Y'all should ...

Lee

Adventurer
@Lee With all of the "smoke" for DHS, AK, DCL, and FLE being built in MK, is there any talk of EPCOT getting some love beyond the TT refurb?
Nope. Not in the short term. At least I haven't heard of anything beyond TT and a bunch of Fastpass machines.

Californian Elitist

I'd argue that how can there be an honest disappointment of replacing Innoventions at DL, which is simply an advertisement for mostly technology you can see at Best Buy or Home Depot with various corporate "partners" or a quality, E-Ticket, which has been lacking in that long extinguished part of DL? Carousel of Progress to America Sings to nothing to Innoventions.

I think that when Pixar started popping up throughout the properties, at least they were partners with Disney and there was a partnership since the near beginning at least with the featured films, even though they rapidly took over real estate around the parks that had always been "Disney." With Marvel, there is no long standing relationship and they simply want to use a property that is in the portfolio today, which simply isn't "Disney." The truth, though, is that Star Wars, Indiana Jones, the majority of scenes (minus Fantasia) in the Great Movie Ride, etc. haven't even been a part of the company, and are amongst some of the most popular attractions that they've ever had.

In DL, I get that it's different in that it's almost sacred ground as far as the fans are considered, but Star Tours has been welcoming guests in Tomorrowland for 25 years.

I think that we can all agree that the sad truth is that original, non-licensed storytelling attractions are generally history with the company. That could change sometime, but as it is now, it's properties or bust at the theme parks.

EXACTLY. I'll take pretty much anything over Innoventions, and Iron Man is cool. Win win.

Magenta Panther

LOL, I complain when complaining is due but this is ridiculous. People say Disneyland is sacred, and while I agree, that ship has sailed, when it comes to outside things being inside the parks. It sailed away to Never Never Land, actually. What's funny is people who complain about Marvel being in the parks will go and experience the attraction(s) anyway, and most likely will probably end up liking it. Oh the irony. *sigh*

Being a bit assumptive, aren't you? Again, adolescent power fantasies don't impress me any more. I don't go to a Disney park because I like neat-o fast rides dripping with testosterone. I think superheroes are a bit silly, to be honest. I think the Hulk's hilarious, not fearsome. I like creative magic, not impossible musculature. I prefer "when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true" to "Hulk smash!!!" :D Therefore, I hope that Iger is pushed out very quickly and that the fellow or lady who takes over will have second thoughts about putting a bunch of dippy-looking overmuscled action figures into Disneyland. But at least WDW will be safe from such an unsavory invasion. We'll see...

Magenta Panther

I'd argue that how can there be an honest disappointment of replacing Innoventions at DL, which is simply an advertisement for mostly technology you can see at Best Buy or Home Depot with various corporate "partners" or a quality, E-Ticket, which has been lacking in that long extinguished part of DL? Carousel of Progress to America Sings to nothing to Innoventions.

I think that when Pixar started popping up throughout the properties, at least they were partners with Disney and there was a partnership since the near beginning at least with the featured films, even though they rapidly took over real estate around the parks that had always been "Disney." With Marvel, there is no long standing relationship and they simply want to use a property that is in the portfolio today, which simply isn't "Disney." The truth, though, is that Star Wars, Indiana Jones, the majority of scenes (minus Fantasia) in the Great Movie Ride, etc. haven't even been a part of the company, and are amongst some of the most popular attractions that they've ever had.

In DL, I get that it's different in that it's almost sacred ground as far as the fans are considered, but Star Tours has been welcoming guests in Tomorrowland for 25 years.

I think that we can all agree that the sad truth is that original, non-licensed storytelling attractions are generally history with the company. That could change sometime, but as it is now, it's properties or bust at the theme parks.

And that is why Disney is losing its cache with a lot of Disneyphiles. The parks will soon be no different from Universal or Busch Gardens. They will lose their innovative edge and their character. Why wouldn't anyone who loves Disney mourn that?

Californian Elitist

Being a bit assumptive, aren't you? Again, adolescent power fantasies don't impress me any more. I don't go to a Disney park because I like neat-o fast rides dripping with testosterone. I think superheroes are a bit silly, to be honest. I think the Hulk's hilarious, not fearsome. I like creative magic, not impossible musculature. I prefer "when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true" to "Hulk smash!!!" :D Therefore, I hope that Iger is pushed out very quickly and that the fellow or lady who takes over will have second thoughts about putting a bunch of dippy-looking overmuscled action figures into Disneyland. But at least WDW will be safe from such an unsavory invasion. We'll see...

You are one of few. I've already said there's no point in talking to you, because we'll be going around in circles. Should Marvel come to the DLR, just avoid it. Simple as that, though I don't see how you still ride Star Tours, Indiana Jones and Tower if you don't approve of them being in the parks.

twebber55

i will give ol magenta credit...its all or nothing in regards to being disney in the parks..at least he/she is consistant even if i disagree...i d say the same thing just dont go see pandora, star wars, marvel, or indiana jones if you feel that way...one less person to get in line before me

Magenta Panther

You are one of few. I've already said there's no point in talking to you, because we'll be going around in circles. Should Marvel come to the DLR, just avoid it. Simple as that, though I don't see how you still ride Star Tours, Indiana Jones and Tower if you don't approve of them being in the parks.

Initially, I didn't like those rides/attractions appearing in Disney parks, that's true. But all of those rides are at DHS, so I've come to see them as sort of "guest stars" in a park that celebrates movies in general, not just Disney movies. If Disney put a Marvel attraction in DHS, I would consider it a "guest star" as well, and would be okay with it, although I would probably not ride it, because to me, that would be the equivalent of wanting to experience the Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo Boutique. But an entire Marvel Land at Disneyland is repugnant. There is no way it would fit into the ambience and character of that park. It would likely be much like the original DCA - a sub-park that had none of the Disney magic and therefore was a failure. Because, as even Iger has acknowledged, when people go to a Disney park, they want to see Disney. That's my contention too, although I think I mean it more than Iger does. You apparently feel otherwise, and that's okay. And I don't see much point in talking to you about this subject any further either. Peace out.

twebber55

i agree they go to a disney park to see disney but i ve never met anyone in my life who has stayed awsy from a disney park because they now have outside properties

Beholder

@Magenta Panther- I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm not arguing the right or wrong of Marvel being in DL or any Disney park, just making the observation that times, along with Disney, have changed. I never in a million years would've expected to see Marvel and Disney together, but, they are. The way you feel about Marvel is how I feel about the thematic inconsistency of Pixar in EPCOT or Tomorrowland. Maybe it's my age, when I was growing up, there was no such thing as Pixar, so their inclusion is odd to me. I grew up with SW, Indiana Jones, the Muppets and comics, so maybe it's the familiarity of it all. The next group of kids coming along will associate Marvel with Disney like I associate Peter Pan or Alice In Wonderland now. Now for me, I wouldn't like video games, like nintendo properties, in the parks. That would be a big intrusion for me, but if times and attitudes demand it, it could happen. I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't stop going. Heck, I might even like it.

yensidtlaw1969

Once again, we haven't even see concept work yet. People are already saying they don't like it, when they don't even know what it is. How can you dislike something that you haven't heard of and doesn't even exist yet, in a theme park? That's all I'm saying. The imagineers may have been able to come up with a really cool concept that works well with Tomorrowland. We don't know that yet, so why don't we just wait and see?
Isn't that basically what I said? The whole point I was trying to make with my previous post was that I'll enjoy the ride if it's good, and I fully expect that it will be, but the theme does not look like it's working toward solving any of Tomorrowland's problems with theme. I'm happy to wait and see and would be thrilled if it's a great attraction, but I think the point still stands that mixing Iron Man in with Nemo, Buzz, Star Tours and Space Mountain does not appear to offer any thematic unity to a land that is almost unsurpassed in its need for it. I'm interested in seeing how it plays out, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss the possibilites. Even more so if Disney is planning for a Third Gate in Anaheim based entirely on the Marvel properties -- doesn't that sound like a more logical fit for Tony Stark than in between the Autopia and Pizza Port?

I'm curious as to what about this attraction is making Bob Iger say we need it in Tomorrowland and we need it now. You misread me - I never said I don't like the attraction. I said I don't like the potential mess it could cause for the theme of the land (and ultimately the DLR parks, if the Marvel park is built). Maybe the mess will be worth it if the attraction is amazing, which I would love to see happen. It's just sad that their Tomorrowland has for so long been allowed to become as disjointed as it is. I only hope their plan is to turn that around. I suppose an Iron Man attraction could do that depending on how it's implemented, but they don't seem to be solving any thematic problems by simply introducing the property into the land. At least not on the surface. Either way, if it's coming it's coming, and I'm excited to see what they have planned for the attraction. But I'm also curious to see what they have planned for a land that so desperately needs gluing together.

Pixiedustmaker

Innoventions, needs to go, IMO. But you can see that if they just gutted Innoventions and put in a lot of "Stark Expo" displays, maybe an Iron Man animatronic, without a ride per se, this would disappoint. And, IMHO, would not be the E-Ticket fans want for Tomorrowland.

Lee

Adventurer
Innoventions, needs to go, IMO. But you can see that if they just gutted Innoventions and put in a lot of "Stark Expo" displays, maybe an Iron Man animatronic, without a ride per se, this would disappoint. And, IMHO, would not be the E-Ticket fans want for Tomorrowland.
It will be an E. Large in scope. Using a new ride system. It will use Innoventions and some of the surrounding area.

BrightImagine

I am amazed that no one has brought up the parallels here, regarding the rumored Tomorrowland attraction. As far as I can tell from the rumors here, this attraction is not just an Iron Man attraction... it's a Stark Expo attraction. Stark's dad (at least in the film) was so much based on Walt Disney and his futurism... His expo even had a Carousel of Progress homage theme song that was written by Richard Sherman:

For something that directly referenced the old Tomorrowland/city planning/EPCOT to stand where the Carousel of Progress used to be... in my mind it's perfect really. I don't know how much more on the nose the theme could be.

Californian Elitist

Not true. When the rumors were going around for Stark Expo, fans were pretty excited, even though there was no hint of it being a ride. DL fans are just sick of Innoventions. Total waste of space and I agree, if needs to go.

Californian Elitist

I am amazed that no one has brought up the parallels here, regarding the rumored Tomorrowland attraction. As far as I can tell from the rumors here, this attraction is not just an Iron Man attraction... it's a Stark Expo attraction. Stark's dad (at least in the film) was so much based on Walt Disney and his futurism... His expo even had a Carousel of Progress homage theme song that was written by Richard Sherman:

For something that directly referenced the old Tomorrowland/city planning/EPCOT to stand where the Carousel of Progress used to be... in my mind it's perfect really. I don't know how much more on the nose the theme could be.

I'm thinking the exact same thing. It's exactly why I don't understand people saying it wouldn't fit the theme. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

Californian Elitist

Isn't that basically what I said? The whole point I was trying to make with my previous post was that I'll enjoy the ride if it's good, and I fully expect that it will be, but the theme does not look like it's working toward solving any of Tomorrowland's problems with theme. I'm happy to wait and see and would be thrilled if it's a great attraction, but I think the point still stands that mixing Iron Man in with Nemo, Buzz, Star Tours and Space Mountain does not appear to offer any thematic unity to a land that is almost unsurpassed in its need for it. I'm interested in seeing how it plays out, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss the possibilites. Even more so if Disney is planning for a Third Gate in Anaheim based entirely on the Marvel properties -- doesn't that sound like a more logical fit for Tony Stark than in between the Autopia and Pizza Port?

I'm curious as to what about this attraction is making Bob Iger say we need it in Tomorrowland and we need it now. You misread me - I never said I don't like the attraction. I said I don't like the potential mess it could cause for the theme of the land (and ultimately the DLR parks, if the Marvel park is built). Maybe the mess will be worth it if the attraction is amazing, which I would love to see happen. It's just sad that their Tomorrowland has for so long been allowed to become as disjointed as it is. I only hope their plan is to turn that around. I suppose an Iron Man attraction could do that depending on how it's implemented, but they don't seem to be solving any thematic problems by simply introducing the property into the land. At least not on the surface. Either way, if it's coming it's coming, and I'm excited to see what they have planned for the attraction. But I'm also curious to see what they have planned for a land that so desperately needs gluing together.

At this point, I almost don't care what goes in Tomorrowland, though IMO Stark Expo fits with the theme. There are two themes in Disneyland's Tomorrowland it seems, a space theme and a futuristic theme. I'm fine with the two different themes. What I don't like is the way Tomorrowland looks. It should look a lot better, and it doesn't. I hate Innoventions and I'll take pretty much anything over it, including Iron Man.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom