year you first went to WDW

TomP

Does visiting the Preview Center count? I went there in March 1970 while visiting family in St. Pete Beach. It had a gift shop! We drove over one morning; I was 23 years old.
My first visit to the Magic Kingdom was in March 1972, about 6 months after it opened. We stayed at the Polynesian Village (as it was known then).
I hope you get a chance to visit WDW soon. Reading these forums is a great way to learn more about Disney and their parks. Have fun and take care.

DisDude23

My first trip was in 1998, I was 12 years old and my dad and I got a one day ticket that was good for every park except Animal Kingdom because it had just opened that year. We tried to do the best of three parks in one day and we miserable by the end but still had a good time. I didn’t go back again until 2014 when my wife and I went for a trip with her family and her and I have gone an average of every six months since (except in 2020) and we now have children to take with us and it’s such a joy to everything through their eyes.

Goofyernmost

WDW...... 1983...... 47 times after that over about 36 years
DLR.......... 2005...... Just once
DLParis... 2015...... Also just once
October, 1993 on my honeymoon…me, 29, wife,25…she went to DLR as a kid, it was my first trip on a plane and to WDW…we took a hiatus until our kids came along and after first seeing their faces the first time they saw Cinderella Castle hooked us!!
My kids were either lucky or I was a terrible person, but my obsession with Disney was strictly selfish. I was unsure about going until that first day of the first time and everything I saw hooked me. I suspect my kids enjoyed it because they were always excited to go, but they could have been on the verge of an aneurism from hatred and I probably wouldn't have noticed. I have been with my younger family, with my older family, including grandkids, with just my wife and many times solo. I guess I was lucky in a way because when the cost to go finally passed my source of money without using credit, was when my back started to act up and really prevented me from being able to comfortably afford financially or physically to go there. Factoring in that and my feeling that Florida just doesn't seem all that safe, like it once did, I just have to live vicariously via YouTube.

John park hopper

WDW...... 1983...... 47 times after that over about 36 years
DLR.......... 2005...... Just once
DLParis... 2015...... Also just once

My kids were either lucky or I was a terrible person, but my obsession with Disney was strictly selfish. I was unsure about going until that first day of the first time and everything I saw hooked me. I suspect my kids enjoyed it because they were always excited to go, but they could have been on the verge of an aneurism from hatred and I probably wouldn't have noticed. I have been with my younger family, with my older family, including grandkids, with just my wife and many times solo. I guess I was lucky in a way because when the cost to go finally passed my source of money without using credit, was when my back started to act up and really prevented me from being able to comfortably afford financially or physically to go there. Factoring in that and my feeling that Florida just doesn't seem all that safe, like it once did, I just have to live vicariously via YouTube.
In what way has Florida become any less safe than any other state in the union--- NC has a higher murder rate than Florida 2022 stats

klmall

1979 as a chaperone for my school's Teen Club complete with 18 hour bus ride and 40 some middle schoolers! Next trip was 1990 with our four year old and husband for their first time (but not the last)!

Goofyernmost

In what way has Florida become any less safe than any other state in the union--- NC has a higher murder rate than Florida 2022 stats
There is no way that I can answer that without infringing on the rules of the forum. So let's say that I just no longer feel comfortable for multiple reasons and will not return until I do. If that means never again, having been in many locations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Caribbean and Canada, I can say that there are many interesting places to visit where I do feel good emotionally.

AndyS2992

August 6th - 20th 2008, I was 15, flying from England.

It was during the 'Year of a Million Dreams' celebration.

Found out about Disney parks when I was very young, mid 1990s, due to a Euro Disney preview commercial at the end of a Little Mermaid VHS. My parents told me they had gone to WDW in 1989 and pulled out their photo album and I became obsessed. I nagged them to go every summer but they said it was too hot expensive but in 2004 (age 11) they compromised and took me to Disneyland Paris for the first time and we had a great time so I started nagging them more for a trip to Disney World and again, they gave in and finally took me in 2008. I have been back to WDW and Disneyland Paris multiple times since. I will be heading out to Disneyland California for the first time with my partner this September (age 32) 😁

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

August 6th - 20th 2008, I was 15, flying from England.

It was during the 'Year of a Million Dreams' celebration.

Found out about Disney parks when I was very young, mid 1990s, due to a Euro Disney preview commercial at the end of a Little Mermaid VHS. My parents told me they had gone to WDW in 1989 and pulled out their photo album and I became obsessed. I nagged them to go every summer but they said it was too hot expensive but in 2004 (age 11) they compromised and took me to Disneyland Paris for the first time and we had a great time so I started nagging them more for a trip to Disney World and again, they gave in and finally took me in 2008. I have been back to WDW and Disneyland Paris multiple times since. I will be heading out to Disneyland California for the first time with my partner this September (age 32) 😁

I knew about Disneyland when it opened and I watched the Mouseketeers frolic around the newly opened park. I was about 8 laying on my stomach snacking on a Fluffernutter while seeing it all on Black and White TV, which in those days was always less than even good definition TV pictures.

I knew at that time since we lived on the East Coast (New England) that we were never going to get there. I finished college, spent 4 years in the Air Force and then got married (1972) all in rapid succession. Two years later while still struggling financially our first was born and two years later our second joined our family. Unfortunately, at the time, my income didn't keep up with the growth of our family so it took another nine years before we were able to catch up and save enough to go to WDW. I was 35 years old at the time and drove the 1500 miles (one way) to Orlando. I was hooked the moment my tires hit World Drive and pretty much stayed that way to now. However, now finds me in the position where my retirement income does not allow the massive amount of money needed to get to enjoy the massive amount of entertainment that was at WDW in 1983 only cost $32 per 3 day passport for two parks. (non-expiring)

At least I had just about 40 years of enjoying WDW, Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. I do miss not having that to look forward to anymore. The cost to get to DLR and DLP is now out of my reach too. I would have loved to have gone to Japan. That resort looks awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom