Y'all should ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, I don't want to look up the articles, but it has been several years now where Iger has told Wall St. that discounts at WDW would be ramping down. Then, every year, the same old discounts show up. Executives tell investors what they want to hear, and then do what they think needs to be done.

They did ramp down.. you don't see the birthday giveaways.. you don't see the same type of 2fer things going on in DL.. the room only discounts are smaller and less frequent... free dining isn't as common, and gets announced later.

They did cut back discounting from the peak, but they still manipulate free dining heavily to influence booking.

Yensid1974

Just looking for confirmation here on something that has been brought up. Is spending on the normal cycle of refurbishments/maintenance on the attractions/rides part of capex or does it fall under another heading of normal yearly spending? Just doesn't seem like capex for new projects would also be the same pile of money used for regular maintenance and refurbishments, but I acknowledge I could be wrong.

Taylor

I don't think that's possible for Disney....
I've been meaning to ask you this so I will do it now. What do you think of the motorbike coaster idea for avatar I think it's a cool idea in concept but I think there is some major potential capacity issues?

RSoxNo1

Assuming Avatar happens within the next year or two, both projects will be under way at the same time. Yes, simultaneously with Shanghai and Mr. Stark's thing at DL. And another new ship or two isn't far away either.

Is it definitely Stark's thing in Disneyland? Does that mean Tony's thing isn't happening and the other Strawberry based thing isn't happening either?

Cosmic Commando

They did ramp down.. you don't see the birthday giveaways.. you don't see the same type of 2fer things going on in DL.. the room only discounts are smaller and less frequent... free dining isn't as common, and gets announced later.

They did cut back discounting from the peak, but they still manipulate free dining heavily to influence booking.
Do you really think free dining is less frequent? I am only one person and not a travel agent so I don't have the whole picture, but free dining seems to be everywhere! Mousesavers has a list of discounts going back to 2009 with the stay dates and the booking dates. 2009 and 2010: free dining in the fall. 2011 and 2012: free dining in January, February, March, Memorial Day Weekend in 2011, and in addition to the normal "August/Sept then extended through December" free dining. They even had free dining available for the shiny new Art of Animation this year! Again, I don't have the whole picture, but I'd hardly say that free dining is less common or announced significantly later.

Cosmic Commando

Is it definitely Stark's thing in Disneyland? Does that mean Tony's thing isn't happening and the other Strawberry based thing isn't happening either?
lol, it's a safe place here; you don't have to speak in code.

Was Tony's thing the Frontierland plot, or did he have something he was working on in Tomorrowland, too? I just assumed, given his history, that he would be in Frontierland. The rumors have been saying that there will be two major projects at DL.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just looking for confirmation here on something that has been brought up. Is spending on the normal cycle of refurbishments/maintenance on the attractions/rides part of capex or does it fall under another heading of normal yearly spending? Just doesn't seem like capex for new projects would also be the same pile of money used for regular maintenance and refurbishments, but I acknowledge I could be wrong.

According to the accounting rules normal maintenance is not capitalized. In order to capitalize work on an existing asset the work needs to extend the useful life of the existing asset. If you refurbish something like a ride vehicle or a section of track you can probably justify that it extends the useful life. Something like a new roof or the replacement of a major component would also be capitalized. Things like painting, cosmetic upkeep or minor repairs would be expensed. I would assume a major overhaul like BTMRR had this year would be primarily capitalized. I assume TDO has a budget for maintenance and major repairs both capital and expense (many here would doubt that budget actually exists;)). That budget would probably be kept separate from the budget for major new rides or attractions since different people would be managing them. I am not 100% sure on that since i dont have any inside info, just my assumption). At the end of the day it all ends up in the same place so even though they may be tracked separately they should probably be considered together.

Magenta Panther

You're putting WAY too much faith in what Jay said. Never a good idea.

Let me lay it out here...
Avatar is barely moving. They haven't even finalized the attraction menu for it yet. It may happen....it may be postponed...or it may vanish. (Cameron doesn't care about the timeframe, he only cares that he gets what he wants attraction/quality-wise if it ever happens.)

Regardless, they are currently looking at major expansion at DHS NOW. Not in five ir six years. Far sooner. Like potentially breaking ground in a matter of months.

Assuming Avatar happens within the next year or two, both projects will be under way at the same time. Yes, simultaneously with Shanghai and Mr. Stark's thing at DL. And another new ship or two isn't far away either.

Man, I just hate the idea of Marvel superheroes in Disneyland...uggghh...

doctornick

Regarding a possible Iron Man/Tommorrowland thing... it's interesting to note that such an attraction can't be copied at WDW. If that is a big draw E-ticket type, then perhaps it would make TDA less bothered by TDO cloning Carsland. Or, dare to dream, allow the Indy ride to come to Florida (maybe sometime in the future).

Lee

Adventurer
Looks like...still possible...no idea.
I've been meaning to ask you this so I will do it now. What do you think of the motorbike coaster idea for avatar I think it's a cool idea in concept but I think there is some major potential capacity issues?
I like the ride system and its potential. Should be great for Tron in Shanghai.
Theming it to Pandora would pose some interesting challenges.
The maintenance/refurb budget is separate from the new attraction money.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you really think free dining is less frequent? I am only one person and not a travel agent so I don't have the whole picture, but free dining seems to be everywhere!

It's hard to see external honestly.. because we don't see the capacity. But in the past, it was always available in the date window.. more recently there has been more reports of not getting what they first wanted.. and the availability (ancedotally) seems to be announced later. I do believe the overall discounts are down - but they are still there.

cheezbat

I think if something isn't done to DHS in the next 3-4 years, there's going to be an even bigger attendance falloff. DAK isn't in much better shape, but it seems to be more fresh than DHS at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay in the #3 spot in attendance of the WDW parks.
That said, with the new offerings coming to Uni and Sea World, IF things don't get moving soon at DHS, WDW may lose more and more visitors opting to hit up the other attractions instead.

doctornick

I think if something isn't done to DHS in the next 3-4 years, there's going to be an even bigger attendance falloff. DAK isn't in much better shape, but it seems to be more fresh than DHS at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay in the #3 spot in attendance of the WDW parks.
That said, with the new offerings coming to Uni and Sea World, IF things don't get moving soon at DHS, WDW may lose more and more visitors opting to hit up the other attractions instead.

I think this is particularly true since DHS is a park that where the experience is similar to that of USF/IOA and might be a more likely "skip" for guests vacationing in central Florida. MK/Epcot/DAK all offer a more unique theme park option to retain attendance (though stuff like Seaworld versus DAK is at least in the same genre).

Ignohippo

I don't want to speak for the Panther, but, at least to me, Disneyland is sacred ground. I personally think only actual Disney properties should be included. And yes, I know Marvel is Disney now, but there's no connection there besides ownership and Marvel has a 50 year history before Disney.

I'm a Star Wars maniac, but I don't want to see Star Tours at DL either. It just doesn't work IMO. DCA is the perfect place for that stuff.

Taylor

Lee do you think they are only going to put in RSR and Mater or will they come up with a different third ride for cars land

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom