Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

Zac Skellington

That is not what I said. I did not say that chrome moly could not be welded. I said that "Heat treated" chrome moly cannot be welded without affecting the heat treatment. Welding produces heat! In essence, by repairing the crack you cause it to weaken, which eventually leads to it failing yet again and possibly in a more catastrophic way. Chrome moly alone did not give the engineers the strength they needed so they resorted to using a heat treated steel. There is no way to "cold" weld any steel! Therefore, this requires a leap of faith, you are essentially assuming that the part will never need welding! All Disney figures routinely fatigue crack and require periodic welding. Therefore using heat treated steel was an idea born in the mind of a structural engineer who obviously had no field experience with animation. Also in reference, to a prior comment about Yeti's movements being art directed to be more dynamic with the implication that this caused the multiple failures, this is a popular but incorrect Disney myth. I asked someone, who shall remain unnamed and not further described, who was directly, dare i say very directly, involved in the install process, and I was told that Yeti's motions where tuned DOWN not up as the popular but incorrect myth states. And regarding your question as to what knowledge I have lets just say that I have direct access to virtually everyone that was involved in the Yeti debacle as well as those who have been dealing with it throughout the years.
Thanks for the reply, I guess... What's with all of the exclamation points? No need to yell at me, as I know how to TIG weld. Can you tell me more about what SAE grade was used on the yeti? I have 23 years of experience in drag racing, and know my way around chromoly (industry term).
Anyway, it's always nice to gather more info. (Although, I've learned to trust @Alektronic, and your info doesn't seem to jive with his...:confused:). Will we ever know the whole story?

WishIwasThere

FixItFelixJrHQ.png

Problem solved.

Naw...Fix-it-Felix should be put on the job. His magic hammer is better than Handy Manny's toolbelt.

NormC

Or maybe, people have provided the facts and others choose not to believe them or just don't understand them.

I never heard about a sled being connected to the Yeti's back. It is a Thomson Rod that rides in a huge Linear Slide. The sled they are talking about is under his right foot and when he basically pivots near the ride track, it is bearing most of the weight, the rod in his back basically just stabilizes him. His left arm and left foot are just dummy actuators. So he is pivoting on his left and swinging his right arm.

He has a lot of Yak hair(yes, actual Yak hair) on him and adds a lot of weight and other problems with his coverings that needed some repairs, just like all AA figures. But when you go changing the computer program and parameters, and then that shifts stresses to other parts, then it develops cracks in other parts. Then they complained to WDI that it was due to bad engineering and wanted WDI to fix it. When WDI investigated the problems and saw all the unauthorized changes that were made, they said basically that voided the warranty. So WDW/DAK would have to pay for the repairs. So they have a lot of repairs planned, but who is going to pay for it is the big problem!! So until someone wants to spend some money to fix it, it will just sit there.
Thanks for the clarification. So which part is actually broken and how will it get fixed?

FigmentFreak

Wow. I seriously just had an incredible idea.

They absolutely could PROFIT off fixing the yeti.

They could develop and entire hour long production around it, just like they did when it was built initially. Think about it...

Bringing Her Back To Life: Rebuilding The Yeti

It could show on the travel channel. Discovery. All of their channels. It could be a Sunday night broadcast on ABC during prime time.

It could give the history of the beginning of the ride. Could get into the different modes and how "forward thinking" that was. It could cover what happened to cause the failure. The (sugar coated, I'm sure... Yet still interesting) journey to try to engineer a solution... All culminating in the triumphant return of A mode.

Mix in some short segments about Avatar or the new night show along with Disney Springs and the Poly DVC.

Seriously, they could turn this colossal failure into a buzz generating, revenue generating moment of triumph. It would allow them to save face, AND pay the bill.

Here's how they'll profit off the Yeti once it's fixed:

New Hard Ticket Event - An Evening with the Yeti

For just $200 you can have a single ride on EE with an A mode yeti, plus you get a yeti cupcake, yeti autograph card, and a yeti dance party (that's riding EE again in B mode with Disco Yeti)

During normal park hours the yeti will continue to run in b- mode only.

Unplugged

If they have to replace or repair certain parts then it needs to changed or recalibrated. If certain functions are causing other problems, like too much stress on its skin or clothing or coverings, then the program can be changed to smooth out other problems.
Just a question without giving away too much of your info....it is animatronic even on it's huge scale. Since parts move and there are joints, we know he's not one single piece. Couldn't the part(s) that are demonstrating excessive stress simply be replaced with part(s) of a different material? Perhaps that introduces too much weight? If he were taken apart again, one would think that a few parts could be replaced with new. Add in some re-programming to change his swing to a less overhead method and there ya go.

and to go to all that trouble for yeti hair, just stuff a real "stuffed" yeti in there...;)
Yeah, but then some poor cheerleader would be on the hook for hunting him and we'd have that in the news again to deal with! :p

Ralphlaw

Personally, I think it's a sinkhole sled foundation problem due to poor engineering metallurgy cracks resulting from warranty excluded stresses and Joe Rohde's distended earlobe. At least that's what the CM told me the bus driver overheard backstage during the video conference when Bob Iger raised his left eyebrow after the question was put to him--sort of.

Mawg

Personally, I think it's a sinkhole sled foundation problem due to poor engineering metallurgy cracks resulting from warranty excluded stresses and Joe Rohde's distended earlobe. At least that's what the CM told me the bus driver overheard backstage during the video conference when Bob Iger raised his left eyebrow after the question was put to him--sort of.
There may be some truth to this. I know because I know everyone who worked on this (at least through someone else I know and someone else they know). I am not allowed to say what part of this is right due to my source is not allowed to tell but something you wrote here is correct if not all of it. Hope that helps and just thought I would share what I know but you don't have to believe it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom