You better travel to WDW now, 2011 going to get more expensive.

pax_65

As too alienating DVC and Passholders that is ridiculous. Disney caters to these solid repeat spenders. I am both and I get so many discounts and opportunities that I actually lose track of all of them. If anyone is getting the sweet deal it is DVC and PHer's.

I want to jump in and comment on this... I am a DVC member and an Annual Passholder, and I have no complaints! I just returned from a fantastic trip, one of my most enjoyable trips to WDW ever.

That said... once you buy into DVC, the value of that purchase depends somewhat on the value of hotel rooms in the resort. In other words, if you do the math and say "Does it make sense for me to buy into DVC or pay cash to stay in a Deluxe resort", the variables of that equation change when you factor in heavy discounting.

So if you look at it carefully, you could say that it's less of a good deal. (However, DVC accommodations are nicer than a Deluxe room IMHO so it's not an Apples to Apples comparison). I'm still not complaining, but the discounts definitely affect the value of your membership.

The same is true, to a lesser extent if you have an Annual Pass. You paid a big chunk of change for that pass... now you watch people get ridiculous package deals, you start to question the logic of buying the pass since you don't get the discounts everyone else is getting.

Something to think about, but I'm still a happy guy... and I can't wait to get back there in 2011.

sublimesting

The park is also a gigantic advertisement for it's movies. You can't quantify that effect even on people that don't spend money in the parks. There certainly are some people that go to Disney that most of the rest of us would prefer don't because of bad attitudes or hygene. However that does not mean all people on a tight budget are a problem. As we all know Disney wants as many people in the parks as possible regardless of how much they spend. I personally am fine with any one that wants to go being able to go. Too many people want the parks empty so it is easier for them. If that happens there will be no Disney World.
A giant ad for movies that have been out of theaters for several years?

Future Guy

Disney always increases their prices from year-to-year. And they've always charged Red Lobster prices for Burger King-quality food and Ritz-Carlton prices for Hampton Inn-quality hotel rooms. Nothing has changed. The recent spate of discounts were an aberration in the 40-year history of the Florida property.

Sure, there are folks who remember when a room at the Poly cost you $20 a night, and cheerful CMs would read you a story and tuck you in when you went to bed, but that was back when Richard Nixon was President and the inside of the Contemporary looked like this:

discocontemporary.png

fosse76

IThe same is true, to a lesser extent if you have an Annual Pass. You paid a big chunk of change for that pass... now you watch people get ridiculous package deals, you start to question the logic of buying the pass since you don't get the discounts everyone else is getting.

That only applies when there is no room-only discount. Disney doesn't really discount its admission tickets. The only exception that I can recall was to the 7 for 4 deal...but even that deal wasn't a significant savings on park admission alone. There's the kids play and eat free deal too...but that is a bit restrictive for a comparison.

LoriMistress

Disney always increases their prices from year-to-year. And they've always charged Red Lobster prices for Burger King-quality food and Ritz-Carlton prices for Hampton Inn-quality hotel rooms. Nothing has changed. The recent spate of discounts were an aberration in the 40-year history of the Florida property.

Sure, there are folks who remember when a room at the Poly cost you $20 a night, and cheerful CMs would read you a story and tuck you in when you went to bed, but that was back when Richard Nixon was President and the inside of the Contemporary looked like this:

discocontemporary.png
I wanna stay at that resort! Disco Stu says, "Studio 54, here I come!"

discostu.jpg

dixiegirl

Just like this ad...No Special Promotion, no discount, Just new rides and telling you Come to Disney!
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUXhuSqpzsU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUXhuSqpzsU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

Ahhhh good stuff! God I miss those days!

pax_65

That only applies when there is no room-only discount. Disney doesn't really discount its admission tickets. The only exception that I can recall was to the 7 for 4 deal...but even that deal wasn't a significant savings on park admission alone. There's the kids play and eat free deal too...but that is a bit restrictive for a comparison.

In general, the room-only discounts pale in comparison to the deals available with packages, be it 7 for 4, free dining or just % off.

If you have an annual pass or DVC, you don't need a package deal so you can't take advantage of the best deals available. From a strictly financial perspective, this diminishes, to some extent, the value of the AP or DVC. Having both, like I do, makes it that much worse.

I was so pleased with my last trip, I'm already making plans to return in 2011. But the discounts have made me much less enthusiastic about recommending DVC or AP to family & friends... so I agree with the post that continued heavy discounts will eventually hurt these programs.

dixiegirl

In general, the room-only discounts pale in comparison to the deals available with packages, be it 7 for 4, free dining or just % off.

If you have an annual pass or DVC, you don't need a package deal so you can't take advantage of the best deals available. From a strictly financial perspective, this diminishes, to some extent, the value of the AP or DVC. Having both, like I do, makes it that much worse.

I was so pleased with my last trip, I'm already making plans to return in 2011. But the discounts have made me much less enthusiastic about recommending DVC or AP to family & friends... so I agree with the post that continued heavy discounts will eventually hurt these programs.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!..Could not have said it better myself!
And yes I am both as well DVC member and AP:)!

mastif

Just read Disney's recent qtr results and our good friend Jay Rasulo said that the company is going to "Ween" us off the deep discounts and return to normal pricing as early as October 2010.

Great, maybe now there will be a "off season" an "ween" out the people that don't belong....well, i guess everyone belongs, but learn some manners before coming...

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Just read Disney's recent qtr results and our good friend Jay Rasulo said that the company is going to "Ween" us off the deep discounts and return to normal pricing as early as October 2010.

Ugh...I was hoping to squeak out one more buy 4 get 3 in 2011. Oh well...time to start eating mac and cheese and raman noodles. :veryconfu

Magical Dreamer

I just received a pin for November 2010 so I called to possibly make reservations.

Having the "pin" only discounted a 10 night stay for a family of 5 with standard dining and park hoppers ---> $98....

Excitment of receiving the pin was gone in a flash.

Bummer...........:confused:

geubux

discocontemporary.png

Actually, I remeber 1976 when the Contemporary was about 95-120 dollars a night and the HoJo off 192 was about 25 dollars a night. (we stayed HOJO) Hah! Of course, the MK was the only park and we were bored. Went two days and the only coaster was Space Mountain.

mls

Get rid of the kids too!

Right, how dare the plebians dream of visiting WDW?

Seriously. How dare people bring their kids? Don't they know Disney is for rich adults who enjoy paying full price for everything. Clearly the Dumbo ride was built for them.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Actually, I remeber 1976 when the Contemporary was about 95-120 dollars a night and the HoJo off 192 was about 25 dollars a night. (we stayed HOJO) Hah! Of course, the MK was the only park and we were bored. Went two days and the only coaster was Space Mountain.

I hate to be a stickler, but unless the rates more than doubled from 1972 to 1976 (which I highly doubt), there's no way the Contemporary cost $95-$120 a night in 1976. In 1972 a room in the tower was $44 a night. Like I said, I find it highly unlikely that the rate more than doubled in four years.

Cosmic Commando

You should be able to save more than that with a standard AAA discount. Why bother sending out a PIN for such a lousy deal? Of course, I also thought that for "Kids Stay, Play, and Eat Free" because two of those were essentially no discount at all.

audiotinker

I think they may be planning ahead for 2012 and 2013 when they are opening the new fantasyland expansion. They are hoping that this will draw more people in which case increasing the cost of entry over time prior would be a fiscally responsible thing to do considering their projection of increased park attendance in 2012.

kodastar

It was on the national news that come fall there will be no more discounts or incentives. They are dropping them all. They said profits are way up and they arent needing to do any.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom