Wouldn't it kind of suck if...

hammysammy59

If you have to be part of a mass evacuation because you were there in the first place? No. They don't owe you anything.....

Ah, that's true. No one plans Disney trips weeks, or months in advance, PLUS weather conditions are always 100% accurately predictable.

Blaming the guests is just as ridiculous as blaming Disney.

Obi

it's interesting how this topic came up as i was thinking about past wdw trips...

the trip that i went on, back in the 90's, was a VERY interesting trip and a LONG story that does include a hurricane.... grant it, by the time it reached that far inland it changed to a tropical storm catagory. however, it was rather interesting to say the least...

i'll have to start another thread to share with everyone ALL that happened on that trip.. it's unbelievable, but true...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Ah, that's true. No one plans Disney trips weeks, or months in advance, PLUS weather conditions are always 100% accurately predictable.

Blaming the guests is just as ridiculous as blaming Disney.

I'm not blaming anyone. But when I can see predicted paths of a storm 7-10 days out, and still travel to that area, I'm not going to look for an apology from anyone for my asinine decision....

SteveUK

I'm starting to think we are not going to get sense from the OP. I have heard the word 'apology' several times without any actual thought to the implications of such a phrase. Not meaning to be disrespectful, but this is clearly somebody who doesn't work in the legal profession and has no concept of how important language is.

An apology for weather? No, and it would be incredibly unusual and 'strange' to look for one.

5thGenTexan

John Hammond: All major theme parks have had delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!
Dr. Ian Malcolm: But, John. If the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

Now, if THAT happened I would demand an apology. :ROFLOL:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not meaning to be disrespectful, but this is clearly somebody who doesn't work in the legal profession and has no concept of how important language is.

I think the same thing when I see the words "epic proportions" immediately following something trivial, which seems to be the thing to do. Example, "Disneys decision to ________________________ is a failure of epic proportions".

CaptainShortty

What kind of apology? None. Compensation? None. Not Disney's fault.

Although, this does remind me of a time when it was a rainy afternoon headed into the Magic Kingdom. We boarded the tram, and the cast member said "don't worry folks, Magic Kingdom has a magic dome around it. It's doesn't rain at the Magic Kingdom!"

Now, thinking back. It did rain that day at the Magic Kindgom... I'll be having my lawyers contact Disney.

You'd be surprised how many people legitimately think there is a dome around MK or WDW. We get asked the question all the time. You can't help but laugh a little when someone asks you "Why is it raining?". :ROFLOL:

SteveUK

I don't mean to be pedantic, but standing in a courtroom five days a week, I have learnt to choose my words carefully. I guess that's why I don't have much patience for the crap I hear spouted too often. Maybe that makes me harsh or unreasonable...

Minnie1976

you're in your 2nd or 3rd day of vacation and find out there's a hurricane coming right to disney? Sure, this most likely won't happen since the parks are just out of the range of major hurricanes, but still, the evacuation would be massive. What kind of apology would you like to see disney give you if this did happen?

I'd say at the least a free vacation for x amount of days. After all, it's not like they're giving it to the whole world, just to those who had to go through the hassle of mass evacuations.

Granted, they track these type of storms all the time now, so like I said, the chances of this happening aren't overly high. I just picture this happening to the Griswolds, and since I was watching Vacation the other day this came to mind.
You evidently have not been in a hurricane or had to live in survival mode after. Be thankful you wouldn't have to evacuate and would have a safe place to stay and hopefully with electricity. The after the hurricane can be worse sometimes than going through it. Also until a hurricane hits land it can go anywhere checkout Katrina and Rita. Since Disney in the middle of Florida, hopefully there wouldn't be too much damage and with their resources would be able to restart a day or 2 after it passes and they have acessed the damage and make sure everything is in good working order.

The Mom

Premium Member
FWIW, Sony assured customers that their credit card information would be kept safe, and it was not, due to their failure to anticipate hackers getting around their security. It was a business move on their part to convince customers to trust them again, as many people would not have returned otherwise.

If my credit card information was stolen at WDW, due to their failure to protect it, I believe an apology would be in order. I would also be hesitant to trust them again, so a perk to regain my trust would not be an unreasonable expectation, IMO.

Most people understand that WDW has absolutely no control over the weather, and WDW makes that fact very clear in their "no ticket refunds due to weather" although they have made some exceptions for some special ticket events,
I would not expect any compensation beyond WDW doing everything in their power to keep me safe (although there is no way they can guarantee it) and with as little inconvenience as possible depending upon the circumstances.

During the few times that WDW had to close the parks due to something out of their control, and guests were forced to stay in their hotels, they provided entertainment and other perks at the hotels. And worked exceptionally hard to get the parks reopened ASAP. That's all that should be expected, and is a reasonable compensation.

Blueliner

This happened in 2004.

Id say it would add a little bit of fun to your vacation if one did come through

We actually were there when Hurricane Jeanne worked her magic on Florida.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast (eastern shore of Mobile Bay), so my family always has been pretty vigilant during hurricane season. Hurricane Ivan had just plowed straight through the state of Alabama. Fortunately, our family, friends and property were not harmed. Jeanne was meandering out in the Atlantic, and we were on the fence about whether we should try to make our planned trip to WDW. We decided to keep our travel plans, based on what Jeanne was doing at the time.

See this link for the crazy path this storm took -- http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20040927/track.20040927.jeanne.jpg

As I recall, we got in two good days at the parks. Although we were dealing with a good bit of rain, everything was okay, and the crowds were low. Then, on Saturday, we were at DHS, and they announced the park would be closing early (I think 7 pm). We got in a couple more rides, grabbed some counter service, and were out of the gates a little before the early closing.

Traffic north out of Florida was pretty bad, and we had difficulty finding a hotel (a lot of Florida residents were evacuating up I-75). We eventually started heading a bit west through Georgia and found some place to crash for the night.

It was a unique visit to WDW, and it looked to me like management had everytning under control. In hindsight, I am not sure we would try it again.

WDWLOYAL1971

you're in your 2nd or 3rd day of vacation and find out there's a hurricane coming right to disney? Sure, this most likely won't happen since the parks are just out of the range of major hurricanes, but still, the evacuation would be massive. What kind of apology would you like to see disney give you if this did happen?

I'd say at the least a free vacation for x amount of days. After all, it's not like they're giving it to the whole world, just to those who had to go through the hassle of mass evacuations.

Granted, they track these type of storms all the time now, so like I said, the chances of this happening aren't overly high. I just picture this happening to the Griswolds, and since I was watching Vacation the other day this came to mind.

Are you joking? :veryconfu Disney has no control over weather. Why would they apologize? Just like they track these storms, do your part and check the weather ahead of time. You're able to do so on the weather channel website. What do you want next, free rain ponchos because it rains? I don't think so.

WDWLOYAL1971

FWIW, Sony assured customers that their credit card information would be kept safe, and it was not, due to their failure to anticipate hackers getting around their security. It was a business move on their part to convince customers to trust them again, as many people would not have returned otherwise.

If my credit card information was stolen at WDW, due to their failure to protect it, I believe an apology would be in order. I would also be hesitant to trust them again, so a perk to regain my trust would not be an unreasonable expectation, IMO.

Most people understand that WDW has absolutely no control over the weather, and WDW makes that fact very clear in their "no ticket refunds due to weather" although they have made some exceptions for some special ticket events,
I would not expect any compensation beyond WDW doing everything in their power to keep me safe (although there is no way they can guarantee it) and with as little inconvenience as possible depending upon the circumstances.

During the few times that WDW had to close the parks due to something out of their control, and guests were forced to stay in their hotels, they provided entertainment and other perks at the hotels. And worked exceptionally hard to get the parks reopened ASAP. That's all that should be expected, and is a reasonable compensation.

Ditto!

SeaCastle

We went to WDW in late August of 2008, and Tropical Storm Faye lingered throughout half of our vacation. We even shifted what day we left (which was very easy thanks to Disney), and everything seemed to go off without a hitch.

But one must keep in mind that whilst we were ankle deep in puddles in EPCOT, throughout Central Florida, folks' homes were in over a foot of water, and yet CM's still showed up for work with a smile. Maintenance and operations departments busted their to get the parks up and running. So let's keep this in perspective- it's not just your vacation, but others' lives and well-being at stake.

CaptainJackNO

Or your wife having a gallbladder attack the morning of your last day at WDW and watching your 6 year old cry for 2 hours because you are leaving a day early. :(

puntagordabob

What kind of apology would you like to see disney give you if this did happen?

As a Resident of Florida I laughed really hard at this statement! :) Hurricanes are part of Florida's natural "landscape"..... just as earthquakes are for California....or snow is for Alaska....

If you do not want to chance experiencing a hurricane during the hurricane season (and they have been known to occur OUTSIDE of that traditional time period too!) then I suggest you pick another place to visit.....

What you will get from Disney is an apoligy that the weather (which as Martin stated is an Act of God) was poor for your vacation..... other than that you are going to be disappointed.....

PS....for the record I live in Punta Gorda, Florida.... I have seen the eye of a MAJOR hurricane: Charley in 2004.... so I am not simply someone talking crap. Here is a video of what our town experienced taken by a storm chaser. As you initially start the video youll be thinking "That isnt too bad at all!" BUT watch the entire clip and see if your opinion changes.....watch WHAT is flying by :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeM-cjTEEA8

Obi

ok... i've been debating on whether to reply to this thread by the question that was raised by the op or not...

i did reply about going through a tropical storm while in disney... didn't get into specifics about it. still debating on whether to tell that whole story or not...

however, i'm going to get back to the original point with another story...

i live very close to joplin, missouri... yes, the city that got ravaged by the tornado.... and yes i was there when it happened....

a buddy of mine, and i, literally left joplin city limits right as it was getting hit by the tornado. the devestation it left in it's path was/is mindblowing. after seeing all the pics on tv, internet and so on, STILL does NOT even come close to what it's like when you've actually been there and seen it with your own eyes....

now, being a survivor of that should i expect the city of joplin to issue me an apology or the manager of the restaurant we were at to comp me a free dinner, which btw the manager, employees and the customers that were still there during that time did NOT survive......

*shakes head*.... i'm just glad that we are still alive..... that is the last thing on my mind if i should get an apology or comped something.... the main concern was we were safe and others are safe. the main concern was getting help to those that needed it. the main concern was NOT looking for an apology.....

over 150 people died in that tornado... it was a tragic event...

i think the last thing on disney's mind is issueing an apology or giving away stuff for something that is beyond their control. i'm sure their main concern is everyone's safety....

puntagordabob

now, being a survivor of that should i expect the city of joplin to issue me an apology or the manager of the restaurant we were at to comp me a free dinner, which btw the manager, employees and the customers that were still there during that time did NOT survive......

It was a tragedy there for sure, glad you and your friend were fortunate to have avoided harm.

As for your point I couldnt agree with you more!!!!

+1!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom