Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

alissafalco

I hate to dig up an old posting but I did not want to start a new one. I don’t have exact dates but soon Everest will be closed for an extended period and the Yeti will be fixed. Sorry if this was already posted somewhere else but I could not find it anywhere.
Do you have any idea how soon is soon? Next month? Next year? Next week?

Mike S

I hate to dig up an old posting but I did not want to start a new one. I don’t have exact dates but soon Everest will be closed for an extended period and the Yeti will be fixed. Sorry if this was already posted somewhere else but I could not find it anywhere.
image.jpg
So happy!!!!!!!!!! :D

G00fyDad

While I do agree that there will probably be a fix in the near future, I have my doubts as to the extent of the fix. Knowing their track record I seriously doubt it will be back in full "A" mode. It will probably be more movement, but not as much as we have seen when it was first opened.

tikiman

I wish I had more to share and like I said I am more surprised someone else has not mentioned it somewhere before me. I was hoping someone else would have leaked it so I could stay off Disney's radar for a while. I think they have had enough of me for a while.

tikiman

While I do agree that there will probably be a fix in the near future, I have my doubts as to the extent of the fix. Knowing their track record I seriously doubt it will be back in full "A" mode. It will probably be more movement, but not as much as we have seen when it was first opened.

I would have felt the same way but they sounded like it was going to be extensive work to the mountain and it would be fully operational again. The fix is not the Yeti itself but the structure itself so if they fix the structure there is really nothing to fix on the Yeti.

MerlinTheGoat

According to Martin, there have been multiple plans to actually repair the yeti without even taking the ride down. All of which have fallen through because of money reasons apparently. Is there any chance this could be another false alarm and someone just jumped the gun without thinking? Other insiders might be a bit hesitant to post such info given the previous false alarms. They might not want to jump the gun on this for something that may end up not happening.

I'm also wondering what else would be addressed during the refurb. I'd imagine a good solid cleanup and repainting is in order by now given that the ride opened almost 10 years ago and has yet to get any such substantial refurb. But I also wonder if they'll turn the mist machines back on that have been absent since forever as well. Probably not because of sensors, but they actually did turn the ones in Dinosaur back on not long ago apparently, so who knows?

This probably warrants a new topic instead of bumping an old one, if true.

I would have felt the same way but they sounded like it was going to be extensive work to the mountain and it would be fully operational again. The fix is not the Yeti itself but the structure itself so if they fix the structure there is really nothing to fix on the Yeti.
So the yeti itself is not broken, but the surroundings he's tethered to? We never really got a clear answer about what precisely was wrong.

G00fyDad

The problem was never with the Yeti itself, but it was a crack in the sled attached to the Yeti. Fixing the structure itself may help the problem, but they're going to have to fix that sled. I hope they do spend the money to fully fix the problem, but as I said their track record isn't great. There have been too many times where they've spent very little money in hopes of making it look like they're actually doing something. I'm not trying to come off as a "doom and gloomer", and I hope I'm wrong. Keep us posted and thank you for the update. I suppose any money being spent on the attraction is a good thing.

muteki

I would like to actually experience this with full A-mode, because the ride is fairly meh to me otherwise. Regardless of what the root cause is, hopefully they can fix it.

tikiman

According to Martin, there have been multiple plans to actually repair the yeti without even taking the ride down. All of which have fallen through because of money reasons apparently. Is there any chance this could be another false alarm and someone just jumped the gun without thinking? Other insiders might be a bit hesitant to post such info given the previous false alarms. They might not want to jump the gun on this for something that may end up not happening.

I'm also wondering what else would be addressed during the refurb. I'd imagine a good solid cleanup and repainting is in order by now given that the ride opened almost 10 years ago and has yet to get any such substantial refurb. But I also wonder if they'll turn the mist machines back on that have been absent since forever as well. Probably not because of sensors, but they actually did turn the ones in Dinosaur back on not long ago apparently, so who knows?

This probably warrants a new topic instead of bumping an old one, if true.

So the yeti itself is not broken, but the surroundings he's tethered to? We never really got a clear answer about what precisely was wrong.

It is often that things get planned and funding gets cut to actually put the plan into motion. It seemed like a for sure thing to me. I don't really want to get into too many of the details of how the conversation came up but in my opinion I believe it will happen.

As for what the problem is it was described to me back when it was stopped that the structure of that part of the mountain could not handle the loads of that much mass moving that fast without eventually yielding so they shut it off until they could figure out how to fix it. The next problem was getting money to do it.

That is all I will share at this point. Hopefully someone else will come forward with some info or I guess we can just wait and see what happens.

Biff215

I'm not doubting tikiman on his information, but I do still have a hard time believing that Disney will follow through and close AK's marquis attraction without having something new like Avatar open. Park capacity and guest satisfaction will no doubt take a serious hit if this does indeed happen.

For the record, I'm all for it, even if I do miss it on an upcoming visit. I'm just having a really hard time believing TDO will allow it to happen. Hope it does!

Thanks for sharing the info, tikiman!

pax_65

For me the Yeti has become a symbol of what's wrong with Disney these days. They accept "good enough" quality in part because most guests don't know the difference. They've done it in the past too (anyone remember "Mission to Mars"?) but it's been happening too often lately.

For me EE is just an average coaster with some pretty good theme-ing. But the "A" mode effect knocks my socks off - the first time I rode, I was legitimately frightened and literally ducked my head! It would be awesome to get back to that again - and the people who don't know the difference will (hopefully) realize what we've been complaining about all these years! :)

tikiman

I'm not doubting tikiman on his information, but I do still have a hard time believing that Disney will follow through and close AK's marquis attraction without having something new like Avatar open. Park capacity and guest satisfaction will no doubt take a serious hit if this does indeed happen.

For the record, I'm all for it, even if I do miss it on an upcoming visit. I'm just having a really hard time believing TDO will allow it to happen. Hope it does!

Thanks for sharing the info, tikiman!

Maybe they will bring the boats back to distract everyone. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom