Yak & Yeti Starts taking Reservations on 12/3/07

teebin

Darn, I was really hoping for more Indian and Thai inspired dishes. I am sorry to sound negative but this menu seems really mundane and commonplace for the prices they are charging. Tell me that the following doesn't sound more interesting:

MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
(Deliciously Spiced Seasonal Fresh Lentil, Tomato & Chicken Broth)

DAAL SHORBA SOUP
(Our Hearty Stew of Fresh Vegetables, Split Peas & Lentils)

COCONUT SOUP
(Creamy Shredded Coconut, Milk, Coconut Cream & Pistachio)

Appetizers

Nizam's Choice
Mixed Platter with Samosa, Pakora, Rikki Tikki Tabi, and Pappadam

Rikki Tikki Tabi
Deep fried spiced vegetablesSamosa
Shredded potatoes and green pea turnovers deep fried

Breads

Garlic Onion Kulcha
mild-unleavened bread filled with garlic, onions & spices.

Keema Naan
Clay oven bread stuffed with very lean minced lamb mixed with herbs and spices.

Kabuli Naan
Clay oven bread stuffed with coconut, raisins, cashew, and almond

Chicken Specialties

Chicken Dansak
Boneless chicken sauteed with ginger, garlic, onions, and spices

Chicken Shami Shorma
Cashews, raisins, almonds, and creamy sauce

Chicken Tikka Masala
Roasted chicken in a spicy creamed tomato sauce

Lamb Specialties

Lamb Curry
Cubes of lamb cooked in onion, tomatoes, herbs, and spices

Keema Mutter
Ancient recipe of ground lamb, peas, coriander, and ginger

Lamb Vindaloo
Lamb with onion sauce and potatoes spiced according to the choice of the customer.

Kungaloosh

I too am hoping for something more in keeping with the ethnic theming implied by the name Yak & Yeti. Disney has shown with Jiko and Boma that they are capable of serving quality ethnic food, and that cuisines that aren't common to the mainstream American experience can be successful with the public at large. If the menu is limited to the American-style Chinese items above, I'd rather grab some Panda Express at the airport on the way in and eat at one of the African-inspired restaurants at the Lodge.

I do greatly enjoy Thai and Indian food, and I'd find that an acceptable offering at Yak & Yeti. But as most visitors to WDW will be able to find Thai & Indian restaurants in their home neighborhoods, I think it would be great if Tibetan and possibly Mongolian dishes were offerered. These are things most of us will likely not have an opportunity to try otherwise, and I'd go out of my way to eat at Yak & Yeti if I had the opportunity to try something new.

Anthony Bourdain, in his Travel Channel show No Reservations, made a trip to China that ended in Tibet (this episode's next airing will be Dec 17 11PM E/P). The food he tried looked very interesting, and was very tasty according to him. It of course featured Yak, but I'm sure beef could be substituted for Yak reasonably well. And then there's the yak butter tea, which I've read is surprisingly good. I'd try it!

A little research on the web revealed that Mongolian cuisine does not include "Hot Pot", Chinese restaurant "Mongolian Beef", or "Mongolian" BBQ" (although I read an American chain has opened a "Mongolian BBQ" place in Ulaanbaatar!). Looks like typical dishes are steamed or fried meat-filled dumplings and stews featuring lamb or mutton, yak, and beef. Both Mongolian and Tibetan cuisines also seem to include a lot of dairy as well, including yogurt and cheeses. If anyone has had real Tibetan or Mongolian food, I'd love to hear about your experiences!

I've had Nepalese food before, and it seemed heavily influenced by Indian cuisine. I'd think that would be an easy addition to the menu.

Whatever the table service menu ends up like, I hope they make it a little more interesting than the typical Cantonese/Sichuan/Mandarin available everywhere (including World Showcase). Unfortunately, I'd cynically expect that Landry's, left to their own devices, will go for the lowest hanging fruit, thinking that the great unwashed will eat whatever is put before them, as long as it isn't different.

WDW is all about new sensations: the feeling of thrilling rides, the sights of detailed scenery, the smells of burning Rome, stinkbugs, or orange groves, the sounds of music, laughter and screams. I think new tastes should be part of the experience as well, especially if they are attuned to wonderful environments the imagineers have created!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
All it needed to serve was:

Tom Kai Guy (the coconut soup)
Panang Chicken (chicken with a curry)
Amazing Beef (beef with peanut sauce)

And I would of rushed to get there for opening and made serval ressies to bring friend. Since it offers food I have no interest in rather then some mix of thai food, i'm not planning on going unless I hear about a menu change.

bhg469

All it needed to serve was:

Tom Kai Guy (the coconut soup)
Panang Chicken (chicken with a curry)
Amazing Beef (beef with peanut sauce)

And I would of rushed to get there for opening and made serval ressies to bring friend. Since it offers food I have no interest in rather then some mix of thai food, i'm not planning on going unless I hear about a menu change.

You read my mind sir!! Throw in some summer rolls, pad thai and tom yum soup and im in heaven.

Brian Noble

Amazing. Only a sample menu, and already the restaurant is disappointing. You know, folks could actually wait until the place opens before declaring it Worst Restaurant Ever.

Kungaloosh

Amazing. Only a sample menu, and already the restaurant is disappointing. You know, folks could actually wait until the place opens before declaring it Worst Restaurant Ever.

Oh no, I'm still hoping it'll be great. Don't misunderstand me. I'm just hoping the table service menu will be more extensive. But if it is only Chinese food, I'll head on over to Boma.

SirNim

Oh no, I'm still hoping it'll be great. Don't misunderstand me. I'm just hoping the table service menu will be more extensive. But if it is only Chinese food, I'll head on over to Boma.
I think a lot of my frustration with this sample menu comes from all the "maple" and "pineapple" and seafood and honey and mandarin (orange, I presume)... Which are all ingredients most assuredly not endemic to the Himalaya. And yet, these ingredients are not merely the ingredients of the dishes...they constitute part of the dishes' names!

That's my analysis of the situation FWIW.

(Still, I'm sure it'll all be delicious! ;))

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

Well... it is run by the same folks who run Rainforest... so no.. no... nothing would surprise me. :lol::lookaroun

I shall give it a try in a few weeks, before I totally write it off though. :wave:

DiPSU224

I think it'll be interesting to try. I'm obsessed with crab rangoons so hopefully the cream cheese wontons will be similar. Weve never experienced a table service at DAK or have really been at the park after 3 pm so it'll be something new to try out.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I would have loved to see a bit more of an eclectic and adventurous menu I can understand why the menu is a more mainstream Asian one. Unlike Jiko's that is small, in a resort, and ultra high end Yak and Yeti will have to serve the masses at AK. I have a feeling that if the menu consisted mainly of food that the typical McDonald's dinner considered weird along with the price tag associated with exotic dishes Yak and Yeti would have a hard time filling all the seats.

Hopefully when this place has been opened for a little while we will start to see some exotic additions to the menu.

bhg469

No one has said its the worst but if that was an actual description of the food consider it a huge let down. Asian dining to me includes alot more variety than panda express..

No where in the world are you able to get thai or indian food, both of which are really good. I hope the full menu shows that they have more up their sleeves.

Pete C

Am I taking crazy pills?? What are you guys talking about...half the menu is Indian food...not Chinese! You find me a Chinese restaurant, much less Panda Express, that sells Vindaloo, Dansak, Chicken Tikka Masala, Naan, etc.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Am I taking crazy pills?? What are you guys talking about...half the menu is Indian food...not Chinese! You find me a Chinese restaurant, much less Panda Express, that sells Vindaloo, Dansak, Chicken Tikka Masala, Naan, etc.
Are you by chance looking at this menu posted earlier in this discussion? (see quote below) This is not the actual menu from the Yak and Yeti in AK but rather a mesh of several other Indian resturants of the same name. Kind of a wish menu so to speak. The actual menu has not been released yet but contains the fare listed by the OP which is pretty much mainstream Asian..

MULLIGATAWNY SOUP
(Deliciously Spiced Seasonal Fresh Lentil, Tomato & Chicken Broth)

DAAL SHORBA SOUP
(Our Hearty Stew of Fresh Vegetables, Split Peas & Lentils)

COCONUT SOUP
(Creamy Shredded Coconut, Milk, Coconut Cream & Pistachio)

Appetizers

Nizam's Choice
Mixed Platter with Samosa, Pakora, Rikki Tikki Tabi, and Pappadam

Rikki Tikki Tabi
Deep fried spiced vegetablesSamosa
Shredded potatoes and green pea turnovers deep fried

Breads

Garlic Onion Kulcha
mild-unleavened bread filled with garlic, onions & spices.

Keema Naan
Clay oven bread stuffed with very lean minced lamb mixed with herbs and spices.

Kabuli Naan
Clay oven bread stuffed with coconut, raisins, cashew, and almond

Chicken Specialties

Chicken Dansak
Boneless chicken sauteed with ginger, garlic, onions, and spices

Chicken Shami Shorma
Cashews, raisins, almonds, and creamy sauce

Chicken Tikka Masala
Roasted chicken in a spicy creamed tomato sauce

Lamb Specialties

Lamb Curry
Cubes of lamb cooked in onion, tomatoes, herbs, and spices

Keema Mutter
Ancient recipe of ground lamb, peas, coriander, and ginger

Lamb Vindaloo
Lamb with onion sauce and potatoes spiced according to the choice of the customer.

Pete C

Are you by chance looking at this menu posted earlier in this discussion? (see quote below) This is not the actual menu from the Yak and Yeti in AK but rather a mesh of several other Indian resturants of the same name. Kind of a wish menu so to speak. The actual menu has not been released yet but contains the fare listed by the OP which is pretty much mainstream Asian..

Ahhhh...I see. My bad, I was looking at the wish list menu.

Tim G

And what has Indian food to do with Nepal??? :shrug: :lookaroun

If I wanted to eat Indian food, I would go to some good Indian restaurant in town...
Not some joint run by RainForest people...

I was expecting things like:

Chatanmar
That's something like what you call pizza. It is prepared from rice flour with minced meat or egging topping or also can be prepared plainly. It is mainly eaten in Digu Puja.

Wo
A flat cake of mashed lentils with or without egg/minced meat topping.

Samay Baji
A ritual set of five dishes representing Pancha Tatwa. It constitutes Baji, Samay (flattened rice), chhoyla (roasted meat), sanya (smoked fish), palu (sliced ginger) and aila (wine).

Chhoyla
Spicy meat, ether roasted or boiled known as haku chhoyla or mana chhoyla. It is generally served with flattened rice and homemade wine.

Sukula
Dried meat diced and spiced.

Tahkha
A jelly-like meat.

Jyona/beli
Boiled rice

Ken
Lentil soup served with rice.

Wauncha
Green vegetables, especially mustard/spinach in feasts.

Boobah
Bean curry.

La
Meat curries, various verities : Pukala (fried), Gorma (white jellied meat), Dayakala (curried meat), for instance.

Sanan
Pickle, usually hot.

Sanya khuna or Nya khuna
Jellied fish soup.

Paun kwa
Sour soup made from hog plum.

Juju dhau
Yogurt of high quality.

Pachinta mari
Sweet made of wheat flour and sugar, a must in Pastah Bhoye (high class wedding feast) which is taken away to home.

Thon
White beer, made of fermented rice. It too has some types : hyaun thon (red one), taku thon (thick one) etc.

Aila
Colorless homemade liquor.

Or a good buffet with:

Baji - Flattened rice
Della - Meat, placed on the top of baji
Tahkha - Jelly meat
Chhakoola - A peace of meat in curry
Wauncha (Tukan) - Green vegetable (mustard)
Bhuti - White beans
Phasi - Pumpkin curry
Dayekala - Meat in curry
Dugula - Mutton
Hayenla - Meat curry with a lot of ginger
Gorma - White jellied meat
Lainsoo - Curry made from dried radish
Simpu - Bean curry
Tahkugu Pukala - Big slice of fried meat
Cheekugu Pukala - small pieces of fried meat
Pahmaya - Curry made from green pulses
Hamoh Kwa - Sesame seed curry
Chhon Kwa - Bamboo shoot soup
Dhau - Yoghurt
Sakhah - Brown sugar to accompany dhau
Sisabusa - Raw radish, raw peas and fresh fruit pieces
Aila - Homemade liquor
Pachinta mari - Sweet (taken away home)

And where is the Yak milk and Yak cheeses...

Buried20KLeague

If I wanted to eat Indian food, I would go to some good Indian restaurant in town...

I was expecting things like:

Chatanmar
That's something like what you call pizza. It is prepared from rice flour with minced meat or egging topping or also can be prepared plainly. It is mainly eaten in Digu Puja.

Wo
A flat cake of mashed lentils with or without egg/minced meat topping.

Samay Baji
A ritual set of five dishes representing Pancha Tatwa. It constitutes Baji, Samay (flattened rice), chhoyla (roasted meat), sanya (smoked fish), palu (sliced ginger) and aila (wine).

Chhoyla
Spicy meat, ether roasted or boiled known as haku chhoyla or mana chhoyla. It is generally served with flattened rice and homemade wine.

Sukula
Dried meat diced and spiced.

Tahkha
A jelly-like meat.

Jyona/beli
Boiled rice

Ken
Lentil soup served with rice.

Wauncha
Green vegetables, especially mustard/spinach in feasts.

Boobah
Bean curry.

La
Meat curries, various verities : Pukala (fried), Gorma (white jellied meat), Dayakala (curried meat), for instance.

Sanan
Pickle, usually hot.

Sanya khuna or Nya khuna
Jellied fish soup.

Paun kwa
Sour soup made from hog plum.

Juju dhau
Yogurt of high quality.

Pachinta mari
Sweet made of wheat flour and sugar, a must in Pastah Bhoye (high class wedding feast) which is taken away to home.

Thon
White beer, made of fermented rice. It too has some types : hyaun thon (red one), taku thon (thick one) etc.

Aila
Colorless homemade liquor.

Or a good buffet with:

Baji - Flattened rice
Della - Meat, placed on the top of baji
Tahkha - Jelly meat
Chhakoola - A peace of meat in curry
Wauncha (Tukan) - Green vegetable (mustard)
Bhuti - White beans
Phasi - Pumpkin curry
Dayekala - Meat in curry
Dugula - Mutton
Hayenla - Meat curry with a lot of ginger
Gorma - White jellied meat
Lainsoo - Curry made from dried radish
Simpu - Bean curry
Tahkugu Pukala - Big slice of fried meat
Cheekugu Pukala - small pieces of fried meat
Pahmaya - Curry made from green pulses
Hamoh Kwa - Sesame seed curry
Chhon Kwa - Bamboo shoot soup
Dhau - Yoghurt
Sakhah - Brown sugar to accompany dhau
Sisabusa - Raw radish, raw peas and fresh fruit pieces
Aila - Homemade liquor
Pachinta mari - Sweet (taken away home)

And where is the Yak milk and Yak cheeses...

Huh-huh. He said "boobah". :D

:lol:

luckyeye13

I got to eat there today!

I had a chance to eat at the Quick Service location at Yak & Yeti today as one of my managers had gotten us tickets for a free test meal there. The food was pretty good and the portions were definitely quite ample. I did notice, though, that the posted prices were very high. If I remember correctly, my entree of sweet and sour pork with steamed rice would have cost $9.99 according to the menu board. Also, based on the menu at the sit-down restaurant that was posted on this site, most of the food inside is also available at the Quick Service location outside.

bhg469

But there is no indian or thai or vietnamese food anywhere in Disney. It would be a welcomed addition to Asia and not just feature Nepalese food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom