmani56

Oh yea, you know you're getting close when you see the Ron John Surf shop billboards. The one that is split in half across the freeway is pretty cool. Once you hit I-4 and you are in that home stretch, there a thousand awesome landmarks that I remember. Disney billboards, Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine, thousands of outlets lol etc.

Upvote 0

VT GAL

Having driven I-95 so many times from VA we look for...

- The South of the Border billboards
- The billboards for GA peaches in SC and FL oranges in GA
- The FL state line, then realizing that once we hit Jacksonville, we still have a little while to go
- The exit for I-4
- The billboards for Daytona Beach stuff (Ron Jon Surf Shop!!)
- Finally getting to Orlando then realizing there's still about a half-hour or so left
- All of the WDW and Universal billboards (these are what I can't wait to see on I-4!)
- The exits for WDW, then the archway
- And finally, those wonderful purple directional signs as you find your resort :D

We live and travel down I-95 from Virginia. The ones I always look for are....

-The billboards for South Of The Border
-The Log Cabin House building place
-The big Airforce plane that was added a few years ago
-The first palm trees at the South Carolina line
-Florida Welcome Center and the "fresh" reconstituted Orange Juice and the Disney Brochures
-The Palm Coast exit (stayed there many times)
-The I-4 and Daytona Beach exit.
-The Disney billboards and traffic on I-4
-And the best one.....the casting building and then the Walt Disney World archway.

That about sums it up!

My favorite South of the Border Sign is...

"You Never Sausage a Place (You're Always a Weiner at Pedro's)"

It always makes me laugh!!! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

For us (driving from NJ) it's

-Cracker Barrel for three meals a day for the two day drive
-Of course stopping at South of the Border and buying cool stuff (and fireworks!)
-The Cafe Risque and JR's discount billboards
-Florida rest stop!
-and our new one, Western Way, and seeing the MK skyline as you drive by.

Upvote 0

lcsrig

We always fly, but please keep 'em coming. I am thinking about driving down this summer for a long weekend and I want something to look forward to!

Upvote 0

sambahat

Although it's more subtle than a particular landmark, it's the sun rising over the farm lands in south Georgia. The kids are still asleep so it's very quiet and peaceful... usually at that point, everything that's been going on in my life (work, the stress, the deadlines) all just melts away.

...sigh...

that and the Big Chicken in Marietta, GA.

Upvote 0

pinkrose

Getting off of I-65 in Montgomery to 213. Driving through the rinky "speed trap" towns and finally seeing the ramp for I-10. This is the longest stretch of the trip to me. Then we finally see the turn off for I-75 :sohappy: Not too long after that! (Well, it doesn't seem long)

I always know we're getting there when we start seeing the "We Bare All" billboards for that truckstop place. :hurl:

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

Is that the one on the water tank?

Dont forget that construction going on in in Florida on 95 and I-4. Thats a landmark thats been going on for years....and years.....and years.

My question is who stops at the same gas stations every trip. Those are landmarks for me....granted the ones on the way down are more fun than ones on the way back.

Upvote 0

pinkrose

Is that the one on the water tank?

Dont forget that construction going on in in Florida on 95 and I-4. Thats a landmark thats been going on for years....and years.....and years.

My question is who stops at the same gas stations every trip. Those are landmarks for me....granted the ones on the way down are more fun than ones on the way back.

We do! Same places for potty stops too.

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

Oh yea..theres that "other" theme park on I-4...What was the name of that....oh well all I know about it is that when I pass it Im getting close to Disney!!

I also heard that there is a power pole farther down I-4 towards Tampa that is in the shape of a Hidden Mickey..How come we dont have one of those on the northern side of the Magic?

Upvote 0

sbkline

Original Poster
Although it's more subtle than a particular landmark, it's the sun rising over the farm lands in south Georgia. The kids are still asleep so it's very quiet and peaceful... usually at that point, everything that's been going on in my life (work, the stress, the deadlines) all just melts away.

...sigh...

Yes, I miss the trips when we would start out at around 3 PM (CST) and drive straight through all night long. Dawn would be breaking in Southern Georgia just coming up to the state line. *sigh* Alas, the wife has since put her foot down and said no more driving straight through. :(

I actually don't remember that one. I'll have to keep my eye out for it this time.

So where are you coming from, if you're coming down through Georgia?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom