Pre-Trip Yes, Virginia, There is a going to be another Prophet TR...

Well we’ve just passed the 30 day threshold so I might as well put this out there. We’re at it again! You were with us in 2015 and again in 2016 so why not come along for 2017! This year we leave the in-laws at home but the kid is bringing a friend! So here are the details:

Who: DW(@imahistorygeek), DD(TheKid), and ME(@lostpro9het) We will also bring a friend of TheKid’s who I will call “The Fourth Wheel”
CRew2.jpeg

When: Dec17-Dec22

Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo 1-bdrm value villa

We will be changing things up a little this year and will by trying out a food delivery service and attempt to cook in the room for a few dinners! We did line up a few ADRs but I’ll get into that a little later. I’m still on the fence about a live or a post TR, probably post so I can enjoy the time. Anyway, that’s it for now I’ll post more fun facts soon!

Last edited:

imahistorygeek

I have a question regarding food.

We want to make some meals in our rooms. Should we order from Garden Grocer? Will the company deliver directly to the resort?
I looked at their prices and they seem high. Should we do something else? There's a new Walmart on our way just before we hit the resorts. If available, should I do an online grocery shop and drop by and pick it up? It's my understanding the service is free. Thanks!

joshsprincess921

We want to make some meals in our rooms. Should we order from Garden Grocer? Will the company deliver directly to the resort?
I looked at their prices and they seem high. Should we do something else? There's a new Walmart on our way just before we hit the resorts. If available, should I do an online grocery shop and drop by and pick it up? It's my understanding the service is free. Thanks!

If you are an Amazon Prime member, check out Amazon Prime Now. I used them on my last trip and it worked perfectly. There was some sort of fee/tip, but I remember it not being very much. Of course, they may not have everything you need, but worth checking out. You can order and have it delivered within 2 hours. You can also order food delivery from local restaurants on Amazon Prime Now. I think Walmart would be a great option. I have friend's that rave over the online shopping but I have yet to try it out.

krause

I just did a garden grocery order for our trip in February and it did seem expensive but still not as much as buying on site. They deliver to the resort and leave it at bell services where they say there is a fridge to put perishables in. From what I have read, if you use other services (GG has an agreement with Disney), your packages might end up at some central mail location. However, if I was American I would have looked more into doing Amazon, and if we were renting a car I would probably stop somewhere (although that will cut into your precious vacation minutes ;)).

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
Ha! You were up in my neck o' the woods! (I'm just outside of Cape Cod.)

Me Too! I live a little north of Boston.

You guy's were so close to me. I grew up in NYC and now me and my fiancé live on the coast of NH near Portsmouth. You should definitely make it up this way next time your in the Boston/ MA area. If your a history buff you will love "strawberry bank" in Portsmouth. It is an outdoor living history museum directly across from the old waterfront. You can walk through the whole town exactly as it were back in the day. Everyone is dressed up and it's really a lot of fun. The homes are original too which makes it that much more interesting.

I'm across the river from Portsmouth. It is a small world.

Zipadeelady

When J and I were at Kidani in September we were going to order some items from Garden Grocer then decided against it. Not only were the things we wanted to order a little expensive, the delivery fee and minimum order cost kept us from ordering. I think stopping at Wal-mart would be the cheapest option. Although it will make your arrival time even later.:(

krause

I just did a garden grocery order for our trip in February and it did seem expensive but still not as much as buying on site. They deliver to the resort and leave it at bell services where they say there is a fridge to put perishables in. From what I have read, if you use other services (GG has an agreement with Disney), your packages might end up at some central mail location. However, if I was American I would have looked more into doing Amazon, and if we were renting a car I would probably stop somewhere (although that will cut into your precious vacation minutes ;)).

I should add that we are 5 adults and a toddler and we were over $200 so the delivery fee was like $2 and we got a discount for ordering farther in advance. Other services seemed to have even higher delivery costs.

imahistorygeek

I did a little bit of research yesterday trying to track down the exact location of that new-ish Walmart on our way. I think it's Vineland. They do not have the pre-order grocery option.

However, there's a Walmart that does participate in online ordering and it's 2.4 miles away from AKL. It's on that same road as Cracker Barrel. We fill up at the Shell station there all the time.

With all this said, who knows if we'll even do this. Maybe we will just wing it.

coachwnh

We have used GG numerous times. Never an issue (and they deliver alcohol!!!!!!!!!!). We were always way over the minimum cost for free delivery. The idea of having to shop on vacation does not appeal to me in WDW, so I never thought about the prices. I'd rather save time by having the shopping done for me.

LindsayLoves

Instacart now services Orlando and WDW. I have used them in NYC for grocery delivery and would recommend them. I have heard good stuff from people on other boards (gasp!) who have used them in Orlando.

They have multiple different stores you can purchase from - most notably Publix and Total Wine. This service is basically someone shopping for you, some refer to them as the Uber of grocery shopping. You select the stuff you want online or via their app - and a person goes and buys it and brings it to you. The earliest it will arrive is usually within 2 hours, but you can also request it for later if that's what works for you. People report placing an order while on DME and having it show up shortly after they get to their hotel.

The difference between this and GG is that you need to be present to get your stuff, especially if you are getting an age restricted item beer, wine, etc.They have very reliable delivery times and since it is a real person they can text you if something you ordered isn't available or if they are running late (the good ones do this because they want a bigger tip)

There is a delivery fee but you are shopping at supermarket prices, not the super inflated GG prices - sorry not paying $7 for a crappy 6 pack of bagels or $21 for a 12 pack of bud light.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
5 days and we have done no packing or prep!!!
giphy.gif

I swear November and December has just flown by and I have a feeling this week will cruise by too despite trip this weekend.

We still need to:
  • Pack
  • Plan other meals for the week
  • Buy the food for above meals
  • And im sure im missing a few other things as well...
I was reminiscing yesterday, while reading some TRs, about our POP Christmas visits in the beginning years and how we were true vacation commandos. We had every hour planned with note cards itemizing our entire trip. We would have been packed by now and probably wouldn't be able to sleep all week. I genuinely miss our POP beginnings but love our AKL. I think the excitement is starting to hit me and wish more vacation creep could occur. Anyway, final week countdown! Speaking of finals, I give my last final tonight and should have all my grades submitted but Thursday in plenty of time for this weekend! According to the weather, we should be swimming this weekend which beats the 26 and snow we had this weekend!

Cant wait for Saturday!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Packed!

Got a date with The Last Jedi then we head down!

We realized our TiW card expired last month so we will need to get a new one first thing. Made a decision around Wednesday that, ya know what, I don't want to cook and clean while on vacation so we will be making some dining plans on the fly this week. I picked up our regular breakfast, entenmann's, and snack staples for the week and now its just hours until go time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom