Yeti news

Fable McCloud

I definitely think Disney had the plans to do the expansion, but perhaps the Universal Harry Potter park brought the expansion into the "let's do this right now" mindset.

Overall I'm looking forward to it.

Slowjack

And by just seeing it for a split flash, why bother if it's working, or heck, even a monitor?
I can see your point. At the same time, I agree with others that it's bad show with him standing motionless with the wind and the disco light.

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather that they all sit down and think of the best way to plus the attraction into something that would be effective and they could/would actually maintain. Maybe that means a new Yeti, maybe that means a simpler Yeti and getting the mist effects working, or something entirely new along the track somewhere.

Overall, I like EE, but that's mainly for the ride (it's my "level" of rollercoaster) and the quality of the queue. I don't feel the theming of the ride itself is at the level I expect for a Disney E-ticket.

floam

Yeti was made static mostly because large structural components kept cracking from fatigue and stress, time and time again. However, this was not the only problem. Yeti's arm moves over the ride path. On several occasions, small parts from inside the figure came loose, made their way down the arm and hit guests as a train would zoom by. There was no way to failsafe and prevent parts from shedding and striking a guest should they come loose. Fixing his mechanical problems would require a total structural redesign essentially meaning a new figure would have to be built, the current figure cut up, and carried down the mountain piece by piece. The new figure would also have to be carried up the steps one small piece at a time and assembled in place, or the mountain could be cut open and a new one dropped in with a large crane. In any event obviously this is an almost unimaginable rework at this late stage in the game. So it really has more to do with practical and safety concerns rather then money. There are many proposals on the table for restoring some partial movement to the arm, but at this stage they are basically engineering studies and internal conversations. None of which have received a go ahead.

Lucky

On several occasions, small parts from inside the figure came loose, made their way down the arm and hit guests as a train would zoom by. There was no way to failsafe and prevent parts from shedding and striking a guest should they come loose.
Well, he's supposed to be scary, isn't he?

MKCP 1985

Yeti's arm moves over the ride path. On several occasions, small parts from inside the figure came loose, made their way down the arm and hit guests as a train would zoom by.

THE VERY BEST part of the ride. :king: What is the problem with any of that? :lookaroun

(I knew I felt him gash me that one time. ;) )

wsmith1978

Ok guys, I have a dumb question. I've noticed a lot of discussion about this Yeti for a while now and without going back and reading page after page... what's the scoop on this guy? I rode this ride several times on 2 different trips to WDW, in Feb of '09 and Feb of '10. I never saw this Yeti. Where is it supposed to be? How big is it? Is in in a very dark area? Or am I blind/dumb? :lol:

azzureblue

Shut the entire thing down for a year and a half like they did Space Mountain. Face it; nobody goes to WDW and only goes to AK - not even locals. AK is a 1/2 day park at best, unless you're willing to venture off the beaten path. Shut down EE, fix the Yeti and MK, EP, and DHS can absorb the additional guests with ease.

People complain about a broken Yeti, but put up with..... a horrible "mine shaft" on the last climb hill of Thunder Mtn, broken screens/scenes galore on Test Track, AAs on Jungle Cruise that haven't worked for years, etc.

WDW will continue to do what's required to attract the "common guest" and get them to revisit a time or two over the course of their lives. We're the warped Disney junkies that expect perfection around every corner. That's just not reality - even if Walt were still alive today. Anyone remember opening day in 1955? Hardly what anyone would call perfection.

The challenge is to continuously improve the brand. As a timely approximation, the NY Yankees are good every year. Do they win 100 games or the World Series every year? No. But when their "hallowed grounds" start falling apart, they build a new stadium. When their coach doesn't gel with the team, they ship him off to LA and hire a new guy. It's a constant challenge to stay on top - especially when there's a huge target on your back. All of the competitors are gunning to take down Disney, and it's NEVER going to happen.

Lee

Adventurer
Fixing his mechanical problems would require a total structural redesign essentially meaning a new figure would have to be built, the current figure cut up, and carried down the mountain piece by piece. The new figure would also have to be carried up the steps one small piece at a time and assembled in place, or the mountain could be cut open and a new one dropped in with a large crane.
That's odd.
I have been repeatedly told that it wouldn't be very difficult to pull one yeti out and put a new one in. Not easy, but not a deal breaker either.

There are many proposals on the table for restoring some partial movement to the arm, but at this stage they are basically engineering studies and internal conversations. None of which have received a go ahead.
Three years later and they are still doing studies and having conversations?
That's pathetic. A fix should have been decided on within months of the problem developing.
The fact that they still haven't decided what to do three years later? Jobs should be lost for that.

I rode this ride several times on 2 different trips to WDW, in Feb of '09 and Feb of '10. I never saw this Yeti. Where is it supposed to be? How big is it? Is in in a very dark area? Or am I blind/dumb? :lol:
You aren't blind or dumb.
The giant yeti is in the dark cave after the outdoor helix portion of the ride. He is meant to roar at you and swipe at your car.
When working he is a marvel. Currently, he stands motionless in the dark.
Here he is, fully functional, and in slow motion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-XMbCIPBM

jakeman

Three years later and they are still doing studies and having conversations?
That's pathetic. A fix should have been decided on within months of the problem developing.
The fact that they still haven't decided what to do three years later? Jobs should be lost for that.
I agree. I can't imagine sitting on a problem for years at my job.

SeanC

I understand the reasoning for the placement of the Yeti in the ride but I would have rather seen him in the scene where the projection is. If and when he was working correctly it would have been a great place to really show him off. I guess it's a good thing he is placed where he is since it doesn't look like he will be working anytime soon. I have had the pleasure of seeing him in A mode and as spectacular as it was the train moved by to quickly for the massive animatronic to really be enjoyed. My nephew rode for the first time last month and he swore that the Yeti was moving until we rode a second time. Point being I'm not so sure that your average park goer even realizes that he is not doing what he is supposed to do. Who knows?

It may have have happened fast, but the massive creature reaching out of his cave and swooping down and swiping at the train was an unreal and amazing finale. Without the action scene, its just an ok, themed coaster. The speed added to the experience IMO cause it made one think, wow did that really just happen?!

wsmith1978

That's odd.

You aren't blind or dumb.
The giant yeti is in the dark cave after the outdoor helix portion of the ride. He is meant to roar at you and swipe at your car.
When working he is a marvel. Currently, he stands motionless in the dark.
Here he is, fully functional, and in slow motion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx-XMbCIPBM

Thanks! wow he looks awesome!! I hope to see him working when I go back again in Feb.

Lee

Adventurer
I understand the reasoning for the placement of the Yeti in the ride but I would have rather seen him in the scene where the projection is.
There was to be another yeti animatronic (partial yeti, at least) on the mountain.
He got cut fairly early in the process.

SeaCastle

More frightening than an economic recession...more powerful than a 747, able to tear apart train tracks in a single sweep...look! Up in the cave! It's a bird on a stick! It's Erin Wallace's private jet! It's the Disco Yeti!

jhastings74

I feel bad for Joe. All he can do is stand back and watch his amazing park get budget cut after budget cut.

I was thinking the same thing. It's like watching your kids grow up, and be proud of them, and then they start hanging out with the wrong crowd and next thing you know, they aren't the same as they used to be...

(characters in my fictitious mental play a moment ago ^^^ are: Me = Joe Rohde, My Kids = DAK and all affected attractions such as EE, Wrong Crowd = Poor decision-makers in Orlando)

How frustrating for Joe to know that his 'kids' are not being treated well with the people that they are hanging out with and who are 'saying' that they are taking good care of them....:cool:

Rob562

Fixing his mechanical problems would require a total structural redesign essentially meaning a new figure would have to be built, the current figure cut up, and carried down the mountain piece by piece. The new figure would also have to be carried up the steps one small piece at a time and assembled in place, or the mountain could be cut open and a new one dropped in with a large crane. In any event obviously this is an almost unimaginable rework at this late stage in the game.

So we're just ignoring the fact that the current Yeti was installed into the mountain *after* the mountain structure was built? :shrug:

For all intents and purposes, the physical exterior of the mountain was done when the AA was brought in. Only exterior painting and finishing was being worked on. True, they may have to remove a wall for access, but that wall would've been built after-the-fact, and thus is not load-bearing, and can easily be removed.
It's far from the drastic picture you paint of the top of the mountain being cut open and the AA being craned in, or being brought in and out piece by piece. He didn't go in that way, so there's no reason to come out that way.

Plus, dare I point out that this came from a poster who just joined this month?
EDIT: Sorry, *last* month...with the only other post being a video request...

-Rob

captainkidd

You know why they're in no rush to fix it?

This thread has been open for several days and has 100 posts (many from the same posters). 100 people ride Everest every 3 minutes and have no idea what we're talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom