Yeti news

S

stphnbogert

to be honest i'm sure disney is going to fix the yeti problem. i'm sure its just not at the top of their list right now. many people dont even know about this a mode. i think once we start getting expansions on ak and dhs we'll see the yeti being fixed.

ABigBrassBand

to be honest i'm sure disney is going to fix the yeti problem. i'm sure its just not at the top of their list right now. many people dont even know about this a mode. i think once we start getting expansions on ak and dhs we'll see the yeti being fixed.
I'm sure some of them have seen the videos in their hotel rooms and then rode it and went ":confused:"

that, or they just thought they missed it and got back in line :rolleyes:

S

stphnbogert

this is probably disney's list of stuff to do...

1) Fantasyland Expansion
2) One Man's Dream Expansion
3) Feed the ducks
4) Pleasure Island Redo
5) New Animation Resort
6) Taking the Christmas Lights down
7) Feed the ducks again
8) See what's wrong with the Yeti but don't fix it yet.
9) Try to move that big hat that someone left in Hollywood Studios
10) Hit the yeti with a hammer and see if that fixes him if not then we'll announce an expansion for Disneyland, new cruise ship and an expansion on Epcot that's not really needed. lol.

Tom

Beta Return
this is probably disney's list of stuff to do...

1) Fantasyland Expansion
2) One Man's Dream Expansion
3) Feed the ducks
4) Pleasure Island Redo
5) New Animation Resort
6) Taking the Christmas Lights down
7) Feed the ducks again
8) See what's wrong with the Yeti but don't fix it yet.
9) Try to move that big hat that someone left in Hollywood Studios
10) Hit the yeti with a hammer and see if that fixes him if not then we'll announce an expansion for Disneyland, new cruise ship and an expansion on Epcot that's not really needed. lol.

I really am :lol: at your list.

And now I feel like Michael Scott trying to intentionally think of something witty to add, so that I feel like I'm part of the fun. It's been a long weekend, I'm un-witty tonight :p

fractal

Actually I think there is another way to look at this. It could be that the fix will cost literally millions of dollars to do right with no guarantee it will last. That is a possibility. If so, I would much rather see that money spent elsewhere.

I've seen the Yeti in both modes a few times. It really is not that big a difference. And for the first time rider or the guest that does not have time for repeated visits to any individual attraction, the difference is even less important if you ask me. They gambled big and lost. Meh. :shrug:

Of course, I have said how I would deal with the issue. I would remove the Yeti and create a seperate E-Ticket Alien Encounter/King Kong type attraction at the base of the mountain (Yeti Encounter!!!:eek:). Then make the coaster more intense by what is not seen which can be far scarier if done right.

PS- Yes I realize the last thing Joe Rhode would want is an attraction where the Yeti is featured as being captured even if it involved an escape of the creature as part of the show. But sometimes it is just best to do what would please the people buying the tickets.

Just my take on it.

Totally disagree. Yeti in A mode is simply awesome.

Yeti in B mode is like driving a Ferrari with only 4 cylinders working.

PalisadesPkteer

When I said do something with the Yeti Disney I meant that they should at least get it to a mode between the A and B modes.

At least get the arm to swing and not body or something. Get it to a point better than it is now at least. Of course the A mode is far superior but if it is B mode forever or a B+ mode or A- mode then I will take the B+ or A-

Mammymouse

Obviously there is a major problem with Yeti movements or he would have been back flailing long ago. I'm just uncertain of what the basic problem is? Do they mean he has elaborate movements that require specific unusual engineering to operate? Or is it as simple as if he moves just an arm up or down the whole thing will eventually fly apart and land in someones lap? :veryconfu

S

stphnbogert

Maybe the Yeti had a stroke and no one has called 911 so he can get the treatment he needs?!?!?

ABigBrassBand

I'd want an A- mode, if they really can't get it into A mode. If not, I'd say it should be their biggest priority, under the FLE of course.

Captain Chaos

What Disney needs to do is stop advertising EE with the moving Yeti, take off the disco lights, and just have a light shine directly on the yeti... I think a frozen in place yeti leaning over to your train is better than the disco yeti... The yeti doesn't even look like it's moving, which this effect is supposed to make him look... and it leaves a chance for peopel to miss it is the light blinks are certain times as you are passing him...

Of course, we have a better option... FIX THE STINKING THING ALREADY!!!! :fork:

Andrew54

I apologize but I have kind of given up on this thread in keeping up the Yeti. So whats he doing now? still leaning over track with a strobe light? Gosh this is really said that is was now 3 years ago that I saw him actually move.

S

stphnbogert

what about we all take turns being the yeti? we will get paid $6.00/h from 9am-5pm (including emh). that way we can move however we want and scare the crap out of people. haha.

Mammymouse

what about we all take turns being the yeti? we will get paid $6.00/h from 9am-5pm (including emh). that way we can move however we want and scare the crap out of people. haha.

Sign me up!! I'd love to! :lol: Even though I'm 62 you wouldn't be able to tell inside that fur suit. And I'm sure I can thrash and yell better than the current Yeti!

S

stphnbogert

who said anything about wearing a suit? we could be all touristy with the big flag that says what family we belong to with visors, backpacks that are stuffed and taking pics every five seconds. lol.

floam

Thank you for sharing this, I have a couple of questions/comments.

I think the idea of placing a static Yeti there as an interim solution is a good one. People wouldn't notice this any more than they notice Disco Yeti. He could be posed more threateningly as well.

I imagine this is expensive--and it wouldn't fix the base of the yeti, but would allow work on the figure to be done.

I wonder, why is there "strong opposition" to ALL of the proposals, and from where does this opposition originate? I have long argued that the finances and logistics of fixing the Yeti just do not make financial sense as long as people continue to queue up for the ride, is that it? Just curious.

FWIW, I just had two separate groups of relatives come back from Disney World, and they both commented that Everest was AWESOME, one of their favorite rides there, but they wondered where the Yeti was.

So--in the "average joe" perception, they know something is amiss, or at least they wonder where he is, but it didn't affect their overall enjoyment or recommendation of the ride. I suspect herein lies the rub.

Not sure when you say the "base" of the Yeti what you are referring to. Yeti is mounted from the pelvis to a boom arm in the rear that moves on a set of very large mechanical slides. His Pelvis is what keep developing stress cracks and is of greatest concern. Not to say that he doesn't break elsewhere. Yeti's legs are free animation and carry very little load.

In answer to your question, opposition comes from the many camps that would be involved in the repair/replacement. Operations and the photography group doesn't want to run a ride with no Yeti. The people in charge of safety have continuing problems with an arm hanging over the ride path that can and does occasionally shed small parts. WDI and the show quality people do not want to see a figure with only partial detuned movements. Which by the way is a change that would require approval from several vice presidents at a minimum. The finance people do not have the money in the Facilities Asset Management or FAM budget to really tackle a major redesign. Sustaining engineering is overwhelmed with projects currently and doesn't have the man power to take on any more large projects. On and on and on it goes. Animal Kingdom engineering and engineering services has been run on essentially a skeleton crew since cut backs dating back to 9/11.

And finally you basically hit the nail on the head. As long as the queue line is packed there is absolutely no push to spend the money or take the downtime or allocate the resources needed to do any fix. Guests vote indirectly with their attendance numbers. As long as guests don't go to guest services and complain, nothing will get done. And by the way the fastest way to get something fixed at Disney is to go into guest services and complain about it. Trust me they do listen, and it just takes a few bad complaints to get money flowing again. If instead of getting on here and complaining and whining about Yeti being broken, just half of all these forum readers would walk into guest services while they are at the park to complain about Yeti it would of been fixed already. Guest complaints are tallied and they affects all kinds of resource decisions. And contrary to what you might think it doesn't take a whole lot of complaints to get something done the threshold is set pretty low.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom