You know what drives me absolutely insane???

musketeer

Original Poster
Of all the things that people complain about on here, MY personal biggest issue that drives me nuts is the gates into the hotels. Can't they make gates that don't take 3 hours to open?

SeaCastle

grinds-my-gears1.jpg

Are you referring to the gates you drive through to get to the hotel main entrance?

fosse76

Of all the things that people complain about on here, MY personal biggest issue that drives me nuts is the gates into the hotels. Can't they make gates that don't take 3 hours to open?

The gates are constantly being opened and closed all day, so the only reason I can think of to have them open slowly is that maybe they don't require as much maintenance than if they opened quickly.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The gates are constantly being opened and closed all day, so the only reason I can think of to have them open slowly is that maybe they don't require as much maintenance than if they opened quickly.

I also think its done to prevent people darting through. When it's as slow as it is, it promotes calm passage. Thats my theory anyway :)

the_princess

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:
Glad Im not the only one whose mind went there...

The only place I understand the gates (sometimes) is Shades of Green, and that just because they do ID checks, or so the sign last time I went there. I didnt get ID when I walked on but there was a guard in the little gaurd house when I was there two years ago IDing some people in a car it looked like. Maybe Disney is trying to train us all to hurry up and wait.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I also think its done to prevent people darting through. When it's as slow as it is, it promotes calm passage. Thats my theory anyway :)
I have a friend in Dallas that works for a company that installs gates like the ones at the resorts at airports, hotels etc. According to him your theory is correct. It also does save a good bit of wear and tear but that is more of a nice side effect to slowing down the gate lift speed.

Timekeeper

My experience has been the opposite. For example, many drivers consider speedbumps to be an annoyance and - as a result - drive faster down the road between each speedbump than they might normally have driven through the area without the speedbumps; as if to make up for the lost time of having to slow down. :shrug:

Timekeeper

Ironically, slower-moving gates defeat the purpose of having a gate in the first place (to restrict/record access). I'm sure that most of us who have been to a gated community have either (1) had another driver follow us in, (2) followed another driver in, or (3) witnessed another driver doing it - while the gate is still "open" for the first driver. So long as there is adequate in/out traffic, what's the point? :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom