wouldn't this be the best time for construction on WDW?

disney4life2008

Epcot needs it. It's a logistical nightmare. I thought Hollywood studios was bad when it was under renovation but epcot is horrible. There is absolutely nothing to do in epcot right now. The use the disguise of the festival but if you remove that, epcot is a bore.

Hollywood studios is still boring but at least there are shows like fantasmic.

lazyboy97o

I think you are underplaying the power Disney has.
I am not. Some things just take time. Other jobs are committed by contract. There is also Disney themselves as they often utilize aspects of fastrack project delivery which overlaps design and construction, so there is a point where what to do becomes an unknown.

SplashJacket

Yes. Where did you get your news from anout closing for 3 months in the next two weeks?

I believe its the leader of the UK equivalent of the CDC put out a statement that stated to expect schools to close for 13-16 weeks, however, they're very reluctant to do it. Whether the government enforces this is another story. It will definitely be enforced before too long.

I live in Atlanta and all schools are closed until Mid-April with the expectation to continue to close as needed which will end up being until the school year ends in late May.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I believe its the leader of the UK equivalent of the CDC put out a statement that stated to expect schools to close for 13-16 weeks. Whether the government enforces this is another story. It will definitely be enforced before too long..
Nope. Right now the government is ignoring calls to close schools. It’s causing a lot of political fall out in the UK but they consider keeping them open the lesser of the two evils.

Nubs70

Capex projects come with cash flow projections. When shown on a graph, a proper plan shows the expenditure to income span as a hockey stick with the sharpest and shallowest inflection point as possible.
Given the current situation, continued expenditure with unknown start of income will leave a very deep inflection point with a very slow return to profitability. I would fully expect Reflections construction to be suspended, projects close to completion be finished to an acceptable state to mothblall, and main construction to take on the State of the POP expansion of the 2000"s

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Has it been mentioned that UK/Ireland foreign national flights to the US will be shutdown Monday at 00:00.

Sorry if I am late to the party.
Yes, at Monday night at midnight. 0400 GMT Tuesday. 53 hours left for repatriation.

SplashJacket

Nope. Right now the government is ignoring calls to close schools. It’s causing a lot of political fall out in the UK but they consider keeping them open the lesser of the two evils.

Looked into it and apparently the Chief Scientific Adviser, Sir Patrick stated: "Schools its true there are some effect in closing schools but that effect is minimal, and actually you’d have to do it for 13 to 16 weeks or longer and you don’t need to be an advanced mathematician to work out that the chances of keeping children speaking or playing with each over 13 to 16 weeks is zero."

What I had previously read had ignored the second half and completely nitpicked the quote. My bad.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Every time it’s slow the first instinct from fans is “now they can build stuff cheap/more easily”

In practice...they practice austerity to service the stock lords and actually reduce investment.

Counterintuitive, but just the way it is.

If this is a temporary, but lengthy closure (by their standards - weeks)...who knows?

Wdw has had contingency plans for hurricane ride out/response...but those are different. We adapted those responses in 2001...which ended being a week long logistics problem and then extended slow after...but that was different as well as airline travel was the major disruption.

I have no idea where this goes and neither do they...so who the hell knows?

ImperfectPixie

Every time it’s slow the first instinct from fans is “now they can build stuff cheap/more easily”

In practice...they practice austerity to service the stock lords and actually reduce investment.

Counterintuitive, but just the way it is.

If this is a temporary, but lengthy closure (by their standards - weeks)...who knows?

Wdw has had contingency plans for hurricane ride out/response...but those are different. We adapted those responses in 2001...which ended being a week long logistics problem and then extended slow after...but that was different as well as airline travel was the major disruption.

I have no idea where this goes and neither do they...so who the hell knows?
And that's part of the problem with this crisis. People are panicking and hoarding food/supplies, but there's been no interruption to supply lines because this isn't a storm or terrorist threat/war. We're not being physically isolated by water/snow/physical danger...we're being asked to minimize being out in public. I keep getting images in my head of the Colorado town pictured in the OG Red Dawn movie...minus the soldiers, of course.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And that's part of the problem with this crisis. People are panicking and hoarding food/supplies, but there's been no interruption to supply lines because this isn't a storm or terrorist threat/war. We're not being physically isolated by water/snow/physical danger...we're being asked to minimize being out in public. I keep getting images in my head of the Colorado town pictured in the OG Red Dawn movie...minus the soldiers, of course.
Looks like a spike in food/supplies for the next week or so and then the crisis will dictate.

No matter what happens - the travel industry is screwed for the first half to 3/4 of this year. That’s without more economic turmoil.
Then the pattern is to overcompensate and try to overload on vacation and leisure after. But that’s assuming no big economic retraction.

I have a few contacts still in wholesale travel who have stated Disney was ADAMANT that no major discounts or provisions were going to be used to bridge 19/20 into 2021...
Well karma is a “ ain’t it?? It’s going to be taken out of their control and look for all that “affordable” nonsense to return. Just a guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Capex projects come with cash flow projections. When shown on a graph, a proper plan shows the expenditure to income span as a hockey stick with the sharpest and shallowest inflection point as possible.
Given the current situation, continued expenditure with unknown start of income will leave a very deep inflection point with a very slow return to profitability. I would fully expect Reflections construction to be suspended, projects close to completion be finished to an acceptable state to mothblall, and main construction to take on the State of the POP expansion of the 2000"s
This 👆🏻

Beautiful summation of the assessment mechanisms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom