Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

RSoxNo1

So if the Yeti broke in mid-2007 then it never had a full calendar year from January to December where it was fully working. One of the arguments that has been made is that there hasn't been a drop off in attendance or ridership since the Yeti has been broken.

I'd say that it's conceivable that the attendance could be higher with a fully functional Yeti:
2005: 8,200,000
2006: 8,910,000: Expedition Everest Opened April 7th
2007: 9,490,000: Yeti broke in the Summer
2008: 9,540,000
2009: 9,590,000
2010: 9,686,000
2011: 9,783,000

gustaftp

I'd say that it's conceivable that the attendance could be higher with a fully functional Yeti:

I'd say Correlation does not imply Causation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So if the Yeti broke in mid-2007 then it never had a full calendar year from January to December where it was fully working. One of the arguments that has been made is that there hasn't been a drop off in attendance or ridership since the Yeti has been broken.

I would think the leveling off had more to do with the global financial crisis that hit in 2007-2008 then the Yeti.

bubbles1812

Do that many people know about the yeti being broken that it could actually hurt attendance though? Or rather as your numbers show, somewhat stagnate? I know many people aren't really aware that the yeti is indeed broken. (I'm talking about the average guest mind you, not people on here). I've known quite a few to go down to WDW and not realize anything is wrong at all or they think it maybe looks a little off but then they think oh well, guess its supposed to look like that. And it's not like Disney advertises that the Yeti is broken. I don't know if people would really flock to the park just because it was announced the yeti was fixed...heck, even if they refurbed Everest, I don't know if they'd admit he was broken and is now fixed. I think they'd just say the whole mountain was refurbished rather than admit/advertise he was broke that long.

EpcotFanForever

Do that many people know about the yeti being broken that it could actually hurt attendance though? Or rather as your numbers show, somewhat stagnate? I know many people aren't really aware that the yeti is indeed broken. (I'm talking about the average guest mind you, not people on here). I've known quite a few to go down to WDW and not realize anything is wrong at all or they think it maybe looks a little off but then they think oh well, guess its supposed to look like that. And it's not like Disney advertises that the Yeti is broken. I don't know if people would really flock to the park just because it was announced the yeti was fixed...heck, even if they refurbed Everest, I don't know if they'd admit he was broken and is now fixed. I think they'd just say the whole mountain was refurbished rather than admit/advertise he was broke that long.
One can reach pretty much any conclusion they want with such limited data. For example, we could also say that attendance growth sports at DAK only occur in years that the Red Sox win the world series, and we'd see the same degree of correlation. Or we could even argue that Red Sox winning the world series correlates with the Yeti breaking.
My favorite is that global temperature is inversely correlated with the number of pirates in the world. As the number of pirates has dropped, the earth's temperature has gone up. Hence, we need more pirates to solve global warming.

NoChesterHester

The way that corporations in 2012 are structured it isn't about good show or future investment - it is about meeting wall street expectations for profit. Without being able to show someone that undertaking a major big dollar repair will actually improve numbers it is a hard sell. Which is honestly probably why it has sat in disco mode so long - it has to come out of maintainence's budget which is probably not in the cards. It takes a big advocate, like a John Lassiter, to get folks to notice internally. Unfortunately it appears we dont have that vocal advocate inside the company for the Florida parks.

Now they know that major new attractions do raise the needle on attendance and likewise profits. Unfortunately it doesn't appear refurbs show the same kind of measurable improvement. Star Tours is the perfect example; widely lauded as a stellar new experience that didn't increase attendance at the Studios.

BrightImagine

Like the Yeti, this topic never dies, it just blinks on every one in a while. And like myself at AK, I always check in to see what's new.

RSoxNo1

One can reach pretty much any conclusion they want with such limited data. For example, we could also say that attendance growth sports at DAK only occur in years that the Red Sox win the world series, and we'd see the same degree of correlation. Or we could even argue that Red Sox winning the world series correlates with the Yeti breaking.
My favorite is that global temperature is inversely correlated with the number of pirates in the world. As the number of pirates has dropped, the earth's temperature has gone up. Hence, we need more pirates to solve global warming.
Is this why Disney is planning Jewels of the Seven Seas?

ExtinctJenn

I'd give anything to get the title of this thread changed. Every time I see it I think "oh wow is there news?" and realize nope... nothing... just another "incorrectly shared rumor." LOL!

copcarguyp71

You all realize that we are all in the minority as uber-enthusiasts and I would guess 95% of the people have no clue that the Yeti is not operating correctly right? I think it is unlikely that the condition of the Yeti has one bit of effect on attendance or ridership.

That having been said I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT WORKING!!! I was never lucky enough to see it operational so it is on my bucket list!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom