Would you work at WDW for ...... FREE?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Five days at Disney does not pay my bills. And we are talking about shills who get compensated to up talk Disney. Plenty of that on youtube too.

ok

Five hours a week is not a full time job. An equitable amount of time at any other job wouldn't pay for those things.

You need to compare a second part-time job (or a full-time homemaker's part-time job) with other part-time jobs.

Minnesota disney fan

I already "work" at WDW for free, while on vacation. I sometimes pick stuff like empty bottles and put them in the trash, or if I see something out of place or messed up, I try to fix it myself!

I would gladly pay Disney to take my retired dad and keep him occupied, a couple of hours a day. :cautious:😅
I do the same thing, Nunu. I will pick up trash, papers, etc and put them in the trash. Not if they are too messy though, Ick! I do that everywhere! It irritates that some people won't use a trash can that is right there close by!

Goofyernmost

- The people making the decision about how much to pay someone judges by what is being done to deserve that extra money. It is basic. -

Not really - - - there are so many variables here, it is not that simple.
Since I cannot actually list all the variables, the fact remains that the person making the decision will judge by what is being done to deserve it and they have put in all the variables to make the judgement. As a unit, we ourselves, consider ourselves to be the best thing since sliced bread. That very seldom proves to be a reality. But the non-flexible part is that is someone else makes that judgment no matter what they base it on.

ThemeParkJunkee

dduck (1).gif

NickMaio

Original Poster
Since I cannot actually list all the variables, the fact remains that the person making the decision will judge by what is being done to deserve it and they have put in all the variables to make the judgement. As a unit, we ourselves, consider ourselves to be the best thing since sliced bread. That very seldom proves to be a reality. But the non-flexible part is that is someone else makes that judgment no matter what they base it on.
If you think most people, especially where big Corps are concerned, get based based on what they deserve you could not be further from the truth.
People in general are far more important to business' and corporations that they get in return. Especially the little people at the bottom.
America's average min wage has barely moved since 2009........................2009.
The income gap between the rich and poor has been getting wider every decade. Something is simply not right. Someone's deservedness has zero to do with their income.

Last edited:

NickMaio

Original Poster
We already do that here 24/7. And no perks.
Yes I know - - However this site is not paid for, maintained, or influenced by WDW.....The mom boards are!
The responses on the mom boards are vetted before they are officially posted.

Also none of us here are filming promo videos for rides and park info, being filmed and produced by WDW.

It is an apple and orange comparison.

Tony the Tigger

Yes I know - - However this site is not paid for, maintained, or influenced by WDW.....The mom boards are!
The responses on the mom boards are vetted before they are officially posted.

Also none of us here are filming promo videos for rides and park info, being filmed and produced by WDW.

It is an apple and orange comparison.

It was tongue in cheek.

But seriously, @Tuvalu should get paid.

Prince-1

Unless you are retired and are just ridiculously bored or fabulously wealthy no one should work for free at Disney (and even then the old and the rich should get a paycheck).

eliza61nyc

I think another poster said this but maybe the problem is they don't consider it work. I heard Michael Jordan speak to a bunch of young college graduates about the usual "follow your passion" stuff, where he said he never consider playing basketball as a job. now of course he was reminded that he indeed had a boss, contract etc but He claims that he would have played for free.

lol, now of course when you worth a gazillion dollars you can say magnanimous stuff like that but his point might fit well in this instance.

Maybe the mom panelist don't see it as a "job", that many say they already do what they do on this panel anyway with friends and on line

No Name

Wow look at all those Monsters Inc Laugh Floors! 😍

Okay seriously, applying to essentially volunteer for a multi billion dollar corporation is bizarre. I would love to see inside their minds. I am a big fan of themed entertainment and likewise enjoy what Disney has done in leading that. But Disney is a business and so I treat it like one. Also calling is the Moms Panel is questionable.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Anyone here volunteer time to their local for-profit (or not-for-profit-but-making-huge-bucks-for-the-executives) hospital? Think about it...

I already volunteer my time at a major world-class museum, so I can see a case for volunteering some time to Disney. I'd only hope that in return they'd offer amenities and perquisites roughly comparable to those paid CMs performing similar duties.

Smiley/OCD

Just my two cents into this discussion...I'm 55 and grew up in NJ...my first "official" job was pumping gas at 14 (with working papers) for $3.35/hour. My dream career was radio. In 1984, I worked as a full time on air disc jockey/ and music director for a small market radio station that was an hour (60 miles) from my home (still living with mom & dad). My SALARY for a 6 day week was $200.00/wk AND I had to pay for half of my health insurance out of pocket. If you want to make the argument, THAT was close to slave labor, however, I NEVER saw it that way. I LOVED what I did, it was my dream job and I always woke up at 3:30 am without an alarm, because I loved what I did. I took that entry level on air job with eyes wide open. I knew that if I was going to make the BIG radio bucks, I would have to move every few years to slightly larger markets around the country to "cut my teeth" and eventually make it to a major market (NYC, LA, etc.) I had a second job in a record store (which made me fall in love with the music business and retail), and thus, my retail management career was born. I was never willing to move to other small market "gigs" throughout the country, so I made the decision to leave radio and voice over work and keep my love with music alive by working first part time, then full time, then managing and finally owning a record store.

My rambling point is this...I never, (nor did any of my friends), felt entitled to housing, which is why we all lived at home with our parents (with me, until the day I got married at 29), and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. No one in my generation i.e. my friends, ever felt that a place to live was a right...owning a home or a condo or even living by ones self for that matter. It was always something to aspire for. I worked hard and bought my own home six months before I got married.

I never remember my parents ever feeling that a domicile was a right. My parents both worked and we lived paycheck to paycheck on good weeks.

As far as the DCP goes, my oldest DD was a DCP cast member 2 years ago...she made 10.00/hr and loved it. she didn't do it for the money per se, she did it because it was Disney. We have a neighbor who's daughter did 3 stints with the DCP and was offered a full time management position at WDW. It can be done, but the willingness to do without has to be there in order to achieve the goal. You may have to go without the latest smart phone, go without Starbucks everyday, not subscribe to Netflix, have every game format etc, but with a few room mates, a SIMPLE lifestyle can be achieved. Yes, the opportunity for advancement is there IF, and only IF, the initiative to succeed and advance with more responsibilities is there.

IMHO, I think the big disconnect with everyone today is entitlement. If you have to live on someone's sofa for a year or 2, you suck it up and do it. A domicile, a college education, health insurance, hell even a drivers license and owning a car is not a right, it's a PRIVILEGE. I don't think working for Disney whether as a CM or as a member of the DCP is slave labor. My grandfather who came over from Europe in the early 1900's, worked as a tailor 60+ hours in a sweatshop for less than 10 bucks a week...THAT was slave labor...yet somehow, they managed to live in a 6 family house during the depression in Newark, NJ and raise 4 kids. They never griped, didn't look for handouts (there wasn't public assistance), they just did it. No one is entitled to earn an living wage working at WDW or fast food, etc. You like working there? You strive to advance, work your way up the ladder and if you work hard enough, success will find you. If it doesn't, perhaps you should take a REAL, HARD look in the nearest mirror.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom