Yeti news

Fable McCloud

More frightening than an economic recession...more powerful than a 747, able to tear apart train tracks in a single sweep...look! Up in the cave! It's a bird on a stick! It's the Disco Yeti!

This is the most truthful thing I've ever read regarding the Yeti. Between the Disco Yeti and the projection....I think they may as well just remove him rather than make him a mockery.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You know why they're in no rush to fix it?

This thread has been open for several days and has 100 posts (many from the same posters). 100 people ride Everest every 3 minutes and have no idea what we're talking about.
Sad but true. Disney has no incentive to fix the yeti. My gripe, as well as many others, is that there was a time where the only "incentive" Disney needed to fix something was it was broken and it would be bad show to leave it as such.

captainkidd

Sad but true. Disney has no incentive to fix the yeti. My gripe, as well as many others, is that there was a time where the only "incentive" Disney needed to fix something was it was broken and it would be bad show to leave it as such.

I agree. It's sort of like when you're walking someplace in the Magic Kingdom and see a water bottle or box of popcorn on the ground. 10-20 years ago, that wouldn't have been there more than a few seconds. Nowadays, you can walk past it an hour later and still see it.

flavious27

The time to have gotten this fixed was when the ride opened up. If they were not able to get it to work when they built it, they should have scrapped it instead of this only in mode a when higher ups take a tour and then mode b the rest of the time. And beyond that, why haven't they tried building a new yeti and test the hell our of it and then install it? AK opens later and closes earlier than the other parks, they would have the time to put a replacement yeti in over night as long as they tested it beforehand.

Tom

Beta Return
The time to have gotten this fixed was when the ride opened up. If they were not able to get it to work when they built it, they should have scrapped it instead of this only in mode a when higher ups take a tour and then mode b the rest of the time. And beyond that, why haven't they tried building a new yeti and test the hell our of it and then install it? AK opens later and closes earlier than the other parks, they would have the time to put a replacement yeti in over night as long as they tested it beforehand.

I'm guessing, based on your post count of 18, that you haven't been following this topic for too long.

The Yeti was 100% on opening day, and for a while thereafter. The problem came when someone realized the forces exerted by the Yeti were applying more stress to the building's structure than they had designed for.

As a result, they put him into "B" mode to slow his motions down and to stop tearing apart the steel infrastructure. Eventually, they just turned him off completely while they continued the investigation and worked on a fix.

To date, we have only seen evidence of them investigating the Yeti in the last several months, when they had him completely covered with a tarp for a few days. Other than that, we can only assume one of two things.

A) They've given up completely

B) They haven't figured out how to fix it

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As a result, they put him into "B" mode to slow his motions down and to stop tearing apart the steel infrastructure.

If I remember correctly from when the were building EE, the attraction actually has three free and separate foundations and structures that never meet.

• The foundation and structure for the track system.
  • The foundation and structure for the mountain itself.
  • The foundation and structure for the Yeti.

So which foundation is the Yeti tearing apart? Secondly, since he is freestanding, what the heck is taking so long to fix the problem. He is not attached to the mountain itself...this should be a simple repair.

C'mon TDO use your imagination....:hammer: that's right you lost it.

Brian Noble

So we're just ignoring the fact that the current Yeti was installed into the mountain *after* the mountain structure was built?
What about his support structure---which may well be where the problem is?

I don't know that that's the problem. But, if it *is* the problem, then just removing and replacing the AA itself doesn't solve the problem unless somehow you can redesign the AA to impart different forces on the yeti-foundation.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else. But, if fixing it would mean several-to-quite-a-few months of downtime, well, I can understand why they aren't in a hurry. It's not like ridership or attendance has suffered due to el-disco, but it (probably) would due to a closure.

Tom

Beta Return
If I remember correctly from when the were building EE, the attraction actually has three free and separate foundations and structures that never meet.

• The foundation and structure for the track system.
  • The foundation and structure for the mountain itself.
  • The foundation and structure for the Yeti.

So which foundation is the Yeti tearing apart? Secondly, since he is freestanding, what the heck is taking so long to fix the problem. He is not attached to the mountain itself...this should be a simple repair.

C'mon TDO use your imagination....:hammer: that's right you lost it.

That's how I understand the ride to be built as well - and it was corroborated many times by people like Joe and other WDIers on TV shows, promos, etc.

If this is the case, he has more than likely just been damaging his own structure. And, for all we know, the actual problem could lie at the base of the structure, where it bolts to the concrete foundation.

And if THIS is the case, this is going to be a very challenging fix, and will definitely require a ride closure. You can't just replace a foundation, or the point at which a towering steel structure connects to such foundation.

They can weld on additional pieces of steel to help reinforce the structure itself, if they've found that specific joints are failing. But if the "leaning" forces have caused a failure at the base, they'll need a crane to essentially lift the steel portion of the Yeti's structure while they replace or modify the concrete foundation. They'd also need to add some "outriggers" to further support his tower.

Why did they cover the Yeti for a while? I'm guessing they were looking inside him to see if anything has actually failed in his body - specifically where he connects to the structure. If so, he'll require some significant re-work himself, if not replacement. Maybe they'll re-build him out of lighter materials, since it seems like they may have gone a tad overboard the first time.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else. But, if fixing it would mean several-to-quite-a-few months of downtime, well, I can understand why they aren't in a hurry. It's not like ridership or attendance has suffered due to el-disco, but it (probably) would due to a closure.

I still agree with this point. They'll lose far more daily guests by closing the ride than they are by having an inanimate Yeti.

fngoofy

This is a complete and total embarassment. This news isn't really a shock, but seeing the facts laid out so plainly really makes my blood boil. It shows just how little they care (whoever "they" are, I'm not up to date with the politics). This whole thing is infuriating and beyond disappointing.

If this news is pretty much set in stone, I think it should be reported on. This is management at its worst, and the maybe the worst "show" we've ever seen at WDW. To any reporters/columnists who read this forum, I think this story needs to continue to be brought to light. Disney's not going to do anything to fix the problems at the parks until something tarnishes their name.

You know, it might just be a physics thing.

If it takes "x" amount of structure to safely have it move, and they have "y" amount of space to achieve it, and it would cost "z" amount of money to completely tear down the yeti's support and rebuild, it just might not be doable.

If that is the case, then yes, they could spend a billion dollars and use titanium supports to achieve the original movement. But is that a good use of funds?

You could make statements like that about every attraction:
-Why don't they add hundreds more animals to the safari and make it 2hrs long?
-Why don't they invent technology to turn off people's flash pictures?
-Why don't they actually launch me into space in Space Mountain?

Management is responsible for making responsible decisions. At some point you stop digging if the hole isn't getting you anywhere. They tried, it didn't work. We should be congratulating them for trying. They will learn from this and get it right on the next attraction that needs something like this.

Look at the flying saucers from DL. They were around for a couple of years in the 50s, didn't work that well and they took them out. Now, 50 years later we are getting an improved version in Carsland.

As they say, "No good idea ever dies."
Cut them some slack and enjoy your next trip,
justsayinsall

cbconglom

I hope..but highly doubt... they have removed emh so they can do some additional third shift maintenance including yeti stuff

Tom

Beta Return
I hope..but highly doubt... they have removed emh so they can do some additional third shift maintenance including yeti stuff

When have they removed evening EMH from AK? Also, I'm not sure 1-2 nights a week will help with this matter much. Just a drop in the bucket.

Brian Noble

I'm (irrationally) hoping that the lack of PM EMHs from March forward is in reaction to a park with not much to do at night...you know, because Safari can't run after dusk, and Everest won't be running at all.

I don't think this will happen, given the way the winds seem to be blowing, but hope springs eternal.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You know, it might just be a physics thing.

If it takes "x" amount of structure to safely have it move, and they have "y" amount of space to achieve it, and it would cost "z" amount of money to completely tear down the yeti's support and rebuild, it just might not be doable.

If that is the case, then yes, they could spend a billion dollars and use titanium supports to achieve the original movement. But is that a good use of funds?

You could make statements like that about every attraction:
-Why don't they add hundreds more animals to the safari and make it 2hrs long?
-Why don't they invent technology to turn off people's flash pictures?
-Why don't they actually launch me into space in Space Mountain?

Management is responsible for making responsible decisions. At some point you stop digging if the hole isn't getting you anywhere. They tried, it didn't work. We should be congratulating them for trying. They will learn from this and get it right on the next attraction that needs something like this.

Look at the flying saucers from DL. They were around for a couple of years in the 50s, didn't work that well and they took them out. Now, 50 years later we are getting an improved version in Carsland.

As they say, "No good idea ever dies."
Cut them some slack and enjoy your next trip,
justsayinsall

But did they really try? If we go about congratulating them on failures then they will come to expect us to accept failures from them.

No Dice.

inluvwithbeast

But did they really try? If we go about congratulating them on failures then they will come to expect us to accept failures from them.

No Dice.

It's like the Hat Box Ghost. Except a larger part of the attraction. And you can't just take out the Yeti.

So they're in a bit of a pickle.

BrerFrog

No Dice.

Exactly. We do not even know if they tried anything. As far as we know, the Yeti could have been covered for the installation of new strobes. :p

kc1296426

From a very close "in-the-know" CM birdie of mine: Everest will close for refurbishment for the first time next fall, for about 3 months or so.

Wether the Yeti will be fixed, who knows, I think it won't be 100% fixed (3 months isn't long for a complex AA) but it will be up to at least a good show.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
From a very close "in-the-know" CM birdie of mine: Everest will close for refurbishment for the first time next fall, for about 3 months or so.

Wether the Yeti will be fixed, who knows, I think it won't be 100% fixed (3 months isn't long for a complex AA) but it will be up to at least a good show.
Maybe they can fix the waterfalls. I miss them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom