Y'all should ...

culturenthrills

Well, I hope they have something new to replace Luigi's and they better take into account Florida rainy and humid weather and cover Mater's Jamboree. If they can't run RSR in the rain then that ride is gonna be down alot ing off alot of guests during the summer months.

Mawg

To be very blunt I was told he doesn't care, numbers do not lie

Wow, it's the highest grossing movie of all time so it's got to be worth building a land, right? The second highest grossing movie of all times is Titanic, so let's have Titanic Land next! But he probably did not watch that movie either and know that the ship sinks and everyone dies. Like I said, if he didn't watch the movie, then he deserves to be fired.

Mawg

Yes the infighting has gotten much worse. Cameron has decided before he can focus on pandora he wants the films in the can. Also Disney doesn't like the new story, I don't think anyone at Disney actually watched avatar before they began. Iger looked at the numbers and the name behind the project, checked put a couple visuals and said let's do it

Actually, I kind of thought this would be coming. The second and third movie are suppose to be very different than the first, I thought I heard that the 2nd would revolve around the oceans of Pandora. If this is true Cameron would want his land at Disney to represent all 3 of his movies and not just the first. Disney has it tough too, even if Cameron would let them build a movie based only on the first, would they want to? People may like the second and third more and wish that pandora had parts from the other movies. It would be like if you build a Star Wars land only based on the first movie and then empire and return of the Jedi comes out. Cameron could tell Disney, "this is what the 2nd and 3rd movie is about but shhh don't tell anyone" Disney could try and build it and then Cameron could end up screwing them and make the 2nd and 3rd totally different than the imagineers pictured it. Not that Cameron would do it on purpose because he doesn't want the land to suck either. But, I really don't see how you can build a land based only on the first movie, and I don't see how you can start to build a land based on all 3 until the next two movies are in production. I don't think we'll see anything start for at least 2 years.

doctornick

If TDO feels AK needs some investments, why not take the Avatar money and invest it into SOME variation of Mysterious Island

I've got to think it is inevitable that something substantial will be built in the Camp Minnie-Mickey area. Probably something in the relatively near future (starting construction within 2-3 years). Plans to move the M&G's and FOTK seem actively being pursued. There is a need/desire to extend the hours of DAK and they can't do that without more attractions that will be open into the night. And it's substantial land so they have less constraints as to what they can do.

I've got to think that if Avatar falls through, that they can redirect that $400M or so that they were willing to spend and dust off the Mysterious Island plans and go. Okay, maybe they wouldn't be willing to spend the full amount, but at least a substantial part of it and they wouldn't have licensing fees associated with Avatar.

We'll see. It will suck if DAK is not enhanced in the short term, but I think DHS needs the more immediate attention anyway, so I'm fine if that gets focus first. But DAK shouldn't be too far behind.

spacemt354

Chili's
Actually, I kind of thought this would be coming. The second and third movie are suppose to be very different than the first, I thought I heard that the 2nd would revolve around the oceans of Pandora. If this is true Cameron would want his land at Disney to represent all 3 of his movies and not just the first. Disney has it tough too, even if Cameron would let them build a movie based only on the first, would they want to? People may like the second and third more and wish that pandora had parts from the other movies. It would be like if you build a Star Wars land only based on the first movie and then empire and return of the Jedi comes out. Cameron could tell Disney, "this is what the 2nd and 3rd movie is about but shhh don't tell anyone" Disney could try and build it and then Cameron could end up screwing them and make the 2nd and 3rd totally different than the imagineers pictured it. Not that Cameron would do it on purpose because he doesn't want the land to suck either. But, I really don't see how you can build a land based only on the first movie, and I don't see how you can start to build a land based on all 3 until the next two movies are in production. I don't think we'll see anything start for at least 2 years.

I agree with your point. Imagine WWoHP based only on the 1st film. Flight of the Hippogriff, Hogsmeade Village, and several scenes from Forbidden Journey wouldn't even exist since they weren't a part of the first film. Although I feel the quality and depth of the imagery in the first Avatar could hold its own in a theme park, I too would want to see elements of the 2nd and 3rd film in the land as well. I don't feel Avatar is a "must-do now" for Disney anymore due to high cost, the potential for a flop, and the automatic home run in their back pocket with Carsland) DAK will have it's day, and maybe Avatar will too, but for right now I feel the main concern for TDO is DHS 2.0. They've studied how much of a success DCA 2.0 was, and although I don't think the revamp will be the 1.1 billion they spent in Cali, I think over the span of the next 5-6 years DHS is gonna look a lot different (in a good way)

I mean just think about the potential DHS lineup in 3-5 years:
RSR + full Carsland
Monster's Inc Coaster
Tangeled Show (replace BatB)
Phineas and Ferb Show (replace TLM)
Star Wars possible expansion
Indy Attraction possible update
and then add all this to the already established Tower of Terror, RnRC, Great Movie Ride, etc and you've got a much much better product than right now, along with a sure boost attendance and merchandise sales.

Avatar isn't as appealing as this lineup IMO. Also Disney cannot really afford to take a risk on a franchise like Avatar at the current moment. I was on-board with Avatar until the news/rumors of Carsland and a DHS overhaul came to be. And, coupled with the fact that the 2nd and 3rd Avatar movies aren't coming out for a while, there really isn't a rush to make a whole land based on one (however successful) film. Wait for the reception the other films get. By that time, this potential DHS plan will be completed, and the FLE will have been open for at least a few years. If they open Avatar in 2017/2018, that's fine by me at this point. And if they don't do it at all, that's also fine. There are plenty of other ideas for AK that I feel would be a better choice then Avatar. How about a Jules Verne Land close to TDS? Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea? Just a possibility but there are plenty more out there.

M.rudolf

Let's clear some things up:

- The holdup with Star Wars has to be on Lucas' side. There's no way Disney would sink $500 mil into a property like Avatar and not consider Star Wars first. I've never heard what exactly the holdup is, but it's either (a) the money Lucas wants, (b) the money Lucas wants Disney to invest in the expansion, or (c) that Lucas wants Star Wars to be its own gate.
From what I understand about the development of Star Tours 2, Lucas was very accommodating. So I doubt creative control really comes into play here (besides basic approval and concepts).
It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Avatar was a way to get Lucas back to the bargaining table. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Disney buy Lucasfilm. I believe we're still 10-15 years away from that happening though.

- Disney doesn't NEED Cameron or Avatar AT ALL. They have plenty of properties they can turn to (both internally and externally) if Avatar doesn't happen.
But Cameron desperately needs Disney. If plans fall through at WDW, he's dead in the water. Uni has Potter, Transformers,Jurassic Park and Marvel. If they wanted another property, I'd think Lord of the Rings is much more proven (of course they could always pick it up just to spite Disney).
Is Six Flags going to spend $500 mil and develop something in the same league as Disney or Uni? No way. Cedar Fair? No chance.
How is Cameron dead in the water? He's a film maker by trade not a theme park designer. Remember Disney came to him, would he like to do it probably. Will he compromise his vision for what amounts to him a side venture, no.

Ignohippo

How is Cameron dead in the water? He's a film maker by trade not a theme park designer. Remember Disney came to him, would he like to do it probably. Will he compromise his vision for what amounts to him a side venture, no.

I meant Avatar as a theme park "land" is dead in the water. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Will the proposed Carsland include the cone food and beverage locations?

I really (really, really, really) hope this project is a go. With Fantasyland Expansion swiftly wrapping up, we are desperately going to need a new project to obsess over.
Just imagine ... a whole new series of fly-over pics, over the wall photos, daily speculation, endless debate ....
I am so excited just thinking about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom