You have a wreaking ball, what would you knock down on the WDW property

Poncho1973

Just a couple of comments and thoughts of my own...

Pop Century... a lot of people seem really down on it AND the All-Star Resorts. These seem to be the same people that are against the cutbacks & lack of expansion. I don't think you realize the importance of Value Resorts. The people that would normally stay on I-Drive or 192 because of $$$ now have a viable choice for staying on Disney Property. People who DON'T spend money on I-Drive or 192 are pumping more money into the Disney economy. More guests, more money and more expansion. It's a simple equation.

My family came here EVERY SINGLE year as a child from Ohio and we never stayed at a Disney Resort until I moved to Florida in 1997. Why? Because my family couldn't afford it. My parents saved just to COME HERE every year. For us, it was the cheapest CLEAN motel they could find. If the value resorts would've been around, we would have had an option.

Kids love the theming. ASK THEM! My neices and nephews BEG to stay at All-Star Movies or Sports (they don't like Music, but I do) and when they stayed at Caribbean Beach & Coronado Springs last year they cried for All-Star. Next summer they intend on staying at Pop Century. If you don't like it, don't stay there... it is an EASY answer for you... you OBVIOUSLY aren't the intended market, so go somewhere "nicer" like AK Lodge or Grand Floridian or you could "slum it" and stay at Coronado Springs.

Personally, I despise the big words on the buildings. MANY people despise the big words on the buildings. If enough people despise them, they will come down in a hurry BUT the rest of the theming is awesome! As someone who has been "on-site" more times than you can shake a stick at, it's incredible what they've done. The pools are insanely cool. I can't wait to see the finished "Route 66" pool (I collect Route 66 memorabilia so I'm biased there) and the other elements. The icons are gawdy, but they fit so well... we just need them to see the stupidity of the words.

If I could use the wrecking ball on anything it would be the Speedway thru Toon Town to Ariel's Grotto (not the Grotto, but up to it) including the lagoon. Toon Town is a SUPERIOR idea, but it's almost junky in appearance to me and I cringe at the thought of the real estate involved in 20K and the world's most expensive character greeting. Wipe it out and make a better Toon Town somewhere else. Use this land from Space Mt to Ariel as a new land. The speedway isn't environmentally friendly and more importantly is such a "small town fair" kiddie park attraction anyway.

Just my $0.02
Poncho

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Poncho1973
If I could destroy anything it would be the Speedway thru Toon Town to Ariel's Grotto (not the Grotto, but up to it) including the lagoon. Toon Town is a SUPERIOR idea, but it's almost junky in appearance to me and I cringe at the thought of the real estate involved in 20K and the world's most expensive character greeting. Wipe it out and make a better Toon Town somewhere else. Use this land from Space Mt to Ariel as a new land. The speedway isn't environmentally friendly and more importantly is such a "small town fair" kiddie park attraction anyway.

Just my $0.02
Poncho

I agree with you on your ideas, Poncho. It's been said many times before, but the ToonTown in Disneyland is very superior to its Disney World counterpart. Although Mickey's and Minnnie's houses are well designed, there is not enough in the land, and it is very much geared toward children and not enough toward families. They could use all that land you described to build a new toontown, or else build it at MGM like they designed before (minus Roger Rabbit).

As for the speedway, it sounds like the Autopia in Disneyland is getting good reviews. Hopefuly Disney is taking note of this...

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Poncho1973
Just a couple of comments and thoughts of my own...

Pop Century... a lot of people seem really down on it AND the All-Star Resorts. These seem to be the same people that are against the cutbacks & lack of expansion. I don't think you realize the importance of Value Resorts. The people that would normally stay on I-Drive or 192 because of $$$ now have a viable choice for staying on Disney Property. People who DON'T spend money on I-Drive or 192 are pumping more money into the Disney economy. More guests, more money and more expansion. It's a simple equation.

My family came here EVERY SINGLE year as a child from Ohio and we never stayed at a Disney Resort until I moved to Florida in 1997. Why? Because my family couldn't afford it. My parents saved just to COME HERE every year. For us, it was the cheapest CLEAN motel they could find. If the value resorts would've been around, we would have had an option.

Kids love the theming. ASK THEM! My neices and nephews BEG to stay at All-Star Movies or Sports (they don't like Music, but I do) and when they stayed at Caribbean Beach & Coronado Springs last year they cried for All-Star. Next summer they intend on staying at Pop Century. If you don't like it, don't stay there... it is an EASY answer for you... you OBVIOUSLY aren't the intended market, so go somewhere "nicer" like AK Lodge or Grand Floridian or you could "slum it" and stay at Coronado Springs.

Personally, I despise the big words on the buildings. MANY people despise the big words on the buildings. If enough people despise them, they will come down in a hurry BUT the rest of the theming is awesome! As someone who has been "on-site" more times than you can shake a stick at, it's incredible what they've done. The pools are insanely cool. I can't wait to see the finished "Route 66" pool (I collect Route 66 memorabilia so I'm biased there) and the other elements. The icons are gawdy, but they fit so well... we just need them to see the stupidity of the words.

If I could use the wrecking ball on anything it would be the Speedway thru Toon Town to Ariel's Grotto (not the Grotto, but up to it) including the lagoon. Toon Town is a SUPERIOR idea, but it's almost junky in appearance to me and I cringe at the thought of the real estate involved in 20K and the world's most expensive character greeting. Wipe it out and make a better Toon Town somewhere else. Use this land from Space Mt to Ariel as a new land. The speedway isn't environmentally friendly and more importantly is such a "small town fair" kiddie park attraction anyway.

Just my $0.02
Poncho

Hey...have you ever heard of the word OPINION???

Ease up buddy...people are just saying what THEY (as an individual) do not like. I'm happy for you if you like the All-Star theming...I FOR ONE DO NOT...and it is my right as a human being to have a NEGATIVE opinion if I choose to. I know that you weren't directing it to me specifically but I just have to say that this is a friendly forum and you shouldn't be criticizing people on their opinions.

Sorry...stepping down off of the soapbox.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

I agree with you on your ideas, Poncho. It's been said many times before, but the ToonTown in Disneyland is very superior to its Disney World counterpart. Although Mickey's and Minnnie's houses are well designed, there is not enough in the land, and it is very much geared toward children and not enough toward families. They could use all that land you described to build a new toontown, or else build it at MGM like they designed before (minus Roger Rabbit).

As for the speedway, it sounds like the Autopia in Disneyland is getting good reviews. Hopefuly Disney is taking note of this...

I definitely agree with Poncho also...Toontown is a "children's area" not a "family area" (and although I haven't been to DL, it seems like their Toontown is 100% better)

cruiseman

I know its fun to stop there when your hot for a twenty minute sit down ride but i wouldnt have a problem getting rid of small world

Scooter

I'd drop a wrecking ball on The Country Bear Jamboree so no one would ever have to listen to that horrible music and see those pitiful, outdated audio-animatronics and that long, boring show again.

Can ya TELL it's not one of my favorite attractions? :lol:

djmatthews

I would knock down:
Swan & Dolphin
Epcot Sign
Leave a Legacy Tiles
The Hat (or at least move it)
Skyway stations and 20,00 Lagoon (they are a waste of space)
Odessy Building

RobFL

Account Suspended
The Odyssey is a very "function" building from a backstage perspective. I guess the guest area could be redone and rebuilt without much interuption of the backstage going-ons.

-Rob

Michael72688

I'm sorry, your all just people who want to see Disney as it used to be, and not what it could be! It is going to stay the same for ever! :dazzle:

disneyreports

Originally posted by Spectroman17

You're nuts thats what makes the monarail

Well, the concept of the monorail going through a resort is amazing... The problem is that the Contemporary well, isn't very contemporary anymore... I know they have tried to modernize the building several times, but I feel that it has gotten to a point that no amount of surface changes can bring the building back to its, once futuristic, appearance...

General Grizz

Oh, sorry you don't like Old Western Americana. EH, oh well. But I'm not quite sure what you mean...so YOU don't have to do it, or you said you would do it so "no one else does"...this implies you'd like to ruin a trip?? 'Wasn't sure about that.

I wouldn't want to close Test Track for everyone to not ride it. That'd be really mean. I would close it and *add* more to it. It's quite an empty pavilion, and didn't meet up to its predecessor. There's room, there's room...

(The animatronics and sets are in tip top condition as of today, folks, as if they weren't...Full capacity shows, over 2,500 visits by 12 PM - each show was filled with clapping, singing, and a great ole hoedown! EH, I'll go post a trip report.)

When was the last time you saw the CBJ? 'Just out of curiosity; due to the term "pitiful". You probably went a day they were changing the digital systems.

wdw100

The spiders in the Haunted Mansion (When you are heading upstairs). The black light…. Not for the Haunted Mansion. Maybe another ride…

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Spectroman17

You're nuts thats what makes the monarail

Actually, it is also vice versa. (The monorail makes the Contemporary). The original architect of it didn't want the monorail going through, but Walt said that without running the monorail through it, it would be very bland. The monorail saved it!

cymbaldiva

Okay, whatever!:animwink: Point being, Contemporary has to be there because the Diva (that's me! :D ) has to stay there! I've been dreaming of it for as long as I can remember!

jamez

In Tomorrowland, in a restaurant (I do not remember the name), there is an AA Dino or Alien I think. It tells corny jokes and has a laugh track. My question... How are you supposed to eat while you listen to this crap? I would demolish that AA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom