Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

Phil12

Just a question without giving away too much of your info....it is animatronic even on it's huge scale. Since parts move and there are joints, we know he's not one single piece. Couldn't the part(s) that are demonstrating excessive stress simply be replaced with part(s) of a different material? Perhaps that introduces too much weight? If he were taken apart again, one would think that a few parts could be replaced with new. Add in some re-programming to change his swing to a less overhead method and there ya go.
There are rumors going around that the Yeti is going to be replaced with a new model made from super hybrid rattan wicker grown in special organic farms in Africa and Asia.

Ralphlaw

There may be some truth to this. I know because I know everyone who worked on this (at least through someone else I know and someone else they know). I am not allowed to say what part of this is right due to my source is not allowed to tell but something you wrote here is correct if not all of it. Hope that helps and just thought I would share what I know but you don't have to believe it.

Exactly.

floam

Thanks for the reply, I guess... What's with all of the exclamation points? No need to yell at me, as I know how to TIG weld. Can you tell me more about what SAE grade was used on the yeti? I have 23 years of experience in drag racing, and know my way around chromoly (industry term).
Anyway, it's always nice to gather more info. (Although, I've learned to trust @Alektronic, and your info doesn't seem to jive with his...:confused:). Will we ever know the whole story?

As much as I would like to give you more info, I cannot find a way of doing it or answering your specific questions in any way that would not directly finger people that do not wish to be involved in this discussion :) I am not going to be baited into going there. I can just say it all came first hand. Not from Disney myths, lore, and fables that float around. Whether it jars or not with anyone else's account, is irrelevant. I am not going to get into a match with anyone on here. That wasn't my intention. I usually do not post on any of these forums, but the rumors and stories about Yeti have just gotten so out of control, I figured I would set the record straight. But hey, we all like a good fairy tale right? So believe whatever you would like. :) Yeti is still over the ride path. Structurally, as a prop, it remains a possible overhead hazard if not maintained. Because of this there is occasional work that is still performed on it, engineering studies that are done, varieties of tests that are carried out in order to present data during meetings and discussions, etc etc etc. Its amazing to see the forum light up every time anything changes at the mountain LOL. It is wishful thinking, but I can assure you nothing is eminent or even on the radar concerning his return to service. Yeti is an extremely difficult problem for more reasons than have been discussed publicly.

Mawg

Has anyone ever written Discovery about the documentary that they did and how they made the Yeti out to be so amazing but yet it sits lifeless. Discovery should do a follow-up story to this. We as individuals may not have much pull in getting this fixed but maybe if Discovery pushed this they could at least get some answers.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Has anyone ever written Discovery about the documentary that they did and how they made the Yeti out to be so amazing but yet it sits lifeless. Discovery should do a follow-up story to this. We as individuals may not have much pull in getting this fixed but maybe if Discovery pushed this they could at least get some answers.
I think the Discovery Channel is only into making shows about fake monster sharks at this time.

AEfx

Naw...Fix-it-Felix should be put on the job. His magic hammer is better than Handy Manny's toolbelt.

Actually, I have to say...I quite liked Wreck It Ralph, surprisingly (it's the only of the recent decade or so of Disney pictures that I really enjoyed, enough to watch it more than once), so I would be thrilled if they redid Everest as Candy Crush Mountain. :)

Nick Wilde

Actually, I have to say...I quite liked Wreck It Ralph, surprisingly (it's the only of the recent decade or so of Disney pictures that I really enjoyed, enough to watch it more than once), so I would be thrilled if they redid Everest as Candy Crush Mountain. :)
I know you're joking, but just imagine Candy Crush mountain in the middle of the Asia land. It would look as out of place as......maybe, like a Transformers ride in the middle of San Francisco! That would be idiotic to put a Transformers ride in the middle of '30s, '40s San Fran! What theme park would do something as stupid as that?

Mike S

I know you're joking, but just imagine Candy Crush mountain in the middle of the Asia land. It would look as out of place as......maybe, like a Transformers ride in the middle of San Francisco! That would be idiotic to put a Transformers ride in the middle of '30s, '40s San Fran! What theme park would do something as stupid as that?
Don't know about any Transformers in San Fran since they're in Production Central, but can you imagine Frozen in a pavilion about the real country of Norway? Talk about stupid!!!!!!!!! :hilarious:

Nick Wilde

Don't know about any Transformers in San Fran since they're in Production Central, but can you imagine Frozen in a pavilion about the real country of Norway? Talk about stupid!!!!!!!!! :hilarious:
What I was really getting at, is how much of an eyesore Transformers is as you're walking down the San Fran area. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Victor Kelly

I heard from a cousin's, brother's, nephew's, cousin twice removed's bus driver, that the Yeti is not broke down, he began eating tourist's children from Brazil, so they called in the poachers from Kilomanjaro Safari to take him down, but the Yeti ate them. Then TDO sent in Elsa, now he is frozen. And you people just need to Let it Go!

AEfx

I really wasn't kidding, LOL. I'd be totally fine with Everest becoming Candy Crush mountain, it would be better than grand tarp-land the inside is now, and we could forget about the Yeti completely. Theme is great and all, and important, but I think we are past the whole "it's the most important" thing. Same could be said for a Pirate ride in Antebellum New Orleans, at least to modern audiences (very few folks associate "New Orleans" with Pirates).

That said, on another note, a new rumor out today about the coming King Kong attraction at Universal made me think of this thread - supposedly, yes, it will be a stand-alone ride based on the video-screen California version, but...that it includes at least one large scale Kong AA - that runs. While Disney has sat for what's going on nearly a decade (and probably will be, at least) trying (or not trying) to get an arm to move, given Universal's track record (and that we'll probably see the attraction built and ready for guests by the end of next year) they will up the bar on large scale animatronics in Orlando while we are still looking at Disco Yeti.

dstrawn9889

I really wasn't kidding, LOL. I'd be totally fine with Everest becoming Candy Crush mountain, it would be better than grand tarp-land the inside is now, and we could forget about the Yeti completely. Theme is great and all, and important, but I think we are past the whole "it's the most important" thing. Same could be said for a Pirate ride in Antebellum New Orleans, at least to modern audiences (very few folks associate "New Orleans" with Pirates).

That said, on another note, a new rumor out today about the coming King Kong attraction at Universal made me think of this thread - supposedly, yes, it will be a stand-alone ride based on the video-screen California version, but...that it includes at least one large scale Kong AA - that runs. While Disney has sat for what's going on nearly a decade (and probably will be, at least) trying (or not trying) to get an arm to move, given Universal's track record (and that we'll probably see the attraction built and ready for guests by the end of next year) they will up the bar on large scale animatronics in Orlando while we are still looking at Disco Yeti.
a copy of a copy?
ce27b5960e364f8925d1485cd52f913a.jpg

banner_17.jpg

Mike S

OMG, WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! :jawdrop: Disney really is falling behind.

Matt_Black

Hopefully they will do a sequel to Frozen that has a Yeti in it, then watch how fast it get's fixed! ;)

Yetis don't appear in the area that Frozen is based on. While there is no doubt some sort of large hairy hominid in folklore, as they appear across the globe- the Sasquatch in the Pacific Northwest and the Skunk Ape in the Southeast Atlantic area are just two examples, it would be inaccurate to call any large hairy ape creature in a Frozen sequel a Yeti. :geek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom