Y'all should ...

Californian Elitist

I don't want to speak for the Panther, but, at least to me, Disneyland is sacred ground. I personally think only actual Disney properties should be included. And yes, I know Marvel is Disney now, but there's no connection there besides ownership and Marvel has a 50 year history before Disney.

I'm a Star Wars maniac, but I don't want to see Star Tours at DL either. It just doesn't work IMO. DCA is the perfect place for that stuff.

Understandable, but at this point, I wouldn't expect pure Disney things to be in the park. There's already a Star Tours and an Indiana Jones presence. Plus, almost everything Disney is borrowed work. When you think about it, technically there are only a few original ideas in Disneyland.

I think Star Wars works fine in Tomorrowland. There's no land for it at DCA, and please don't say Hollywood Land. Thematically, it wouldn't fit there.

Taylor

I don't know.
They need capacity at FHS, specifically in the family-friendly rides. Might have to expand Mater...
I guess they could use another Pixar property for a high capacity family ride as part of the expansion would the MI coaster be a family ride or is it a thrill ride?

J03Y

tumblr_m1thi5VB6b1r51wah.gif

but seriously though, i really don't care if they bring it to WDW. i'm sure they can devise other more exciting ways to reel guests in. although i do admit bringing in the Radiator Springs Racers to Pixar Place in MGM is a smart idea.

doctornick

I guess they could use another Pixar property for a high capacity family ride as part of the expansion would the MI coaster be a family ride or is it a thrill ride?

The sense I get is the the door coaster (were it to happen) would be a modest thrill ride, but would probably have a height restriction. At a minimum, we are probably talking about 36".

I would certainly hope that if they go with a full Carsland that they have 3 attractions as part of it. If they wanted to go simple, they could easily replace Luigi's with a tire themed Teacup ride.

As for space, from the mockups people have done, it seems like a full Carsland would leave some space at the entrance of the Backlot Tour and LMA to fit in another attraction. Something like Flik's Fliers or Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin could fit there (I'm not advocating cloning them specifically, but something of that sort could be possible).

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
And another new ship or two isn't far away either.
wwaaaaaa???? Do tell, do tell. I'm interested, but this concerns me as they can't fill the ships they have. The classic ships are constantly having CM discounts, so unless the plan is to sell the classics and build 2 more and keep the fleet at 4, I'd be completely against an expansion to a 6 ship fleet. Perhaps this needs a new topic :)

Ignohippo

If that's the case, Disney needs to close Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters, Finding Nemo Submarines (both Pixar properties predate purchase), Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Indiana Jones Adventure, and Tom Sawyer Island.

Pixar was always distributed by Disney. Roger Rabbit was Touchstone (which is Disney).

Indy and Star Wars do not fit in DL IMO.

Lee

Adventurer
wwaaaaaa???? Do tell, do tell. I'm interested, but this concerns me as they can't fill the ships they have. The classic ships are constantly having CM discounts, so unless the plan is to sell the classics and build 2 more and keep the fleet at 4, I'd be completely against an expansion to a 6 ship fleet. Perhaps this needs a new topic :)
No need for a new topic.
I don't mean to say that they are prepared to order ships in the near future.
But, I do know that the cruise line is a cash machine for the company, and expansion within the decade is quite likely.

Pixiedustmaker

You're putting WAY too much faith in what Jay said. Never a good idea.

Let me lay it out here...
Avatar is barely moving. They haven't even finalized the attraction menu for it yet. It may happen....it may be postponed...or it may vanish. (Cameron doesn't care about the timeframe, he only cares that he gets what he wants attraction/quality-wise if it ever happens.)

Regardless, they are currently looking at major expansion at DHS NOW. Not in five ir six years. Far sooner. Like potentially breaking ground in a matter of months.

Assuming Avatar happens within the next year or two, both projects will be under way at the same time. Yes, simultaneously with Shanghai and Mr. Stark's thing at DL. And another new ship or two isn't far away either.

James Cameron is a very detailed oriented person, he'll want the time table to work for Avatarland and Avatar 2,3 . . . can't see him not caring about the timeline. Practically, if a DHS Carsland was put on the front burner, it would divert certain resources from Avatarland, such as cash.

Not sure what scale of time you're talking about, here you say that a new ship "isn't far away", and then in this same thread you say,

I don't mean to say that they are prepared to order ships in the near future.
But, I do know that the cruise line is a cash machine for the company, and expansion within the decade is quite likely.

So either a new ship isn't far away, or they *might* build one in the next decade due to the profitability?

Technically, Disney could break ground with an expansion of DHS "within months" or maybe it will happen in the next decade?

Say they decide to do both Avatar and Carsland. They want Avatar on under $400mil. Say another $400mil for Carsland. That's $800mil, spent over about three years. $200mil per year for capital investment at WDW isn't a huge pill to swallow.

That said, if I were to guess, I can see Carsland jumping to the front of the line while the whole Avatar mess gets sorted out. Purely a guess.

Despite this debate about pulling off Avatarland and Carsland at the same time, you should also consider the work that will need to be done on Shanghai. Beyond conceptualization and design, and even including that, WDI would need to expand their labor force that much more to tackle *3* projects happening at the same time.

We know Shanghai will open in 2015/6, and that Avatarland is aiming for a similar date, beyond $$$, there is the talent pool factor, and the reality that doing construction projects in different locations at the same time will be more expensive than if done sequentially. Doing Avatarland and Shanghai at once, essentially, will be hard enough without trying to also break ground on Carsland in a "couple months" in DHS, or whatever big project is being hinted at.

flynnibus

Premium Member
FWIW, Mater at DCA does have separate sides. They only use one side first thing in the morning before it gets too busy.

I know.. But the joke was about taking a popular attraction... And just build two of them rather than come up with some new :). And also ties into the drop in dumbo demand after building the dueling ones

DKampy

I think this is particularly true since DHS is a park that where the experience is similar to that of USF/IOA and might be a more likely "skip" for guests vacationing in central Florida. MK/Epcot/DAK all offer a more unique theme park option to retain attendance (though stuff like Seaworld versus DAK is at least in the same genre).

I agree...Which is why RSR and carsland makes perfect sense...most logical option to combat UNI is with a proven winner at Hollywood Studios...common sense tells me...fast track cars land.

MarkTwain

Is it definitely Stark's thing in Disneyland? Does that mean Tony's thing isn't happening and the other Strawberry based thing isn't happening either?

Someone on MiceChat talked to him personally about this... Tony's project is in Frontierland and apparently he has almost no involvement with what's happening in Tomorrowland. Supposedly this project is quite large and will be the culmination of his career before he retires. Also, he said the fate of the project depends the success of a certain movie, but we MiceChatters never figured out whether that referred to Oz or the Lone Ranger.

Go see both, just in case.

PurpleRose

I brought the age for a reason. While Peter Pan, Dumbo and It's a small World are older than Indiana Jones Spectacular, those attractions are timeless and it why they are still popular today.

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular is suffering from the same thing as the original Star Tours did. While the Franchises of Star Wars and Indiana Jones are timeless, the attractions were not timeless. The original Star Tours wasn't aging gracefully when it was replaced by Star Tours: The Adventure Continues. Stunt Shows need to have changes after a while to keep the show fresh and Disney never did that for Indiana Jones. If Disney doesn't bother updating or changing the show once in a while, they might as well get a rid of it.

The other thing to look at is how many people would see a stunt show multiple times without any changes to the show itself. Let's say if people go to WDW once every 3 to 5 years, It is likely that the person wouldn't be seeing a Stunt show every trip without changes. I didn't go to Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular every trip because there isn't an changes and I am sure a lot of people do the same thing.

Indy needs to be updated but I'm in the "I've got to see the stunt show every time I'm at DHS" boat. I go once a year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom