Y'all should ...

Taylor

Well, all I can say is that they can "think" about adding Carsland to DHS, but its kinda meaningless at this point as plans change. Management obviously isn't going to lie to investors and the money men when they describe their spending plans over the coming half decade or so.

Not sure who did the "pitching and presenting" as the whole company knows that Carsland is really pulling guests into DCA, sounds kind of superfluous and premature. After all, the development is done, what is there to pitch?? Remember, Carsland hasn't been open even a year, how big is big, is the question, and how well will Carsland stand up after the initial frenzy is over. Obviously, whatever "presentation" was made, it wouldn't have a lot of long terms facts regarding Carsland's performance.

Carsland is Lasseter's baby, if anybody has any questions about cloning Carsland, they just need to ask his input.
Weird that sounds awfully familiar with the early criticism of Potter Land ( and we all know how that turned out)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Management obviously isn't going to lie to investors and the money men when they describe their spending plans over the coming half decade or so.

Not sure who did the "pitching and presenting" as the whole company knows that Carsland is really pulling guests into DCA, sounds kind of superfluous and premature. After all, the development is done, what is there to pitch?? Carsland is Lasseter's baby, if anybody has any questions about cloning Carsland, they just need to ask his input.

It's not a lie. Companies plan things all the time that they do not announce publicly. When you see a press release about the project then they will start talking about it publicly. As the CFO he would be in big trouble if he let the cat out of the bag to investors on a project that is not even approved. The statement was that capital spending would decline in 2013. That would be true if Carsland or a DHS expansion was announced today. They spent billions on cruise ships, DVC in HI, DCA 2.0 and FLE. RSR cost somewhere in the ballpark of a few hundred million and would take 3+ years to build. Capital spending would be down even if it began in 2013.

twebber55

Yep.
They could build Carsland and Avatar both and still be spending less than the last few years.

Pitches involved TDO, WDI and Burbank.
I'm told it went well, but wasn't approved in the room. This week will be important due to the fiscal year starting next Monday. They gotta decide where the money's going.
Lee do i hear a smidge of optimism in your voice?

John

Incorrect.
Pitches/presentations were made as recently as last week for DHS expansion.

As much as I highly respect you Lee, Is it not a fact that Pitches/presentations are made often? The things we have heard on this board alone over the last few years could fill a fifth gate. Lee what do you think? Is there a possibility of TWO major attractions being built at the same time?

SirLink

Well, all I can say is that they can "think" about adding Carsland to DHS, but its kinda meaningless at this point as plans change. Management obviously isn't going to lie to investors and the money men when they describe their spending plans over the coming half decade or so.

I'm sure a lot of ink has been spilled on concept work for rides/attractions/expansions that never happened. No doubt they are dreaming stuff for many years in the future, post Avatar, post Shanghai, but the talk on this message was that Carsland at DHS is a done deal, and I very much doubt that is the case (tongue in cheek).

Executives lie to shareholders all the time.

Taylor

Yep.
They could build Carsland and Avatar both and still be spending less than the last few years.

I'm told it went well, but wasn't approved in the room. This week will be important due to the fiscal year starting next Monday. They gotta decide where the money's going.
Lee was avatar talked about at the meeting?

Pixiedustmaker

If they are waiting until around 2020 to add anything (beyond Avatar) of significance to WDW, then the company is in huge trouble... Attendance is crawling along with a measley 1% increase last year - and that is coupled with steep discounting throughout the year. This year has been no different. Compared to Universal - a resort that offers very little by way of discounts, and has merch sales going through the roof.

So Avatarland opens 2015/6, Shanghai Disneyland opens December 2016, obviously, in 2016, the company isn't going to start on a massive construction project anywhere. If they started a Carsland in DHS in 2017, it could in theory open around 2020, assuming a 3-year construction schedule.

The article I posted seems to make it clear that there won't be a massive construction project(s) for the company like 2011/12, when Carsland and FLE were both being worked on, outside of Avatarland.

John

Yep.

Hmmmmmmmm.....maybe this answers my question.....or not.

Lee

Adventurer
Lee do i hear a smidge of optimism in your voice?
Eh...I guess. They're gonna build something.. That's always a good thing.
As much as I highly respect you Lee, Is it not a fact that Pitches/presentations are made often? The things we have heard on this board alone over the last few years could fill a fifth gate. Lee what do you think? Is there a possibility of TWO major attractions being built at the same time?
This wasn't a blue-sky pitch. This was a for-real "Here is what we wanna do and how much it'll cost" kinda thing.
I could see them doing both, but they may not have to.
Lee was avatar talked about at the meeting?
Surely.

menamechris

So Avatarland opens 2015/6, Shanghai Disneyland opens December 2016, obviously, in 2016, the company isn't going to start on a massive construction project anywhere. If they started a Carsland in DHS in 2017, it could in theory open around 2020, assuming a 3-year construction schedule.

The article I posted seems to make it clear that there won't be a massive construction project(s) for the company like 2011/12, when Carsland and FLE were both being worked on, outside of Avatarland.

Have you read the several responses to those comments? Compared to what has been spent between the cruise line (billions of dollars right there), DCA (another billion+), NextGen (billion), etc., there is no way TWDC will be racking up that kind fo tab no matter what they decide to do with these projects at WDW. Even Shanghai isn't that much to Disney in the grand scheme, because they are sharing costs (as per your article).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not to institutional shareholders, which Disney has a lot of, and not like that about the big deals.

Yes, they do. I work for a company whose stock is almost exclusively owned by institutional shareholders. This happens all of the time. Strategic plans are never released to the public when they are just in the planning phase. Nobody is saying the project has already been approved by the board and is ready to break ground.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes, they do. I work for a company whose stock is almost exclusively owned by institutional shareholders. This happens all of the time. Strategic plans are never released to the public when they are just in the planning phase. Nobody is saying the project has already been approved by the board and is ready to break ground.
In all the magic sometimes people forget that Disney is a business...and being in the business of "magic" is a very hard sell.

Pixiedustmaker

It's not a lie. Companies plan things all the time that they do not announce publicly. When you see a press release about the project then they will start talking about it publicly. As the CFO he would be in big trouble if he let the cat out of the bag to investors on a project that is not even approved. The statement was that capital spending would decline in 2013. That would be true if Carsland or a DHS expansion was announced today. They spent billions on cruise ships, DVC in HI, DCA 2.0 and FLE. RSR cost somewhere in the ballpark of a few hundred million and would take 3+ years to build. Capital spending would be down even if it began in 2013.

Well, institutional investors and their analysts want hard numbers. Carsland costed about $600 million, and was announced, when? 2007? It is hard to hide something this big, cover it up, and still have the trust of the institutional investors. If they want to axe Avatarland, and do Carsland, they could do that, but I don't see the money to do both.

We've all seen "droughts" at the parks, after Avatarland, don't really see a big expansion at WDW. Maybe an E-Ticket years later . . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom